Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Where are Lamar Jackson haters now?

Wait. Joe Burrow is 23?!

So he’s older than Lamar? Must be nice being 2-3 years older than all the guys you’re playing against.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-17-2020, 08:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wait. Joe Burrow is 23?!

So he’s older than Lamar?  Must be nice being 2-3 years older than all the guys you’re playing against.

He redshirted his freshman season, then sat for two and played for two.

We're just so used to these young guys leaving school early and a lot of these collegiate "running" QBs getting their chances in their freshman or sophomore seasons.

If you're saying that Burrow had an advantage at LSU playing against guys a couple years younger than him on opposing teams, that is grasping at straws for reasoning as to why he was so good.
However, coming into the league at 23 instead of 20-21 will probably do him some good. More mature, more skilled, more educated.
He has seen quite a bit in his 5 years of college. I imagine it'll help him adjust easier than most guys who actually come out too early after being successful early in college.

(01-18-2020, 01:07 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 08:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wait. Joe Burrow is 23?!

So he’s older than Lamar?  Must be nice being 2-3 years older than all the guys you’re playing against.

He redshirted his freshman season, then sat for two and played for two.

We're just so used to these young guys leaving school early and a lot of these collegiate "running" QBs getting their chances in their freshman or sophomore seasons.

If you're saying that Burrow had an advantage at LSU playing against guys a couple years younger than him on opposing teams, that is grasping at straws for reasoning as to why he was so good.
However, coming into the league at 23 instead of 20-21 will probably do him some good. More mature, more skilled, more educated.
He has seen quite a bit in his 5 years of college. I imagine it'll help him adjust easier than most guys who actually come out too early after being successful early in college.
My 23 year old self could kick my 19/20 year old self with ease.

It’s not a huge advantage but it’s an advantage.

(01-18-2020, 04:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 01:07 PM)Kane Wrote: He redshirted his freshman season, then sat for two and played for two.

Then how do rookie QBs ever have any success? Considering the majority of their opponents stand to be older than them?

C'mon man lol

(01-20-2020, 01:42 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 04:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: My 23 year old self could kick my 19/20 year old self with ease.

Then how do rookie QBs ever have any success? Considering the majority of their opponents stand to be older than them?

C'mon man lol
Dude. Only some rookie QBs have success while most fail.

Why do almost all rookie TEs struggle? Rookie OLine? Why isn’t the all-pro teams stacked with rookies?

Being older gives you an advantage in most aspects. You become stronger, faster and smarter. 

Being older gave Burrow an advantage. It’s not a massive one but it is one. Why wasn’t he lighting it up last year or the year before?

(01-20-2020, 01:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 01:42 PM)Kane Wrote: Then how do rookie QBs ever have any success? Considering the majority of their opponents stand to be older than them?

C'mon man lol

Why do almost all rookie TEs struggle? Rookie OLine? Why isn’t the all-pro teams stacked with rookies?

Being older gives you an advantage in most aspects. You become stronger, faster and smarter. 

Being older gave Burrow an advantage. It’s not a massive one but it is one. Why wasn’t he lighting it up last year or the year before?

I agree that through age you gain more experience - however, you still need talent to perform. Experience allows you to recognize certain looks/packages and decipher where the ball needs to go.

For example, look at Brandon Weeden. The guy was drafted at 28 years old and quickly fizzled out of the league.

Burrow was basically a coach's decision to be a backup in favor of other QBs like Kane mentioned in the previous post.

(01-18-2020, 04:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 01:07 PM)Kane Wrote: He redshirted his freshman season, then sat for two and played for two.

@Found the late bloomer@

Laughing

(01-20-2020, 02:44 PM)enigma Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 01:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Dude. Only some rookie QBs have success while most fail.

I agree that through age you gain more experience - however, you still need talent to perform. Experience allows you to recognize certain looks/packages and decipher where the ball needs to go.

For example, look at Brandon Weeden. The guy was drafted at 28 years old and quickly fizzled out of the league.

Burrow was basically a coach's decision to be a backup in favor of other QBs like Kane mentioned in the previous post.
And that's because he looked so much better against 19 year old kids than he did against guys his own age.

(01-20-2020, 01:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 01:42 PM)Kane Wrote: Then how do rookie QBs ever have any success? Considering the majority of their opponents stand to be older than them?

