Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2019 Training Camp (Updates)

(07-22-2019, 04:29 PM)scottyg Wrote: Woods... Bizarre...  How do you retire from something when you haven't done it yet?

Probably just realized he was in over his head, injury or not. 

The gripe on him was that he has really stiff hips, plays too upright, and has coverage skills so lacking that even his 4.29 speed wasn't enough to make up for bad angles and poor awareness. 

He probably got dusted in the mini camp enough to realize it wasn't going to go well.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm not that confident in the O-Line, but I hope they surprise me. As far as questions, I have two. Who will the starting linebackers be? With Smith gone, I still believe the best matchups would be to move Myles Jack to WLB and start Jake Ryan in the middle. Jack shows the production and athleticism to play any LB position and Ryan is a pure MLB. I believe Jack could thrive at WLB and Ryan, if healthy, could be very good in the middle. I also wanna know who is gonna step up and be Foles' "go to" target.

(07-22-2019, 05:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm not that confident in the O-Line, but I hope they surprise me. As far as questions, I have two. Who will the starting linebackers be? With Smith gone, I still believe the best matchups would be to move Myles Jack to WLB and start Jake Ryan in the middle. Jack shows the production and athleticism to play any LB position and Ryan is a pure MLB. I believe Jack could thrive at WLB and Ryan, if healthy, could be very good in the middle. I also wanna know who is gonna step up and be Foles' "go to" target.

They seem dead set on Jack in the middle and the rookie Williams on the weak side. 
Ryan may end up in a battle for the strong side if he's healthy soon.

(07-22-2019, 04:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/JohnReid64/status/11...46818?s=20

(07-22-2019, 04:47 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 04:29 PM)scottyg Wrote: Woods... Bizarre...  How do you retire from something when you haven't done it yet?

This too was my first sentiments. Somebody has some splaining to do in my Lucile Ball voice...

NH3...

(07-22-2019, 05:06 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: That just sounds dumb.  I have no idea what would make a professional athlete retire from turf toe, unless he was just doubting he would make the final 53 and didnt want to risk making it worse.  If he felt like he would never make the cut then i guess, but you havent even tried yet.  Well bullet dodged, because with that mentality, he wouldnt have made the cut anyway.

He was an un-drafted rookie that probably wouldn't have made the final 53 anyway.  It's not like he is a early round draft pick.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2019, 05:33 PM by Bullseye.)

(07-22-2019, 05:06 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: That just sounds dumb.  I have no idea what would make a professional athlete retire from turf toe, unless he was just doubting he would make the final 53 and didnt want to risk making it worse.  If he felt like he would never make the cut then i guess, but you havent even tried yet.  Well bullet dodged, because with that mentality, he wouldnt have made the cut anyway.

Jack Lambert retired with turf toe issues.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee...0710140234

Hopefully, the young man made the right decision for himself.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(07-22-2019, 05:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 05:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm not that confident in the O-Line, but I hope they surprise me. As far as questions, I have two. Who will the starting linebackers be? With Smith gone, I still believe the best matchups would be to move Myles Jack to WLB and start Jake Ryan in the middle. Jack shows the production and athleticism to play any LB position and Ryan is a pure MLB. I believe Jack could thrive at WLB and Ryan, if healthy, could be very good in the middle. I also wanna know who is gonna step up and be Foles' "go to" target.

They seem pretty set on Jack in the middle and the rookie Williams on the weak side. 

I'd keep Ryan at backup MLB before I'd move him to the strong side. He's a pure MLB. Admittedly, I know very little about Williams. I hope the team just isn't expecting too much out of the kid. WLB is a very important position on the defense and personally, I'd rather have some experience out there until we're sure Williams is ready.

On a related note, I'm wondering if Telvin Smith somehow gets the urge to play.  As disloyal to him as it sounds, I'm hoping he doesn't report this year because I want his cap money allocated to be able to sign Yannick.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2019, 11:38 PM by Eric1.)

(07-22-2019, 05:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

They seem dead set on Jack in the middle and the rookie Williams on the weak side. 

As they should be. 

I think the talk around here of moving Jack to the WLB was just people trying to make something out of nothing.

The best thing they can do is try and get Williams up to speed as fast as possible. The best way to do that is by sticking him in the fire from day 1. Moving Jack to WLB will just slow down Williams' development. While ultimately making another hole at MLB and basically wasting a 3rd round draft pick to just play ST.

If Ryan is healthy, he should definitely battle with Jacobs (and the others) for the starting SLB job. Ryan is a liability in pass coverage though and I think if he was the starting MLB, he'd get taken advantage of in that area.

(07-22-2019, 11:29 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 05:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They seem dead set on Jack in the middle and the rookie Williams on the weak side. 

As they should be. 

I think the talk around here of moving Jack to the WLB was just people trying to make something out of nothing.

