Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
El Paso Mass Shooting

Or just not give them an easy opportunity to kill lots of people in a few seconds.

Weird these global video games don't cause mass shootings everywhere

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-05-2019, 03:54 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Uncomfortable statistics that don’t fit the media narrative about mass shootings in United States

While the news about mass shootings is always heartbreaking, it is easy to lose sight of just how uncommon these horrific atrocities are in the United States.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2018/02/21/...ngs-605633

Way to be there

(08-05-2019, 10:18 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 09:19 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Typical mass shooter a white male? Think again

The attacks in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, over the weekend that have taken at least 31 lives have put a spotlight on the problem of young, isolated white men carrying out mass shootings.

Read more at https://www.wnd.com/2019/08/typical-mass...bUZcFTt.99

This is spin.

Defining a "mass shooting" as 4 or more victims includes a lot of gangland (drug war) shootings. They are not in the same ballpark as someone going into a public place and killing as many random people as possible.

There are a number of different "reasons" that mass shootings exist, but one thread connects them: the killer is a loser in life who wants to go out in a blaze of glory. The best way to stop this is to eliminate any publicity. Don't name the shooter but give them a degrading new name. My personal choice would not pass the filter here. Of course the press would have to cooperate, so good luck with that.

I agree with your diagnosis but I don't think we could ever stop people from saying their names, and even if we could it wouldn't help.  These perps' minds are long past any ability to distinguish between positive and negative attention.  

The rapid fire, easily aimed gun is what takes this mental pattern from "maybe I'll take one or two people out with me" to "I'll make the national news.". It's what makes going out this way so much more attractive than it would be otherwise.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(08-05-2019, 09:20 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 08:33 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: You make it sound like everyone who owns these types of guns are woman beating, drug dealers. I assure you, that is not the case. Probably 97% of the people who own semi-automatic rifles are law abiding citizens who bought the guns legally and have never been in trouble with the law and probably never will. They may not trust the government, but that doesn't make you a criminal. The people who have them that I know are church going, blue collar workers with morals and values. Just because they don't want to register weapons that they bought long ago, in a legal fashion, does not make them bad. I know I certainly trust the government less now, than at any point in history. Why would I want them to know that I have something they might not approve of? If no one knows you have that type of weapon, why would I take the chance of registering it? That would be stupid.

I am sorry that my post gave you that impression.
I agree with you about 97% of gun owners.  Maybe that's not exactly the right number but it's close.  My point is, a few of the bad ones, the 3%, would be found unregistered, and it would make their consequences worse.  And those consequences will persuade many of the 97%, slowly but surely, to register.

I'm just not seeing the connection between bad guys who are caught with semi-automatic rifles, leading to law abiding citizens with semi-automatic weapons registering their guns. One really has nothing to do with the other. I sincerely believe if you forced semi-automatic rifle owners to try and register their weapons, you'd only see less than half registered after 10 years. People in rural America don't want the government to know what they have or don't have.

(08-05-2019, 10:53 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Or just not give them an easy opportunity to kill lots of people in a few seconds.

Lol I was just thinking this.

Mental Illness and video games are prevalent all over the world and yet the good ol USA is the one making the headlines for these shootings.

(08-06-2019, 06:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 10:53 PM)lastonealive Wrote: Or just not give them an easy opportunity to kill lots of people in a few seconds.

Lol I was just thinking this.

Mental Illness and video games are prevalent all over the world and yet the good ol USA is the one making the headlines for these shootings.

I appreciate everyone's perspective on this problem even when we don't agree on the solution. Having said that, we should also work from a factual basis, and that factual basis is that the United States is not the only country where this happens and doesn't lead in any of the categories related to frequency or deaths per capita or by population (data at the link below). But you are right that we "make headlines", I wonder if that in itself isn't an indictment of the business of "headline news" on the creation of copycats?

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countri...y-country/

I know Mikesez and others like him just can't wait to start ripping these factual numbers apart in an attempt to make Orange Man Bad, but the truth is that we hear about American events more because America is closer and bigger than any of these other countries that are dealing with similar instances.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-06-2019, 08:38 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 06:40 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Lol I was just thinking this.

I appreciate everyone's perspective on this problem even when we don't agree on the solution. Having said that, we should also work from a factual basis, and that factual basis is that the United States is not the only country where this happens and doesn't lead in any of the categories related to frequency or deaths per capita or by population (data at the link below). But you are right that we "make headlines", I wonder if that in itself isn't an indictment of the business of "headline news" on the creation of copycats?

