Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
House passes bill to raise minimum wage to $15 an hour

(This post was last modified: 07-23-2019, 10:23 AM by B2hibry.)

Now Talib is calling for $20 an hour. Amazing.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-23-2019, 10:23 AM)B2hibry Wrote: Now Talib is calling for $20 an hour. Amazing.

You get a house, you get a house, you get a house, everyone gets a house! $50 minimum wage!

There's a hidden issue beneath the surface of all of this too. Just because you make more money in life doesn't mean it makes life that much any easier. If you don't have any self control, budgeting skills, saving plans, etc.

You'll piss through that paycheck faster than you can blink. Especially in today's age where you can order virtually anything through your phone at any given point in time.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 07-23-2019, 10:39 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

$20 an hour equates to around 40K a year if you work full time. A lot of office workers don't make this kind of money. It will be hard to convince people that salting fries is worth this type of money.

It is ironic that the goal of the Democrats is to destroy the middle class.

(07-23-2019, 10:38 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: $20 an hour equates to around 40K a year if you work full time. A lot of office workers don't make this kind of money. It will be hard to convince people that salting fries is worth this type of money.

The middle class has been dying for awhile now. At least depending on where you get your information from. It's hard to define it. Plenty of blame to go around for that. 

For every article regarding "The Death Of The Middle Class" you'll get a counter argument article titled "The Exaggerated Death Of The Middle Class". 

The ideologies in this Country are uniquely frustrating. It's impossible to find common ground here.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(07-23-2019, 10:45 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 10:38 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: $20 an hour equates to around 40K a year if you work full time. A lot of office workers don't make this kind of money. It will be hard to convince people that salting fries is worth this type of money.

The middle class has been dying for awhile now. At least depending on where you get your information from. It's hard to define it. Plenty of blame to go around for that. 

For every article regarding "The Death Of The Middle Class" you'll get a counter argument article titled "The Exaggerated Death Of The Middle Class". 

The ideologies in this Country are uniquely frustrating. It's impossible to find common ground here.

Part of the problem is some people think they should continue to be rewarded while making zero effort to improve themselves.

(07-23-2019, 10:47 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 10:45 AM)Caldrac Wrote: The middle class has been dying for awhile now. At least depending on where you get your information from. It's hard to define it. Plenty of blame to go around for that. 

Part of the problem is some people think they should continue to be rewarded while making zero effort to improve themselves.

[Image: quote-people-will-come-to-love-their-opp...-48-99.jpg]

(07-23-2019, 11:00 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 10:47 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Part of the problem is some people think they should continue to be rewarded while making zero effort to improve themselves.

[Image: quote-people-will-come-to-love-their-opp...-48-99.jpg]

Yeah, that sounds about right regarding Trump followers. Didn't Donald say pretty much the same thing when he claimed he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and not lose any supporters?

lol ... Stroud is the Dr Phil of the message board. He actually thinks he knows what "they" are like and what "they" are thinking and what motivates "them". I wonder if he's ever met one of "them"?
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 07-23-2019, 12:59 PM by jj82284.)

Thomas sowell is somewhere just having a chuckle.

Min Wage should be set by cost of living factors. Let's say NYC implements $15/hour, then a city like Jacksonville should be ~ $10/hour whereas if you go out to somewhere like Starke, it drops to $8/hour.

(07-23-2019, 12:54 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 11:00 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [Image: quote-people-will-come-to-love-their-opp...-48-99.jpg]

Yeah, that sounds about right regarding Trump followers. Didn't Donald say pretty much the same thing when he claimed he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and not lose any supporters?

lol ... Stroud is the Dr Phil of the message board. He actually thinks he knows what "they" are like and what "they" are thinking and what motivates "them". I wonder if he's ever met one of "them"?

You need help of the professional kind.

(07-23-2019, 01:06 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Min Wage should be set by cost of living factors.  Let's say NYC implements $15/hour, then a city like Jacksonville should be ~ $10/hour whereas if you go out to somewhere like Starke,  it drops to $8/hour.

To me, that would seem to create a feedback loop making cities even more expensive.

The cities are supposed to get expensive for a reason.  The price is giving everyone a message, "if you don't NEED to be here, please get a move on out of here."
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

There should be NO federal minimum wage law.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(07-23-2019, 01:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: There should be NO federal minimum wage law.

Agreed

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 07:11 PM by Predator.)

(07-22-2019, 03:00 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-18-2019, 06:19 PM)Jags Wrote: If this somehow gets passed and my waiter/waitress is making 30k-ish I’m not tipping.  I used to be the guy that tipped very well.  My wife would complain about me giving someone 20.00 on a 50.00 bill.  Pretty sure I’m not the only one that does that.  I’d imagine some waiters/waitresses could actually make less.

A waitress or bartender is paid about $2/ hour, plus tips.  At the end of the pay period, the employer has to make sure that the wages plus tips add up to minimum wage.  If they don't, the employer has to pay the difference.  Usually the employee will reveal just enough tips so that the employer doesn't have to pay them more, but hide the rest so as to avoid taxes.
If they keep it that way, just with a higher minimum wage, there'd be little reason for you to change your tipping behavior.  Your generous tip could still be the one that bumps them up and over minimum wage.
But, side note: a lot of wait staff could actually reduce their tax burden by fully reporting their tips.  If they aren't anyone's dependent, and have a dependent, they are probably leaving EITC benefits on the table when they hide some of their income.

Earning between $14300 and $18700 gets you the max possible payout with children and that's with the max claim of 3 children. Anything less than $14300or over $18700, the amount of EIC received decreases.

So there is no need to claim more than $14300 which is typically a fraction of what the average server makes.

The only people who could possibly benefit from claiming more taxes is someone who barely worked that year.

Nothing stirs up Trumpettes like The Squad. You all don't seem to realize how little real impact they have beyond the content of my previous sentence.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

More automation being tested...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/piz...der-system
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(07-26-2019, 12:45 PM)B2hibry Wrote: More automation being tested...

There's another pizza business that does this with a truck that makes it on the go. So by the time it's delivered to your door it's as fresh as possible. Not like the "heat wave" thing that Domino's was doing or does now. This was a legit machine making a fresh pizza from scratch in transit with a conveyor belt in the back, etc. 

Taco Bell can now be delivered to your house. Along with a beer or two. The future is finally here.

(07-26-2019, 12:50 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

There's another pizza business that does this with a truck that makes it on the go. So by the time it's delivered to your door it's as fresh as possible. Not like the "heat wave" thing that Domino's was doing or does now. This was a legit machine making a fresh pizza from scratch in transit with a conveyor belt in the back, etc. 

Taco Bell can now be delivered to your house. Along with a beer or two. The future is finally here.

Taco Bell has been a part of the future for a LONG time.

[Image: Screen%2BShot%2B2018-07-02%2Bat%2B7.06.06%2BAM.png]

My Little Caesars out here in Orlando area has that system already.  
I should download the app so my pizza is waiting for me next time wifey says there ain't no time to cook...
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.