Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Welp...looks like a holdout.

Well said bullseye. I will be surprised if a deal isn't done within a week or two.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-24-2019, 07:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 06:32 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: QB is the most valuable position on the team.  DE is important, but replaceable even for a stud talent.  If you want to get paid more, learn how to spin the ball.

Then why did it take us 13 years to draft another stud DE after Brackens retired? 

Stud pass rushers are not always that easy to replace and a guy with an elite number of pressures is going to get an elite contract in this league.

Which position is more important?  QB, hands down.  He'll get paid, and probably by the Jaguars.  But in a hard salary cap sport you can't hamstring your cap for a non-QB.  If he holds out, fine him.  Compromise and give him the most generous deal you responsibly can.  But if he doesn't sign, that's on him.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 09:11 PM by Bullseye.)

(07-24-2019, 11:23 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 11:13 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: So how much relief will they get next year with Bortles contract? Does that go away?  I'm guessing for next year, Campbell is gone. I hope Dareus is able to restructure. Not sure about Bouye or Jack.

Bortles contract won't be on the booksat all  next year as it counts entirely this year. (Can't remember if the cap hit is 16.5 or 21.5 this year, anyway they didn't cut him with post june designation so the money is all on this year's cap)

Dareus has a 22,5M caphit and being released he will save 20M
Campbell saves 15M
Linder has no dead money on the contract so he either saves 8 or we can restructure him
DJ Hayden saves 6M
Marquise Lee saves 5.5 (with 3.5 in dead money)
ABry Jones has no dead money left so he would save us 4M

Of course we don't have to cut them all, just shows we can create a lot of space if we want.

Those are without counting the Smith situation or guys like Ryan who are on a prove it deal basis (he would count 6.2M against the cap next year but if cut saves us 6M) or guys like Bouye who can either be cut or restructured.
Bouye would save us 11.5M with 4M in dead money.
Even Fournette if the league rules that we had the right to void his guarantees can probably be cut saving 4.4M.

Lots of flexibility ahead anyway. Smile

Exactamundo.

If you have a productive, healthy, firmly in his prime player at a premium position with no off field problems, at a position the Jaguars have always had problems competently filling, you retain him.

(07-24-2019, 06:18 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 11:47 AM)Dimson Wrote: [Image: 67810209_2649027595121703_43413046244147...e=5DE04F26]

Lol, told you. The guy is delusional. Hey Yannick how about you at least finish top 5 in sacks before you ask for top 3 money?

He won't be re-signed this year, and if they do it'll be a dumb move if they give him top 3 money.

(07-24-2019, 03:37 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: And just to make it even more interesting, the Jags extended Linder before his rookie deal ended. That deal made him the highest paid center and he wasn’t even close to being the best center.

Now it comes time to pay someone who deserves it and they don’t know what to do?

Linder didn't deserve it, neither does Yannick. 

You do realize he was like #23 in sacks, right? he is not a top 10 pass rusher, period.

When you put him in positions to produce, he does just that,.

When he played with leads in 2017, he produced top ten sacks

Even with that, he was 3rd in QB hits last year.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(07-24-2019, 06:18 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Linder didn't deserve it, neither does Yannick. 

You do realize he was like #23 in sacks, right? he is not a top 10 pass rusher, period.
Sacks are merely one stat.  He wreaks havoc as a pass rusher with consistent disruption. 

https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/...29760?s=20

Pay Him to me yanik is the must keep category even more so than Ramsey
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 11:29 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(07-24-2019, 08:33 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 12:06 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: This guy thinks he is top 3 DE, and he is probably asking for that.

Sorry Yannick but you are not even a top 10 pass rusher in the NFL.

He has more sacks over the last three years than Joey Bosa, and was 3rdd in the league in QB hits last year with 33-and that's without help from the offense in terms of providing him with big leads.

In 2017, he was 10th in the league in sacks, 1st in the league in forced fumbles.

Do not underestimate his impact for this team.

Well Bosa did miss like 14 games so... it'd be embarrassing if Yannick didn't have better stats

(07-24-2019, 09:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 06:18 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Linder didn't deserve it, neither does Yannick. 

Sacks are merely one stat.  He wreaks havoc as a pass rusher with consistent disruption. 

Do pressures end the play? because sacks do.

He doesn't deserve top 3 money, period.

(07-24-2019, 11:26 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 08:33 PM)Bullseye Wrote: He has more sacks over the last three years than Joey Bosa, and was 3rdd in the league in QB hits last year with 33-and that's without help from the offense in terms of providing him with big leads.

In 2017, he was 10th in the league in sacks, 1st in the league in forced fumbles.

Do not underestimate his impact for this team.

Well Bosa did miss like 14 games so... it'd be embarrassing if Yannick didn't have better stats

(07-24-2019, 09:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Sacks are merely one stat.  He wreaks havoc as a pass rusher with consistent disruption. 