The best thing they can do is try and get Williams up to speed as fast as possible. The best way to do that is by sticking him in the fire from day 1. Moving Jack to WLB will just slow down Williams' development. While ultimately making another hole at MLB and basically wasting a 3rd round draft pick to just play ST.

If Ryan is healthy, he should definitely battle with Jacobs (and the others) for the starting SLB job. Ryan is a liability in pass coverage though and I think if he was the starting MLB, he'd get taken advantage of in that area.

Bolded:  Oh I don't think it's something out of nothing because his skill set (that we've seen thus far)  does seem on the surface to be best suited for the will spot.  HOWEVER,  I firmly believe he deserves a chance to round out his MLB skill set with another year there.  And I'm glad he will likely get that. His potential is vast if he gets a little smarter vs the run. 

I agree with you on Williams' and Ryan's best trajectories as well.

(07-22-2019, 05:31 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Jack Lambert retired with turf toe issues.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee...0710140234

Hopefully, the young man made the right decision for himself.
Unless he had a job offer that needed a decision before the end of August, he made the wrong choice. He could have wait while not practicing until the Jags waived him or put him on IR. The he gets paid and if he is on the IR, the he gets paid a lot more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

(07-23-2019, 12:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-22-2019, 11:29 PM)Eric1 Wrote: As they should be. 

Bolded:  Oh I don't think it's something out of nothing because his skill set (that we've seen thus far)  does seem on the surface to be best suited for the will spot.  HOWEVER,  I firmly believe he deserves a chance to round out his MLB skill set with another year there.  And I'm glad he will likely get that. His potential is vast if he gets a little smarter vs the run. 

Don't get me wrong, I think Jack would excel at the Will no question. My point is that moving him to a new position for the 3rd time in 4 seasons doesn't do anybody any good. Not him, or this Defense. Moving him would just make bigger issues all around on this Defense.

And honestly, I do think its people making something out of nothing, because nobody complained about Jack at MLB in 2017, when this Defense was playing at an unreal level. This Defense went from playing at an all time great level in 2017, to just a really good Defense in 2018 (was still a top 5 Defense in the league) and all of a sudden people want to point blame at Jack.

This Defense was still really, really good last year, we were just spoiled with how incredible the Defense was in 2017. Our Defense last year just got hampered by how god awful our Offense was. Which makes it even that more impressive that they were still a top Defense in the league.

(07-23-2019, 06:10 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 12:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Bolded:  Oh I don't think it's something out of nothing because his skill set (that we've seen thus far)  does seem on the surface to be best suited for the will spot.  HOWEVER,  I firmly believe he deserves a chance to round out his MLB skill set with another year there.  And I'm glad he will likely get that. His potential is vast if he gets a little smarter vs the run. 

Don't get me wrong, I think Jack would excel at the Will no question. My point is that moving him to a new position for the 3rd time in 4 seasons doesn't do anybody any good. Not him, or this Defense. Moving him would just make bigger issues all around on this Defense.

And honestly, I do think its people making something out of nothing, because nobody complained about Jack at MLB in 2017, when this Defense was playing at an unreal level. This Defense went from playing at an all time great level in 2017, to just a really good Defense in 2018 (was still a top 5 Defense in the league) and all of a sudden people want to point blame at Jack.

This Defense was still really, really good last year, we were just spoiled with how incredible the Defense was in 2017. Our Defense last year just got hampered by how god awful our Offense was. Which makes it even that more impressive that they were still a top Defense in the league.
Jack was splitting reps with Poz in 2017. The complaints came when Jack had to stop the run more often.

(07-22-2019, 04:25 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/johnoehser/status/11...52928?s=21

That roster spot will be filled by bringing back this back up big end:

https://twitter.com/nfltrade_rumors/stat...24994?s=20

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1153...56128?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(07-23-2019, 03:06 PM)knarnn Wrote: https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1153...56128?s=21

Just hope he is ready to go by week 1...preferably week3 in preseason.

(This post was last modified: 07-23-2019, 04:53 PM by Bullseye.)

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/2019...to-address

(07-23-2019, 04:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/1...68033?s=20

Looking awfully thin at LB to start camo.

(07-23-2019, 04:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/1...68033?s=20

Whats up with Armstead.  I missed the injury i think.

Also, thanks to whomever posted the steelers injury with the turf toe.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(07-23-2019, 05:07 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Whats up with Armstead.  I missed the injury i think.

Also, thanks to whomever posted the steelers injury with the turf toe.

Hamstring.

(07-23-2019, 09:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 06:10 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I think Jack would excel at the Will no question. My point is that moving him to a new position for the 3rd time in 4 seasons doesn't do anybody any good. Not him, or this Defense. Moving him would just make bigger issues all around on this Defense.

Jack was splitting reps with Poz in 2017. The complaints came when Jack had to stop the run more often.

Poz played 478 snaps on Defense in 2017. Jack played 1013 snaps.