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countri...y-country/

I know Mikesez and others like him just can't wait to start ripping these factual numbers apart in an attempt to make Orange Man Bad, but the truth is that we hear about American events more because America is closer and bigger than any of these other countries that are dealing with similar instances.

Not really.
You can feel however you want about numbers, it won't change them.
Orange man is bad for other reasons.
Mass shootings have been a problem in this country since Columbine.  If Trump does something to solve it, that'd be nice.  If he does nothing, it'd be par for the course.

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2019, 04:09 PM by Kane.)

(08-05-2019, 05:51 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 04:37 PM)Kane Wrote: Another shooting another laundry list of bad excuses...

Video games? Really?
Are we going to blame Eminem and Marilyn Manson next?
Maybe it's all the legal pot making people go all Reefer Madness?

Two main issues here.
Mental health.
Proper enforcement of current laws and restrictions.

These are what needs to be addressed. Firstly, by the social/family aspect... ya know... try to raise your kids right. Don't screw up their heads with your bs (like identity politics, abusing them, bringing your mental issues on them [get therapy]) Secondly by society (at some point we have to take responsibility, on both sides of the aisle, race arguments, religion arguments, whatever, at stop festering an environment where the answer is almost always violence and division)
Thirdly, people need to be held accountable to selling guns to people they shouldn't, cutting corners on paperwork, and there probably should be stricter regulations to gauge mental health.
And finally, illegal possession, use in crimes, or illegal use otherwise should be punished to the strictest of possibilities.

But sure... blame video games, music, republicans... blm... cops... NRA and guns... whatever.

I think that the problem is the result of multiple things.  I agree with you regarding family and social makeup.  However, there are multiple parts to this problem that should be addressed.

Violent video games certainly do have a place in this.  Certainly it's not the SOLE reason, but it is part of the problem.  Violent video games desensitize children to real violence and killing.  Add to the content the fact that video games have become the "parent(s)" in a lot of children's lives.
The video game isn't the problem. The parents allowing a child not mature and/or intelligent enough to differentiate between games and reality is the problem.

One big reason (my opinion) is the rise of social media and the internet.  There is just too much violent and graphic information out there that didn't used to be readily available.  Couple that to the fact that so many people, specifically younger generations are so tied to social media and their cell phones.  That ties into my third point.
I agree... Social media and the internet are poisonous to society and especially those easily influenced, like children. Once again though, it is up to parents to regulate and police their minor children's use of these things. We can not assume the internet to be good and our kids freely roam it. We as parents (and as people who use social media) should be better in general. What we post, how we disagree. We kinda need to close Pandora's box and maybe keep some stuff to ourselves.

Mental health is an issue which should also include drug use.  People, especially younger generations don't interact or socialize "normally".  Their "friends" are the people on social media and their interaction is via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.  There is no "risk" of rejection other than not getting "followers" or "likes", especially if their "friends" have more "likes" or "followers".
Yes, drug use (legal and illegal) is a big problem. Mental health in general is largely ignored by most people as a huge cause in the rise of violence, division, divorces, drop outs, etc etc.
The root issue here starts at home. We tend to pass on generational problems (i.e. broken homes cause broken homes, alcoholism and drug use cause more substance abuse). I think overuse of social media itself could actually be a mental health issue. How often have we read people absolutely lose their minds in posts on this political forum alone, never mind the absolute garbage all over Facebook and Twitter these days. (I'm going on 4 years Facebook free and 1 year off Twitter)

Another reason is the lack of education and training.  You have children getting suspended from school for eating a pop-tart into the shape of a gun or wearing a t-shirt that might depict a fallen soldier's memorial (picture of a rifle, boots and helmet).
I'm seeing that we actually agree on a lot. The biggest issue we face is ourselves as a society devolving.

Finally, you have our law makers more concerned about "global warming" and the right to choose which restroom you use and letting children "decide" what gender they want to be.

It has nothing to do with firearms and I wish that certain politicians and MSM would quit pushing the "weapons of war" and "assault weapons" narrative.

It all starts with us.
We have the power to change the future, if we could all stop arguing over the wrong details. (black/white, what type of guns are OK, censorship over guidance/education)

(08-05-2019, 10:18 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(08-05-2019, 09:19 PM)The Drifter Wrote: Typical mass shooter a white male? Think again

The attacks in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, over the weekend that have taken at least 31 lives have put a spotlight on the problem of young, isolated white men carrying out mass shootings.

