Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tropical Storm Dorian

(09-04-2019, 11:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 11:11 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I guess we’re gonna be okay here. The Weather Channel has a chick here. We didn’t get the bald guy!

It has to do with aerodynamics.

He’s got something every weather person needs to be successful. Hair that doesn’t get messed up during a storm!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-04-2019, 10:03 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 09:25 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: The local media is really reaching
A TV47 reporter was up here on Fernandina Beach and "reported" on the waves receding.....pointed up the beach..."A few hours ago...the water was up there!"
points down to the water....."And now its down there!"

Maybe the tides dude? Duh....

Was he talking loudly and demonstrably swaying to counteract the moderate wind?

LoL...He was kind of excited. Trying to make something out of nothing.
I have no idea where they find some of these people.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Dunes breached @ Vilano. Waves on A1A
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(09-04-2019, 07:49 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Everyone stay safe today.

[Image: 092607.png]

I'm in Vermont and the house is insured.  My only worry is finding a place to watch the game this Sunday.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I've got a good dozen sticks in my yard.

This hasn't even been like a bad thunderstorm in Fruit Cove.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Catastrophic amounts of moss in Mandarin.

We will rebuild.

A quick show of hands: Who bought a generator?

I already had one...they had 79 of them at the Lowes in Mandarin. $799 per...wonder if they'll now go on sale

(09-04-2019, 02:49 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: A quick show of hands: Who bought a generator?

I own 3 generators and use one of them pretty much weekly.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I already had two. After Matthew I bought one of the super quiet 2000 Watt ones. Loved it so much after Irma I bought the bigger super quiet version. Was kinda hoping for an outage. I always liked when the power went out as a kid.

I don't want to give into all the storm hype and buy one just to have it sitting for years unused. However, it is a nice thing to have if you need it. If I do, I've been eyeing this one. I'll be keeping an eye on the price to see if it drops at all during the quiet season.

I have the one I bought for the 2004 hurricanes. It was still working and useful three years ago with Matthew, and working in 2017 although I never lost power with Irma. The plastic fuel line disconnect crumbled and I had to bypass it. Who knew that 15 year old plastic parts wouldn't hold up? I got it running again Saturday. It's really loud. I'm glad I didn't need it. I also now have 15 gallons of ethanol-free gasoline that I didn't need.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(09-04-2019, 10:07 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: I have the one I bought for the 2004 hurricanes. It was still working and useful three years ago with Matthew, and working in 2017 although I never lost power with Irma. The plastic fuel line disconnect crumbled and I had to bypass it. Who knew that 15 year old plastic parts wouldn't hold up? I got it running again Saturday. It's really loud. I'm glad I didn't need it. I also now have 15 gallons of ethanol-free gasoline that I didn't need.
Mine is older too, had it since I think 08, I sleep like a baby with it's loud [BLEEP] running Smile

Hope my 15 gallons of ethanol free goes in the 4 wheeler in November

(09-05-2019, 09:40 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 10:07 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: I have the one I bought for the 2004 hurricanes. It was still working and useful three years ago with Matthew, and working in 2017 although I never lost power with Irma. The plastic fuel line disconnect crumbled and I had to bypass it. Who knew that 15 year old plastic parts wouldn't hold up? I got it running again Saturday. It's really loud. I'm glad I didn't need it. I also now have 15 gallons of ethanol-free gasoline that I didn't need.
Mine is older too, had it since I think 08, I sleep like a baby with it's loud [BLEEP] running Smile

Hope my 15 gallons of ethanol free goes in the 4 wheeler in November

I have two generators that are over 10 years old.  I use one of them pretty much every weekend on my property out in the woods while I'm getting my newer (much quieter) one repaired.  The key things to do with them are to change the oil at least once a season, even if you don't run it much.  Also ALWAYS use non-ethanol gas whenever possible.  Finally, start them up and run them for a bit with a load on them at least once a year.  I've done these things with mine over the years and they work just fine.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-04-2019, 09:08 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don't want to give into all the storm hype and buy one just to have it sitting for years unused. However, it is a nice thing to have if you need it. If I do, I've been eyeing this one. I'll be keeping an eye on the price to see if it drops at all during the quiet season.

