Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anybody still think Minshew will back up NF7?

(08-30-2019, 08:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 08:23 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: In Minshew’s defense, he’s improved quite a bit this preseason for a raw rookie, but McGough did look better. I was really impressed by his scrambling abilities, which was a good thing concerning who he was playing with. With better players around him, I’m sure he would have thrown for TD.

If the QBs scrambling abilities are what we need to win then we are in big trouble.

Which is a real possibility with one or two injuries on the OL. 
I was commenting more on his adaptability. While you don’t want your QB to have to scramble, it’s good if they have that ability.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-30-2019, 10:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 08:25 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: If the QBs scrambling abilities are what we need to win then we are in big trouble.

Which is a real possibility with one or two injuries on the OL. 
I was commenting more on his adaptability. While you don’t want your QB to have to scramble, it’s good if they have that ability.

I just love all the angst over the back up QB. At least by keeping Minshew it will keep the bozos from calling for them to put him in the first time Foles throws a pick this season.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-30-2019, 10:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 10:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Which is a real possibility with one or two injuries on the OL. 

I just love all the angst over the back up QB. At least by keeping Minshew it will keep the bozos from calling for them to put him in the first time Foles throws a pick this season.

Great plan, keep a bad player so that you think people won't call for the benching of a marginal one.

(08-30-2019, 09:22 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 08:26 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Good gravy I thought we were going to see the first ever mid-game cut, that dude doesn't belong on a roster.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how they've let Warhop convince them Wester deserved so many snaps this preseason unless they were literally using him as a workhorse to save other tackles from potential injury. I hope that was the strategy.

He's a terrible offensive tackle.  I'll be upset if he's on the 53. Wells and Ogbuehi are better and Richardson may even be a stronger choice. Watching Wester is like watching Chris Reed and Erick Flowers last year. Maybe worse.

I think I heard early in the broadcast that 8 guys suited up on the line last night, but two went down early, so they have 6 guys for the whole night. No choice but to give those bottom feeders all the reps at that point.

(08-30-2019, 10:31 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 10:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I just love all the angst over the back up QB. At least by keeping Minshew it will keep the bozos from calling for them to put him in the first time Foles throws a pick this season.

Great plan, keep a bad player so that you think people won't call for the benching of a marginal one.

Not a plan, an unintended benefit.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-30-2019, 08:22 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 07:58 AM)NH3 Wrote: The backups under McGough has moved the ball tremendously better than Minshew by far. Reverse the playing rolls and I would've bet that McGough would have had an passing TD or two, or three...

NH3...

Nah, no one on the field could catch the damn ball, hell that guy Brady had 3 catches for 10 yards on like 40 attempts last night. McGough can run better, that's the extent of his skill set.

I disagree w/your mindset. As I attended the game my very/every thought of Minshew's attempted passes was that he consistently threw behind the receiver. Yes, the facemask issue was on the receiver and Brady was aweful but overall throughout the Pre-Season, he's didn't produce at all.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Pick up Hoyer or another vet on Sunday, develop Minshew. We haven't kept 3 QBs in more than 10 years, and look how that's worked out for us. Remember "dial a Bouman?"

If that means we drop a pretty good ST player, so be it. I agree with Homebiscuit, I think Minshew has shown improvement and can get better.

(08-30-2019, 02:02 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 08:22 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Nah, no one on the field could catch the damn ball, hell that guy Brady had 3 catches for 10 yards on like 40 attempts last night. McGough can run better, that's the extent of his skill set.

I disagree w/your mindset. As I attended the game my very/every thought of Minshew's attempted passes was that he consistently threw behind the receiver. Yes, the facemask issue was on the receiver and Brady was aweful but overall throughout the Pre-Season, he's didn't produce at all.

NH3...

Ok, and that matters Sunday exactly how? 6th round rookie is playing as well as 1st year Peyton Manning.

Look, 25 or more teams in this league are screwed by having to use their back up QB if the starter goes down, including this one. This whole thing is just another tempest in a teapot.

