Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Preparing for week 1

(08-15-2019, 08:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 05:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Don’t give up the big play.
I think we’ll use a few different cover 4 looks from Wash designed to allow the dink  and dunk but prevent the the deep pass.

With our pass rush, I would do the opposite.  Cover tight and hope the pass rush gets home.  Make Mahomes hold the ball a little longer.   

But allowing them to dink and dunk all over the field is giving up our best asset, which is our pass rush.

This was one of many things Mahomes was so good with last year. He thrived with off the cuff adjustments after the play broke down. This could lead to big mistakes from our young defenders.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-15-2019, 08:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
I think we’ll use a few different cover 4 looks from Wash designed to allow the dink  and dunk but prevent the the deep pass.

With our pass rush, I would do the opposite.  Cover tight and hope the pass rush gets home.  Make Mahomes hold the ball a little longer.   

But allowing them to dink and dunk all over the field is giving up our best asset, which is our pass rush.

I’d agree if it were a less mobile QB. Mahomes thrives improvising and throwing on the run after being flushed out far too well for me to feel comfortable with that strategy.

I'd say, blitz all day. The less time Mahomes has to throw the better. The Chiefs D should be greatly improved, so the O has got to stay away from turnovers. If you lose the turnover battle against the Chiefs you probably going to get blown out.

The worst matchup we could face week 1 considering our starters are going to have a grand total of ~2 quarters of game action going into it.

(08-15-2019, 01:19 PM)Upper Wrote: The worst matchup we could face week 1 considering our starters are going to have a grand total of ~2 quarters of game action going into it.

But don't forget ...it's here. last year the game was in their house.
1:00 PM in the afternoon....will be brutal.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(08-15-2019, 01:53 PM)Mowerguy Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 01:19 PM)Upper Wrote: The worst matchup we could face week 1 considering our starters are going to have a grand total of ~2 quarters of game action going into it.

But don't forget ...it's here. last year the game was in their house.

Yea, there's nothing they can do to prepare for the humidity.

This may be the best time to catch them

(08-15-2019, 10:17 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 05:34 PM)knarnn Wrote: Both will be asked to cover Kelce at some point during the game. I’d say that’s asking a lot out of the duo.

I dunno. We don't know the coaches game plan. We could have one player shadow Kelce all game.

Gipson would have been the perfect candidate for that.  Not sure who they would use to do it now.  Is Harrison up to it?  Bouye and Ramsey certainly could, but would leave us exposed on the outside.  Jack could i guess, but that leaves us exposed up the middle in the run game or with dumpoffs to RBs.

(08-15-2019, 02:44 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 10:17 AM)Kane Wrote: I dunno. We don't know the coaches game plan. We could have one player shadow Kelce all game.

Gipson would have been the perfect candidate for that.  Not sure who they would use to do it now.  Is Harrison up to it?  Bouye and Ramsey certainly could, but would leave us exposed on the outside.  Jack could i guess, but that leaves us exposed up the middle in the run game or with dumpoffs to RBs.

Bouye actually first made his name in Houston by having a stellar game shadowing Kelce. I know it would be a departure from our norm, but I would not mind having Bouye shadow Kelce again and just live with Hayden or whoever dealing with Sammy Watkins, with Ramsey shadowing Tyreek ofc.

(08-15-2019, 03:38 PM)Upper Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 02:44 PM)scottyg Wrote: Gipson would have been the perfect candidate for that.  Not sure who they would use to do it now.  Is Harrison up to it?  Bouye and Ramsey certainly could, but would leave us exposed on the outside.  Jack could i guess, but that leaves us exposed up the middle in the run game or with dumpoffs to RBs.

Bouye actually first made his name in Houston by having a stellar game shadowing Kelce. I know it would be a departure from our norm, but I would not mind having Bouye shadow Kelce again and just live with Hayden or whoever dealing with Sammy Watkins, with Ramsey shadowing Tyreek ofc.

I could live with that.  Especially since Watkins might be one of the most overpaid, overrated WRs ever.  As fast as he is supposed to be, he just looks slow in games.

They have speed? You hit them, plain and simple. Jam the the line. Safeties deep. The 2nd half is yours.

(08-14-2019, 09:37 PM)Firesky Wrote:

This. How quickly we forget that our Defense played really really well against them last year. Bortles 5 INT meltdown nightmare (against the 32nd ranked Defense...) obviously causes PTSD when that game is brought up. But what gets lost is that, Jalen kept the lid on Tyreek, Mahomes had his worst game as a pro 0 pasing TD's, 2 INT's, and the worst qb rating of his career (that said, he did rush for a TD, and exposed this Defense's massive weakness against mobile qb's threatening the edge). Bouye playing hurt limited watkins production. Both Kareem Hunt and Travis Kelce torched us.. but Hunt is no longer there.

