Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Welp...looks like a holdout.

The money isn't far off (maybe a mill or two more) the hold up appears to be structure after those 2 years.

I suspect the deal is very close, Yans side is just trying for one last run at the best terms they can before signing. They want more future proofing is what we can probably assume

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-24-2019, 12:03 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 11:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Jags reportedly offered a deal worth over 19 mil per year, but something assumed to be less than 4 years in length. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/0...ck-ngakoue
Could we assume that this was an affordable (Jags point of view) good faith effort to get Yann earned money and then hash out a bigger deal when books are cleared in that 2-year period that was rumored to be the contract length? That seems respectable to me.

The gauranteed  number is the key to a short term contract. The Jags would have to make it almost fully gauranteed to make it worth it for Yan

The incentive for Yan is a 3rd contract in his prime but he would need to protect himself versus injury by demanding a high gauranteed figure for this coming contract

(07-24-2019, 12:03 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 11:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Jags reportedly offered a deal worth over 19 mil per year, but something assumed to be less than 4 years in length. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/0...ck-ngakoue
Could we assume that this was an affordable (Jags point of view) good faith effort to get Yann earned money and then hash out a bigger deal when books are cleared in that 2-year period that was rumored to be the contract length? That seems respectable to me.

I think the short term deal offer may be about the looming new CBA. 

Could actually be beneficial to the player by getting a better deal under the next CBA, or agreeing to and extension after it takes effect.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/...92032?s=20

If this is true ^  I think they'll get this thing ironed out in the next week or so as Yannick will likely come back to the table with that much money sitting there. 

Not much to complain about there unless it's a three year deal.  Most deals are really only 2 or 3 year deals anyway due to the team option/out-clause included in most of them.

(07-24-2019, 01:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/...92032?s=20

If this is true ^  I think they'll get this thing ironed out in the next week or so as Yannick will likely come back to the table with that much money sitting there. 

Not much to complain about there unless it's a three year deal.  Most deals are really only 2 or 3 year deals anyway due to the team option/out-clause included in most of them.

DLaw got 48 million at signing

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 02:29 PM by Cleatwood.)

(07-24-2019, 09:33 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 09:01 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I just picture you yelling at children when they go to retrieve stuff from your lawn.

You wouldn't be saying this in his place and the argument should end there.

Quite the opposite actually.

I just value integrity. Not going to apologize for that.
Wait.... so the owners have integrity for giving these players non guaranteed contracts? How about how coaches can just quit and sign with a new team?

And you say he should have played better in college?! He did quite well but it’s very clear now he wasn’t drafted properly.

He’s so grossly underpaid it’s actually hilarious. He has outperformed his contract every single season and is negotiating for a new one. There is absolutely not a single thing wrong with this. I’m not shocked you’re siding with the owners though.....

And just to make it even more interesting, the Jags extended Linder before his rookie deal ended. That deal made him the highest paid center and he wasn’t even close to being the best center.

Now it comes time to pay someone who deserves it and they don’t know what to do?

PAY THE MAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!!! He doesn't need to be paid like the #1 DE, but his numbers are there to prove he might be. Give him a 5 year deal...... They better not mess this and Ramsey up. Cornerstone Players!! Get it done Dave and TC.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(07-24-2019, 03:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: And just to make it even more interesting, the Jags extended Linder before his rookie deal ended. That deal made him the highest paid center and he wasn’t even close to being the best center.

Now it comes time to pay someone who deserves it and they don’t know what to do?

Great point. I can’t believe they don’t just pay the man.

(07-24-2019, 10:11 AM)Perkolater Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 07:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: It is time to do away with multi-year contracts. If players can't honor the contracts they sign, what is the use of them? Look at the definition of the word contract. It is pretty clear.

He should have performed better in college and got drafted higher. Honor your contract man.

While I don't disagree with you that I wish players would honor the contracts they sign, I have moved a bit away from that position. Unless the contract is guaranteed (and few if any are FULLY guaranteed in the NFL) the team can cut the player at any time and avoid paying the full contract amount that they agreed to pay. As long as the team has that option, the player should also have the right to walk away.
(07-24-2019, 10:31 AM)knarnn Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 10:11 AM)Perkolater Wrote: While I don't disagree with you that I wish players would honor the contracts they sign, I have moved a bit away from that position.    Unless the contract is guaranteed (and few if any are FULLY guaranteed in the NFL) the team can cut the player at any time and avoid paying the full contract amount that they agreed to pay.   As long as the team has that option, the player should also have the right to walk away.

^^^

This guy gets it.
(07-24-2019, 12:02 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 10:11 AM)Perkolater Wrote: While I don't disagree with you that I wish players would honor the contracts they sign, I have moved a bit away from that position.    Unless the contract is guaranteed (and few if any are FULLY guaranteed in the NFL) the team can cut the player at any time and avoid paying the full contract amount that they agreed to pay.   As long as the team has that option, the player should also have the right to walk away.

