Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Preparing for week 1

QB pressure. Don't give him the chance to throw it long.
Here we go again

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-16-2019, 05:26 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 04:20 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Basically.  It's not a track and field meet where all you do is run.  They get hit and manhandled at the line during press.  If we play it right and fluster Mahomes, it should be an easy W with ball control and points.

Y'all can argue weather if you want.  But we have no idea what our offense looks like.  None.  It should be better this year.  But how much better?  We have a good qb now.  But we don't know what the O-line is going to be.  Or the receivers.  And only 1 rb who's worth a flip.  Are we sure the D is going to be as good as the last two years?  1 proven linebacker. 0 proven safeties.  I have no confidence we can beat KC.  But I will be hoping!

There are alot of variables that will go into whether we compete WK 1 or not.  I feel if the defense can at least hold up in the secondary and apply above average to elite pressure, then we should keep them at 35 or less.  If the offense can show improvement with a better QB and control the time of possession then that number should go down to 24 points against; and we should be able to put up 3 tds and at least 2 FGs.  The line play is suspect due to rehabbing injuries and lack of preseason readiness, but that is not our fault and the coaches are paid to know whats best.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(08-17-2019, 08:40 AM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 05:26 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Y'all can argue weather if you want.  But we have no idea what our offense looks like.  None.  It should be better this year.  But how much better?  We have a good qb now.  But we don't know what the O-line is going to be.  Or the receivers.  And only 1 rb who's worth a flip.  Are we sure the D is going to be as good as the last two years?  1 proven linebacker. 0 proven safeties.  I have no confidence we can beat KC.  But I will be hoping!

There are alot of variables that will go into whether we compete WK 1 or not.  I feel if the defense can at least hold up in the secondary and apply above average to elite pressure, then we should keep them at 35 or less.  If the offense can show improvement with a better QB and control the time of possession then that number should go down to 24 points against; and we should be able to put up 3 tds and at least 2 FGs.  The line play is suspect due to rehabbing injuries and lack of preseason readiness, but that is not our fault and the coaches are paid to know whats best.
I will wait until after the fins game to see just how much of a chance we have against KC.  It won't be won't be the best way to gauge our chances but at least we will see the starters and get some feel for the team.

Kansas City - 23
Jacksonville - 17

We'll lose. We played them last year. And technically we were able to make Mahomes make mistakes. He had his lowest QB rating against our defense last year. That's something to be proud of considering he was the MVP and went onto to toss 50 TD's.

With that said. Andy Reid is a better football coach over Doug Marrone. And we've yet to see the first string offense this preseason. September is more than likely going to be a brutal month for this team. Maybe lucky to win one game. It's a new offensive system. New starting QB. Too many guys coming back from injuries. They'll be rusty as [BLEEP] in this opener.

I am giving KC 23 points. But the linebackers will have their hands full with Kelce. And the inexperience there along with the inexperience now at the safety positions are especially concerning. Andy Reid will probably look at last year's game and work something out with Mahomes to school Wash in this one. He's also familiar with Foles as a QB. He's also familiar with some of the aspects of our offensive system simply due to the Dough Pederson tie in with John DeFilippo and him also being a QB coach for a few years in Oakland.

Not trying to be too pessimistic here but I am being realistic. I still think they can finish strong and still be looking at a 9 - 7 record once the offense starts to gel more. I just think a home opener against the Chiefs, then a trip out west to Houston and then another home again early against the tacks, who, let's face it, doesn't matter if we're 2 - 14 or 14 - 2 during any given year, they just seem to always have our number. Then we travel up to Denver. Where I think they might actually net their first win on the year.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-16-2019, 07:28 PM)Preach Wrote: QB pressure. Don't give him the chance to throw it long.

This is the key, but Mahomes is so mobile and accurate on the run. He's a deadly combination of Mariota's legs and Aaron Rodgers' arm.