Imagine being the guy who thinks that sack numbers are a better indicator than pressure numbers are when it comes to rushing the passer...  Laughing

(07-24-2019, 11:48 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 11:26 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Well Bosa did miss like 14 games so... it'd be embarrassing if Yannick didn't have better stats

Imagine being the guy who thinks that sack numbers are a better indicator than pressure numbers are when it comes to rushing the passer...  Laughing

who would that guy be? nobody has said that...

I guess that's the best you can do

Whatever we paid Linder (or anyone else) at the time shouldn't impact how we do things with Ngakoue.
When we paid Linder we had so much cap space and rollover that it was just natural to extend some guys that way and even if he became a top paid C at the time the fact that we paid him that way, that early is also what makes him an affordable contract now with no dead money.

If we start the other players contracts game then we could factor in Calais who got 15M average whereas Yannick is going for 20 and possibly more per year. He's younger of course but he's not better than Calais and surely not worth 5M per year more.
It's just the nature of the beast, contracts nowadays aren't just about a player's real value but are impacted by the league trends, teams cap space at the time and all that. These are normal negotiations, as long as he isn't sitting out games the Jaguars are doing well not giving him all the money he asks for right away (the Telvin Smith situation should be a remainder to everyone of things that can happen when you hand out a large contract) and he's doing his thing to try getting as much as he can.

That offer the Jaguars made sounds like a good offer in terms of average per year and if true shows that the team isn't lowballing him and that's what matters. I'm confident they'll iron out a deal in the next couple of weeks that will make both sides happy, I wouldn't worry about him sitting out any games.

And in the meantime let Allen take first team reps. Win-win.

From Phillip Heilman:

Doug Marrone is confident Yannick Ngakoue will report at some point in training camp. (Likely by the Aug. 6 deadline for an accrued season, if not earlier.)

Says both sides have been in contact and are trying to get a long-term deal done.
#Jaguars

It'll happen...people just want to wring their hands.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2019, 05:54 PM by Bullseye.)

(07-25-2019, 09:48 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: From Phillip Heilman:

Doug Marrone is confident Yannick Ngakoue will report at some point in training camp. (Likely by the Aug. 6 deadline for an accrued season, if not earlier.)

Says both sides have been in contact and are trying to get a long-term deal done.
#Jaguars

(emphasis added)

Not that I am ever overly fond of holdouts, but this is one reason I am encouraged.  If the team refused to even talk to him about a new deal, or somehow the talks have completely broken off and there's animosity, etc., then there's ample reason to worry.

But based on what I've heard, it hasn't gotten to that point.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Clark and Lawrence have had significant off field issues. Dee Ford has significant on field injury/consistency issues. Yannick has been pretty much the model franchise DE on and off the field.

His contract floor should be the $20.8M AAV, $60M guaranteed that Lawrence got...and if we're being honest he deserves more than that.

(07-25-2019, 09:05 PM)Upper Wrote: Clark and Lawrence have had significant off field issues. Dee Ford has significant on field injury/consistency issues. Yannick has been pretty much the model franchise DE on and off the field.

His contract floor should be the $20.8M AAV, $60M guaranteed that Lawrence got...and if we're being honest he deserves more than that.
Wrong again!

He should have done better in college! Then he could have gotten paid more!

We'll get Yann signed....not worried. I am interested to see what Dante will do with a good Defense and getting starter reps without excuses. As a Jags fan, i'm praying he doesnt play lights out and we let him go for gene smith reasons.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(07-29-2019, 01:14 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: We'll get Yann signed....not worried.  I am interested to see what Dante will do with a good Defense and getting starter reps without excuses.  As a Jags fan, i'm praying he doesnt play lights out and we let him go for gene smith reasons.

We traded Fowler. We already got something for him so we didn't let him for for gene smith reasons.

Fowler wasn't getting resigned here. And he did OK in LA in his short time with them. Just like he did OK here.

We have Allen... why are you even thinking about Fowler? silly fans.

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2019, 04:56 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(07-29-2019, 03:23 PM)Kane Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 01:14 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: We'll get Yann signed....not worried.  I am interested to see what Dante will do with a good Defense and getting starter reps without excuses.  As a Jags fan, i'm praying he doesnt play lights out and we let him go for gene smith reasons.

We traded Fowler. We already got something for him so we didn't let him for for gene smith reasons.

Fowler wasn't getting resigned here. And he did OK in LA in his short time with them. Just like he did OK here.

We have Allen... why are you even thinking about Fowler? silly fans.

I'm a Gator fan and a Jags fan, so i think about players once they leave college even if they aren't on my NFL team.  The fact that he was and was let go, i hope he turns out to be ok.  I just don't want his small problem to end with him being elite elsewhere and not here.  If you need any more explanations, i can't help you.

EDIT: i know we have Allen. Hopefully he can become elite in the NFL like he was in college. I also, wanted to keep Fowler and Yann, and go TE but Campbell made that difficult.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(07-29-2019, 11:33 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: https://twitter.com/YannickNgakoue/statu...38656?s=19

$$$ time, it'll get done if it isn't already.