Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Adrian Peterson in Debt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Sad business.

He ought to still be in prison.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Happens to a lot of athletes. The saddest part about all of this though is that the NFL actually offers free education courses and advisers for financial stability and long term financial planning during the rookie symposiums that they hold annually for each new class coming in.

It's a shame that a lot of guys take that for granted.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Hahahaha...

athletes shouldn't get paid like they do.

Do these athletes not have the ability to login to their accounts online and look at the performance? It doesn't take Warren Buffet to understand when an investment is going sideways.

Didn't something similar happen to Mark Brunell?

(07-24-2019, 12:39 PM)roycee Wrote: Didn't something similar happen to Mark Brunell?

Yes it did. Can't remember if it was over the What-a-burger chains or some other failed investment. But he lost quite a bit of money. That's why you saw his [BLEEP] backing-up QB's up until the age of 41.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(07-24-2019, 01:30 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 12:39 PM)roycee Wrote: Didn't something similar happen to Mark Brunell?

Yes it did. Can't remember if it was over the What-a-burger chains or some other failed investment. But he lost quite a bit of money. That's why you saw his [BLEEP] backing-up QB's up until the age of 41.

Real estate.  Just before the big crash.  He was too heavily invested in real estate.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Fred Taylor did too. 

I've been watching All Or Nothing on Amazon and Cam Newton spends an obscene amount of money on clothing, probably his house and cars as well. He said he used to watch Cribs on MTV and he wanted all the stuff that comes along with having money. 

A lot of these players come from having nothing and the music and entertainment industry (looking at you Kanye, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, etc.) as well as our consumer driven society practically brainwashes folks into believing they have to have this stuff. Then there is the expectation from friends and family that they are going to have a certain lifestyle and so pride and reputation comes into the picture. Add to that the sharks that come around and take advantage of guys who they know don't know any better and it's a recipe for disaster. 

As an aside all those shows on HGTV does the same thing in making people believe that what their house looks like isn't good enough so people go and spend a bunch of money they probably don't have just to keep up appearances.

(This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 03:49 PM by Caldrac.)

(07-24-2019, 03:12 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Fred Taylor did too. 

I've been watching All Or Nothing on Amazon and Cam Newton spends an obscene amount of money on clothing, probably his house and cars as well. He said he used to watch Cribs on MTV and he wanted all the stuff that comes along with having money. 

A lot of these players come from having nothing and the music and entertainment industry (looking at you Kanye, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, etc.) as well as our consumer driven society practically brainwashes folks into believing they have to have this stuff. Then there is the expectation from friends and family that they are going to have a certain lifestyle and so pride and reputation comes into the picture. Add to that the sharks that come around and take advantage of guys who they know don't know any better and it's a recipe for disaster. 

As an aside all those shows on HGTV does the same thing in making people believe that what their house looks like isn't good enough so people go and spend a bunch of money they probably don't have just to keep up appearances.

Freddy's case was a bit different. He got robbed by his agent at that time. That same agent robbed a few of his other players as well I believe. 

As far as people living lavishly or spending beyond their means? A lot of us are guilty of it. Credit Card debt and companies are a testament to this. George Carlin ranted about it once and it stuck with me. Though I haven't learned from it quite yet myself. 

"People are spending money they don't have on things they don't need". It's true. The best advice my dad ever told me before I moved out was the following as well.

"Never buy food with a credit card. There's no sense in paying interest on a turd".

(07-24-2019, 03:48 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 03:12 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Fred Taylor did too. 

Freddy's case was a bit different. He got robbed by his agent at that time. That same agent robbed a few of his other players as well I believe. 

As far as people living lavishly or spending beyond their means? A lot of us are guilty of it. Credit Card debt and companies are a testament to this. George Carlin ranted about it once and it stuck with me. Though I haven't learned from it quite yet myself. 

"People are spending money they don't have on things they don't need". It's true. The best advice my dad ever told me before I moved out was the following as well.

