Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Welp...looks like a holdout.

Jags' Yannick Ngakoue will hold out of training camp

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...ining-camp

Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Yannick Ngakoue skipped mandatory minicamp last month and is not expected to report to training camp on Wednesday, according to Ian Rapoport.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

For all you numbers people. Is it remotely possible for the Jags to be able to extend Yannick and Ramsey?
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(07-24-2019, 07:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: It is time to do away with multi-year contracts. If players can't honor the contracts they sign, what is the use of them? Look at the definition of the word contract. It is pretty clear.

He should have performed better in college and got drafted higher. Honor your contract man.

I just picture you yelling at children when they go to retrieve stuff from your lawn.

You wouldn't be saying this in his place and the argument should end there.

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 09:16 AM by knarnn.)

(07-24-2019, 08:40 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: For all you numbers people. Is it remotely possible for the Jags to be able to extend Yannick and Ramsey?

Without clearing out some rather large contracts? No. Next year with likely cuts/restructures to Dareus/Campbell/Boyue/Telvin etc - Yes.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(07-24-2019, 09:01 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 07:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: It is time to do away with multi-year contracts. If players can't honor the contracts they sign, what is the use of them? Look at the definition of the word contract. It is pretty clear.

He should have performed better in college and got drafted higher. Honor your contract man.

I just picture you yelling at children when they go to retrieve stuff from your lawn.

You wouldn't be saying this in his place and the argument should end there.

Quite the opposite actually.

I just value integrity. Not going to apologize for that.

Yes, Yann is worth more, there are other players in line ahead of him and he is working from a valid contract. This is the situation that Jax has avoided with mediocre players and we all knew we'd eventually get to the time of hard decisions. This holdout is not helpful for either party. Sadly, situations like this seemingly end up with a player lighter in the pockets and injured. Anyone come up with supporting info that correlates injury to holdouts?
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

https://twitter.com/mattverderame/status...91616?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

While I don't disagree with you that I wish players would honor the contracts they sign, I have moved a bit away from that position. Unless the contract is guaranteed (and few if any are FULLY guaranteed in the NFL) the team can cut the player at any time and avoid paying the full contract amount that they agreed to pay. As long as the team has that option, the player should also have the right to walk away.

(07-24-2019, 10:11 AM)Perkolater Wrote:

While I don't disagree with you that I wish players would honor the contracts they sign, I have moved a bit away from that position.    Unless the contract is guaranteed (and few if any are FULLY guaranteed in the NFL) the team can cut the player at any time and avoid paying the full contract amount that they agreed to pay.   As long as the team has that option, the player should also have the right to walk away.

^^^

This guy gets it.

So, release Norwell and Darius to make room? Those seem to be the easier positions to replace and get the most bang.

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 11:13 AM by irontrooper83.)

(07-24-2019, 10:38 AM)B2hibry Wrote: So, release Norwell and Darius to make room? Those seem to be the easier positions to replace and get the most bang.

This year they can't/won't be released as we wouldn't save anything. Next year Dareus is gone with that cap hit, but next year it won't be a problem anyway as have a lot of players we can cut/restructure to create a boatload of cap space.
It's this year with the Bortles dead money entirely on the cap that makes it more tricky. They can move some money around, they can even cut a guy like A.Jones who has no dead money or restructure others or simply wait till Telvin's money are freed up.

I think both parts are playing their game, Yannick deserves a new deal of course. The thing is that over the past few years the next in line for a contract always wants to be the highest paid player in the league at his position. Since it has worked for others maybe that's what he's asking and maybe that's what the Jags have a "problem" with. And since they have the franchise tag at their disposal ahead and just drafted Josh Allen they have some cards to play.

I understand fans/players frustrated after seeing that unnecessary Bortles contract but on the other hand we were all happy when Telvin got paid a couple of years ago, was made a team captain and look at what happened. Team has the right to feel cautious, now they don't have to lowball him but it's not like they have to give him whatever he asks just cause they messed up before.

I still think a deal gets done after the Telvin Smith situation is solved.

So how much relief will they get next year with Bortles contract? Does that go away? I'm guessing for next year, Campbell is gone. I hope Dareus is able to restructure. Not sure about Bouye or Jack.

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 11:25 AM by irontrooper83.)

(07-24-2019, 11:13 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: So how much relief will they get next year with Bortles contract? Does that go away?  I'm guessing for next year, Campbell is gone. I hope Dareus is able to restructure. Not sure about Bouye or Jack.

Bortles contract won't be on the booksat all  next year as it counts entirely this year. (Can't remember if the cap hit is 16.5 or 21.5 this year, anyway they didn't cut him with post june designation so the money is all on this year's cap)

Dareus has a 22,5M caphit and being released he will save 20M
Campbell saves 15M
Linder has no dead money on the contract so he either saves 8 or we can restructure him
DJ Hayden saves 6M
Marquise Lee saves 5.5 (with 3.5 in dead money)
ABry Jones has no dead money left so he would save us 4M

Of course we don't have to cut them all, just shows we can create a lot of space if we want.

Those are without counting the Smith situation or guys like Ryan who are on a prove it deal basis (he would count 6.2M against the cap next year but if cut saves us 6M) or guys like Bouye who can either be cut or restructured.
Bouye would save us 11.5M with 4M in dead money.
Even Fournette if the league rules that we had the right to void his guarantees can probably be cut saving 4.4M.

