Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
El Paso Mass Shooting

(08-04-2019, 01:05 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 12:05 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I see Fox is blaming video games again.

Classic.

Is it part of the problem? Yes or no?
Video games?

No. It’s absolutely not part of the problem.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-04-2019, 01:13 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 01:05 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Is it part of the problem? Yes or no?
Video games?

I disagree.  Are video games solely to blame for the problem?  No, but the graphic nature of some of them could also cause some of this.

As I said before, the lack of education is a big cause.  "Hiding" firearms from an early stage in life is probably a factor.  When is the last time that you saw a cap gun for sale in a store?  Do you even know what that is?

Another big cause is the fact that people don't interact with one another on a personal basis.  I see it every day at my job.  People would take a break and usually go outside to the "smoking area" and chit-chat, joke and talk with one another.  When I walk out there I see a dozen young sailors staring at their phones.  The only time they "interact" with one another is to show somebody else what is on their phone.  The only people that you see socializing with one another are all over the age of say 45.

Finally, we as a society are so desensitized and have very little value for human life.  Again, does it go back to movies?  Video games?  The lack of or the common "stigma" of religion?  I would guess that yes, all of those are factors involved with what we see today.

What is the common source of "investigation" in each of these incidents?  Social media.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-04-2019, 02:10 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 01:13 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Video games?

I disagree.  Are video games solely to blame for the problem?  No, but the graphic nature of some of them could also cause some of this.

As I said before, the lack of education is a big cause.  "Hiding" firearms from an early stage in life is probably a factor.  When is the last time that you saw a cap gun for sale in a store?  Do you even know what that is?

Another big cause is the fact that people don't interact with one another on a personal basis.  I see it every day at my job.  People would take a break and usually go outside to the "smoking area" and chit-chat, joke and talk with one another.  When I walk out there I see a dozen young sailors staring at their phones.  The only time they "interact" with one another is to show somebody else what is on their phone.  The only people that you see socializing with one another are all over the age of say 45.

Finally, we as a society are so desensitized and have very little value for human life.  Again, does it go back to movies?  Video games?  The lack of or the common "stigma" of religion?  I would guess that yes, all of those are factors involved with what we see today.

What is the common source of "investigation" in each of these incidents?  Social media.

Then we can also blame violent movies, tv shows, sports etc etc (which is course nonsense) 

The common source of all of these is disenfranchised white men with far right wing ideologies and mental health problems with easy access  to weapons. There really isn't any argument about that anymore

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2019, 03:04 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(08-04-2019, 02:45 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 02:10 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I disagree.  Are video games solely to blame for the problem?  No, but the graphic nature of some of them could also cause some of this.

Then we can also blame violent movies, tv shows, sports etc etc (which is course nonsense) 

The common source of all of these is disenfranchised white men with far right wing ideologies and mental health problems with easy access  to weapons. There really isn't any argument about that anymore

Sure, you could blame them. The hypocritical actors who star in said films then are the first to propose to abolish the 2nd amendment when a mass shooting occurs is kind of bothersome.

The root cause of the majority of this is people breeding who have no business breeding.

Having said that, politicians blaming this on Trump is absolutely sickening and disgusting.

(08-04-2019, 02:45 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 02:10 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I disagree.  Are video games solely to blame for the problem?  No, but the graphic nature of some of them could also cause some of this.

James Hodgkinson, James Holmes, Jared Loughner, and Nidel Hassan say "Hi!"
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2019, 03:51 PM by mikesez.)

(08-04-2019, 11:48 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 08:57 AM)mikesez Wrote: He says that he should not be viewed as the instigator, that "Hispanic invaders" are the instigators.

Dude.

Don't make this something it wasn't. of course he's frustrated with our government, a lot of people are. But everyone has different reasons. this guy was frustrated that the government was continuing to allow Hispanic people to live and raise their children here. He wants to scare them away instead. 

Now I don't know what to do with these facts, but I'm certainly not going to dodge them, like you are.
What the [BLEEP] is wrong with you? Why do you constantly talk in circles to instigate via something that isn't there? It's gone past comical to just sad.

There is alot in his statements to unpack. But let's remember it is from his points of view. A young, mental, immature point of view. Even still, he made points that everyone on this board can agree with when you leave the typical identity politics behind. How mental is it that some folks running for President are blaming the current President and the weak, non-influential NRA (they would have you believe they are almighty)?

Frankly, I think you're the one talking in circles.
There are "soft target" Walmarts all over the Dallas area.
if he was just mad at the US government, that same government has jurisdiction over both Dallas and El Paso.  He drove 9 hours for some reason, and it wasn't because he was merely frustrated with the government.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(08-04-2019, 03:14 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 02:45 PM)JackCity Wrote: Then we can also blame violent movies, tv shows, sports etc etc (which is course nonsense) 

James Hodgkinson, James Holmes, Jared Loughner, and Nidel Hassan say "Hi!"

Micah Xavier Johnson wants in on this, too.

One factor we're over looking is all the drugs they're pumping in to kids for behavior that in reality is just being a kid. You think that doesn't have an effect on the development of the brain and the psych of a person
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(08-04-2019, 03:51 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 11:48 AM)B2hibry Wrote: What the [BLEEP] is wrong with you? Why do you constantly talk in circles to instigate via something that isn't there? It's gone past comical to just sad.

There is alot in his statements to unpack. But let's remember it is from his points of view. A young, mental, immature point of view. Even still, he made points that everyone on this board can agree with when you leave the typical identity politics behind. How mental is it that some folks running for President are blaming the current President and the weak, non-influential NRA (they would have you believe they are almighty)?

Frankly, I think you're the one talking in circles.
There are "soft target" Walmarts all over the Dallas area.
if he was just mad at the US government, that same government has jurisdiction over both Dallas and El Paso.  He drove 9 hours for some reason, and it wasn't because he was merely frustrated with the government.
Frankly, I don't give a [BLEEP] what thoughts you manage to formulate. In any case, for the sake of this thread, there is more than that one piece to this.  It was inevitable that you and the likes of these weirdos running for President would latch on to race and blank out all other components. That is the point. It's a circumstance that should not occur regardless of motive, but it deserves a review of the entirety. Now we get to hear from the squeaky wheels about how guns are an issue when yet another 20-something young male resorts to unempathetic action.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-04-2019, 04:36 PM)The Drifter Wrote: One factor we're over looking is all the drugs they're pumping in to kids for behavior that in reality is just being a kid. You think that doesn't have an effect on the development of the brain and the psych of a person

There are studies that show this to be a factor, but I believe one of the largest contributors to the poor mental state of the populace is the reliance on so-called "food." A large portion of folks live off of manufactured food products. It has become too expensive, too time-consuming, and too boring to cook and dine off of healthy meals that encourage proper chemistry. Add in the constant bombardment of stimulants, and you have a recipe for disaster, not good health!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

The default nature of man is chaos. Pulse, San bernadino, el paso Vegas there are a myriad of reasons for in some cases none @ all. There's no one external motivation that links them but the internal tendencies that hurting others can make us feel good is universal.

Chaos by design.

Unstable people with easy access to guns ...

It must be those video games...

Isn't it more about the president who stokes these morons if you want to ignore the main issue?

(08-03-2019, 11:51 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Was the shooter an innocent law abiding gun owner before the shooting?

It's those leftists and the MSM ( except Fox) fault!

Exactly.  Pretty much everyone that has conducted mass murders via a semi-automatic rifle was a law abiding citizen up to the point until they blew the heads off of innocent men, women, and children.

I'm totally cool with weapons of self defense and hunting weapons but we need to get the AR-15 style weapons off the street.

(08-04-2019, 06:58 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 11:51 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Was the shooter an innocent law abiding gun owner before the shooting?

Exactly.  Pretty much everyone that has conducted mass murders via a semi-automatic rifle was a law abiding citizen up to the point until they blew the heads off of innocent men, women, and children.

I'm totally cool with weapons of self defense and hunting weapons but we need to get the AR-15 style weapons off the street.

No, no we don't. And if you read the CVs of the people doing these things most of them are known to someone, be it law enforcement, doctor, teacher, parent, or employer, who knew what they were about to do.

(08-04-2019, 06:45 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Unstable people with easy access to guns ...

It must be those video games...

Isn't it more about the president who stokes these morons if you want to ignore the main issue?

Yeah, that damn Trump stoked them all the way back in 1994 and all the 25 years since. Moronic assertion is moronic.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-04-2019, 06:58 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

How do you propose this gets done? We could ban them as all the Democrats have proposed, but there are already an estimated 5 million semi automatic military style rifles already out there on the street. There is NO WAY to get those back without causing an all out civil war. I live in rural Ohio and I would say 75% of the people I know in this area (old and young a like,) own at least one of these types of guns, but we've never had a problem here. People where I live learn to respect guns from a very young age. You are taught they are not toys. You learn gun safety and target shooting early on. People out here, respect their neighbors and human life in general.

(08-04-2019, 08:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 06:58 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Exactly.  Pretty much everyone that has conducted mass murders via a semi-automatic rifle was a law abiding citizen up to the point until they blew the heads off of innocent men, women, and children.

How do you propose this gets done? We could ban them as all the Democrats have proposed, but there are already an estimated 5 million semi automatic military style rifles already out there on the street. There is NO WAY to get those back without causing an all out civil war. I live in rural Ohio and I would say 75% of the people I know in this area (old and young a like,) own at least one of these types of guns, but we've never had a problem here. People where I live learn to respect guns from a very young age. You are taught they are not toys. You learn gun safety and target shooting early on. People out here, respect their neighbors and human life in general.

It's almost like it's a cultural problem based on a philosophical nihilism that regards morality as selective or relative. When you teach children that life has no meaning then you also instill that it has no value, then you follow that up by dosing them with medications that repress empathy, well...you breed killers.

(08-04-2019, 08:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 06:58 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Exactly.  Pretty much everyone that has conducted mass murders via a semi-automatic rifle was a law abiding citizen up to the point until they blew the heads off of innocent men, women, and children.

I agree that you can't "get them back." But you could require them to be registered, and for the owners to regularly show up for classes where they demonstrate proficiency with them.  Sure, a lot of people would loudly disobey at first, but if we were determined to do it, the guns would most all be registered within a generation.

I know a lot of people say that registration is just a step away from confiscation.  Maybe, but the government won't be able to suddenly confiscate a significant number of these weapons by surprise.  And if there's no surprise, people will hand their registered weapon off to buddies temporarily.  

Long story short, there is stuff the government could do, but most of it wouldn't bear fruit for decades even if we started trying now.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.