Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anybody still think Minshew will back up NF7?

(08-31-2019, 08:02 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 10:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I just love all the angst over the back up QB. At least by keeping Minshew it will keep the bozos from calling for them to put him in the first time Foles throws a pick this season.

It's silly. No matter who's backing up Foles, if Foles goes down more than two games the season is effectively over.

Very ironic statement here.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-31-2019, 10:31 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 08:02 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: It's silly. No matter who's backing up Foles, if Foles goes down more than two games the season is effectively over.

Very ironic statement here.

That's Carson Wentz's user name.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2019, 10:37 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(08-31-2019, 08:02 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 10:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I just love all the angst over the back up QB. At least by keeping Minshew it will keep the bozos from calling for them to put him in the first time Foles throws a pick this season.

It's silly. No matter who's backing up Foles, if Foles goes down more than two games the season is effectively over.

That doesn't have to be the case though, if you have a decent backup. All you need is a guy who at least gives you a chance to win. No one is saying we should go out and get another Tom Brady or even another Nick Foles. That's unrealistic. We just want to have enough depth at QB, where if you have to use the backup he gives you a 50-50 shot to win the game if everything else clicks. Minshew can't even find the endzone.

(08-31-2019, 10:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 08:02 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: It's silly. No matter who's backing up Foles, if Foles goes down more than two games the season is effectively over.

That doesn't have to be the case though, if you have a decent backup. All you need is a guy who at least gives you a chance to win. No one is saying we should go out and get another Tom Brady or even another Nick Foles. That's unrealistic. We just want to have enough depth at QB, where if you have to use the backup he gives you a 50-50 shot to win the game if everything else clicks. Minshew can't even find the endzone.

I don’t believe you can say that with certainty. Minshew’s progress was obvious during the preseason, and that was working with a squad who will mostly be out on the street today. Given time, I think he’ll be a sound backup.

(08-31-2019, 10:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 10:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That doesn't have to be the case though, if you have a decent backup. All you need is a guy who at least gives you a chance to win. No one is saying we should go out and get another Tom Brady or even another Nick Foles. That's unrealistic. We just want to have enough depth at QB, where if you have to use the backup he gives you a 50-50 shot to win the game if everything else clicks. Minshew can't even find the endzone.

I don’t believe you can say that with certainty. Minshew’s progress was obvious during the preseason, and that was working with a squad who will mostly be out on the street today. Given time, I think he’ll be a sound backup.

To who? I kept hearing about this progress, but when I watched him, I saw none and he still couldn't find the endzone, even once! That's not progress. If he would have led at least one TD drive in that final game (against guys who are gonna be in the employment line soon,) I might have a different outlook, but he didn't. He couldn't even score against non-NFL talent.

(08-31-2019, 10:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 10:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don’t believe you can say that with certainty. Minshew’s progress was obvious during the preseason, and that was working with a squad who will mostly be out on the street today. Given time, I think he’ll be a sound backup.

To who? I kept hearing about this progress, but when I watched him, I saw none and he still couldn't find the endzone, even once! That's not progress. If he would have led at least one TD drive in that final game (against guys who are gonna be in the employment line soon,) I might have a different outlook, but he didn't. He couldn't even score against non-NFL talent.

You're all wrapped around the axle about a TD drive while seemingly dismissing the failed efforts of those who were there to help him. Apparently I'm not the only one who saw his progress because you say you kept hearing about it. No one can make you see what you don't want to see. We'll just have to leave it there.

(08-31-2019, 10:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That doesn't have to be the case though, if you have a decent backup. All you need is a guy who at least gives you a chance to win. No one is saying we should go out and get another Tom Brady or even another Nick Foles. That's unrealistic. We just want to have enough depth at QB, where if you have to use the backup he gives you a 50-50 shot to win the game if everything else clicks. Minshew can't even find the endzone.

I agree with you that Minshew is not ready to be a quality backup in the league. Guys like Chad Henne are, and do a fair job when asked to, but ultimately, lose games.

Teams HAVE to try and develop new talent, which is what most teams are trying when they draft QBs like Brady and Foles, who were not supposed to be great, and came to their respective teams when each had a capable starter.

You didn't see the improvement in Minshew from game to game, but as HB said, a lot of us did.  I did.  I honestly hope we acquire a decent vet as a backup and roll with 3 QBs like we used to when we were pretty good.  Guess we'll know more on Tuesday, as there will be a few looking for a job.