(08-30-2019, 03:43 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 02:02 PM)NH3 Wrote: I disagree w/your mindset. As I attended the game my very/every thought of Minshew's attempted passes was that he consistently threw behind the receiver. Yes, the facemask issue was on the receiver and Brady was aweful but overall throughout the Pre-Season, he's didn't produce at all.

NH3...

Ok, and that matters Sunday exactly how? 6th round rookie is playing as well as 1st year Peyton Manning.

Look, 25 or more teams in this league are screwed by having to use their back up QB if the starter goes down, including this one. This whole thing is just another tempest in a teapot.

Tempest in a teapot? We're just discussing a potential backup QB here, man. Don't be harshing our mellow.

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2019, 04:44 PM by Predator.)

For me, the types of situations he was put into made it extremely difficult to evaluate.

He spent his time running an offense that couldn't run the ball, didn't pass block very well, and had a lot of drops in critical situations.

What also makes it difficult is that he never got a chance to run the 1st string offense so we never got to see how he could play if everything around him wasn't a dumpster fire.

(08-30-2019, 04:43 PM)Predator Wrote: For me, the types of situations he was put into made it extremely difficult to evaluate.

He spent his time running an offense that couldn't run the ball, didn't pass block very well, and had a lot of drops in critical situations.

What also makes it difficult is that he never got a chance to run the 1st string offense so we never got to see how he could play if everything around him wasn't a dumpster fire.

No logic allowed here, we must panic!
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Jaxson the friendly news bot just reported McCough has been released. Guess it's Minshew..

Here we go again with the back up QB talk. It doesn’t even matter.

If Foles go down it doesn’t matter after that.

(08-30-2019, 03:43 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 02:02 PM)NH3 Wrote: I disagree w/your mindset. As I attended the game my very/every thought of Minshew's attempted passes was that he consistently threw behind the receiver. Yes, the facemask issue was on the receiver and Brady was aweful but overall throughout the Pre-Season, he's didn't produce at all.

NH3...

Lord Have Mercy! 

You are truly making my point w/respect to being the back up called into duty when needed. Minshew isn't the answer.

BTW, first year Payton Manning performed Much Better.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Justis has been raving about Sloter. I'd be all about getting him if he becomes available.

(08-30-2019, 08:30 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 03:43 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Ok, and that matters Sunday exactly how? 6th round rookie is playing as well as 1st year Peyton Manning.

Lord Have Mercy! 

You are truly making my point w/respect to being the back up called into duty when needed. Minshew isn't the answer.

NH3...

Better than what? Minshew has yet to see the field. 1st year Peyton would've been pilloried by this message board crew.

(08-30-2019, 09:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 08:30 PM)NH3 Wrote: Lord Have Mercy! 

NH3...

Better than what? Minshew has yet to see the field. 1st year Peyton would've been pilloried by this message board crew.

Minshew has seen the field for 30 series this preseason and looked like hot garbage in every one of them. He produced a whopping 2 field goals in 30 series...

He is nothing but a product of a system, which myself and many other people have said from the start. The QB position (especially the backup) is still going to be a high priority going into next draft/off season.

(08-30-2019, 10:17 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 09:40 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Better than what? Minshew has yet to see the field. 1st year Peyton would've been pilloried by this message board crew.

Minshew has seen the field for 30 series this preseason and looked like hot garbage in every one of them. He produced a whopping 2 field goals in 30 series...

He is nothing but a product of a system, which myself and many other people have said from the start. The QB position (especially the backup) is still going to be a high priority going into next draft/off season.

It might be a draft issue next year, but this also might be a system that he does well in once they actually start using it (if he ever takes a snap in it this season). We dont know yet and all the knee jerking is going to put you guys in the hospital.

(08-30-2019, 05:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: 4 games playing with practice squad talent around him. Lol, another panic attack.

Yeah, and he's a rookie. I'm a little uncomfortable with him as second string but he could probably get us through a game or two playing with the first string. One thing I'd say, compared to Bortles or Kessler he has much better vision. Ironically, other than salary Bortles would make a good backup for us but that's neither here nor there.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(08-30-2019, 10:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 10:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Which is a real possibility with one or two injuries on the OL. 

It's silly. No matter who's backing up Foles, if Foles goes down more than two games the season is effectively over.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt