Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Turkey Invades Syria

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2019, 04:37 PM by mikesez.)

For over 100 years, the Kurds have been settled in parts of what is Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Iran.
The main part of Syria that was theirs is the northeast part that sticks out like a horn. They've had a guerilla army there for decades.
But ISIS came along, and they were strong along the Euphrates river up to the border with Turkey. This has historically been an Arab (not Kurd) area.
The Russians cooperated with the Syrian government army to take ISIS territory up to the west side of the Euphrates.
The Turks took a little bit of ISIS territory near where the river meets their border.
And we cooperated with the Kurds to take ISIS territory up to the east side of the Euphrates.
So the Kurdish armies today control a lot of land that never used to be theirs, closer to the river.
Now Turkey is saying they just want to claim a strip of territory along the entire Syria-Turkey border and resettle Syrian Arab refugees that are currently in Turkey there.
That sucks for the Kurds, but, so long as Turkey stops where they say they're going to stop, the Kurds will still control more of Syria than they did before the conflict started.
Time will tell if this is a simple migration/land swap or a genocide.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2019, 04:48 PM by Caldrac.)

(10-09-2019, 04:36 PM)mikesez Wrote: For over 100 years, the Kurds have been settled in parts of what is Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Iran.
The main part of Syria that was theirs is the northeast part that sticks out like a horn.  They've had a guerilla army there for decades.
But ISIS came along, and they were strong along the Euphrates river up to the border with Turkey. This has historically been an Arab (not Kurd) area.  
The Russians cooperated with the Syrian government army to take ISIS territory up to the west side of the Euphrates.
The Turks took a little bit of ISIS territory near where the river meets their border.
And we cooperated with the Kurds to take ISIS territory up to the east side of the Euphrates.
So the Kurdish armies today control a lot of land that never used to be theirs, closer to the river.
Now Turkey is saying they just want to claim a strip of territory along the entire Syria-Turkey border and resettle Syrian Arab refugees that are currently in Turkey there.
That sucks for the Kurds, but, so long as Turkey stops where they say they're going to stop, the Kurds will still control more of Syria than they did before the conflict started.
Time will tell if this is a simple migration/land swap or a genocide.

I think time has shown us time and time again that it's normally going to end up being a long, drawn out struggle that favors genocide. That area on the map will never heal itself. They're too stubborn in nature. They hold onto religion and past transgressions as a coping mechanism. 

It's impossible to fix that right now. It would probably take a mega-catastrophic / natural disaster within that region to turn everything upside down and force their hands together. It's that BAD over there.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-09-2019, 04:22 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 01:06 PM)rollerjag Wrote: We broke it, we own it.

But this "We broke it, we own it" mantra is pretty silly when it's really a matter of "A collective group of elites in various branches across the US and several other Nations broke it for financial gain, they own it."

Yeah, but so far RJ is the only one claiming ownership of the Syrian debacle.  I don't see any global banksters owning it.  Obama?  Nope.  John Kerry?  Nope.  Hllary?  Nope.  RJ?  Yep.

(10-09-2019, 07:18 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 04:22 PM)Caldrac Wrote: But this "We broke it, we own it" mantra is pretty silly when it's really a matter of "A collective group of elites in various branches across the US and several other Nations broke it for financial gain, they own it."

Yeah, but so far RJ is the only one claiming ownership of the Syrian debacle.  I don't see any global banksters owning it.  Obama?  Nope.  John Kerry?  Nope.  Hllary?  Nope.  RJ?  Yep.

This goes back to our flawed invasion of Iraq, which eventually created ISIS. The Kurds have been our loyal allies in fighting ISIS. We let them stick their necks out and have now left them there to get cut.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(10-09-2019, 02:42 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 01:10 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Keeping a bad promise is not a positive. This is a gift to Assad and Putin.

He also promised universal, cheap health care and a border wall. Still waiting on one, laughing at the other.

Hey...you left as little on your chin, there, sycophant.

You do understand the border wall is being built, right?

Before Trump was elected, 654 miles of the U.S./Mexican border were fenced, barricaded or walled. As of today, that has not increased. 60 miles of barricades have been repaired or replaced.

Mexico has not paid a single peso for any of it. 

Back on  topic, why does Trump accommodate Erdoğan so easily?
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Does anyone remember the debates? I do. There was never a good answer in syria!!!! Anyone claiming they have a magic wand is a liar. Anyone thinking the american people feigning outrage over this would have supported a ten years war for regime change are delusional.

We were supposed to be thrre for 30 days, weve been there for ten years.

Bigger question. Why the HELL are there prosoners?

(10-13-2019, 09:30 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 07:18 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Yeah, but so far RJ is the only one claiming ownership of the Syrian debacle.  I don't see any global banksters owning it.  Obama?  Nope.  John Kerry?  Nope.  Hllary?  Nope.  RJ?  Yep.

This goes back to our flawed invasion of Iraq, which eventually created ISIS. The Kurds have been our loyal allies in fighting ISIS. We let them stick their necks out and have now left them there to get cut.

Trump said one time that he could shoot someone in the middle of Times Square and his base would stay with him.  

What he has done to the Kurds is so shameful and despicable, selling them to their enemies, basically for nothing in return, he's basically stepped back and allowed a mass murder to occur.  The Kurds have been our boots on the ground in the war against ISIS.  They have taken thousands and thousands of casualties doing our dirty work for us.  And now Trump, without warning anyone, or even telling anyone in his own administration, has given the Turks permission to go into Syria and kill the Kurds.  There was no good reason for him to do this.  

This is one of the most shameful acts in American history.  Why would anyone ever ally themselves with us after this?  We can no longer be trusted to keep our word to our friends.  

Do you remember Braveheart, when Robert the Bruce promised William Wallace that he would bring his knights to the battle against the English?  And then when the battle started, and the English attacked, Robert the Bruce and his knights just turned and left the battlefield?  That's us.  We sold out our allies with no warning.  It's despicable.  There's no defense for it.

For the record I do not want to be engaged in Syria but I do not support abandoning the Kurds this way. We should've forced a Kurdistan when we had the opportunity after the Iraq war ended.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-13-2019, 11:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: For the record I do not want to be engaged in Syria but I do not support abandoning the Kurds this way. We should've forced a Kurdistan when we had the opportunity after the Iraq war ended.

100% agree.
A simple arms embargo against turkey, if we had started it 20 years ago, would have driven the turks to the negotiating table and helped create a viable Kurdistan by now.
Too much short-term money to be gained though. Landlocked people groups always get screwed over in the long term.

(10-13-2019, 11:31 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: For the record I do not want to be engaged in Syria but I do not support abandoning the Kurds this way. We should've forced a Kurdistan when we had the opportunity after the Iraq war ended.

The Kurds used the presence of our base as cover.  They sent rockets into Turkey, knowing return fire would put the Americans in danger.  But we can't abandon our bestest buddies the Kurds, according to some.

(10-14-2019, 02:15 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote:

The Kurds used the presence of our base as cover.  They sent rockets into Turkey, knowing return fire would put the Americans in danger.  But we can't abandon our bestest buddies the Kurds, according to some.

Lies.

The Kurds just made a deal with the Syrian Army. Guess they didn't need us after all.

For those playing 4D chess along with DJT, this is really about radical Islam, Turkey, NATO and Europe. Europe won't kick Turkey out of NATO, won't pay for defense, won't even take back their own citizens who joined ISIS. There's also the matter of 3.6 million "migrants" currently held in Turkey.

Trump cannot comprehend that all of this is playing into Poutin's hands.

The US supported the Kurds and Trump abandoned them.
And those of you who have supported Trump have yet to comprehend.

He has abandoned you.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."        --Plato

(10-14-2019, 02:54 PM)ferocious Wrote: Trump cannot comprehend that all of this is playing into Poutin's hands.  

He has abandoned you.

It's very easy to spot that the majority of the individuals here do not truly grasp the fundamentals of geopolitical warfare/strategies, let alone the repercussions associated with them.

But then again, that's asking too much out of them.

(10-14-2019, 03:08 PM)enigma Wrote:
(10-14-2019, 02:54 PM)ferocious Wrote: Trump cannot comprehend that all of this is playing into Poutin's hands.  

He has abandoned you.

It's very easy to spot that the majority of the individuals here do not truly grasp the fundamentals of geopolitical warfare/strategies, let alone the repercussions associated with them.

But then again, that's asking too much out of them.

Well, yes, we agree that you don't understand what's going on.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Geopolitical strategies = meddling where we weren't invited and don't belong. Did we have Assad's permission to build bases in Syria and arm foreign fighters against him? You people are crying that Trump is ruining your illegal war!

(10-14-2019, 05:40 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Geopolitical strategies = meddling where we weren't invited and don't belong.  Did we have Assad's permission to build bases in Syria and arm foreign fighters against him?  You people are crying that Trump is ruining your illegal war!

Exactly.

Idiots like Trump and others come and go like a fart in the wind. War and a de-stabilized Middle East = $$$$$$.

MIC will keep churning as usual.

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2019, 06:20 PM by ferocious.)

All Trump sees is that if he lets Turkish President Erdogan enter Syria, Erdogan and Aydın Doğan, the owner of Trump Towers Istanbul, will let him keep his name on the buildings. They were going to take the placard down. When candidate Trump stated that he was going to "temporarily bar Muslims from specific countries from entering the U.S,"  this angered Doğan, and in turn President Erdogan, who stated:

"Trump has no tolerance for Muslims living in the US. And on top of that they used a brand in Istanbul with his name. The ones who put that brand on their building should immediately remove it."

So Trump gave his okay to stand by and do nothing while Turkey entered Syria.

With.   Russian.   Tanks.

Military Industrial Complex, Indeed.
The Russian MIC.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."        --Plato

He has abandoned you.

Erdogan has the time Turner?  Gosh...  this is confusing.

(10-14-2019, 09:15 PM)jj82284 Wrote:

He has abandoned you.

Erdogan has the time Turner?  Gosh...  this is confusing.

You keep referring to a time turner.  What is that?