Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Turkey Invades Syria

(10-18-2019, 10:07 AM)Gabe Wrote: Do me a favor. RE-READ.

There's a fine line between reading and comprehension so don't just assume people didn't read your post(s) when they respond in an ignorant manner.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-22-2019, 02:27 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 10:07 AM)Gabe Wrote: Do me a favor. RE-READ.

There's a fine line between reading and comprehension so don't just assume people didn't read your post(s) when they respond in an ignorant manner.

Correct - that's an assumption on my part. I bolded, enlarged & underlined my point to aid in any potential comprehension, assumptions aside.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

Gabe, apparently it did not work.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."        --Plato

(10-23-2019, 09:35 AM)ferocious Wrote: Gabe, apparently it did not work.

It worked fine. We aren't the World's Police Department, it isn't our fault that they want to kill each other the minute we aren't willing to stop it and we are under no obligation to do so.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-23-2019, 09:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

It worked fine. We aren't the World's Police Department, it isn't our fault that they want to kill each other Turkey killed thousands of our allies, freeing ISIS prisoners in the process the minute we aren't willing to stop it and we are under no obligation to do so.
Fixed. 
As we're not the world's police department, shouldn't you be equally pissed off that we just sent troops to Saudi Arabia?

(10-23-2019, 09:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

It worked fine. We aren't the World's Police Department, it isn't our fault that they want to kill each other the minute we aren't willing to stop it and we are under no obligation to do so.

You don't think we have at least a moral obligation, to our allies in the fight against ISIS, to at least give them a little warning before we walk away and tell their enemies to go ahead and attack?  We should just let innocent people die because "we are under no obligation?"  When all we had to do was nothing?  Just stay where we were?  How about at least telling them, "in a couple of months we are going to be leaving.  Watch out for the Turks."  Or should we just up and walk out all of a sudden, when our allies, who lost 10,000 soldiers in the fight against ISIS so we didn't have to, are facing attack from their enemies, elimination of all their hopes and dreams, shelling of their cities, killing of their women and children?  We just walk out because the dictator of Turkey asked Trump to get our soldiers out of the way so he could attack our allies?  Do you think there is any value to having credibility and the trust of other countries and people around the world?

(10-23-2019, 10:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 09:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It worked fine. We aren't the World's Police Department, it isn't our fault that they want to kill each other the minute we aren't willing to stop it and we are under no obligation to do so.

You don't think we have at least a moral obligation, to our allies in the fight against ISIS, to at least give them a little warning before we walk away and tell their enemies to go ahead and attack?  We should just let innocent people die because "we are under no obligation?"  When all we had to do was nothing?  Just stay where we were?  How about at least telling them, "in a couple of months we are going to be leaving.  Watch out for the Turks."  Or should we just up and walk out all of a sudden, when our allies, who lost 10,000 soldiers in the fight against ISIS so we didn't have to, are facing attack from their enemies, elimination of all their hopes and dreams, shelling of their cities, killing of their women and children?  We just walk out because the dictator of Turkey asked Trump to get our soldiers out of the way so he could attack our allies?  Do you think there is any value to having credibility and the trust of other countries and people around the world?

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]

I think you nailed it, Marty. Many do not feel that there is
"...any value to having credibility and the trust of other countries and people around the world."

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."        --Plato

(10-23-2019, 10:16 AM)ferocious Wrote: I think you nailed it, Marty. Many do not feel that there is
"...any value to having credibility and the trust of other countries and people around the world."

There is no value in it. Yea,  know, that sounds mean and therefore offends your sensibilities.

There is no value in staying in that broken region of the world. It's up to them to fix their problems and if their solution is wide scale genocide... let it happen.. it's not our responsibility. It's theirs.

We had our wide scale genocide already in the Native Americans... no one punished us for it.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 10:27 AM by ferocious.)

Sadly, it appears to our former allies, as though WE are a broken region of the world.

(10-23-2019, 09:53 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 09:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It worked fine. We aren't the World's Police Department, it isn't our fault that they want to kill each other Turkey killed thousands of our allies, freeing ISIS prisoners in the process the minute we aren't willing to stop it and we are under no obligation to do so.
Fixed. 
As we're not the world's police department, shouldn't you be equally pissed off that we just sent troops to Saudi Arabia?

Nope, Saudi Arabia is a global interest.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-23-2019, 11:23 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 09:53 AM)Gabe Wrote: Fixed. 

Nope, Saudi Arabia is a global interest.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, dude.

(10-23-2019, 10:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 09:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It worked fine. We aren't the World's Police Department, it isn't our fault that they want to kill each other the minute we aren't willing to stop it and we are under no obligation to do so.

Knowing that Turkey was going to attack no matter what we did, should we have stayed and entered into a shooting war with our NATO ally? And make no mistake, they are out ally by treaty.