Then I'd be for going for shorter term contracts at a higher value if the player is willing to take on the risk of injury.
For all the grips about guaranteed contracts, there is nothing stopping the players from signing then right now. Contracts are already structured with outs after 2 or 3 years. For some reason, they want 4-5 year deals when they know they won't play on year 4 and 5. They also want better deals when others get raises or they perform well (which is what they are paid to do).

I don't know if it is agents wanting the larger #s to impress people or what, I think they get paid in the money when paid out, not at signing. Players need to start signing shorter deals and then they can complain about contracts every 2 years and no need to hold out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

(07-24-2019, 01:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/...92032?s=20

Sounds like the right baseline number for him.  Probably not enough of it was guaranteed.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-24-2019, 03:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: And just to make it even more interesting, the Jags extended Linder before his rookie deal ended. That deal made him the highest paid center and he wasn’t even close to being the best center.

A center/guard != a pass rusher.  You are trying to compare apples to oranges.  Also Linder may not be the "best" center (PFF had him listed as 3rd best in 2016), but he has been a pretty good asset to the team and I would say that he "deserves" the contract that he got.

While I agree that Ngakoue certainly earned a new deal I very much don't advocate "just paying the man".  A 3 year deal worth $19M per year with $50M guaranteed is really not a bad deal in my opinion.  It looks to me like he probably wants a longer term deal and more up-front money.

If I had to guess I would say that his contract (when he does sign) is going to be pretty close to that.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(07-24-2019, 03:38 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: PAY THE MAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!!! He doesn't need to be paid like the #1 DE, but his numbers are there to prove he might be. Give him a 5 year deal...... They better not mess this and Ramsey up. Cornerstone Players!! Get it done Dave and TC.

They tried to pay him, he didnt sign

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 06:21 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(07-24-2019, 11:47 AM)Dimson Wrote: [Image: 67810209_2649027595121703_43413046244147...e=5DE04F26]

Lol, told you. The guy is delusional. Hey Yannick how about you at least finish top 5 in sacks before you ask for top 3 money?

He won't be re-signed this year, and if they do it'll be a dumb move if they give him top 3 money.

Linder didn't deserve it, neither does Yannick. 

You do realize he was like #23 in sacks, right? he is not a top 10 pass rusher, period.

(07-24-2019, 07:54 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 07:45 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: It is time to do away with multi-year contracts. If players can't honor the contracts they sign, what is the use of them? Look at the definition of the word contract. It is pretty clear.

He should have performed better in college and got drafted higher. Honor your contract man.

And the team can cut or trade him at anytime. It works both ways. It’s about the money for these players, they are putting their body on the line and trying to maximize their earnings in as little time as possible, because as mentioned above, loyalty from the team can be sparse sometimes. 

I don’t like it, but it’s the reality. And as others pointed out above, the FO was happy to throw money to Bortles. Pay the man

QB is the most valuable position on the team.  DE is important, but replaceable even for a stud talent.  If you want to get paid more, learn how to spin the ball.

I think the players should go to the wall in the next CBA for fully guaranteed contracts.  On the other hand, I think owners in the NFL (and NBA)  should go to the wall on players honoring their contracts.  Holding out because you want a new contract is not honorable.  Negotiate.  Tell them if they don't come to a compromise to get you a better contract that you will not resign when you become a free agent.  But don't hold out.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(07-24-2019, 06:32 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 07:54 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: And the team can cut or trade him at anytime. It works both ways. It’s about the money for these players, they are putting their body on the line and trying to maximize their earnings in as little time as possible, because as mentioned above, loyalty from the team can be sparse sometimes. 

I don’t like it, but it’s the reality. And as others pointed out above, the FO was happy to throw money to Bortles. Pay the man

QB is the most valuable position on the team.  DE is important, but replaceable even for a stud talent.  If you want to get paid more, learn how to spin the ball.

Then why did it take us 13 years to draft another stud DE after Brackens retired? 

Stud pass rushers are not always that easy to replace and a guy with an elite number of pressures is going to get an elite contract in this league.

(07-23-2019, 08:41 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 07:45 PM)knarnn Wrote: Well at least they were negotiating....

I think I read somewhere that Yannick has until the 2nd week of August to report in order to be able to accrue a year towards FA eligibility. I wouldn’t worry too much about this yet. Deadlines have a way to bring people back to the table.

Plus, at least you know Yannick is staying in shape. He’s constantly posting workout vids on his social media accounts.

August 6th is the date I believe, IIRC.

I remember reading about it when people were talking about the possibility of Zeke holding out.

