Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nice Article on Nick Foles

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2019, 02:56 AM by JagFanatic24.)

(08-14-2019, 08:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 08:07 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: But can he -

Lead the league in passing yards
Lead all QBs with most rushing yards
Lead the league with 6 300 yard games
And post a 3rd best completion percentage
And lead us to the AFC Championship
And make it to the Pro Bowl

.....and be the only QB to take every snap

We’re going to need a ‘96 Brunell type of season out of Foles’y in order for us to win a championship. Playoffs ain’t good enough. We can’t keep this defense together for ever and we don’t have any offensive weapons.

It’s all up to Foles and I love the fact that he is running wind sprints after practice in 100 degree weather! That’s dedication baby!

We’re behind you Nick

Agreed that he needs a big year in order for us to reach the Super Bowl, but I don't think he needs a  Brunell '96 type year, for  a few reasons.

1.  Assuming Fournette stays healthy, he'll have a better running attack than the 1996 Jaguars.  While Natrone Means came in late in the season to go on a tear, for the most part, neither Stewart or Means were any great shakes for most of the year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/t...ving::none

2.  Our defense this year will likely be better than the defense then was in 1996.While we had some good pass rushers on that 1996 team (Clyde Simmons, Jeff Lageman and Joel Smeenge and rookie year Tony Brackens), I don't think they match up to the pass rushers currently on the roster.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/t...ense::none

As you can see, the leading sacker in 1996 was Clyde Simmons with 7.5.  Brackens showed potential, and at the time I wondered why TC kept him on the bench, but Brackens had 7.  While past performance is no guarantee of future performance, we have two guys on the roster who has registered double digit sack performances with Ngakoue and Campbell.  In fact, without playing with leads most of the time, Ngakoue exceeded those totals every year in his career.  Campbell is perhaps the equivalent to Simmons, the grizzled vet who played both inside and outside on occasion.  But his last two seasons had him with 25 sacks.  While Simmons had some absolutely monster years with Philadelphia playing next to Reggie White and Jerome Brown in Buddy Ryan's 46, he didn't produce to that level here.  Brackens was the gifted rookie on that 1996 team who had some good moments that year, like his dominant early season performance against then hated Carolina, the game changing INT against Seattle, and the season saving tackle against Atlanta.  While he hasn't done anything yet this year, the current team's Brackens' equivalent-Josh Allen-is predicted by most to produce at least that many sacks.  While that 1996 had decent vets like John Jurkovic, Kelvin Pritchett and Don Davey, none of them compare in quality to Marcell Dareus.  

Furthermore, while I would give the '96 defense a slight edge at LB, there is zero comparison in quality in the secondary between this team and the 1996 secondary.  Not a single player from that 1996 secondary would start for our current secondary.  Jalen Ramsey has made 2 Pro Bowls and 1 All pro and is generally considered among the very best at his position. Beasley had some decent plays and INTs, but Ramsey beats him in every way.  Ramsey is bigger, faster, and more physical.  Mickey Washington was the RCB on that 1996 team.  While I think the former Bills CB was largely underrated here, he doesn't compare to Bouye.  Dana Hall was a first round bust with the 49ers, while Chris Hudson probably ranks among the worst three safeties in Jaguars history.  Harrison is already better than either one of those guys, while Wilson is, at worst, their equal.

I would be remiss if I didn't make a defensive coordinator comparison between 1996's Dick Jauron and current Def Coordinator Wash.  In those early years, I viewed Jauron as the coaching bane of this team.  Many of you here are not overly impressed with Wash because his defenses typically do not blitz often.  While he generally kept the schemes vanilla, you could at least argue that the team was effective when they DID blitz, and they were proven statistically effective every year under Wash, finishing in the top 5 in defense the last three seasons with very little offensive help two of those three years.  Jauron played the most passive defense I've ever seen.  However, the very few times they would blitz, it was largely ineffective.  That 96 team finished 19th in scoring and 15th in yards.  When you add in Capers, whose schemes improved the 1999 Jaguars defense (containing most of the guys from that 1996 team) to #1 overall in 1999 to this current roster, the superiority of the current group to the '1996 defense us clear.

Taken together, an improved running game and a more talented defense capable of smothering opposing passing games and making game changing plays make the case that Foles will not have to take on the same burden that Brunell in 1996 had to take in order for this team to reach the Super Bowl.  Now you could easily make the case that Given the edge the 1996 team had in terms of offensive line, QB modility  and most notably WR that Foles CAN'T have that level of production.  But considering Foles is more experienced and has always taken care of the ball, while Brunell had more INTs than TDs in 1996, he wouldn't put the team in too many positions where he would have to produce to that level.

I enjoy talking about the early years in Jags history. 

You make some great points, but I would take that 96 Dline over today’s. I would also take Chris Hudson over Wilson. Hudson also returned punts and had a memorable play on the blocked FG against Pittsburgh. 

Your right Brackens made a season saving tackle against Atlanta in week 17. And he dropped back in coverage in Seattle for his first career interception. It was executed perfectly.

I don’t like that Yannick has missed camp time, and Campbell his a year older. 2 years ago he was the best defensive player in the AFC which seems so long ago.

Brunell had 20 ints and 19 TDs, but he was also sacked the most that year I think. With Boselli and Coleman on the left side, Means thrived from week 15 on..he improved his totals every week until New England.

We will see brother. I hope Foles lights it up while being cautious. And I hope Fournette wears the defense down.

Messages In This Thread
Nice Article on Nick Foles - by Bullseye - 08-14-2019, 05:23 AM
RE: Nice Article on Nick Foles - by JagFanatic24 - 08-14-2019, 08:07 AM
RE: Nice Article on Nick Foles - by Bullseye - 08-14-2019, 08:40 PM
RE: Nice Article on Nick Foles - by JagFanatic24 - 08-15-2019, 02:54 AM
RE: Nice Article on Nick Foles - by dennisp3 - 08-14-2019, 08:53 AM
RE: Nice Article on Nick Foles - by americus 2.0 - 08-14-2019, 11:26 PM