Last year if we had a QB that didnt turn the ball over, the defense wins us that game. That's hopefully what Foles can provide, we also didn't have Fournette against them last year which should help our case. Their Defense is still pretty atrocious. The game is in Duval this year instead of Arrowhead (which is one of the best homefield advantages in the league) It's week 1, so if the forecast is on our side and the Heat is high like week 2 against the Pats last year, that's perfect because heat and humidity usually kill speed focused teams over the course of the game.

If we just play zone over the top to deny the big play, our dline can get to Mahomes to disrupt him enough for a big play on D. I think they can steal a win.
Don't remind these babies about how good we did despite the turnovers against them.  This is comical...Let the meltdown and excuses for a loss continue.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(08-15-2019, 01:57 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 01:53 PM)Mowerguy Wrote: But don't forget ...it's here. last year the game was in their house.

Yea, there's nothing they can do to prepare for the humidity.

A lot of KC fans argue that the heat in a KC summer is similar; but the heat index and "real feel" of the humidity is not something you can prepare for, and it absolutely puts a damper on speed. Here's hoping it is HOTTTT at the bank week 1!!
(08-16-2019, 08:42 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(08-14-2019, 09:37 PM)Firesky Wrote: This. How quickly we forget that our Defense played really really well against them last year. Bortles 5 INT meltdown nightmare (against the 32nd ranked Defense...) obviously causes PTSD when that game is brought up. But what gets lost is that, Jalen kept the lid on Tyreek, Mahomes had his worst game as a pro 0 pasing TD's, 2 INT's, and the worst qb rating of his career (that said, he did rush for a TD, and exposed this Defense's massive weakness against mobile qb's threatening the edge). Bouye playing hurt limited watkins production. Both Kareem Hunt and Travis Kelce torched us.. but Hunt is no longer there.

Last year if we had a QB that didnt turn the ball over, the defense wins us that game. That's hopefully what Foles can provide, we also didn't have Fournette against them last year which should help our case. Their Defense is still pretty atrocious. The game is in Duval this year instead of Arrowhead (which is one of the best homefield advantages in the league) It's week 1, so if the forecast is on our side and the Heat is high like week 2 against the Pats last year, that's perfect because heat and humidity usually kill speed focused teams over the course of the game.

If we just play zone over the top to deny the big play, our dline can get to Mahomes to disrupt him enough for a big play on D. I think they can steal a win.
Don't remind these babies about how good we did despite the turnovers against them.  This is comical...Let the meltdown and excuses for a loss continue.

??? Bortles was THE reason for the loss, he's not here anymore "meltdown and excuses" how is it an excuse if the entire team outplays their team and one guy just craters your chance of winning??
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(08-16-2019, 11:27 AM)Firesky Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 01:57 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Yea, there's nothing they can do to prepare for the humidity.

A lot of KC fans argue that the heat in a KC summer is similar; but the heat index and "real feel" of the humidity is not something you can prepare for, and it absolutely puts a damper on speed. Here's hoping it is HOTTTT at the bank week 1!!

Midwestern summers are no joke.  The worst heatwave I ever experienced was growing up in Missouri. and I've been down here since '85...  110 in the shade for 2 straight weeks and it was not a dry heat.  There was no escaping it.
The biggest difference between Jax and St. Louis summers - they last a lot longer here.

(08-16-2019, 01:14 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 11:27 AM)Firesky Wrote: A lot of KC fans argue that the heat in a KC summer is similar; but the heat index and "real feel" of the humidity is not something you can prepare for, and it absolutely puts a damper on speed. Here's hoping it is HOTTTT at the bank week 1!!

Midwestern summers are no joke.  The worst heatwave I ever experienced was growing up in Missouri. and I've been down here since '85...  110 in the shade for 2 straight weeks and it was not a dry heat.  There was no escaping it.
The biggest difference between Jax and St. Louis summers - they last a lot longer here.

They're in the middle of the country with no water.

They have no where near the humidity of Florida. No state in the union does - it's the only tropical state.

(08-16-2019, 01:53 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 01:14 PM)scottyg Wrote: Midwestern summers are no joke.  The worst heatwave I ever experienced was growing up in Missouri. and I've been down here since '85...  110 in the shade for 2 straight weeks and it was not a dry heat.  There was no escaping it.

They're in the middle of the country with no water.

They have no where near the humidity of Florida. No state in the union does - it's the only tropical state.