(08-28-2019, 01:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...26915?s=21

Assuming 2.0 brings his best game and presses Hill into the next world, this will allow us to focus on Kelce and to a lesser extent Watkins.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(08-28-2019, 02:14 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(08-28-2019, 01:47 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/phillip_heilman/stat...26915?s=21

Assuming 2.0 brings his best game and presses Hill into the next world, this will allow us to focus on Kelce and to a lesser extent Watkins.
And after Hill, Kelce and Watkins, you have to deal with Hardman, Williams and Thompson.

They are certainly a loaded group this year man. Hill can destroy your defense with one play. Kelce is death by a thousand cuts. Hardman can take a shuffle pass to the house and Williams is really great at screens.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2019, 05:17 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(08-28-2019, 02:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-28-2019, 02:14 PM)knarnn Wrote: Assuming 2.0 brings his best game and presses Hill into the next world, this will allow us to focus on Kelce and to a lesser extent Watkins.
And after Hill, Kelce and Watkins, you have to deal with Hardman, Williams and Thompson.

They are certainly a loaded group this year man. Hill can destroy your defense with one play. Kelce is death by a thousand cuts. Hardman can take a shuffle pass to the house and Williams is really great at screens.

Dont want to be that guy, but isnt hardman a rookie.  Also, who are williams and Thompson?  I'm not too familiar with the roster outside of QB hill watkins and kelce.  Who are the other people? At least first names so i can at least see highlghts.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2019, 05:58 PM by JagFan81.)

(08-28-2019, 05:16 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(08-28-2019, 02:21 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: And after Hill, Kelce and Watkins, you have to deal with Hardman, Williams and Thompson.

Dont want to be that guy, but isnt hardman a rookie.  Also, who are williams and Thompson?  I'm not too familiar with the roster outside of QB hill watkins and kelce.  Who are the other people? At least first names so i can at least see highlghts.

The big thing people seem to be focusing on is the speed of the WR's. Hill runs a 4.1, then the next two are 4.2 and 4.3

Any backfield will struggle covering that speed longer than 5 seconds and with Mahomes arm and ability to scramble, they think they can hurt you wherever they want. 

William's replaced Hunt last season, did a nice job in the playoffs.
The main  thing is getting off the field on 3rd down. Cant let them keep plays alive but the Chiefs look like the benchmark for this season.

This Mecole Hardman the rookie WR against the Bengals in pre season. https://youtu.be/QBedO_jI0is

Cant out the clip up for some reason. He looks fast.

(08-28-2019, 05:49 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(08-28-2019, 05:16 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Dont want to be that guy, but isnt hardman a rookie.  Also, who are williams and Thompson?  I'm not too familiar with the roster outside of QB hill watkins and kelce.  Who are the other people? At least first names so i can at least see highlghts.

The big thing people seem to be focusing on is the speed of the WR's. Hill runs a 4.1, then the next two are 4.2 and 4.3

Any backfield will struggle covering that speed longer than 5 seconds and with Mahomes arm and ability to scramble, they think they can hurt you wherever they want. 

William's replaced Hunt last season, did a nice job in the playoffs.
The main  thing is getting off the field on 3rd down. Cant let them keep plays alive but the Chiefs look like the benchmark for this season.

This Mecole Hardman the rookie WR against the Bengals in pre season. https://youtu.be/QBedO_jI0is

Cant out the clip up for some reason. He looks fast.

Hardman ran 4.33 at the combine. He has legit speed.

Tough match-up to start the season, without a doubt. At least the game is at home. I would think the best way to win this game is to keep the ball out of Mahomes' hands by running a ball control offense and by chewing up the clock. While a lot of focus will be placed upon Kansas City's offense, their defense can be scored upon, both on the ground and through the air. KC's defense allowed 132.1 yards per game on the ground, 6th worst in the league. While I believe a sound running game is key, The Jags can not overlook the fact that the Chiefs in 2018 gave up 273.4 passing yards per game, more than any other team except the Bengals. So we will need to pick our spots and take what their defense gives us, while running primarily a ball control offense.

