Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cognitive dissonance and Expectations

(09-10-2019, 09:51 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’ve already let my feelings be known on this subject. Caldwell should be nervous, but not fired. Marrone, on the other hand, is doing a poor job of marshaling the talent he has been given. Some folks on here are saying that our D will gel and other issues should be cleaned up after the first game. No, that’s not how it works in the highest tier. This is the big leagues. These issues should have been worked out long before we hit the field. The fact that some of our players believe they can act like petulant children indicates to me that Marrone is not the disciplinarian he needs to be. If he hasn’t figured that out by now, he never will. Furthermore, any attempts by him to instill discipline will be accepted as thin and insincere.

Is there a chance Marrone can redeem himself? Only if he doubles down on discipline and remains unblinking. Using excuses, such as, ‘well, we don’t know what was said out there’ doesn’t cut it and is a sorry attempt at diversion from his own failure. On that same token, he should also inform Wash to pull his head out of his backside or he’ll be looking for another job by bye week.

I agree with this as well.

(First of all, sorry if I am stating some things that have already been discussed here, as I did not read the whole thread yet)

We have to recognize the distinct difference between 1) raw physical talent and 2) effective production.  On paper, we're very talented but we are not well-coached.  This is a large reason why we get results like last Sunday and last year, for that matter.  Defensive breakdowns, players out of position, needless penalties, and the like have happened so often that they are to be expected now.  

Coaching has nothing to do with being "defensive-minded", "offensive-minded", a "players' coach", a "disciplinarian coach" etc., but has everything to do with actually being good at coaching in general.  Simple but critical things like instilling attention to detail, maintaining the trust and respect of the players, getting the players to buy in to your philosophy, keeping motivation and focus at adequate levels and then actually being able to make good in-game coaching decisions on game day.  Sadly, we haven't had a good coach in a while...at least since JDR if you are going by the W/L column.

My first issue with Dave is that he has failed so far on his HC/QB picks, and then stubbornly sticks with his choices instead of admitting the mistake, cutting bait and moving on.  I'm not going to bash him for the Bortles pick, because I believe with better coaching Blake would have been an average-caliber starting QB and we would have been fine.  However, I was never comfortable with the Gus pick, and he was allowed to collect checks for far too long.  I really believe that he was only fired when he was so that he wouldn't accumulate 50 losses in four years.  A lot of our positional coaches during Dave's reign have sucked as well, and then eventually are scapegoated but after they leave we don't see any improvement in coaching.  Marrone and Wash do not appear to be effective at their jobs, so we can expect this cycle to continue.

My second issue with Dave is the lack of focus on offensive depth.  It seems like every year we are deep-sixed due to injuries to key players on offense.  Then when the replacements come in the learning curve is steeper than normal because of the lack of good positional coaching.

Bottom line is that under Dave as GM the Jags are 31-67.  At what point do the W/L results start to matter?  Is accountability ever going to be factor?
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The QBs Doug Marrone has been tasked to win games since making his NFL debut:

Bills:
EJ Manuel
Jeff Tuel
Thad Lewis
Kyle Orton

Jaguars:
Blake Bortles
Cody Kessler
Nick Foles
Gardner Minshew

As I said before, id say Doug is around bang average to slightly below average as an NFL coach but it's nigh on impossible to know because he's never been given a chance with those QBs..

The expected record with those combined QBs is a losing one.

Our system has always been crud. Vanilla 4-3 soft zone bend but don't break defense. We have the aggressive corners to play man and be physical but we don't do it. We just loaf around in zone and hope it's the right zone and hope our front 4 dominate. Garbage system with Todd Wash. The last guy left of the Bradley regime. Get him out of here.
No pain, no gain.

I think we need to acknowledge that since Coughlin was hired, Caldwell does not deserve full blame or credit for personnel or coaching. No matter the title, he operates as the assistant GM for players. Doug reports to Tom, not to Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]

(09-11-2019, 10:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Those are the reasons to trash his early performances here, IMO.

Umm, out of his entire first three drafts full of top 3 picks we have one good player. That's a valid reason to trash his early performance IMO.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!