Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It’s Caldwell always has been

Does anybody realize that's the best offense, maybe ever in the history of the NFL? And we probably would've hung around if Foles didn't go down. That td pass he threw was a thing of absolute beauty.

But yeah, it's all Caldwell and Marrone fault...

Its really getting hard to come around here.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-08-2019, 11:48 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: Does anybody realize that's the best offense, maybe ever in the history of the NFL? And we probably would've hung around if Foles didn't go down. That td pass he threw was a thing of absolute beauty.

So you believe the coaches have no fault, when it comes to undisciplined play which resulted in multiple key penalties? Not only that, but allowing DB's to constantly be beaten, because the are playing 5-7 yards off receivers? The points that were scored off of us, came directly from these two factors and that reflects on the coaching, whether you choose to believe it or not. If you think it is so hard to come around here, well, there is a solution.

(09-09-2019, 12:37 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 11:48 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: Does anybody realize that's the best offense, maybe ever in the history of the NFL? And we probably would've hung around if Foles didn't go down. That td pass he threw was a thing of absolute beauty.

So you believe the coaches have no fault, when it comes to undisciplined play which resulted in multiple key penalties? Not only that, but allowing DB's to constantly be beaten, because the are playing 5-7 yards off receivers? The points that were scored off of us, came directly from these two factors and that reflects on the coaching, whether you choose to believe it or not. If you think it is so hard to come around here, well, there is a solution.

People continue to be blind rats... All hail Marrone! All hail Caldwell!

The key for me in all of this is that the 1's hardly played in preseason and it showed, we started rusty particularly in the secondary and when Jack got himself ejected that just compounded the problems on defense.

Foles going down and out was gut wrenching, there should have been a penalty called there and on Watkins 3rd he should have been called for pushing off Ramsey.

On offense it showed the players who'd played more than a token snap in preseason as they were at the races.

Overall for me the failure yesterday lies with the decision by Doug not to play the starters more in preseason, I expect we'll see a lot better from the team next week now they've played and we need to come out this first six game stretch at least 3-3 imho to have any chance of making the play offs. It's not done yet, but we need that W next week.

(09-08-2019, 10:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 08:08 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Better RB?  Marlon Mack today: 25 for 174 and 1 TD with a 7.0 average.  I don't think Fournette's clearly better.

Better DB?  Really?  After last year's debacle that continued today, I wouldn't say that.  Our safeties are terribad and the corners are over-hyped. They got schooled all day long.

2017 the Colts had a rookie qb that didn't know their system and did not yet have all the pieces on the OL.  AND our defense was playing better in 2017 than ever and it has not returned to that form.

Ballard has done a far better job of finding talent and assembling a team in the last three years.  Stack up the drafts and the free agent signings in those three years.

I know it's an inconvenient comparison with a hated divisional rival.  But it is what it is.

Yes the DBS are better.  They got schooled today, but held the same team to their lowest passing game output last season.  Our defense has been a top five defense statistically the last three seasons due in large part to that secondary.  There are two Pro Bowlers in the secondary=one of whom made 1st team All Pro.  None of the Colts DBs can make that claim.  That secondary shut out the Colts last year, and held them to 10 points or less in three of the last four games.  You still haven't explained those results if Ballard is better.

As for your explanation as to why Ballard has a 1-3 record against Coldwell, Brisset was NOT a rookie QB when he came to the Colts.  Brissett was in his second year when he came to the Colts.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...isJa00.htm

Furthermore, why didn't Ballard make the trade sooner so he would know the system sooner?  Presumably, Brissett knew the system later in the year when shut down by the Jaguars again.  What about Luck?  Did :uck NOT know the system when they were shut out last year?

Free agent signings?

Caldwell 2017:  Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye, Barry Church
Ballard:  John Hankins, John Simon, Barkevious mingo, Jabaal Sheard, Al Woods, Margus Hunt, Kamar Aiken.

No combination of their guys beats those Caldwell's three.

Caldwell 2018:  
  • Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE.
  • Niles Paul, TE.
  • Don Carey, ST.
  • D.J. Hayden, CB.
  • Donte Moncrief, WR.
  • Andrew Norwell, G.
Ballard 2018:  
  • Matt Slauson, OL.
  • Ryan Grant, WR.
  • Eric Ebron, TE.
  • Denico Autry, DE.

