Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
El Paso Mass Shooting

(08-04-2019, 12:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 12:48 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Or maybe the thing desensitizing these kids to gun violence is all the gun violence? These shootings have become common place which is the scary part.

But sure. Lets go ahead and blame video games.

A significant cause of these problems is an over-prescribed regimen of drugs that eliminate emotion and empathy. Couple that with significant changes to our value system and you get bad actors.

Boy, howdy. Look at what we've come to accept from our "leaders".
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-04-2019, 10:02 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 08:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: How do you propose this gets done? We could ban them as all the Democrats have proposed, but there are already an estimated 5 million semi automatic military style rifles already out there on the street. There is NO WAY to get those back without causing an all out civil war. I live in rural Ohio and I would say 75% of the people I know in this area (old and young a like,) own at least one of these types of guns, but we've never had a problem here. People where I live learn to respect guns from a very young age. You are taught they are not toys. You learn gun safety and target shooting early on. People out here, respect their neighbors and human life in general.

I agree that you can't "get them back." But you could require them to be registered, and for the owners to regularly show up for classes where they demonstrate proficiency with them.  Sure, a lot of people would loudly disobey at first, but if we were determined to do it, the guns would most all be registered within a generation.

I know a lot of people say that registration is just a step away from confiscation.  Maybe, but the government won't be able to suddenly confiscate a significant number of these weapons by surprise.  And if there's no surprise, people will hand their registered weapon off to buddies temporarily.  

Long story short, there is stuff the government could do, but most of it wouldn't bear fruit for decades even if we started trying now.

I guarantee you, none of the people I know would register their guns or show up for classes, (they already know how to safely handle a gun and don't feel they need to prove it to the government.) Thinking you could register all of them or even half of them in a generation is a pipe dream.

(08-05-2019, 12:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 10:02 PM)mikesez Wrote: I agree that you can't "get them back." But you could require them to be registered, and for the owners to regularly show up for classes where they demonstrate proficiency with them.  Sure, a lot of people would loudly disobey at first, but if we were determined to do it, the guns would most all be registered within a generation.

I know a lot of people say that registration is just a step away from confiscation.  Maybe, but the government won't be able to suddenly confiscate a significant number of these weapons by surprise.  And if there's no surprise, people will hand their registered weapon off to buddies temporarily.  

Long story short, there is stuff the government could do, but most of it wouldn't bear fruit for decades even if we started trying now.

I guarantee you, none of the people I know would register their guns or show up for classes, (they already know how to safely handle a gun and don't feel they need to prove it to the government.) Thinking you could register all of them or even half of them in a generation is a pipe 
You'd start seeing politicians gunned down like they were Republicans at a baseball game visited by a Democrat.

(08-04-2019, 11:22 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 12:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: A significant cause of these problems is an over-prescribed regimen of drugs that eliminate emotion and empathy. Couple that with significant changes to our value system and you get bad actors.

Boy, howdy. Look at what we've come to accept from our "leaders".

Damn Trump and his time machine!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-04-2019, 09:11 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 08:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: How do you propose this gets done? We could ban them as all the Democrats have proposed, but there are already an estimated 5 million semi automatic military style rifles already out there on the street. There is NO WAY to get those back without causing an all out civil war. I live in rural Ohio and I would say 75% of the people I know in this area (old and young a like,) own at least one of these types of guns, but we've never had a problem here. People where I live learn to respect guns from a very young age. You are taught they are not toys. You learn gun safety and target shooting early on. People out here, respect their neighbors and human life in general.

It's almost like it's a cultural problem based on a philosophical nihilism that regards morality as selective or relative. When you teach children that life has no meaning then you also instill that it has no value, then you follow that up by dosing them with medications that repress empathy, well...you breed killers.

agreed, its a uniquely american cultural problem where society breeds killers and gives them easy access to guns, which is why we have uniquely american results.

(08-04-2019, 10:02 PM)mikesez Wrote: I agree that you can't "get them back." But you could require them to be registered, and for the owners to regularly show up for classes where they demonstrate proficiency with them.  Sure, a lot of people would loudly disobey at first, but if we were determined to do it, the guns would most all be registered within a generation.

I guarantee you, none of the people I know would register their guns or show up for classes, (they already know how to safely handle a gun and don't feel they need to prove it to the government.) Thinking you could register all of them or even half of them in a generation is a pipe dream.

