Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Turkey Invades Syria

jj, This site is the closest thing to social media I engage in.
I do not do snapbook or instaface.
This is not a syndrome or a phobia. I simply want to know, please help me understand.

Is Trump simply a fool, or did he, by selling out, get something in return?

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."        --Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-23-2019, 12:20 PM)ferocious Wrote: What was the purpose of turning our backs on the Kurds, and why are we looking out for Russia's interests instead of our own?
For all intents and purposes, it appears as though Trump's personal interests are more closely aligned with Russia that with the United States. So what happens in the future, when we are in need of allies in the region? Trump not only abandoned the Kurds, he also abandoned America's interests.

Be advised.
Russia is not our ally, Russia is not our friend.
We have created a vacuum in the region that is being filled by Russia even as we speak.

Either way, he has proven that he is not fit to remain as president for a second term.

Ludicrous.

(10-23-2019, 12:44 PM)ferocious Wrote: jj, This site is the closest thing to social media I engage in.
This is not a syndrome or a phobia. I simply want to know, please help me understand.

Neither, he is removing America from a regional civil war, as he should.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 12:49 PM by ferocious.)

He abandoned the Kurds, betrayed his allies, put Europe at risk from ISIS, and allowed Russia to enter the vacated land.
I would like to know why.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."        --Plato

(10-23-2019, 12:43 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 11:54 AM)Gabe Wrote: More like responding to semantics. 

Fighting ISIS is a global issue. You called it policing. 

You and I agree, though, that the US shouldn't be the world's police department. However, global diplomacy requires a little more tact than what was used, especially when it comes to our allies.

Turkey and ISIS are not the same thing. Turkey is, in fact, our formal ally, while the Kurds have been a practical but not formal one. The policing reference is to the conflict between the Kurds, Syria, and Turkey over the small section of contested land currently occupied by the Kurds, something we should not be involved in at this time.

The pessimist in me says that all of this (including both the situation in Syria as well as Saudi Arabia) has one common denominator: Oil. The importance of oil is bipartisan - hence our constant presence in the middle east under the guise of global diplomacy.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

And so it is with Russia, who is now taking over the land.

(10-23-2019, 01:00 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 12:43 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Turkey and ISIS are not the same thing. Turkey is, in fact, our formal ally, while the Kurds have been a practical but not formal one. The policing reference is to the conflict between the Kurds, Syria, and Turkey over the small section of contested land currently occupied by the Kurds, something we should not be involved in at this time.

The pessimist in me says that all of this (including both the situation in Syria as well as Saudi Arabia) has one common denominator: Oil. The importance of oil is bipartisan - hence our constant presence in the middle east under the guise of global diplomacy.

Yes, as I said, Saudi Arabia is of global importance. Syria is not. Why are you pessimistic? You are recognizing the driving force of global economics and how America's interests lie in parts of the Middle East, that's good!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-23-2019, 12:48 PM)ferocious Wrote: He abandoned the Kurds, betrayed his allies, put Europe at risk from ISIS, and allowed Russia to enter the vacated land.

Regarding the part in bold, shouldn't the European nations do something about it?  Why the U.S.?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-23-2019, 02:13 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 12:48 PM)ferocious Wrote: He abandoned the Kurds, betrayed his allies, put Europe at risk from ISIS, and allowed Russia to enter the vacated land.

Regarding the part in bold, shouldn't the European nations do something about it?  Why the U.S.?

[Image: team-america-jpg.jpg]

(10-23-2019, 12:44 PM)ferocious Wrote: jj, This site is the closest thing to social media I engage in.

Ok.  Your new.  I get it.  In the future, when I lay out chapter and verse why you're wrong please try to respond to THAT POST instead of winging after the fact.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 03:17 PM by ferocious.)

(10-23-2019, 12:34 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 12:20 PM)ferocious Wrote: What was the purpose of turning our backs on the Kurds, and why are we looking out for Russia's interests instead of our own?
For all intents and purposes, it appears as though Trump's personal interests are more closely aligned with Russia that with the United States. So what happens in the future, when we are in need of allies in the region? Trump not only abandoned the Kurds, he also abandoned America's interests.

Be advised.
Russia is not our ally, Russia is not our friend.
We have created a vacuum in the region that is being filled by Russia even as we speak.

Either way, he has proven that he is not fit to remain as president for a second term.

#TDS
#HEADBURRIEDINSAND

Here is my original post.
I have been here since 2009.
I see that your response was laid out perfectly.
#chapter and #verse

My mistake.

