Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cowboys extend Jaylon Smith

The Cowboys just extended LB Jaylon Smith's contract. He jumped the line ahead of Prescott, Elliott and Cooper. It'll be interesting to see what the numbers are since Myles Jack will probably be looking for a deal in the same neighborhood as what Smith gets. I hope it's not too astronomical. We still have other players that need signed as well like Ramsey and Ngakoue.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

3rd highest paid Linebacker now with the guaranteed money tied into his contract.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Smith got 5 years $65 million with $35.5 million guaranteed. Ouch! I really don't see us being able to keep Ngakoue, Ramsey and Jack. I know we could keep 2 of the 3, but I'll take some creative maneuvering to sign all 3. Ramsey will cost us about $17 to $18 million per year, Ngakoue will cost about $19-20 million per year and Jack will cost us about $12 million a year. That's about $50 million per year wrapped up in 3 players.

They would have to cut corners on offense. Probably looking at Norwell and/or Linder being canned if they really feel the need and desire to retain Jack. But unless Jack churns out some kind of crazy season where he earns All-Pro honors I just don't see them keeping him. Unless they can cut Campbell, Dareus and Bouye to make just enough room?

Jerry Jones is a clown though. He's known for overpaying his players. He really screwed us on this one. But it's a trend so I understand. Now guys like Kuechley with the Panthers will be looking for primo.

I was saying earlier this year though that if that kid from Northwestern plays well. Paddy Fisher. He would be an ideal player to target in next year's draft. Could be a late RD1 steal or day two steal to replace Jack inside.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-20-2019, 08:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Smith got 5 years $65 million with $35.5 million guaranteed. Ouch! I really don't see us being able to keep Ngakoue, Ramsey and Jack. I know we could keep 2 of the 3, but I'll take some creative maneuvering to sign all 3. Ramsey will cost us about $17 to $18 million per year, Ngakoue will cost about $19-20 million per year and Jack will cost us about $12 million a year. That's about $50 million per year wrapped up in 3 players.
Only $19 million is fully guaranteed, the rest is injury guaranteed and is a roster bonus on the 5th day

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Jack would probably get slightly less than Smith, unless he has a huge year. I'd love to keep him, but he's definitely my third priority behind Jalen and Yan.

Yeah this isn't good for us keeping Jack. We should have been trying to get a deal done with him first. Jaylon was a lot better last year than Jack has been too so we can't be paying that kind of money for a guy with Jack's potential, but unrealized thus far. Granted, he has the talent to change that this season.

(08-21-2019, 01:50 PM)Upper Wrote: Yeah this isn't good for us keeping Jack. We should have been trying to get a deal done with him first. Jaylon was a lot better last year than Jack has been too so we can't be paying that kind of money for a guy with Jack's potential, but unrealized thus far. Granted, he has the talent to change that this season.
It's really only a 2 year deal unless he gets hurt. After that he can be cut without much of a hit.

So much for Myles falling to round 2 for a bummed knee. Here we are discussing his second contract.

These scouts are terrible.

(This post was last modified: 08-27-2019, 12:25 PM by Caldrac.)

(08-27-2019, 10:58 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: So much for Myles falling to round 2 for a bummed knee. Here we are discussing his second contract.

These scouts are terrible.

That was and still is my favorite first three rounds in franchise history. Ramsey in RD1, Jack in RD2 and Ngakoue in RD3. I know the NFL is a business. And it's not realistic to think we could keep all three of them here for the next five or more years as a trio. Anything is possible though. I would love to see nothing more than all three of those guys earn all-pro honors in 2019 while assisting us back to a Championship game. 

It'll be an interesting year. Still surprised nothing has been done with Ngakoue's extension. Ramsey will be next along with Jack. It's a good problem to have now that this team has finally churned out good talent through the draft. But it's also disheartening to see such young talent possibly get away.

If they all three play light's out this year. I wouldn't mind seeing Bouye, Campbell, Dareus, Linder and Norwell all cut or traded away to recoup some salary money. I wouldn't be a fan of it entirely. Especially with Campbell and Bouye being cut. But if it means securing an elite level or above average athlete at each level on defense? Do it.

In too lazy to look, how do the details of Jack's new extension compare to Smith's?

(08-31-2019, 03:09 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: In too lazy to look, how do the details of Jack's new extension compare to Smith's?
5 yr 35 million guaranteed, but really only 2 yr 19 million, rest is injury guaranteed only. Hopefully Miles contract is similar and not fully guaranteed.