Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tropical Storm Dorian

Lost power for a week last year during Florence. Had plenty water, went through gas pretty quick. Gas stations were out of fuel for about 10 days locally and though I had enough in the tank, there was a shortage locally and no way to bring it in due to flooding. My girlfriend's elderly parents were running a generator, and it ate all their gas, and then mine.

I'm in Southeastern NC, and chances are better than even we'll get at least a little of this storm, if not a direct hit again. Preparing now. Florence's eye actually passed over the house last year.

My advice: Water, powerbars, gasoline, cash, ice, batteries - in that order. The biggest thing I missed during Florence, other than AC, was coffee. If you have a camping setup, at least know where it is. Generators are great, but so are inverters and deep cycle batteries. You wanna be able to keep that phone charged without home power.

Oh, and board up and run away if you can - early. Let the neighbors tell you all about the storm.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm always prepared Smile

(08-29-2019, 08:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-29-2019, 12:12 AM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Bought a couple cases of water and filled the gas tank on the way home. Got plenty of food already.

I bought a case of ammo, so I appreciate you stocking up for me!  Ninja
Better not come down my road Cool
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Also, water and supplies can be ordered via amazon.

(08-29-2019, 03:51 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: Lost power for a week last year during Florence.  Had plenty water, went through gas pretty quick.  Gas stations were out of fuel for about 10 days locally and though I had enough in the tank, there was a shortage locally and no way to bring it in due to flooding.  My girlfriend's elderly parents were running a generator, and it ate all their gas, and then mine.

I'm in Southeastern NC, and chances are better than even we'll get at least a little of this storm, if not a direct hit again.  Preparing now.  Florence's eye actually passed over the house last year.

My advice:  Water, powerbars, gasoline, cash, ice, batteries - in that order.  The biggest thing I missed during Florence, other than AC, was coffee.  If you have a camping setup, at least know where it is.  Generators are great, but so are inverters and deep cycle batteries.  You wanna be able to keep that phone charged without home power.

Oh, and board up and run away if you can - early.  Let the neighbors tell you all about the storm.

I live in Moore County and didn't get near what y'all did but it was rough.

My wife, being the good wife that she is brought home 6 cases of beer today.  I asked her "what about the storm that is supposed to hit Monday"?

On a more serious note, I take my generators out and run them with a load on them every April.  I have a stash of gas for them so they are ready to go should we lose power for an extended period of time.  I don't really see that happening with this storm.  Tomorrow I'm going out to our property to make sure stuff is reasonably prepared.  We have some "stuff" (tools and supplies) stored in a pole barn and a camping trailer out there.  I would stay out there (Keystone Heights area) if it wasn't for my "real" job and the obligations that I have here during this coming storm situation.

Really I think that this is going to be more of a "rain event" rather than a "hurricane event".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2019, 08:28 PM by homebiscuit.)

I've bought several 100' extension cords. If the power goes out, I'll stand outside and listen for the closest generator.

I have some of those 5 gallon jugs I keep for storms. I have a special filter attached to my shower cuz I hate the way chlorine makes my hair and skin feel so I use that water to fill the jugs up in storm preparation. I’ve also got a crockpot going with some boiled peanuts. I’m prepared! Laughing
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

eww now they said on orlando's station it might start making landfall on Monday night in south Florida go up the coast and be in Jacksonville mid-day Thursday. That would be a week long effect, no thanks.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(08-29-2019, 09:24 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I have some of those 5 gallon jugs I keep for storms. I have a special filter attached to my shower cuz I hate the way chlorine makes my hair and skin feel so I use that water to fill the jugs up in storm preparation. I’ve also got a crockpot going with some boiled peanuts. I’m prepared! Laughing

Mmmm.....boiled peanuts. Man, I haven't had those in a long time. Good idea!

(08-29-2019, 10:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-29-2019, 09:24 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I have some of those 5 gallon jugs I keep for storms. I have a special filter attached to my shower cuz I hate the way chlorine makes my hair and skin feel so I use that water to fill the jugs up in storm preparation. I’ve also got a crockpot going with some boiled peanuts. I’m prepared! Laughing

Mmmm.....boiled peanuts. Man, I haven't had those in a long time. Good idea!

That’s a requirement of any hurricane preparations in the Bunnie household! Big Grin
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

8am update from NOAA:

[Image: 115127_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Slowing down...with the rain from this weekend...ain't gonna be fun.

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2019, 03:27 PM by americus 2.0.)

I told my husband early in the week we wouldn't have to worry about this one up here in NC. I'm not so sure now.

Follow the Euro....

(08-30-2019, 03:21 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I told my husband early in the week we wouldn't have to worry about this one up here in NC. I'm not so sure now.

I'm headed to OBX next weekend, I hope it's gone before I leave Thursday night!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Looks like you gonna be driving through it...

hmmm don't like the 5:00 update, takes it right up the coast, that's pretty much worse case scenario for us.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Hi, Jaguars fans. Doiran is now a Ct 4 hurricane. Hopefully by Tuesday Night/Wednesday Dorian will/could be downgraded to a Tropical Storm off the coast of Jacksonvile and the the East Coast, after wearing itself out on the Florida peninsula.

(08-30-2019, 04:49 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: Looks like you gonna be driving through it...

As of now my workplace is operational on Tuesday. Depending on the weekend updates I might be headed north when I get done that afternoon and just find a place to stop up in the Carolinas.

(08-29-2019, 08:11 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I've bought several 100' extension cords. If the power goes out, I'll stand outside and listen for the closest generator.

So YOU'RE the electricity thief!  That's why my breaker kept tripping...…..I knew I wasn't using that many amps!
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.