Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Preparing for week 1

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2019, 05:24 PM by knarnn.)

Quote: Kelce was asked what the Chiefs’ offense can do with the speed of wide receivers Tyreek HillSammy WatkinsDemarcus Robinson and rookie Mecole Hardman, and he answered, “Anything we want to do.”

“You name it. We’ve got 4.2, 4.3, maybe 4.1. I don’t know what Tyreek runs now. Who knows? We’ve got guys that can absolutely fly all over the field,” Kelce said, via ESPN. “Speed kills in this game. If you’ve got it, you’re in the advantage. We’re taking it up a level [from] years past. You can just tell from the coaches’ excitement to their attention to detail to how guys are reacting to their coaching. This team is going to be awesome. We’re going to have a lot of fun on the offensive side of the ball.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ant-to-do/

How do you defend against this speed?

It’s scary when you really put it on paper.

No matter how good the Jags defense may be, KC will inevitably score points based on exploited mismatches. Do we have the horses to keep the damage to a minimum or are we hoping/wishing/dreaming the offense can manage to score 50 points in a shootout?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Don’t give up the big play.
I think we’ll use a few different cover 4 looks from Wash designed to allow the dink and dunk but prevent the the deep pass.

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2019, 05:09 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

If the defensive players are saying they won against said speed, i have no worries. I have a strong belief that our defense is better than theirs and if they can shut it down for the most part, so can we
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2019, 05:37 PM by knarnn.)

(08-14-2019, 05:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Don’t give up the big play.
I think we’ll use a few different cover 4 looks from Wash designed to allow the dink  and dunk but prevent the the deep pass.

Easier said than done when starting a rookie at LB coming off injury and a relatively inexperienced FS who’s filled in decently in spot duty but hasn’t had an extended look as a starter.

Both will be asked to cover Kelce at some point during the game. I’d say that’s asking a lot out of the duo.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Kansas City has quite possibly the best looking offense that I've seen in my lifetime. I have basically written this game off as a loss. The good news is, it's only one game.

(08-14-2019, 03:57 PM)knarnn Wrote:
Quote: Kelce was asked what the Chiefs’ offense can do with the speed of wide receivers Tyreek HillSammy WatkinsDemarcus Robinson and rookie Mecole Hardman, and he answered, “Anything we want to do.”

“You name it. We’ve got 4.2, 4.3, maybe 4.1. I don’t know what Tyreek runs now. Who knows? We’ve got guys that can absolutely fly all over the field,” Kelce said, via ESPN. “Speed kills in this game. If you’ve got it, you’re in the advantage. We’re taking it up a level [from] years past. You can just tell from the coaches’ excitement to their attention to detail to how guys are reacting to their coaching. This team is going to be awesome. We’re going to have a lot of fun on the offensive side of the ball.”

No matter how good the Jags defense may be, KC will inevitably score points based on exploited mismatches. Do we have the horses to keep the damage to a minimum or are we hoping/wishing/dreaming the offense can manage to score 50 points in a shootout?

The way you beat them is keep their offense off the field. Ball control and then play opportunistically on defense.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I think we’ll use a few different cover 4 looks from Wash designed to allow the dink  and dunk but prevent the the deep pass.

Easier said than done.

Even if you have the DBs play further back than normal every down, it invites Mahomes to attack underneath, and still allows for big play potential.  A short underneath pass properly executed combined with a poor angle or missed tackle can still turn into a big play.

Furthermore, given enough time on deeper route speed can overcome that. 

This game is going to hinge on the offense getting the ball and holding it and taking the lead and the D-Line providing unreal pass rush against them.  Even then it isn't a given against an attack like that (see the '85 Bears lone loss vs. Miami).

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Welp, looks like a loss on week 1

Control the clock by running the ball and keep their Offense off the field as long/much as possible. This team must have multiple long scoring drives. I'm talking drives that eat 7-8 minutes off the clock each time and that end in TDs.

Keep them under 24 points and we'll have a good shot at winning this game. Can't get into a shoot out with them.