Nobody would, at first.  The police would enter into a home, as they do today, on suspicion (legit or not) of drugs or domestic violence, they would happen to notice the unregistered semi-auto rifle and suddenly a notice to appear turns into an immediate arrest without bail.  The police would make sure this incident got a lot of publicity.

Of course, many counties would not operate this way, because they would elect sheriffs that don't want to enforce such a law (look at Colorado) but most of the counties with most of the people would go ahead and abide by the law after a few people are made examples of.

Americans abide much more egregious intrusions already, and we excuse them with, "if you are doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide." We would do the same here.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Federal registration is illegal. Printz vs. United States ruled local law enforcement is not obligated to enforce federal laws. No police department in their right mind is going door to door for confiscation if a Sherriff happens to support the Federal/State mandate. Local law enforcement won't even cooperate with Federal agencies to round up illegal immigrants! Research the states that do have registration and see how well that works.

The issue is not the gun. We go through this over and over, even after new gun laws are applied. The issue is people, including government agencies, family, and friends that are not paying attention to these folks before they act out. In nearly every case there are red flags. People need to pull their heads out of their collective [BLEEP] and if they see something, say something.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Australia, New Zealand, New York, and California are prime examples of an attempted registration being useless. Ironically, those guns go missing and/or get lost. I guarantee you if I hadn't lost mine in a boating accident, they would not find their way on a registration, Gestapo visit or not.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-05-2019, 07:45 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 09:11 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It's almost like it's a cultural problem based on a philosophical nihilism that regards morality as selective or relative. When you teach children that life has no meaning then you also instill that it has no value, then you follow that up by dosing them with medications that repress empathy, well...you breed killers.

agreed, its a uniquely american cultural problem where society breeds killers and gives them easy access to guns, which is why we have uniquely american results.

So murder only exists in America?  No mass genocide in other parts of the world?  No ISIS?  No alqueda?  911 was a bunch of suburban kids burned out on riddlin?  Our hubris is amazing

(08-05-2019, 09:37 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 07:45 AM)JackCity Wrote: agreed, its a uniquely american cultural problem where society breeds killers and gives them easy access to guns, which is why we have uniquely american results.

So murder only exists in America?  No mass genocide in other parts of the world?  No ISIS?  No alqueda?  911 was a bunch of suburban kids burned out on riddlin?  Our hubris is amazing

No, nobody said that or implied that. But you already know

(08-05-2019, 12:19 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 09:37 AM)jj82284 Wrote: So murder only exists in America?  No mass genocide in other parts of the world?  No ISIS?  No alqueda?  911 was a bunch of suburban kids burned out on riddlin?  Our hubris is amazing

No, nobody said that or implied that. But you already know

So u didn't use the word uniquely?

(08-04-2019, 06:37 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Chaos by design.

What the hell you are talking about?
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(08-05-2019, 01:56 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 12:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: No, nobody said that or implied that. But you already know

So u didn't use the word uniquely?

Yes those styles of shootings are uniquely american. Not murder or crime.

Uncomfortable statistics that don’t fit the media narrative about mass shootings in United States

While the news about mass shootings is always heartbreaking, it is easy to lose sight of just how uncommon these horrific atrocities are in the United States.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2018/02/21/...ngs-605633
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

Another shooting another laundry list of bad excuses...

Video games? Really?
Are we going to blame Eminem and Marilyn Manson next?
Maybe it's all the legal pot making people go all Reefer Madness?

Two main issues here.
Mental health.
Proper enforcement of current laws and restrictions.

These are what needs to be addressed. Firstly, by the social/family aspect... ya know... try to raise your kids right. Don't screw up their heads with your bs (like identity politics, abusing them, bringing your mental issues on them [get therapy]) Secondly by society (at some point we have to take responsibility, on both sides of the aisle, race arguments, religion arguments, whatever, at stop festering an environment where the answer is almost always violence and division)
Thirdly, people need to be held accountable to selling guns to people they shouldn't, cutting corners on paperwork, and there probably should be stricter regulations to gauge mental health.
And finally, illegal possession, use in crimes, or illegal use otherwise should be punished to the strictest of possibilities.

But sure... blame video games, music, republicans... blm... cops... NRA and guns... whatever.

(08-05-2019, 04:37 PM)Kane Wrote: Another shooting another laundry list of bad excuses...

Video games? Really?

Two main issues here.
Mental health.

These are what needs to be addressed. Firstly, by the social/family aspect... ya know... try to raise your kids right. Don't screw up their heads with your bs (like identity politics, abusing them, bringing your mental issues on them [get therapy]) Secondly by society (at some point we have to take responsibility, on both sides of the aisle, race arguments, religion arguments, whatever, at stop festering an environment where the answer is almost always violence and division)
Thirdly, people need to be held accountable to selling guns to people they shouldn't, cutting corners on paperwork, and there probably should be stricter regulations to gauge mental health.
And finally, illegal possession, use in crimes, or illegal use otherwise should be punished to the strictest of possibilities.

But sure... blame video games, music, republicans... blm... cops... NRA and guns... whatever.

I think that the problem is the result of multiple things.  I agree with you regarding family and social makeup.  However, there are multiple parts to this problem that should be addressed.

Violent video games certainly do have a place in this.  Certainly it's not the SOLE reason, but it is part of the problem.  Violent video games desensitize children to real violence and killing.  Add to the content the fact that video games have become the "parent(s)" in a lot of children's lives.

One big reason (my opinion) is the rise of social media and the internet.  There is just too much violent and graphic information out there that didn't used to be readily available.  Couple that to the fact that so many people, specifically younger generations are so tied to social media and their cell phones.  That ties into my third point.

Mental health is an issue which should also include drug use.  People, especially younger generations don't interact or socialize "normally".  Their "friends" are the people on social media and their interaction is via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.  There is no "risk" of rejection other than not getting "followers" or "likes", especially if their "friends" have more "likes" or "followers".

Another reason is the lack of education and training.  You have children getting suspended from school for eating a pop-tart into the shape of a gun or wearing a t-shirt that might depict a fallen soldier's memorial (picture of a rifle, boots and helmet).

Finally, you have our law makers more concerned about "global warming" and the right to choose which restroom you use and letting children "decide" what gender they want to be.

It has nothing to do with firearms and I wish that certain politicians and MSM would quit pushing the "weapons of war" and "assault weapons" narrative.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2019, 07:17 PM by Jags.)

(08-05-2019, 05:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 04:37 PM)Kane Wrote: Another shooting another laundry list of bad excuses...

Video games? Really?

Two main issues here.
Mental health.

I think that the problem is the result of multiple things.  I agree with you regarding family and social makeup.  However, there are multiple parts to this problem that should be addressed.

Violent video games certainly do have a place in this.  Certainly it's not the SOLE reason, but it is part of the problem.  Violent video games desensitize children to real violence and killing.  Add to the content the fact that video games have become the "parent(s)" in a lot of children's lives.

One big reason (my opinion) is the rise of social media and the internet.  There is just too much violent and graphic information out there that didn't used to be readily available.  Couple that to the fact that so many people, specifically younger generations are so tied to social media and their cell phones.  That ties into my third point.

Mental health is an issue which should also include drug use.  People, especially younger generations don't interact or socialize "normally".  Their "friends" are the people on social media and their interaction is via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.  There is no "risk" of rejection other than not getting "followers" or "likes", especially if their "friends" have more "likes" or "followers".

Another reason is the lack of education and training.  You have children getting suspended from school for eating a pop-tart into the shape of a gun or wearing a t-shirt that might depict a fallen soldier's memorial (picture of a rifle, boots and helmet).

Finally, you have our law makers more concerned about "global warming" and the right to choose which restroom you use and letting children "decide" what gender they want to be.

It has nothing to do with firearms and I wish that certain politicians and MSM would quit pushing the "weapons of war" and "assault weapons" narrative.

I agree with you on 99.9% of things from what I’ve noticed.  No offense, but given your background (Career) and other things you’ve posted, and my fathers background, career, and what he says, I kinda look at you as my message board dad.  However, I’m not sure I’m 100% on board with the video game excuse.  I agree with rest of your post though.  

As far as video games as concerned, I grew up playing sports, climbing trees and just doing anything outside.   Sure, I had a Nintendo.  But we only got gifts (which may or may not include video games) on birthday or Christmas.  Sure we made Mario collect some  cions and [BLEEP] but we’d rather be outside.  I’ve was even gifted by a GF   a PS2 for my birthday.  I’m not sure I used it much at at.  I eventually gave it to my eventual step son when he was little.  Having said that and given my occupation, I have a poop ton of off time November through March.  I bought  an Xbox to kill some time thinking I’d play some madden.  My step some (fast forward 7 years) was playing Call of Duty.  I bought madden and COD.  Turns out I sucked at both but rathered killing people than winning a football game.  Fast forward another 7 or so years and I became a fan of any first person shooter game and got pretty decent at it.  There have been many winter days I’ve put 8 hours in playing these games in my off time(as long as nothing else needed to be done). So, getting into the video game scene rather late in life, I must say after a long stretch of playing a violet game I still understand right and wrong.   I attribute that to my upbringing.  I won’t lie, there have been times I’ve played long enough to where I see something and want to “snap onto” a target.  But reality kicks in.  So the video game stance I feel can be reasonable, but if a parent is a PARENT then they shouldn’t be putting in those hours as well as the kid knowing what is right or wrong.   In that aspect I blame parents.