"Never buy food with a credit card. There's no sense in paying interest on a turd".

Even better advice is don't put anything on a credit card you can't pay off in a month!

(07-24-2019, 04:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 03:48 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Freddy's case was a bit different. He got robbed by his agent at that time. That same agent robbed a few of his other players as well I believe. 

Even better advice is don't put anything on a credit card you can't pay off in a month!

True. When I was 18 I slowly built my credit score up by just using it to get maybe $20 - $25 worth of gas here and there for my car or a pack of smokes for my mom and I would just pay it off every two weeks with a paycheck. Within 6 months of doing that they jacked my $500 credit line up to $1500. Then more offers started coming in the mail. 

It's a weird little game you have to play in this Country with the credit system. But I get it now. You just have to have discipline. It's still hard for me at the age of 31. Thankfully my wife keeps me in check. She'll withdraw $200 out every paycheck I get and just store it away in an envelope around the house somewhere safe.

(07-24-2019, 02:30 PM)Rico Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 01:30 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Yes it did. Can't remember if it was over the What-a-burger chains or some other failed investment. But he lost quite a bit of money. That's why you saw his [BLEEP] backing-up QB's up until the age of 41.

Real estate.  Just before the big crash.  He was too heavily invested in real estate.

You beat me to it.  If I remember right, he wasn't the only one heavily invested in it.  I want to say that it was a group of 4 or 5 players or former players that had all invested in it (some kind of development) and lost a ton of money when the housing bubble burst.

(07-24-2019, 04:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 04:11 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Even better advice is don't put anything on a credit card you can't pay off in a month!

True. When I was 18 I slowly built my credit score up by just using it to get maybe $20 - $25 worth of gas here and there for my car or a pack of smokes for my mom and I would just pay it off every two weeks with a paycheck. Within 6 months of doing that they jacked my $500 credit line up to $1500. Then more offers started coming in the mail. 

It's a weird little game you have to play in this Country with the credit system. But I get it now. You just have to have discipline. It's still hard for me at the age of 31. Thankfully my wife keeps me in check. She'll withdraw $200 out every paycheck I get and just store it away in an envelope around the house somewhere safe.

Rather than storing that money in an envelope around the house, think about opening up a money market savings account and/or buying CD's (not the kind we used to listen to).  I started a while back with $500 in a money market account and put a dedicated amount in each paycheck along with any "loose change" that we collected or any "gifts" that we got.  It didn't take long for that $500 to become well over $10,000 in a liquid asset.  $10,000 was my first goal for that account because I earned just a little bit more on my money.  My next goal that I reached was to get the balance to $25,000 because I earned just a little bit more in interest on it which I reached some time ago.

My point is to not carry any credit card debt and save every penny (pennies do matter).

As far as this thread topic, it happens more than people realize.  Give a 21, 22 or 23 year old a ton of money and they go "spending crazy".  Huge house, fancy car, a home for mom, "bling" to wear, etc. not to mention dining in fine restaurants and drinking expensive drinks.  They pretty much burn through a large portion of their earnings before they know it.  Throw in the predators that are out there and it makes it worse.  Why does someone making that kind of money need to take out loans?  It's because of the "instant gratification" and the "lavish lifestyles" that they choose.  Sooner or later the money runs out and they have to pay those loans back.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(07-24-2019, 05:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 02:30 PM)Rico Wrote: Real estate.  Just before the big crash.  He was too heavily invested in real estate.

You beat me to it.  If I remember right, he wasn't the only one heavily invested in it.  I want to say that it was a group of 4 or 5 players or former players that had all invested in it (some kind of development) and lost a ton of money when the housing bubble burst.

(07-24-2019, 04:16 PM)Caldrac Wrote: True. When I was 18 I slowly built my credit score up by just using it to get maybe $20 - $25 worth of gas here and there for my car or a pack of smokes for my mom and I would just pay it off every two weeks with a paycheck. Within 6 months of doing that they jacked my $500 credit line up to $1500. Then more offers started coming in the mail. 

