Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
***Jaguars Vs. Eagles Preseason Game Night Thread***

(08-16-2019, 02:50 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Honestly. Go look over that 2018 draft and tell me who we should have drafted at 29th overall? I don't think Taven will amount to anything but that spot was the worst spot to be in.

Hernandez was the overwhelming choice on this board, with Goedert the runner up. Either would have been excellent choices. Goedert has looked phenomenal, even though he is playing behind Ertz and should get a much bigger role this year. I was just watching the first drive of the Giants against the Bears tonight and Hernandez is like a road grader. He was opening huge running lanes and even held off two defensive linemen on one play. He would've been a great selection for us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don’t think Taven was the 28th best player in the country in 2018.

(08-16-2019, 06:09 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 10:03 AM)Brett Wrote: I didn't hear much about the game but saw that BCC just posted this. Watch the left DT position...apparently that's Taven Bryan.

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/11...3627101184

LOL is this a serious post???

He was very clearly double teamed on that play (he also tripped over the other DTs legs which is why he fell)... I made it a point to watch him whenever he was in the game last night and he got doubled a good amount of the time.

If you're doubled because you're disruptive and that's the only way they can stop you, that's pretty cool. If you're doubled because they can drive you 6 yards down the field because you come off the snap too slow and can't hold the point, well... that's not very cool.

(08-17-2019, 08:26 AM)Last42min Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 06:09 PM)Eric1 Wrote: LOL is this a serious post???

He was very clearly double teamed on that play (he also tripped over the other DTs legs which is why he fell)... I made it a point to watch him whenever he was in the game last night and he got doubled a good amount of the time.

If you're doubled because you're disruptive and that's the only way they can stop you, that's pretty cool. If you're doubled because they can drive you 6 yards down the field because you come off the snap too slow and can't hold the point, well... that's not very cool.

It's 50/50 here for me now. He did, like I said on my first post in this thread, have his butt handed to him on that play. But that defense as a unit there had their butts handed to them. They got caught sleeping there. The linebackers broke their gap assignments and that left end probably took a block below the legs that should have been flagged. 

That then allowed the backdoor to swing wide open for that runner to shoot through. Good job by the safety on that play though. He saved a potential TD. I don't want to keep picking on Bryan. He was a late round pick. Very limited and raw as a Gator coming over here. Maybe his performance will improve when he's not the focal point of our opponents blocking schemes. 

I want to see him lined-up with Dareus, Campbell, Ngakoue and maybe even Allen pressed up to the line of scrimmage in a 5 man rush package at some point this year before I kick him some more. He did make up for it later with a nice blow up in the backfield for a TFL. You win some. You lose some. At this point I would be happy if they got a Rob Meier type of player out of him.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I thought those Wyoming boys were strong from lassoing and wresting those bulls. Come on taven.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-17-2019, 09:09 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: I thought those Wyoming boys were strong from lassoing and wresting those bulls. Come on taven.
In the first game Taven was getting some good push into the oline, but the second game the Eagles seem to key on him with double teams because of the lack of talent on the line.  I think when he plays with the starters teams will not have that luxury and he will show good growth form year one.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2019, 12:17 PM by Setsuna00. Edit Reason: more )

(08-16-2019, 07:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 02:50 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: Honestly. Go look over that 2018 draft and tell me who we should have drafted at 29th overall? I don't think Taven will amount to anything but that spot was the worst spot to be in.

Hernandez was the overwhelming choice on this board, with Goedert the runner up. Either would have been excellent choices. Goedert has looked phenomenal, even though he is playing behind Ertz and should get a much bigger role this year. I was just watching the first drive of the Giants against the Bears tonight and Hernandez is like a road grader. He was opening huge running lanes and even held off two defensive linemen on one play. He would've been a great selection for us.

Don't blame me. I didn't pick him. Blame Caldwell and Coughlin. And who was going to throw to Goedert exactly? Certainly not Bortles who was our de facto starting QB at the time.

(08-16-2019, 04:48 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 04:35 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: You don't draft another RB in the first round the year after you draft one top 4. That's asinine. An OL I guess would have been more appropriate, but that's it.

By that logic we shouldn't have drafted Josh Allen then after drafting Taven Bryan the year before. I think you can make a case for drafting a RB there. We DID rely on the ground game a lot in 2017. When we finished up 2018 we had Fournette oft injured, Grant on IR with a foot injury and Yeldon hitting free agency. Then we ended up trading for Carlos Hyde and cutting him or trading him away shortly after this previous season had ended. RB left a lot to be desired in 2018. It remains to be seen for 2019. Hopefully Armstead pans out. 

Allen and Bryan play at 2 completely different positions, so you're wrong there.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(08-17-2019, 08:26 AM)Last42min Wrote:
(08-16-2019, 06:09 PM)Eric1 Wrote: LOL is this a serious post???

It’s not like we are seeing some sort of trend with him being doubled. 
It’s one preseason game and one outlier clip that is probably the worst example of his play thus far. 
He’s still raw, and there are definitely snaps where he gets his [BLEEP] handed to him, but reading into this one snap too much isn’t going to give you a clear picture of Taven Bryan’s ability.