C'mon man lol

Well I'm not sure how you define success because a lot of them fail being on bad teams.
Jones and Murray both found some success this year (and they are on bad teams)
Mayfield was pretty good as a rookie.
Lamar Jackson, the guy getting so much love in this thread is younger than Burrow and had tons of success right? A kid surrounded by men all over the field, juking em out their shoes.
You're talking about 1 year or so being the difference in being all-pro? That stuff comes with many years, usually. That's why it isn't stacked with 2nd year players either.
Yeah being older matters when its quite a few years. 1 year or 2 doesn't matter as much as the weight you're trying to put on it (or maybe back peddling with a bit now saying "not a massive one")
Burrow was good because he was good, not because he was 23 and guys on Clemson's defense are 19-21
The difference from 22 year old Burrow and 23 year old Burrow was coaching and scheme. Not some magic that happened in a year and made him bigger, stronger, faster, and better lol

(01-21-2020, 11:12 AM)Kane Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 01:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Dude. Only some rookie QBs have success while most fail.

Well I'm not sure how you define success because a lot of them fail being on bad teams.
Lamar Jackson, the guy getting so much love in this thread is younger than Burrow and had tons of success right? A kid surrounded by men all over the field, juking em out their shoes.
You're talking about 1 year or so being the difference in being all-pro? That stuff comes with many years, usually. That's why it isn't stacked with 2nd year players either.
Yeah being older matters when its quite a few years. 1 year or 2 doesn't matter as much as the weight you're trying to put on it (or maybe back peddling with a bit now saying "not a massive one")
Burrow was good because he was good, not because he was 23 and guys on Clemson's defense are 19-21
The difference from 22 year old Burrow and 23 year old Burrow was coaching and scheme. Not some magic that happened in a year and made him bigger, stronger, faster, and better lol
Let me ask you this. If you took a team of 23 year old division 1 athletes and had them play in college, how would that turn out? 

I'm not saying Burrows age is the end all be all but it absolutely played a small part. He was able to see things for 5 years. 5 years of coverages. And if the difference for Burrow was coaching and scheme, should he really be the #1 pick?

I'm just trying to play both sides here instead of just labeling this dude the next great thing.

(01-21-2020, 11:18 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 11:12 AM)Kane Wrote: Well I'm not sure how you define success because a lot of them fail being on bad teams.
Let me ask you this. If you took a team of 23 year old division 1 athletes and had them play in college, how would that turn out? 

I'm not saying Burrows age is the end all be all but it absolutely played a small part. He was able to see things for 5 years. 5 years of coverages. And if the difference for Burrow was coaching and scheme, should he really be the #1 pick?

I'm just trying to play both sides here instead of just labeling this dude the next great thing.

I don't know if he absolutely should be the #1 pick. That ain't my job and my job ain't on the line if I'm wrong lol.
Out of all the QBs this year I believe he should be the first QB taken. If Tua was healthier, I'd probably lean toward Tua though. But being good in the NFL depends on the whole team, not just the QB. Roster, scheme, coaching, everything.

I agree having 5 years in college helped him. I've always liked QBs that stayed in school for 4 years more than the 2 year guys . Maturity and learning before hitting the NFL I think goes a long way. (4+ year guys with 2+ years of starting tend to play out better than 3 year guys with 1-2 year of starting, imo)
I just don't predicate Joe's success in college to him being older and therefore a better athlete. I believe his ability probably has gotten better with age, everyone's should. I just don't think it's as simple as "grown man playing against boys" at the collegiate level. I mean.. there are 19 year olds and 22 year olds scattered all over those college rosters. But in his 4th year he was older than most and seen a lot and was just OK. What magic happened between year 22 and 23?
That's why I'm like "yeah his age matters but not much" It was much more about the staff changing their scheme around him and the weapons they had.

To be clear... I don't think Burrow is the next great thing. Or a can't miss guaranteed 15 year franchise guy. I just think he's the best QB prospect in this draft, all things considered.
And if I'm the Bengals, with Dalton and Finley as my QBs, I'm taking Burrow and he's my day 1 starter. And I try to put a good OL in front of him (they have a solid RB in Mixon) and put some speed at WR and try to replicate a lot of what he did in college, at least in his first year.

(01-21-2020, 11:18 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-21-2020, 11:12 AM)Kane Wrote: Well I'm not sure how you define success because a lot of them fail being on bad teams.

You are acting like the experience is a bad thing lol.  Like Kane said, I'd rather my QB deafted have 4 years college experience.   Who is the last QB to win a SB that didnt have 4 years college experience?

Still here, we should combine this with the Yawn thread. 2 of the most overrated players in the league and they are on the same team now