Both teams got two starters out of the 2018 class.  You could give the edge to Ballard because of Ebron, but he did nothing today 1-8 yards)

Caldwell led Jaguars:  10-6, AFC South Champions, 2-0 against the Colts; advanced to AFC Championship game.
Ballard led Colts:  4-12, last place in AFC South; 0-2 vs Jaguars.

Caldwell led Jaguars: 5-11, last place in the AFC South, 1-1 against the Colts
Ballard led Colts:  10-6, 2nd place in the AFC South, 1-1 against Jaguars; advanced to divisional round of playoffs.

Both teams 0-1

Totals: 

Caldwell 15-18, one divisional championship, one AFCCG appearance, 3-1 vs. the Colts
Ballard: 14-19, no divisional championships, no AFCCG appearances, 1-3 vs. the Jaguars

You have me on the 2017 FAs.  I forgot those three were 2017, not 2016.

As for the DBs, for all the hype and the stats this is the 2nd year in a row where they have games that they look like the Lions' defense.  Immature and over-hyped.  Inconsistent.  And cost us the game.

So even with your research as opposed to my memory and your stating the case in the way that sheds best light on us, Ballard has built a better roster in 3 seasons than Caldwell has in 7.

The best thing about this team is the D-line.  As good as exists in the NFL.  The back 7? Oooph.  Jack, Ramsey, and Bouye have talent. But everyone sees the lack of maturity, discipline, and commitment to preparation.  Allen and Williams are exciting rookies.  And I suppose they count Allen as a lineman anyway.  The defensive roster past the line isn't great.  AND it screams lack of effective coaching.

The offense shows hope at the skill positions.  Rookie QB is better than we had any right to expect.  He's going to be a good backup.  WRs are showing life!  RB stable is empty behind Leonard.  And the O-line is STILL a train wreck.  As I've said before, Caldwell needs to go to school on how Belichick scouts, develops, and coaches an O-line.  Pats manage to keep Brady clean just about every year.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(09-09-2019, 06:15 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 10:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Yes the DBS are better.  They got schooled today, but held the same team to their lowest passing game output last season.  Our defense has been a top five defense statistically the last three seasons due in large part to that secondary.  There are two Pro Bowlers in the secondary=one of whom made 1st team All Pro.  None of the Colts DBs can make that claim.  That secondary shut out the Colts last year, and held them to 10 points or less in three of the last four games.  You still haven't explained those results if Ballard is better.

As for your explanation as to why Ballard has a 1-3 record against Coldwell, Brisset was NOT a rookie QB when he came to the Colts.  Brissett was in his second year when he came to the Colts.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/p...isJa00.htm

Furthermore, why didn't Ballard make the trade sooner so he would know the system sooner?  Presumably, Brissett knew the system later in the year when shut down by the Jaguars again.  What about Luck?  Did :uck NOT know the system when they were shut out last year?

Free agent signings?

Caldwell 2017:  Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye, Barry Church
Ballard:  John Hankins, John Simon, Barkevious mingo, Jabaal Sheard, Al Woods, Margus Hunt, Kamar Aiken.

No combination of their guys beats those Caldwell's three.

Caldwell 2018:  
  • Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE.
  • Niles Paul, TE.
  • Don Carey, ST.
  • D.J. Hayden, CB.
  • Donte Moncrief, WR.
  • Andrew Norwell, G.
Ballard 2018:  
  • Matt Slauson, OL.
  • Ryan Grant, WR.
  • Eric Ebron, TE.
  • Denico Autry, DE.

Both teams got two starters out of the 2018 class.  You could give the edge to Ballard because of Ebron, but he did nothing today 1-8 yards)

Caldwell led Jaguars:  10-6, AFC South Champions, 2-0 against the Colts; advanced to AFC Championship game.
Ballard led Colts:  4-12, last place in AFC South; 0-2 vs Jaguars.

Caldwell led Jaguars: 5-11, last place in the AFC South, 1-1 against the Colts
Ballard led Colts:  10-6, 2nd place in the AFC South, 1-1 against Jaguars; advanced to divisional round of playoffs.

Both teams 0-1

Totals: 

Caldwell 15-18, one divisional championship, one AFCCG appearance, 3-1 vs. the Colts
Ballard: 14-19, no divisional championships, no AFCCG appearances, 1-3 vs. the Jaguars

You have me on the 2017 FAs.  I forgot those three were 2017, not 2016.