Of course, all that goes out the window if we quickly fall behind. But even in that scenario, our passing game should find some success against that defense.

As of this moment, Vegas has the Chiefs at -4. Probably about right. If we do our best to keep this close, I do believe we have a shot to win this game.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."        --Plato

This team can win if the execute a few key things.

1. They have to get pressure with 4 defensive linemen. Let the back 7 play a zone and attack with the front 4. If Mahomes has too much time or we get desperate and send the blitz it's game over. Hit the QB!

2. Effective Ball Control: This team must own Time of possession and score on long drives. 3rd down will be the key to winning or losing this game.

3. Do not turn the ball over. Every single possession is going to count!
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

4. protect own qb.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

My concern is that Mahomes will pick apart the zone.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."        --Plato

(08-28-2019, 06:20 PM)ferocious Wrote: Tough match-up to start the season, without a doubt.  At least the game is at home.  I would think the best way to win this game is to keep the ball out of Mahomes' hands by running a ball control offense and by chewing up the clock.  While a lot of focus will be placed upon Kansas City's offense, their defense can be scored upon, both on the ground and through the air.  KC's defense allowed 132.1 yards per game on the ground, 6th worst in the league. While I believe a sound running game is key, The Jags can not overlook the fact that the Chiefs in 2018 gave up 273.4 passing yards per game, more than any other team except the Bengals.  So we will need to pick our spots and take what their defense gives us, while running primarily a ball control offense.

Of course, all that goes out the window if we quickly fall behind.  But even in that scenario, our passing game should find some success against that defense.

As of this moment, Vegas has the Chiefs at -4.  Probably about right.  If we do our best to keep this close, I do believe we have a shot to win this game.

I think its been said elsewhere in the thread, the heat could be our biggest help. 1pm start, should be seriously hot. We need to find ways to keep the Chiefs D out there and wear them down. 

Going to be a tough game but also a good chance to see where we are against the competition and a chance to lay down a marker for the season. 

Agree with your points, Mahomes cant hurt you when hes sitting on the sidelines.

Fournette needs to come up big in this one. I think he will.

Our best chance to win is to get pressure with 4 (Allen, Yan, Campbell and co... Do your thing please!) and play deep cover 4. Force Mahomes to make the quick/short throw and swarm to the ball. Bend but don't break, they will score points. That offense is NASTY. If we can get 4 or more sacks and a takeaway, we can win this game with a solid ground game and just play keep away from that offense, need touchdowns though. 

I like our chances early on in the year and at home, I see a 27-24 type game in favor of either team.

(08-28-2019, 06:20 PM)ferocious Wrote: Tough match-up to start the season, without a doubt.  At least the game is at home.  I would think the best way to win this game is to keep the ball out of Mahomes' hands by running a ball control offense and by chewing up the clock.  While a lot of focus will be placed upon Kansas City's offense, their defense can be scored upon, both on the ground and through the air.  KC's defense allowed 132.1 yards per game on the ground, 6th worst in the league. While I believe a sound running game is key, The Jags can not overlook the fact that the Chiefs in 2018 gave up 273.4 passing yards per game, more than any other team except the Bengals.  So we will need to pick our spots and take what their defense gives us, while running primarily a ball control offense.

Of course, all that goes out the window if we quickly fall behind.  But even in that scenario, our passing game should find some success against that defense.

As of this moment, Vegas has the Chiefs at -4.  Probably about right.  If we do our best to keep this close, I do believe we have a shot to win this game.

While agree with your points, I think the biggest factor in getting the win will be forcing turnovers. Get that momentum swinging out way, and don't think about laying off the gas.

I never have wanted to beat the Chiefs more badly as that scumbag Tyreek Hill is still on the team. The ultimate example of a team turning a blind eye to keep talent.