The Chargers are releasing Cardale Jones. He played very well this preseason and is starting to look like he's putting it together. He's one guy I'd keep an eye on.

I hope that we don't regret releasing McGough. Minshew isn't the answer.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2019, 02:18 PM by Mowerguy.)

Looks like the pats released Hoyer.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1167856553128599552
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

That kid from the Vikings is getting released too...
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

I want Kizer from Green Bay.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2019, 04:23 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I get on the phone to Hoyer, Lauletta and Sloter right away and make an immediate deal with one of them.

(08-31-2019, 06:20 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 10:17 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Minshew has seen the field for 30 series this preseason and looked like hot garbage in every one of them. He produced a whopping 2 field goals in 30 series...

He is nothing but a product of a system, which myself and many other people have said from the start. The QB position (especially the backup) is still going to be a high priority going into next draft/off season.

It might be a draft issue next year, but this also might be a system that he does well in once they actually start using it (if he ever takes a snap in it this season). We dont know yet and all the knee jerking is going to put you guys in the hospital.

Yea he could do well in our system... If it involves having 70% of his passes being thrown behind the line of scrimmage, like it did last year at WSU.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2019, 01:53 AM by icey14.)

Apparently he was supposed to catch his own passes too.  I saw one slant in last game dropped. He catches it and it's a 45 yard touchdown. But nope it's the QB fault he dropped it.

None of you are making any sense. We didn't lose cause of bad qb play we list cause of the nobodys playing around him.

Out of the 30+ dressed these 4 games. Are still on a roster?  3-4 maybe?   That tells you right there everything you need to know.

(09-01-2019, 01:52 AM)icey14 Wrote: Apparently he was supposed to catch his own passes too.  I saw one slant in last game dropped. He catches it and it's a 45 yard touchdown. But nope it's the QB fault he dropped it.

None of you are making any sense. We didn't lose cause of bad qb play we list cause of the nobodys playing around him.

Out of the 30+ dressed these 4 games. Are still on a roster?  3-4 maybe?   That tells you right there everything you need to know.

That doesn't wash. He was playing against guys equally as bad.

(09-01-2019, 02:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 01:52 AM)icey14 Wrote: Apparently he was supposed to catch his own passes too.  I saw one slant in last game dropped. He catches it and it's a 45 yard touchdown. But nope it's the QB fault he dropped it.

That doesn't wash. He was playing against guys equally as bad.

So he was supposed to catch his own passes then. High quality take.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-01-2019, 08:49 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 02:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That doesn't wash. He was playing against guys equally as bad.

So he was supposed to catch his own passes then. High quality take.

He was playing with and against, a bunch of guys who are gonna be trying out for the XFL very soon. They all had equal ground and besides, McGough came in and was able to get a TD in a very short time with the same, exact players. Minshew had almost the entire game and couldn't get it done.

(09-01-2019, 09:12 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 08:49 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: So he was supposed to catch his own passes then. High quality take.

He was playing with and against, a bunch of guys who are gonna be trying out for the XFL very soon. They all had equal ground and besides, McGough came in and was able to get a TD in a very short time with the same, exact players. Minshew had almost the entire game and couldn't get it done.

C'mon man, McGough ran for his TDs, that doesn't impress anyone.

(09-01-2019, 02:15 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 09:12 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He was playing with and against, a bunch of guys who are gonna be trying out for the XFL very soon. They all had equal ground and besides, McGough came in and was able to get a TD in a very short time with the same, exact players. Minshew had almost the entire game and couldn't get it done.

C'mon man, McGough ran for his TDs, that doesn't impress anyone. You're going to pull a muscle with that reach. 

(09-01-2019, 02:15 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: C'mon man, McGough ran for his TDs, that doesn't impress anyone. You're going to pull a muscle with that reach. 

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-01-2019, 09:12 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He was playing with and against, a bunch of guys who are gonna be trying out for the XFL very soon. They all had equal ground and besides, McGough came in and was able to get a TD in a very short time with the same, exact players. Minshew had almost the entire game and couldn't get it done.

C'mon man, McGough ran for his TDs, that doesn't impress anyone.

(09-01-2019, 02:15 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: C'mon man, McGough ran for his TDs, that doesn't impress anyone. You're going to pull a muscle with that reach. 

It's better than not scoring at all.