(10-23-2019, 11:24 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 11:23 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Nope, Saudi Arabia is a global interest.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, dude.

So you're saying that they aren't? Whatever lets you blame America, dude.

(10-23-2019, 11:26 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 10:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You don't think we have at least a moral obligation, to our allies in the fight against ISIS, to at least give them a little warning before we walk away and tell their enemies to go ahead and attack?  We should just let innocent people die because "we are under no obligation?"  When all we had to do was nothing?  Just stay where we were?  How about at least telling them, "in a couple of months we are going to be leaving.  Watch out for the Turks."  Or should we just up and walk out all of a sudden, when our allies, who lost 10,000 soldiers in the fight against ISIS so we didn't have to, are facing attack from their enemies, elimination of all their hopes and dreams, shelling of their cities, killing of their women and children?  We just walk out because the dictator of Turkey asked Trump to get our soldiers out of the way so he could attack our allies?  Do you think there is any value to having credibility and the trust of other countries and people around the world?

Knowing that Turkey was going to attack no matter what we did, should we have stayed and entered into a shooting war with our NATO ally?

(10-23-2019, 11:24 AM)Gabe Wrote: Whatever helps you sleep at night, dude.

Can you point out where I said anything close to either of those things?

(10-23-2019, 11:27 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 11:26 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Knowing that Turkey was going to attack no matter what we did, should we have stayed and entered into a shooting war with our NATO ally?

Can you point out where I said anything close to either of those things?

You made a stupid comment about the Saudis, I answered you with fact and you scornfully discarded my response. So, uh, there.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 11:56 AM by Gabe.)

(10-23-2019, 11:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 11:27 AM)Gabe Wrote: Can you point out where I said anything close to either of those things?

You made a stupid comment about the Saudis, I answered you with fact and you scornfully discarded my response. So, uh, there.

More like responding to semantics. 

Fighting ISIS is a global issue. You called it policing. 

You and I agree, though, that the US shouldn't be the world's police department. However, global diplomacy requires a little more tact than what was used, especially when it comes to our allies.

(10-23-2019, 10:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Frankly I expect better from u.  The level of ignorance is beginning to border on embarrassing.  

What is the purpose of boots on the ground in this situation?  Strategic deterrence.  We were never going to nation build a Kurdistan.  If that strategic objective can be achieved I. The absence of our troops being present through a combination of a military alliance between Kurdish forces and greater Syrian ( which we HAVE BEEN ADVOCATING FOR for a long time) coupled with economic pressure through sanctions then it makes sense to withdraw.  

Moreover, our presence potentially served as a retardant to talks because it insulated both sides from the reality of conflict and allowed them to indulge in ideological as l fantasy as opposed to stark realities.  The Kurds realized it made sense to make a workable deal with syria and Turkey realized they weren't inclined to make a move against Assad's sovereign territory with Russia backing him.  

The result?  A defacto stalemate that precipitates stability through, wait for it, STRATEGIC DETERENCE.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 12:30 PM by ferocious.)

What was the purpose of turning our backs on the Kurds, and why are we looking out for Russia's interests instead of our own?
For all intents and purposes, it appears as though Trump's personal interests are more closely aligned with Russia that with the United States. So what happens in the future, when we are in need of allies in the region? Trump not only abandoned the Kurds, he also abandoned America's interests.

Be advised.
Russia is not our ally, Russia is not our friend.
We have created a vacuum in the region that is being filled by Russia even as we speak.

Is Trump simply a fool, or did he, by selling out, get something in return?
Either way, he has proven that he is not fit to remain as president for a second term.

(10-23-2019, 12:20 PM)ferocious Wrote: What was the purpose of turning our backs on the Kurds, and why are we looking out for Russia's interests instead of our own?
For all intents and purposes, it appears as though Trump's personal interests are more closely aligned with Russia that with the United States. So what happens in the future, when we are in need of allies in the region? Trump not only abandoned the Kurds, he also abandoned America's interests.

Be advised.
Russia is not our ally, Russia is not our friend.
We have created a vacuum in the region that is being filled by Russia even as we speak.

Is Trump simply a fool, or did he, by selling out, get something in return?
Either way, he has proven that he is not fit to remain as president for a second term.

#TDS
#HEADBURRIEDINSAND

(10-23-2019, 11:54 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 11:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You made a stupid comment about the Saudis, I answered you with fact and you scornfully discarded my response. So, uh, there.

More like responding to semantics. 

Fighting ISIS is a global issue. You called it policing. 

You and I agree, though, that the US shouldn't be the world's police department. However, global diplomacy requires a little more tact than what was used, especially when it comes to our allies.

Turkey and ISIS are not the same thing. Turkey is, in fact, our formal ally, while the Kurds have been a practical but not formal one. The policing reference is to the conflict between the Kurds, Syria, and Turkey over the small section of contested land currently occupied by the Kurds, something we should not be involved in at this time.