All is easier said than done, but that's the recipe to beating them.

Just get some children on the field. Hill will be too distracted trying to hurt them to play. EZ

NEXT QUESTION

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2019, 09:38 PM by Firesky.)

This. How quickly we forget that our Defense played really really well against them last year. Bortles 5 INT meltdown nightmare (against the 32nd ranked Defense...) obviously causes PTSD when that game is brought up. But what gets lost is that, Jalen kept the lid on Tyreek, Mahomes had his worst game as a pro 0 pasing TD's, 2 INT's, and the worst qb rating of his career (that said, he did rush for a TD, and exposed this Defense's massive weakness against mobile qb's threatening the edge). Bouye playing hurt limited watkins production. Both Kareem Hunt and Travis Kelce torched us.. but Hunt is no longer there.

Last year if we had a QB that didnt turn the ball over, the defense wins us that game. That's hopefully what Foles can provide, we also didn't have Fournette against them last year which should help our case. Their Defense is still pretty atrocious. The game is in Duval this year instead of Arrowhead (which is one of the best homefield advantages in the league) It's week 1, so if the forecast is on our side and the Heat is high like week 2 against the Pats last year, that's perfect because heat and humidity usually kill speed focused teams over the course of the game.

If we just play zone over the top to deny the big play, our dline can get to Mahomes to disrupt him enough for a big play on D. I think they can steal a win.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

The Chiefs are legit SB contenders.

Sometimes you just have to hope they’re not connecting on big plays.

Pass rush has to get home and pressure Mahomes.

Plant Mahommes 5 times and the Jags will win.

Looking back at last seasons game, we were doing OK on D. They killed us first drive but then we started to make some plays. Gipson was the first to pick Mahomes. It was the Bortles pick in the end zone then pick 6 after that killed us off.

Were going to have to ride our luck, get home with a 4 man rush (those LBs are in for a real NFL welcome), and add points most drives, we have a shot.

(08-14-2019, 03:57 PM)knarnn Wrote:

You have to jam them at the line of scrimmage to counter the speed.

(08-14-2019, 10:12 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Plant Mahommes 5 times and the Jags will win.

Taping a copy of Ngakoue’s current contract to Mahommes’ jersey should get that done.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2019, 08:28 AM by The Real Marty.)

With our pass rush, I would do the opposite.  Cover tight and hope the pass rush gets home.  Make Mahomes hold the ball a little longer.   

But allowing them to dink and dunk all over the field is giving up our best asset, which is our pass rush.

(08-15-2019, 08:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

With our pass rush, I would do the opposite.  Cover tight and hope the pass rush gets home.  Make Mahomes hold the ball a little longer.   

But allowing them to dink and dunk all over the field is giving up our best asset, which is our pass rush.
This. You have to press and allow big boys to penetrate. Big plays need time to develop, and the jags have the D to drastically shorten that time. The Jags are built to match that big-play offense. Dink and dunk is our kryptonite!
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(08-14-2019, 05:34 PM)knarnn Wrote:

Both will be asked to cover Kelce at some point during the game. I’d say that’s asking a lot out of the duo.

I dunno. We don't know the coaches game plan. We could have one player shadow Kelce all game.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2019, 10:24 AM by jagshype.)

(08-15-2019, 08:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Their route concepts and timing are too good.
One missed tackle or one false step and they are to the house.
Zone shell and give up the underneath. Force Mahomes to be patient and Gang tackle the dink and dunk. Forcing them to eat clock and limit possessions is the key.
As good as our secondary is, you dont want to challenge their speed and precision with man coverage.

I think the Patriots style of man to man press with a single high safety they used during the playoffs vs the Chiefs only works because the Pats have a quick strike offense. The risk/reward of playing that type of defense gets balanced by their offense, being able to play pass heavy if they fall behind. The Pats offense had the ability to play a game style that features many possessions.
Jags dont have that type of offense. The Jags want to limit possessions and control the game with their run game.

Remember the offense and defense go hand in hand. One cant put the other in a bad spot.