Regardless, I simply don't understand how this front office can throw money at Bortles saying "he earned it". Then throw a bunch of money at Foles... Only to play hardball with one of the best Pass Rushers in this league and the best young Pass Rusher this franchise has ever had... You know, somebody who has actually "earned it"...  Wallbash

Without remembering how much cap room was available at the time of the Bortles signing, I have to think at face value that cap room is a big factor in the distinction.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(07-24-2019, 12:06 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: This guy thinks he is top 3 DE, and he is probably asking for that.

Sorry Yannick but you are not even a top 10 pass rusher in the NFL.

He has more sacks over the last three years than Joey Bosa, and was 3rdd in the league in QB hits last year with 33-and that's without help from the offense in terms of providing him with big leads.

In 2017, he was 10th in the league in sacks, 1st in the league in forced fumbles.

Do not underestimate his impact for this team.

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 09:37 PM by Bullseye.)

(07-24-2019, 02:47 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 12:22 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Cap space really doesn't mean jack [BLEEP] at the end of the day. There's plenty of stuff out there that shows you how easy it is for teams to move around money and work deals to fit the "cap limit". Front loading contracts, back loading contracts, giving big chunks as signing bonuses etc etc etc. Plenty of info out there on that.

This front office is likely just low balling him like they did Allen Robinson.
Said anyone who doesn't care about winning and would rather the team suffer to pay 1 player.

The reason TC got fired is because he back loaded contracts and the team was dead for almost a decade because of it.

Either he waits 1 week for the cap space to open up and takes a discount for getting a new deal 1 year early or plays and hopes he keeps his performance up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
(emphasis added)

The part in bold is only partially true.

Yes, he signed a bunch of older and expensive free agents and that caused all kinds of cap hell.

But the underlying cause of such a spree was draft day misses.

The team signed Leon Searcy in 1996 because they missed badly on Brian DeMarco in 1995.

They spent on Hardy Nickerson because they missed on Bryan Schwartz.

They spent a lot on Carnell Lake because they missed on Chris Hudson and Mike Logan.

They splurged on Bryce Paup because they missed on Hamilton.

Similarly, because this team wasted a draft pick on the likes of Tyson Alualu, the team had to splurge on Malik Jackson and Marcell Dareus.

The signing of Nick Foles stems from the Bortles failure.

There would be no need for the team to sign Barry Church had they hit on Jon Cyprien.  Eben Britten's failure led to Jermey Parnell.

Having said all of this, the team would do well to retain Ngakoue.

He has been very productive for us, especially considering he hasn't played with many leads.

He is still very young.

His continued presence along the DL gives the defense the best chance to create match up advantages for the D-Line in 2019 and beyond.  The cap will likely force us to jettison Dareus and maybe Campbell next year.  The ream appears to have missed badly on Smoot.  If Ngakoue is gone, we'll be left with one viable pass rusher in Allen-assuming we hit on his pick.

Besides, we have to continue to show players on this team and potential free agents that this team is willing to pay to retain and attract free agents

(07-24-2019, 08:08 AM)NH3 Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 12:22 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Cap space really doesn't mean jack [BLEEP] at the end of the day. There's plenty of stuff out there that shows you how easy it is for teams to move around money and work deals to fit the "cap limit". Front loading contracts, back loading contracts, giving big chunks as signing bonuses etc etc etc. Plenty of info out there on that.

This front office is likely just low balling him like they did Allen Robinson.

First off, the salary cap means everything when an team has said amount of money to spend on said number of players. Second, the Jaguars Did Not "Low Ball" A-Rob. We actually offered him more money to stay in Jacksonville than Chicago is paying him at this moment. We had an Very successful draft class and we now know that it's going to be near impossible to retain Yannick, Jack, Ramsey, Bouye and Campbell w/respect to the existing salary cap. 

We can't retain all of the said players while maintaining our existing salary cap. I know that I wouldn't overspend on my home budget knowing that I don't have the money to cover the expenses. Would You?

I truly want Yannick in place at the start of training camp but it's out of everyone's control except the Jaguars and Yannick. He simply may be asking for too much money. 

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

(Emphasis added)

While I love the production and the intangibles Campbell brings to the defense, the fact is he will be 34 next year.  He can not be realistically be expected to maintain the level of production we've gotten from him the past couple of years.  His cap figure, Dareus' , and Bortles' alone should give us plenty of room to sign Yannick and Ramsey.  Other guys could also be cut later to clear more cap room.

Our cap next year will likely look nothing at all like this year's cap.

Besides, if the figures reported today are true, the team was at least willing to pay Ngakoue among the top 3-4 pass rushers overall.

Cap preservation should not be a reason to avoid signing Ngakoue, under the circumstances.