Read more at https://www.wnd.com/2019/08/typical-mass...bUZcFTt.99

This is spin.

Defining a "mass shooting" as 4 or more victims includes a lot of gangland (drug war) shootings. They are not in the same ballpark as someone going into a public place and killing as many random people as possible.

There are a number of different "reasons" that mass shootings exist, but one thread connects them: the killer is a loser in life who wants to go out in a blaze of glory. The best way to stop this is to eliminate any publicity. Don't name the shooter but give them a degrading new name. My personal choice would not pass the filter here. Of course the press would have to cooperate, so good luck with that.

I heard mass shooting defined yesterday as 8 or more victims.

I guess you could pick whatever number to fit whatever narrative is needed.

I'm not really sure why "white male" should matter. Are we to single out white males that come from broken homes to "prevent" mass shootings?
Seems kinda... racist.

If a shooter in an attack resulting in multiple fatalities is Muslim, he's a radical terrorist.

If he's a white supremist he's mentally ill.

Check.

And when the POTUS repeatedly calls the influx of immigrants from Central America an invasion, then hears a supporter yell "Shoot them" and he laughs and makes a joke of it while others laugh and applaud, he's helping the problem, right?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(08-06-2019, 04:06 PM)Kane Wrote: It all starts with us.
We have the power to change the future, if we could all stop arguing over the wrong details. (black/white, what type of guns are OK, censorship over guidance/education)

I wish that I could respond to some of your comments, but you're right.  We do agree on a lot of things.  Many of the problems that I pointed out are not the root cause, rather the after-effects of poor parenting and a poor education system.  I also think that it's a loss of common values and decency.

This kind of stuff didn't happen in my youth growing up in the late 60's, 70's and early 80's.  I was exposed to firearms at an early age and actually took a course taught by my elementary school coach in our school cafeteria.  In my high school years many of us had guns in our trucks/cars on school property, yet there were no killings.

It's not about the guns (the tool of choice) it's about the mental health and capacity of the shooter.  It really has nothing to do with race or racism or "white supremacy" even though that's not only what the media and candidates running for the presidency are spewing.

Ask yourself this.  Why is so much of the focus on the El Paso shooter while so little is said about the Dayton shooter?  Where is the blame focused?

Again I go back to the internet and social media as being the biggest problem that we face.  I personally only get on this board from a desktop computer, yet the data that we get indicates that the majority of traffic that we get is from mobile devices.  People are too busy looking down at their phones rather than looking up and really meeting and interacting with people.  THAT's where the problem is and yes, it leads to poor mental health.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(08-06-2019, 04:39 PM)rollerjag Wrote: If a shooter in an attack resulting in multiple fatalities is Muslim, he's a radical terrorist.

Check.

And when the POTUS repeatedly calls the influx of immigrants from Central America an invasion, then hears a supporter yell "Shoot them" and he laughs and makes a joke of it while others laugh and applaud, he's helping the problem, right?

Regardless of color or political leanings, if you shoot folks in mass, you not only are an [BLEEP] you are mental!

Let's not ignore the hypocritical rhetoric coming from the left. You can't lay this at the feet of Trump or the white race. It's idiotic and disingenuous.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-06-2019, 04:39 PM)rollerjag Wrote: If a shooter in an attack resulting in multiple fatalities is Muslim, he's a radical terrorist.

Check.

No true. The Pulse shooter was mentally ill, not a radical terrorist.

Many of the mass shooters, including [BLEEP] #14, were known as a problem to the authorities beforehand. Adding new laws while not enforcing the existing laws nor keeping track of known threats is just empty virtue signalling. Of course with the Left results don't matter, just intentions, even when misguided.

And the massive flux of people illegally crossing our border IS an invasion. Use of the correct term should not be considered wrong in any sense.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I think it’s fairly safe to say, if you are a mass murderer, you’re also mentally ill. I don’t care what race, side of the aisle or generation you grew up in.

I still feel that parental figures doing their job could potentially cut down on some of this. Maybe not 100% but it would help.

(08-06-2019, 06:22 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:

Check.

No true. The Pulse shooter was mentally ill, not a radical terrorist.

Many of the mass shooters, including [BLEEP] #14, were known as a problem to the authorities beforehand. Adding new laws while not enforcing the existing laws nor keeping track of known threats is just empty virtue signalling. Of course with the Left results don't matter, just intentions, even when misguided.