(08-05-2019, 08:34 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 12:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I guarantee you, none of the people I know would register their guns or show up for classes, (they already know how to safely handle a gun and don't feel they need to prove it to the government.) Thinking you could register all of them or even half of them in a generation is a pipe dream.

Nobody would, at first.  The police would enter into a home, as they do today, on suspicion (legit or not) of drugs or domestic violence, they would happen to notice the unregistered semi-auto rifle and suddenly a notice to appear turns into an immediate arrest without bail.  The police would make sure this incident got a lot of publicity.

Of course, many counties would not operate this way, because they would elect sheriffs that don't want to enforce such a law (look at Colorado) but most of the counties with most of the people would go ahead and abide by the law after a few people are made examples of.

Americans abide much more egregious intrusions already, and we excuse them with, "if you are doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide." We would do the same here.

You make it sound like everyone who owns these types of guns are woman beating, drug dealers. I assure you, that is not the case. Probably 97% of the people who own semi-automatic rifles are law abiding citizens who bought the guns legally and have never been in trouble with the law and probably never will. They may not trust the government, but that doesn't make you a criminal. The people who have them that I know are church going, blue collar workers with morals and values. Just because they don't want to register weapons that they bought long ago, in a legal fashion, does not make them bad. I know I certainly trust the government less now, than at any point in history. Why would I want them to know that I have something they might not approve of? If no one knows you have that type of weapon, why would I take the chance of registering it? That would be stupid.

Typical mass shooter a white male? Think again

The attacks in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, over the weekend that have taken at least 31 lives have put a spotlight on the problem of young, isolated white men carrying out mass shootings.

Read more at https://www.wnd.com/2019/08/typical-mass...bUZcFTt.99
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(08-05-2019, 08:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 08:34 AM)mikesez Wrote: Nobody would, at first.  The police would enter into a home, as they do today, on suspicion (legit or not) of drugs or domestic violence, they would happen to notice the unregistered semi-auto rifle and suddenly a notice to appear turns into an immediate arrest without bail.  The police would make sure this incident got a lot of publicity.

You make it sound like everyone who owns these types of guns are woman beating, drug dealers. I assure you, that is not the case. Probably 97% of the people who own semi-automatic rifles are law abiding citizens who bought the guns legally and have never been in trouble with the law and probably never will. They may not trust the government, but that doesn't make you a criminal. The people who have them that I know are church going, blue collar workers with morals and values. Just because they don't want to register weapons that they bought long ago, in a legal fashion, does not make them bad. I know I certainly trust the government less now, than at any point in history. Why would I want them to know that I have something they might not approve of? If no one knows you have that type of weapon, why would I take the chance of registering it? That would be stupid.

I am sorry that my post gave you that impression.
I agree with you about 97% of gun owners.  Maybe that's not exactly the right number but it's close.  My point is, a few of the bad ones, the 3%, would be found unregistered, and it would make their consequences worse.  And those consequences will persuade many of the 97%, slowly but surely, to register.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(08-05-2019, 09:19 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Typical mass shooter a white male? Think again

The attacks in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, over the weekend that have taken at least 31 lives have put a spotlight on the problem of young, isolated white men carrying out mass shootings.

Read more at https://www.wnd.com/2019/08/typical-mass...bUZcFTt.99

This is spin.

Defining a "mass shooting" as 4 or more victims includes a lot of gangland (drug war) shootings. They are not in the same ballpark as someone going into a public place and killing as many random people as possible.

There are a number of different "reasons" that mass shootings exist, but one thread connects them: the killer is a loser in life who wants to go out in a blaze of glory. The best way to stop this is to eliminate any publicity. Don't name the shooter but give them a degrading new name. My personal choice would not pass the filter here. Of course the press would have to cooperate, so good luck with that.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"