As for the DBs, for all the hype and the stats this is the 2nd year in a row where they have games that they look like the Lions' defense.  Immature and over-hyped.  Inconsistent.  And cost us the game.

So even with your research as opposed to my memory and your stating the case in the way that sheds best light on us, Ballard has built a better roster in 3 seasons than Caldwell has in 7.

The best thing about this team is the D-line.  As good as exists in the NFL.  The back 7? Oooph.  Jack, Ramsey, and Bouye have talent. But everyone sees the lack of maturity, discipline, and commitment to preparation.  Allen and Williams are exciting rookies.  And I suppose they count Allen as a lineman anyway.  The defensive roster past the line isn't great.  AND it screams lack of effective coaching.

The offense shows hope at the skill positions.  Rookie QB is better than we had any right to expect.  He's going to be a good backup.  WRs are showing life!  RB stable is empty behind Leonard.  And the O-line is STILL a train wreck.  As I've said before, Caldwell needs to go to school on how Belichick scouts, develops, and coaches an O-line.  Pats manage to keep Brady clean just about every year.

In regards to the bolded, the former is Caldwell's responsibility. The latter - I'm not sure how you lay that as his feet.

It's not the players, it's the whole mentality of the organization. These players wish they were on better teams with better organizations and it's showing. Fowler is playing better and isn't mouthing off on his new team as far as I know. Why is that? The Jaguars will never win anything close to a Super Bowl with this type of mentality. Kahn is passive to try and change the culture of this organization. He came in not knowing enough about football to defer to others and has built a paper tiger. We are going nowhere until we get a QBotF that the majority of scouts at least agree is worth a first round pick. Bortles wasn't even close to being rated that high and look where that got us? Limbo. We'll probably see the Bears players start acting out because Trubisky is absolute trash....oh wait we won't because the Bears are at least run competently. Only us.Anyway I'm done ranting. This is how I feel, which 0% of you care about. Maybe when I'm 50 we'll win a Super Bowl. Maybe.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

Some of you are trippin.

Campbell, Allen, Dareus, Yan, Jack, Ramsey, Bouye, Linder, Norwell, Fournette, Westbrook, Foles...... Did you guys watch this team from 2011 on? This team had a serious talent issue forever and there isn't a Dline in the league I would take over the Jags. The issue with yesterday is the fact the Jags started the season against the SB favorites and a coach who has his offense ALWAYS prepared for week 1.

Caldwell isn't perfect by any means but to act like this team doesn't have talent is just plain wrong.

(09-09-2019, 01:41 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 12:37 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: So you believe the coaches have no fault, when it comes to undisciplined play which resulted in multiple key penalties? Not only that, but allowing DB's to constantly be beaten, because the are playing 5-7 yards off receivers? The points that were scored off of us, came directly from these two factors and that reflects on the coaching, whether you choose to believe it or not. If you think it is so hard to come around here, well, there is a solution.

People continue to be blind rats... All hail Marrone! All hail Caldwell!

Hey, real nice twisting of something he didn't say.

And nice going out on a limb and offering solutions. Thanks for taking time out from your scouting duties.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(09-09-2019, 02:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Some of you are trippin.

Campbell, Allen, Dareus, Yan, Jack, Ramsey, Bouye, Linder, Norwell, Fournette, Westbrook, Foles...... Did you guys watch this team from 2011 on? This team had a serious talent issue forever and there isn't a Dline in the league I would take over the Jags. The issue with yesterday is the fact the Jags started the season against the SB favorites and a coach who has his offense ALWAYS prepared for week 1.

Caldwell isn't perfect by any means but to act like this team doesn't have talent is just plain wrong.

This team has tons of first line talent. Depth is a problem. I blame the coaches. They have no idea what to do with the immense talent that they have on the field.

(09-09-2019, 02:29 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: It's not the players, it's the whole mentality of the organization. These players wish they were on better teams with better organizations and it's showing. Fowler is playing better and isn't mouthing off on his new team as far as I know. Why is that? The Jaguars will never win anything close to a Super Bowl with this type of mentality. Kahn is passive to try and change the culture of this organization. He came in not knowing enough about football to defer to others and has built a paper tiger. We are going nowhere until we get a QBotF that the majority of scouts at least agree is worth a first round pick. Bortles wasn't even close to being rated that high and look where that got us? Limbo. We'll probably see the Bears players start acting out because Trubisky is absolute trash....oh wait we won't because the Bears are at least run competently. Only us.Anyway I'm done ranting. This is how I feel, which 0% of you care about. Maybe when I'm 50 we'll win a Super Bowl. Maybe.