It gets very hot in KC in the summertime. 
It also gets very humid. 
It just doesn’t stay humid for weeks on end like FL. 
They’ll get a few days at a time here and there where it could easily feel likE JAX. That team won’t be as accustomed to it as the Jags roster will, But it is not like they’ve never played in those conditions. 
Tyreek Hill is actually from South GA,  so he grew up in it .

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019, 03:00 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(08-16-2019, 11:27 AM)Firesky Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 01:57 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Yea, there's nothing they can do to prepare for the humidity.

(08-16-2019, 08:42 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Don't remind these babies about how good we did despite the turnovers against them.  This is comical...Let the meltdown and excuses for a loss continue.

??? Bortles was THE reason for the loss, he's not here anymore "meltdown and excuses" how is it an excuse if the entire team outplays their team and one guy just craters your chance of winning??
It's an excuse if your common football knowledge doesn't kick in and say, well since we have a better QB, we should keep possesion longer and put up points instead of turnovers and turn that L into a W.  Maybe im overthinking it or expecting too much from the new QB who is supposed to be better.  IDK, i'll take the L if he sucks.

(08-16-2019, 11:27 AM)Firesky Wrote: A lot of KC fans argue that the heat in a KC summer is similar; but the heat index and "real feel" of the humidity is not something you can prepare for, and it absolutely puts a damper on speed. Here's hoping it is HOTTTT at the bank week 1!!

One of my bestie's is a KC fan and he has proven that the hottest days here match KC on most days even with humidity.  They'll be ready but we should be as well.  Game on.
Season Tix, Section 409

I grew up in the midwest (just outside of St. Louis). The temps are similar true and we occasionally get some humidity but it's *nothing* like it is here in August and September. There are some things you just can't prepare for, like playing at Mile High or playing in Florida in September in the middle of the day.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(08-16-2019, 02:59 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:

It's an excuse if your common football knowledge doesn't kick in and say, well since we have a better QB, we should keep possesion longer and put up points instead of turnovers and turn that L into a W.  Maybe im overthinking it or expecting too much from the new QB who is supposed to be better.  IDK, i'll take the L if he sucks.

(08-16-2019, 01:14 PM)scottyg Wrote: Midwestern summers are no joke.  The worst heatwave I ever experienced was growing up in Missouri. and I've been down here since '85...  110 in the shade for 2 straight weeks and it was not a dry heat.  There was no escaping it.

One of my bestie's is a KC fan and he has proven that the hottest days here match KC on most days even with humidity.  They'll be ready but we should be as well.  Game on.

Oh we're kind of actually on the same page it seems??

And yea KC has some humid days, but it's not sustained to the point where you get "used to it" or comfortable. The Heat won't be the advantage we had against the Patriots (northern team) but it definitely gives us the edge even if it's slight. Also the hotter and more humid it is, means they won't be able to sustain their speed to try and turn it into a track meet, just hit mahomes and we can steal this one.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(08-16-2019, 03:43 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 02:59 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: It's an excuse if your common football knowledge doesn't kick in and say, well since we have a better QB, we should keep possesion longer and put up points instead of turnovers and turn that L into a W.  Maybe im overthinking it or expecting too much from the new QB who is supposed to be better.  IDK, i'll take the L if he sucks.

Oh we're kind of actually on the same page it seems??

And yea KC has some humid days, but it's not sustained to the point where you get "used to it" or comfortable. The Heat won't be the advantage we had against the Patriots (northern team) but it definitely gives us the edge even if it's slight. Also the hotter and more humid it is, means they won't be able to sustain their speed to try and turn it into a track meet, just hit mahomes and we can steal this one.
Basically.  It's not a track and field meet where all you do is run.  They get hit and manhandled at the line during press.  If we play it right and fluster Mahomes, it should be an easy W with ball control and points.
Season Tix, Section 409

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019, 06:14 PM by I am Yoda.)

(08-16-2019, 04:20 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 03:43 PM)Firesky Wrote: Oh we're kind of actually on the same page it seems??

Basically.  It's not a track and field meet where all you do is run.  They get hit and manhandled at the line during press.  If we play it right and fluster Mahomes, it should be an easy W with ball control and points.

Y'all can argue weather if you want.  But we have no idea what our offense looks like.  None.  It should be better this year.  But how much better?  We have a good qb now.  But we don't know what the O-line is going to be.  Or the receivers.  And only 1 rb who's worth a flip.  Are we sure the D is going to be as good as the last two years?  1 proven linebacker. 0 proven safeties.  I have no confidence we can beat KC.  But I will be hoping!
[Image: giphy.gif]