Those predators are pretty good.   I’ve got the 3500/3000 and 2000/1800. Both are inverters.  Super quiet.  Knowing someone with the Honda’s, he and I can’t see a difference between them.  Like, predator should probably be sued tbh.    I’m not not worried about having too much amps/watts.   The 3500 will run my entire travel trailer.   For outages, it’ll do more than enough to stay sane.   Obviously no ac, but you’d have to have a hella big one to do that as well.  Which is why I never really bothered with the bigger ones like what you are looking at.  How much of that are you really going to use with a fridge, lights, fans, tv/internet?   Heck, my 2000 did all that for Irma.  Plus it’s smaller and quiet.  So, something to think about before purchasing one.

(09-05-2019, 04:18 PM)Jags Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 09:08 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don't want to give into all the storm hype and buy one just to have it sitting for years unused. However, it is a nice thing to have if you need it. If I do, I've been eyeing this one. I'll be keeping an eye on the price to see if it drops at all during the quiet season.

Those predators are pretty good.   I’ve got the 3500/3000 and 2000/1800. Both are inverters.  Super quiet.  Knowing someone with the Honda’s, he and I can’t see a difference between them.  Like, predator should probably be sued tbh.    I’m not not worried about having too much amps/watts.   The 3500 will run my entire travel trailer.   For outages, it’ll do more than enough to stay sane.   Obviously no ac, but you’d have to have a hella big one to do that as well.  Which is why I never really bothered with the bigger ones like what you are looking at.  How much of that are you really going to use with a fridge, lights, fans, tv/internet?   Heck, my 2000 did all that for Irma.  Plus it’s smaller and quiet.  So, something to think about before purchasing one.

I watched a review on the inverters and they are very quiet, but I'm looking for one to run a fridge, a deep freezer, lights, fan, and a window AC unit. Oh, and a Death Laser, if needed. Ninja  I haven't really researched exactly what I would need, but figured it's best to have too much than not enough.

(This post was last modified: 09-05-2019, 05:09 PM by Jags.)

(09-05-2019, 04:45 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 04:18 PM)Jags Wrote: Those predators are pretty good.   I’ve got the 3500/3000 and 2000/1800. Both are inverters.  Super quiet.  Knowing someone with the Honda’s, he and I can’t see a difference between them.  Like, predator should probably be sued tbh.    I’m not not worried about having too much amps/watts.   The 3500 will run my entire travel trailer.   For outages, it’ll do more than enough to stay sane.   Obviously no ac, but you’d have to have a hella big one to do that as well.  Which is why I never really bothered with the bigger ones like what you are looking at.  How much of that are you really going to use with a fridge, lights, fans, tv/internet?   Heck, my 2000 did all that for Irma.  Plus it’s smaller and quiet.  So, something to think about before purchasing one.

I watched a review on the inverters and they are very quiet, but I'm looking for one to run a fridge, a deep freezer, lights, fan, and a window AC unit. Oh, and a Death Laser, if needed. Ninja  I haven't really researched exactly what I would need, but figured it's best to have too much than not enough.

Yeah, you may want something larger.  You can look at all the labels on the stuff you want to power.   Some will tell you the watts, others you’ll have to multiply the volts x amps (I think, someone can correct me if I’m wrong). That’ll give you the watts.   Fridges and such, will also draw more watts upon start up.  2-3x’s more.  You’ll also, if I’m not mistaken, have to make sure you don’t exceed the amps the generator can put out.  Amps should be listed on the label.  

If a Death Laser is what you’re going for, I’d suggest getting a thousand of those and running them in parallel.  I’m not an evil scientist. Or even a regular scientist.  But that seems to be a good starting point.