Thanks Dr. Phil.

Oh god - you want an owner who thinks he knows football. That's always shown itself to be the pathway to success.

And I love how people throw around the word trash regarding players who've made it to the NFL.

Jeez - it was one game.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

yall just now figuring this out?

(09-09-2019, 02:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Some of you are trippin.

Dude the topic creator literally thinks Gene Smith was a good GM LOL. That says everything lol.

And anybody else who's talking about firing people after LITERALLY the 1st game (and especially against that team) of the season are idiots. Plain and simple.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2019, 08:06 PM by JackCity.)

The bar is so low for Jaguars fans people think this front office is worth keeping

(09-09-2019, 08:06 PM)JackCity Wrote: The bar is so low for Jaguars fans people think this front office is worth keeping

Imaging being the type of person whining and crying about firing people after literally the 1st game of the season... I feel sorry for those type of people.

(09-09-2019, 01:24 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: In regards to the bolded, the former is Caldwell's responsibility. The latter - I'm not sure how you lay that as his feet.

Because you have to scout the person, not just be dazzled by the talent.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(09-09-2019, 03:11 PM)Adam2012 Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 02:29 PM)Setsuna00 Wrote: It's not the players, it's the whole mentality of the organization. These players wish they were on better teams with better organizations and it's showing. Fowler is playing better and isn't mouthing off on his new team as far as I know. Why is that? The Jaguars will never win anything close to a Super Bowl with this type of mentality. Kahn is passive to try and change the culture of this organization. He came in not knowing enough about football to defer to others and has built a paper tiger. We are going nowhere until we get a QBotF that the majority of scouts at least agree is worth a first round pick. Bortles wasn't even close to being rated that high and look where that got us? Limbo. We'll probably see the Bears players start acting out because Trubisky is absolute trash....oh wait we won't because the Bears are at least run competently. Only us.Anyway I'm done ranting. This is how I feel, which 0% of you care about. Maybe when I'm 50 we'll win a Super Bowl. Maybe.

Thanks Dr. Phil.

Oh god - you want an owner who thinks he knows football. That's always shown itself to be the pathway to success.

And I love how people throw around the word trash regarding players who've made it to the NFL.

Jeez - it was one game.
Where did I say I wanted an owner who knows football? Show me WHERE I SAID THAT. You can't. You are putting words in my mouth to make you seem intelligent and you are doing the opposite. 

(09-09-2019, 04:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: yall just now figuring this out?
Laughing Laughing Laughing You and me both brother.
(09-09-2019, 08:06 PM)JackCity Wrote: The bar is so low for Jaguars fans people think this front office is worth keeping
No truer post was posted in this thread.
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(09-09-2019, 08:29 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

Imaging being the type of person whining and crying about firing people after literally the 1st game of the season... I feel sorry for those type of people.

I didn't say anything about firing them now because of a week 1 loss lol

I've long been a anti-Jags front office, nothings that happened has changed that.

(09-09-2019, 08:48 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(09-09-2019, 08:29 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Imaging being the type of person whining and crying about firing people after literally the 1st game of the season... I feel sorry for those type of people.

I didn't say anything about firing them now because of a week 1 loss lol

I've long been a anti-Jags front office, nothings that happened has changed that.

I know, I didn't say you did bro. I was talking about everybody else whining about it.

I'm not a big fan of this front office either. I like Caldwell more than most around here, but they're all tied at the hip.

I just can't believe people are already having hissy fits and want heads to roll after the very 1st game of the year... It's pathetic. At least give it 4-8 weeks to see what this team actually is.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2019, 09:22 PM by rpr52121.)

The most important thing for a Front Office is bringing in a good coaching staff, which this franchise has not had in recent times. Mularkey and Gus were huge disappointments. Marrone has been average at best (2017 and 2018 average out) but could end up really bad as well if this season unravels.

I cannot remember the last Jags position coach or coordinator that left for promotion with a different team. A few had post-Jax success but only after the Jags let them fired them.

No matter how well you draft, scout, etc. You will not win consistently without good to great game plans and player development. Salary cap means you cannot have stars at every position, and the NFL is too physical to avoid some key injuries every year.

Jags are not the worst FO, but they are also not going to create a perennial contender with this group. At some point, Kahn has to realize that cut bait.