Welp, much to ya'll's chagrin it looks like the whole thing might be over. Unpossible!

Turkey Syria offensive: Trump lifts Turkey sanctions after deal

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50157439

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 04:06 PM by ferocious.)

Congress was already planning stronger sanctions against Turkey. That is why Trump jumped in and issued his own twitter sanctions. Now he has lifted them. It remains to be seen what will happen next. And, more importantly, what will happen in the region 

Tell the Kurds and ISIS that it's over.

(10-23-2019, 04:05 PM)ferocious Wrote: Congress was already planning stronger sanctions against Turkey. That is why Trump jumped in and issued his own twitter sanctions. Now he has lifted them. It remains to be seen what will happen next. And, more importantly, what will happen in the region 

Tell the Kurds and ISIS that it's over.

Care to cite a source?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

There are many, thank you for asking. Here is one:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/o...-sanctions

(10-23-2019, 12:11 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(10-23-2019, 10:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You don't think we have at least a moral obligation, to our allies in the fight against ISIS, to at least give them a little warning before we walk away and tell their enemies to go ahead and attack?  We should just let innocent people die because "we are under no obligation?"  When all we had to do was nothing?  Just stay where we were?  How about at least telling them, "in a couple of months we are going to be leaving.  Watch out for the Turks."  Or should we just up and walk out all of a sudden, when our allies, who lost 10,000 soldiers in the fight against ISIS so we didn't have to, are facing attack from their enemies, elimination of all their hopes and dreams, shelling of their cities, killing of their women and children?  We just walk out because the dictator of Turkey asked Trump to get our soldiers out of the way so he could attack our allies?  Do you think there is any value to having credibility and the trust of other countries and people around the world?

Frankly I expect better from u.  The level of ignorance is beginning to border on embarrassing.  

What is the purpose of boots on the ground in this situation?  Strategic deterrence.  We were never going to nation build a Kurdistan.  If that strategic objective can be achieved I. The absence of our troops being present through a combination of a military alliance between Kurdish forces and greater Syrian ( which we HAVE BEEN ADVOCATING FOR for a long time) coupled with economic pressure through sanctions then it makes sense to withdraw.  

Moreover, our presence potentially served as a retardant to talks because it insulated both sides from the reality of conflict and allowed them to indulge in ideological as l fantasy as opposed to stark realities.  The Kurds realized it made sense to make a workable deal with syria and Turkey realized they weren't inclined to make a move against Assad's sovereign territory with Russia backing him.  

The result?  A defacto stalemate that precipitates stability through, wait for it, STRATEGIC DETERENCE.

#ishouldcharge4this

You are responding to your own post from 18 posts ago, my friend. You are free to charge yourself if you would like, but in the meantime, would you please respond to Marty's question, as you neglected to the first time.

"Do you think there is any value to having credibility and the trust of other countries and people around the world?"

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 08:16 PM by jj82284.)

(10-23-2019, 05:16 PM)ferocious Wrote: There are many, thank you for asking. Here is one:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/o...-sanctions

Come on man!!!!!  Did u read the article?

(10-23-2019, 06:23 PM)ferocious Wrote: You are responding to your own post from 18 posts ago, my friend. You are free to charge yourself if you would like, but in the meantime, would you please respond to Marty's question, as you neglected to the first time.

"Do you think there is any value to having credibility and the trust of other countries and people around the world?"

Childish.  The emotional premise of "we abandoned the kurds" "we lost credibility" is demolished we hen you actually look at the net impact of our actions.  We leveraged our economic clout to help facilitate strategic deterence and defacto stability in the region.  That's not just credible, that's innovative.

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 08:31 PM by ferocious.)

So, again, "Do you think there is any value to having credibility and the trust of other countries and people around the world?"
I value your opinion, and I would like to know.

(10-23-2019, 08:29 PM)ferocious Wrote: So, again, "Do you think there is any value to having credibility and the trust of other countries and people around the world?"

Trump's actions and the resulting stability will increase that "credibility and trust", but you won't ever see it that way. Frankly I don't care, I want America First and the rest of the world to handle their own affairs so far as they don't impact us.

(10-23-2019, 08:29 PM)ferocious Wrote: So, again, "Do you think there is any value to having credibility and the trust of other countries and people around the world?"

Lol.  If you valued my opinion then you would value the fact that I have already articulated how the presidents actions have strengthened both stability in the region and our trust/credibility with our allies.  

Is there any value in intellectual honesty?