Rather than storing that money in an envelope around the house, think about opening up a money market savings account and/or buying CD's (not the kind we used to listen to).  I started a while back with $500 in a money market account and put a dedicated amount in each paycheck along with any "loose change" that we collected or any "gifts" that we got.  It didn't take long for that $500 to become well over $10,000 in a liquid asset.  $10,000 was my first goal for that account because I earned just a little bit more on my money.  My next goal that I reached was to get the balance to $25,000 because I earned just a little bit more in interest on it which I reached some time ago.

My point is to not carry any credit card debt and save every penny (pennies do matter).

As far as this thread topic, it happens more than people realize.  Give a 21, 22 or 23 year old a ton of money and they go "spending crazy".  Huge house, fancy car, a home for mom, "bling" to wear, etc. not to mention dining in fine restaurants and drinking expensive drinks.  They pretty much burn through a large portion of their earnings before they know it.  Throw in the predators that are out there and it makes it worse.  Why does someone making that kind of money need to take out loans?  It's because of the "instant gratification" and the "lavish lifestyles" that they choose.  Sooner or later the money runs out and they have to pay those loans back.

You have always provided me with sound advice on here over the years. I appreciate all of that. Thankfully I also have a 401K set up with work and I have nice a little nest built up in there already from over the course of the last seven years. Hoping my wife can knock out this real estate state test soon so she can bank a bit more. 

I owe about $61K on my mortgage. Trying to knock that off my books before I reach the age of 45. Remember about two, three years ago when I was asking around about pricing for vehicles and how to get good deals? I never bought one... 

Still riding my same old, beat up Kia from my senior year of high school. Had to get the radiator replaced though and now my driver side door handle is in shambles. Been trying to put off having another car payment man. But I'll have to cave in shortly. Eyeing a Ford F-150 now. Really like this 2014 F-150 FX4 at $25K at the moment. But still haven't found the courage to go shopping yet. 

May just keep riding that damn Kia into the dirt. LOL. 

[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2019, 11:38 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

In all reality, the NFL should allocate 10% of the players pay check into a deferred annuity type account but the players would never accept that under a new CBA.

My concept would allow players to have that 10% released over a period of 20 years following their exit from the NFL.  As such, if a player made $20 million and was out of the NFL at age 27, they would receive a check in the amount of  ~$6,000 per month ($2 million / 12 months / 20 years = $8,333 x 75% net of tax = ~ $6,000) from the time they hit 28 until they are 48 years old.  That's equivalent to having a $100,000 annual salary for those 20 years.

Here are 8 NFL players that made over $50 million and went bankrupt

https://www.givemesport.com/558699-8-nfl...t-bankrupt

(07-25-2019, 11:35 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: In all reality, the NFL should allocate 10% of the players pay check into a deferred annuity type account but the players would never accept that under a new CBA.

My concept would allow players to have that 10% released over a period of 20 years following their exit from the NFL.  As such, if a player made $20 million and was out of the NFL at age 27, they would receive a check in the amount of  ~$6,000 per month ($2 million / 12 months / 20 years = $8,333 x 75% net of tax = ~ $6,000) from the time they hit 28 until they are 48 years old.  That's equivalent to having a $100,000 annual salary for those 20 years.

Here are 8 NFL players that made over $50 million and went bankrupt

Sure. "We are going to punish the responsible people based on the mismanagement of the small percentage of irresponsible people". Sounds like a topic for the political forum!

(07-25-2019, 11:35 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Here are 8 NFL players that made over $50 million and went bankrupt

Money mismanagement and outright stupidity are not traits exclusive to football.  Reaching outside the NFL, athletes who filed bankruptcy and career earnings;

Mike Tyson         300 million
John Daly             55 million
Antoine Walker    108 million
Boris Becker        126 million
Allen Iverson       150 million
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.