Lots of flexibility ahead anyway. Smile

(07-24-2019, 08:40 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: For all you numbers people. Is it remotely possible for the Jags to be able to extend Yannick and Ramsey?

When they are able to get Telvin's money off the books for 2019, they could work out something Ngakoue conceivably.  His initial signing bonus would end up being on the small side with a boost in 2020, but they could get him in for a 4-5 year deal at 18 mil per year with around 60% guaranteed. 

Jalen will have to with till 2020 and Jack (if he earns it this year) may have to play under a tag before being extended.

Clearing money after 2019 to sign Ramsey will not be a problem. Not at all. 

*  Campbell will either prove miraculously immune to father time, or he'll start to show it. That will be a $15 mil savings to release him or a big decrease in that number to re-work his deal. 

*  Dareus is due 22.5 mil in 2020. He'll either rework, or be released saving 20 million. 

*  Releasing Linder if he continues to miss games saves $8 million. 

*  Releasing Marquise Lee will save $5 mil

*  moving on from Norwell will save $5.5 million

*  If Bouye struggles or a cheaper replacement is identified his release will save $11.5 million in 2020

*  If Telvin does not return - his allotted hit of nearly $13 million will be free, if he's released it still saves 7.2 million

You can bet your bottom dollar that 3 of these 7 possibilities are going to happen and possibly more.  
The cap will also increase by 15-20 million dollars if history holds true moving forward. 

Money isn't going to be a problem next year unless they make some weird big splash in free agency, which is highly unlikely.

(07-24-2019, 11:23 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 11:13 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: So how much relief will they get next year with Bortles contract? Does that go away?  I'm guessing for next year, Campbell is gone. I hope Dareus is able to restructure. Not sure about Bouye or Jack.

Bortles contract won't be on the booksat all  next year as it counts entirely this year. (Can't remember if the cap hit is 16.5 or 21.5 this year, anyway they didn't cut him with post june designation so the money is all on this year's cap)

Campbell saves 15M
Linder has no dead money on the contract so he either saves 8 or we can restructure him
DJ Hayden saves 6M

Of course we don't have to cut them all, just shows we can create a lot of space if we want.

Those are without counting the Smith situation or guys like Ryan who are on a prove it deal basis (he would count 6.2M against the cap next year but if cut saves us 6M) or guys like Bouye who can either be cut or restructured.
Bouye would save us 11.5M with 4M in dead money.
Even Fournette if the league rules that we had the right to void his guarantees can probably be cut saving 4.4M.

Lots of flexibility ahead anyway. Smile

Yep. All of that was further indicated when they drafted Harrison - Cut Church and Gipson. Drafted Bryan - Cut Jackson. Traded Fowler Jr. away and drafted Josh Allen. Telvin Smith also just saw his replacement drafted in Quincy Williams as well. 

They'll continue to draft talent and hope it pans out while letting the veterans go. They'll just keep on making moves until the cap balances back out. Regardless of how well Foles pans out this year and/or next year they'll be looking to draft his successor in the near future as well unless that Minshew kid develops into a Jimmy G. type.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

[Image: 67810209_2649027595121703_43413046244147...e=5DE04F26]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(07-24-2019, 11:45 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 11:23 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Bortles contract won't be on the booksat all  next year as it counts entirely this year. (Can't remember if the cap hit is 16.5 or 21.5 this year, anyway they didn't cut him with post june designation so the money is all on this year's cap)

Campbell saves 15M
DJ Hayden saves 6M

Yep. All of that was further indicated when they drafted Harrison - Cut Church and Gipson. Drafted Bryan - Cut Jackson. Traded Fowler Jr. away and drafted Josh Allen. Telvin Smith also just saw his replacement drafted in Quincy Williams as well. 

They'll continue to draft talent and hope it pans out while letting the veterans go.
They'll just keep on making moves until the cap balances back out. Regardless of how well Foles pans out this year and/or next year they'll be looking to draft his successor in the near future as well unless that Minshew kid develops into a Jimmy G. type.
 This is exactly how you maintain a competitive roster and lengthen that "window" everyone thinks is shrinking. 

A couple of the players on these lists of pricey contracts are very likely replaced by rookies or second year players in 2020   -  and that will go a long way to keeping our better draft picks for large second contracts.

Jags reportedly offered a deal worth over 19 mil per year, but something assumed to be less than 4 years in length. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/0...ck-ngakoue

(07-24-2019, 10:11 AM)Perkolater Wrote:

While I don't disagree with you that I wish players would honor the contracts they sign, I have moved a bit away from that position.    Unless the contract is guaranteed (and few if any are FULLY guaranteed in the NFL) the team can cut the player at any time and avoid paying the full contract amount that they agreed to pay.   As long as the team has that option, the player should also have the right to walk away.

Then I'd be for going for shorter term contracts at a higher value if the player is willing to take on the risk of injury.

(07-24-2019, 11:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Jags reportedly offered a deal worth over 19 mil per year, but something assumed to be less than 4 years in length. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/0...ck-ngakoue
Could we assume that this was an affordable (Jags point of view) good faith effort to get Yann earned money and then hash out a bigger deal when books are cleared in that 2-year period that was rumored to be the contract length? That seems respectable to me.