Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Looking back at 9/11/01 on 9/11/19

I was looking on youtube for something and there was a video from CNN's live coverage of that day starting at 0950. It never occurred to me to look it up, live coverage of that day. We had one choice on Armed Forces Network in Germany and that was The Today Show and their coverage. I decided to watch the CNN coverage until a few minutes after the second tower was hit and the CNN folks wondered if there was communications issues between the planes and air traffic control. In my memory Matt and Katie immediately said "terrorist related" or "no accident," so I looked up NBC's live footage and it was as I remembered. 

It was tough to wait for the second tower to get hit because I knew it was coming. I could actually feel anxiety while watching it. Back in Germany in 2001 at about 1500hrs, 0900EST, AFN had just finished the broadcast of the Monday Night Football game when they switched to NBC's coverage and I initially thought they were talking about the trailer to a new movie until I realized I wasn't by the language Katie and Matt was using that had nothing to do with movies. Then I saw the second tower explode and I knew [BLEEP] was hitting the fan. 

As I sat here yesterday with all my thoughts and feelings of 9/11/01 and then seeing the footage of the towers burning and falling I remember how innocent we were as a country on that day prior to 0846hrs. And even so the rest of the day as we watched in horror the events that would change the landscape of this country forever and on many levels. This anniversary has been tough, and that was before watching the footage. I've been tearful and outraged about those I've lost in OIF/OEF, the absolute destruction of that day just overwhelmed me, the fact that so many service men and women have not only died, but so many more have been ravaged by multiple deployments (IMO because politicians were too much of a [BLEEP] to enact the draft but that's a whole other discussion), families destroyed by all that entails, etc. Yesterday was tough. And that was all before I watched any footage. Watching it kind of numbed the emotions. I guess because it took me back to then, as it was happening, and I didn't know of the carnage that would come later. 

I still have all the magazines I could get my hands on in Germany. Life, People, Newsweek, Entertainment Weekly, Stars and Stripes newspapers, etc., but it's not the same as seeing the actual footage. I look at the magazines on some anniversaries just to read the information we had at the time and think about everything we know now and everything that's happened in between. I'm usually sad or thoughtful on The Day but this is the first year I have felt such a real anger. I didn't know what to do with myself so I went out and raked pine straw up in my yard and burned it and let my anger burn with it. 

I don't know why I'm sharing this here other than I just needed to get it out of me. I think it was Drifter who said yesterday he was feeling angry too, but I think maybe he's just angry all the time. I don't know.... Now I've overwhelmed myself again so I'm going to let this stand as is and go cry. 

"Never Forget" aren't just words folks. Too many people have lost too much and too many have died for those to just be words we use once a year on the worse day in this country this century.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I remember everything from that day. I was driving to work, worked a 10 hour shift from 10am-9pm.

Was the slowest day I had ever had at work.Had friends in DC that we couldn't get through to.

Was sent to DC for work for about 8 months starting Jan 2002. Remember driving by the Pentagon and seeing the hole and the big flag.

I'm still convinced it was an inside job but, won't get into that here. That's more for the Political section.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(09-12-2019, 04:40 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote: I remember everything from that day. I was driving to work, worked a 10 hour shift from 10am-9pm.

Was the slowest day I had ever had at work.Had friends in DC that we couldn't get through to.

Was sent to DC for work for about 8 months starting Jan 2002. Remember driving by the Pentagon and seeing the hole and the big flag.

I'm still convinced it was an inside job but, won't get into that here. That's more for the Political section.

Yeah, let's try to avoid getting it moved.

We were getting ready to go on vacation that day. Mrs. hb told me a plane had hit the towers and speculated that it was an ATC error. Having been in ATC in the Navy I knew the chances of something like that were slim.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I think it's sad that a while generation now has turned 18 years old and doesn't know how we were before this happened. They don't know a United States before war that has lasted as long. They don't know a U.S. when the word terrorist was just a word in the dictionary. But is this history even being taught in schiols? I've read in several places that kids don't even know what 9/11 is about. They've "heard of it but don't really know what it is." I wonder if kids knew about Pearl Harbor 18 years after it happened.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2019, 11:19 PM by homebiscuit.)

I was on the USS John F. Kennedy getting ready to shove out to sea for 6 weeks. It was a very busy morning for me in preparation to get underway. I noticed people here and there gathered around TVs but I was too busy to see why. When we pulled out a couple of hours after the attack it was a different world and entirely evident as we left. Normally sailors go out on the weather decks or up on the flight deck to leisurely enjoy the view and the last sight of home, all while fishing and pleasure boats sailed alongside. This time a Coast Guard cutter was stationed athwart the St. Johns river to stop all traffic while helicopters flew overhead guard. All .50 cal mounts were manned, all CIWS mounts were armed and primed, no one was allowed on any outside decks, and all the hangar bay doors were closed. Not long after we hit the end of the channel the prop shafts began to vibrate the ship, which indicated they were pouring on the oil to get away from shore as quickly as possible. Without an air wing embarked we were pretty vulnerable. What a long, strange 6 weeks that was.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2019, 05:07 AM by The Real Marty.)

I was in New York about a month ago.  We visited the 9/11 memorial, the underground museum, and the Freedom Tower.   The whole complex is one of the best things I've ever seen.  The memorial is very peaceful and beautiful, the museum is very moving, and the Freedom Tower top floor observatory is fantastic.  It's a must-see if you ever go to New York.  The whole area has been rebuilt so beautifully.  It's really hard for me to describe what a wonderful place it is.

(09-13-2019, 05:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I was in New York about a month ago.  We visited the 9/11 memorial, the underground museum, and the Freedom Tower.   The whole complex is one of the best things I've ever seen.  The memorial is very peaceful and beautiful, the museum is very moving, and the Freedom Tower top floor observatory is fantastic.  It's a must-see if you ever go to New York.  The whole area has been rebuilt so beautifully.  It's really hard for me to describe what a wonderful place it is.

I actually watched a video someone did of his tour of the tower footprints and what he was allowed to film of the museum. It was really well done from what he was able to show. I have wanted to go visit these places but life keeps getting in the way. 

When I go I want to find Fire Chaplain Mychal Judges name at the North tower footprint. The first time I watched the documentary the Naudet brothers were filming at a firehouse when 9/11 happened and they showed Judge being carried out it made a significant impact on me. I was not a Christian at the time so it wasn't because of that, but it was a very visceral reaction.

(09-13-2019, 10:41 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 05:01 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I was in New York about a month ago.  We visited the 9/11 memorial, the underground museum, and the Freedom Tower.   The whole complex is one of the best things I've ever seen.  The memorial is very peaceful and beautiful, the museum is very moving, and the Freedom Tower top floor observatory is fantastic.  It's a must-see if you ever go to New York.  The whole area has been rebuilt so beautifully.  It's really hard for me to describe what a wonderful place it is.

I actually watched a video someone did of his tour of the tower footprints and what he was allowed to film of the museum. It was really well done from what he was able to show. I have wanted to go visit these places but life keeps getting in the way. 

When I go I want to find Fire Chaplain Mychal Judges name at the North tower footprint. The first time I watched the documentary the Naudet brothers were filming at a firehouse when 9/11 happened and they showed Judge being carried out it made a significant impact on me. I was not a Christian at the time so it wasn't because of that, but it was a very visceral reaction.
Guliani[sic] was speaking about him on the radio the other day. Said he was the first confirmed death. Broke his heart.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

(09-14-2019, 06:35 PM)Hard_Eight Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 10:41 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I actually watched a video someone did of his tour of the tower footprints and what he was allowed to film of the museum. It was really well done from what he was able to show. I have wanted to go visit these places but life keeps getting in the way. 

Guliani[sic] was speaking about him on the radio the other day. Said he was the first confirmed death. Broke his heart.

+1