And the massive flux of people illegally crossing our border IS an invasion. Use of the correct term should not be considered wrong in any sense.

1) the Pulse shooter called 911, and posted to Facebook, saying clearly and lucidly that he was acting on behalf of ISIS.

2) "invasion" means that the newcomer is harming the host. The Spanish speaking guy mowing your lawn while his wife takes their kids to an English speaking school is not harming this country, unless unemployment is high, and even then only in an indirect and non-malicious sense.

(08-06-2019, 08:38 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 06:22 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: No true. The Pulse shooter was mentally ill, not a radical terrorist.

1) the Pulse shooter called 911, and posted to Facebook, saying clearly and lucidly that he was acting on behalf of ISIS.

2) "invasion" means that the newcomer is harming the host. The Spanish speaking guy mowing your lawn while his wife takes their kids to an English speaking school is not harming this country, unless unemployment is high, and even then only in an indirect and non-malicious sense.

It's a little more complicated than that

(08-06-2019, 07:36 PM)Jags Wrote: I think it’s fairly safe to say, if you are a mass murderer, you’re also mentally ill.  I don’t care what race, side of the aisle or generation you grew up in.

I still feel that parental figures doing their job could potentially cut down on some of this.  Maybe not 100% but it would help.

I don't agree. Hate is not a mental illness.  Deciding that others have made your life worthless and a blaze of glory is your best shot at squeezing out any worth at all can result from perfectly lucid thoughts and perfectly normal moods. These are things that a counselor or a medication could have helped with, but a real sincere, engaged friend is best.

(08-06-2019, 08:38 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 06:22 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: No true. The Pulse shooter was mentally ill, not a radical terrorist.

1) Nonetheless, [BLEEP] #14 was known as an unstable individual before this, and not all of it was based on his beliefs.

2) There are some who are illegally entering who do harm. Just the disruption they cause from the political infighting is harming the US. And while it was true for earlier illegal crossings, the "lawn mowing" guy is not typical of those entering the US since 2009, most are coming to live off of US largess.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(08-06-2019, 10:02 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 08:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: 1) the Pulse shooter called 911, and posted to Facebook, saying clearly and lucidly that he was acting on behalf of ISIS.

1) Nonetheless, [BLEEP] #14 was known as an unstable individual before this, and not all of it was based on his beliefs.

2) There are some who are illegally entering who do harm. Just the disruption they cause from the political infighting is harming the US. And while it was true for earlier illegal crossings, the "lawn mowing" guy is not typical of those entering the US since 2009, most are coming to live off of US largess.

1)I don't know who #14 is but yes, there are at least some who are genuinely unstable and mentally ill.

2) we agree on this.  Most are hoping to claim asylum because if you get enrolled as someone who needs asylum, you get nearly every benefit a full citizen has right away.  And we should examine all such people, and send the ones whose claims aren't sure back. Only about 1 in 6 are legit.  At the same time, we do have low unemployment right now and we could use more people even if they don't speak good English yet.  We need to offer more slots for legal immigration - the kind where you can't collect any welfare for a few years but you can legally work.  Most of the people trying to claim asylum have no chance of getting one of those slots because they don't have a family connection or special skill.  We can change that and bring them in legally but without welfare.  But Trump irrationally wants to do the opposite.

All things considered, this is a real possibility. 

Possible, but mostly he's just an [BLEEP]. 

Check.

Nope. There is nothing remotely funny about how polarized this country is and it's coming from both sides. Check those nice folks outside McConnell's house threatening him. 

To say that the problem is one-sided is irresponsible and dangerous.

(08-06-2019, 08:59 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 07:36 PM)Jags Wrote: I think it’s fairly safe to say, if you are a mass murderer, you’re also mentally ill.  I don’t care what race, side of the aisle or generation you grew up in.

I still feel that parental figures doing their job could potentially cut down on some of this.  Maybe not 100% but it would help.

I don't agree. Hate is not a mental illness.  Deciding that others have made your life worthless and a blaze of glory is your best shot at squeezing out any worth at all can result from perfectly lucid thoughts and perfectly normal moods. These are things that a counselor or a medication could have helped with, but a real sincere, engaged friend is best.

Violence and aggression are inherent in our nature, that we have a functioning society based on morals at all goes against that nature. Some violence really is mental illness, but most is just plain old unrestraint.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato