Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We are gonna regret passing on...

Quote:Dan Feeney in RD3 where we selected Dawuane Smoot instead. I think the rest of the selections were beyond reasonable. But this one concerns me. And we'll know right away if this was a mistake because it's easier to see any weaknesses along the trenches as a fan.

If you see a LG or RG getting bulldozed or bulldogged back into the QB. Or if you see Smoot getting stonewalled at the LOS or whooped up on it'll be aggravating.

The one knock on Smoot is that he has a tendency to get "close" to the QB but he can't "finish" the QB. If he struggled with that aspect just at Illinois he's going to have his struggles in the NFL. 

Feeney wasn't perfect. But with a 2nd RD grade on him sitting there in RD3 he would have been a good fit in the run blocking department. And he could pull and get out front as well. He has a good motor for a biggin'. We'll see. It could go the other way. But in fairness we'll have to wait until maybe 2019 to fairly grade this class. 

A lot of people think this but based on FA and the draft Coughlin looks like he's trying to build a power running offense. Dan Feeney doesn't fit that mold so we passed. You have to draft guys you think can fit your scheme. Feeney is not a power run blocker, he is a zone blocker.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Solomon Thomas

But honestly if our pick is a future All-Pro, how much regret could you really have?

I'd only regret passing on a player if ours is a bust.

We didn't pass on Thomas. He was picked #2. I'm starting to warm up to Fournette. If he stays healthy and becomes a workhorse who strikes some fear in defenses like MJD did, then he'll be a home run. 

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Quote:He was the best player at one of our biggest needs.

Seeing we didn't draft one, they'll be another Lamp during next years process.

Cam Robinson is a large mobile flashlight who can play guard and left tackle, much more valuable than a stationary lamp. 

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2017, 08:54 AM by JagFanatic24.)

Quote:We didn't pass on Thomas. He was picked #2. I'm starting to warm up to Fournette. If he stays healthy and becomes a workhorse who strikes some fear in defenses like MJD did, then he'll be a home run.
I don't think MJD stuck fear in defenses. He was a solid RB that was popular in fantasy football. And he was a great face for the franchise early in his career.

Fred Taylor on the other hand struck fear in defenses.

Quote:I don't think MJD stuck fear in defenses. He was a solid RB that was popular in fantasy football. And he was a great face for the franchise early in his career.

Fred Taylor on the other hand struck fear in defenses.

I have to agree with you slightly! MJD was a bowling ball that the biggest fastest defensive guys had trouble bringing down. Will he burn you? No, but I think defenses game planned MJD in the since they had to have more than one guy bringing him down because with the combination of leg strength and how low he could get made it extremely difficult. Yes defenses feared MJD for the same reason they feared Fred Taylor, they could score on any given play. Fred Taylor was for sure on another level than MJD

I love some of you with your "well he had a 2nd round grade" blah blah blah.

Maybe ESPN had a 2nd round grade on him, but who's making the picks?

I don't think you will regret passing on any offensive lineman this year.  It was a really bad draft for them.  I think it is more likely that you regret drafting Cam Robinson when you could have had someone like Curtis Samuel or any one of a dozen other players taken in the 2nd round.

Quote:We didn't pass on Thomas. He was picked #2. I'm starting to warm up to Fournette. If he stays healthy and becomes a workhorse who strikes some fear in defenses like MJD did, then he'll be a home run.

My post was made before the draft.

I've always been on the Fournette train

Peterman (kinda homerish, but we need a QB)

Thomas was drafted #3 overall Bears traded up to 2nd overall pick to select Trubisky

Forest Lamp in round 2 and Dan Feeney in round 3. Both could play OT and OG, currently our weakest positions.

(07-31-2017, 06:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Forest Lamp in round 2 and Dan Feeney in round 3. Both could play OT and OG, currently our weakest positions.

Feeney is a zone blocker.  Do you even reread your posts TMD?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(08-01-2017, 03:52 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(07-31-2017, 06:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Forest Lamp in round 2 and Dan Feeney in round 3. Both could play OT and OG, currently our weakest positions.

Feeney is a zone blocker.  Do you even reread your posts TMD?

Feeney played in the scheme he was told to play in. It doesn't mean he couldn't play in a power scheme. He was a great technical player with good measurables who stood out against great competition and showed versatility to play inside and outside. That's what we need. 

What is a TMD? Does that stand for something?

no regerts

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2017, 10:49 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(05-09-2017, 11:37 AM)Anonymous Anomaly Wrote:
Quote:Dan Feeney in RD3 where we selected Dawuane Smoot instead. I think the rest of the selections were beyond reasonable. But this one concerns me. And we'll know right away if this was a mistake because it's easier to see any weaknesses along the trenches as a fan.

If you see a LG or RG getting bulldozed or bulldogged back into the QB. Or if you see Smoot getting stonewalled at the LOS or whooped up on it'll be aggravating.

The one knock on Smoot is that he has a tendency to get "close" to the QB but he can't "finish" the QB. If he struggled with that aspect just at Illinois he's going to have his struggles in the NFL. 

Feeney wasn't perfect. But with a 2nd RD grade on him sitting there in RD3 he would have been a good fit in the run blocking department. And he could pull and get out front as well. He has a good motor for a biggin'. We'll see. It could go the other way. But in fairness we'll have to wait until maybe 2019 to fairly grade this class. 

A lot of people think this but based on FA and the draft Coughlin looks like he's trying to build a power running offense. Dan Feeney doesn't fit that mold so we passed. You have to draft guys you think can fit your scheme. Feeney is not a power run blocker, he is a zone blocker.

Feeney played in the system they had at Indiana. It doesn't mean he can't play in a power scheme. Feeney is a powerful, intelligent player. He would adjust. Writing linemen off, because of the scheme they played in college is ridiculous.

(05-09-2017, 01:47 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
Quote:He was the best player at one of our biggest needs.

Seeing we didn't draft one, they'll be another Lamp during next years process.

Cam Robinson is a large mobile flashlight who can play guard and left tackle, much more valuable than a stationary lamp. 

I don't think Robinson can play LT at a high level in the NFL. Nobody on here knows for sure. He has yet to play a meaningful NFL game. Watch him against Derek Barnett last year and you may change your opinion.

(08-02-2017, 10:46 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 11:37 AM)Anonymous Anomaly Wrote:  

Feeney played in the system they had at Indiana. It doesn't mean he can't play in a power scheme. Feeney is a powerful, intelligent player. He would adjust. Writing linemen off, because of the scheme they played in college is ridiculous.

(05-09-2017, 01:47 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:  

I don't think Robinson can play LT at a high level in the NFL. Nobody on here knows for sure. He has yet to play a meaningful NFL game. Watch him against Derek Barnett last year and you may change your opinion.

Can I ask your qualifications for making such an observation?
I mean... as a LT he kinda shut down some of the best pass rushers in the SEC on the regular... so.........

I'll say this... there were some who believed Barnett may have been the better DLINE guy to draft this year, save for maybe Myles Garrett. So, he good.

(08-02-2017, 11:41 AM)Kane Wrote:
(08-02-2017, 10:46 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Feeney played in the system they had at Indiana. It doesn't mean he can't play in a power scheme. Feeney is a powerful, intelligent player. He would adjust. Writing linemen off, because of the scheme they played in college is ridiculous.

Can I ask your qualifications for making such an observation?
I mean... as a LT he kinda shut down some of the best pass rushers in the SEC on the regular... so.........

I'll say this... there were some who believed Barnett may have been the better DLINE guy to draft this year, save for maybe Myles Garrett. So, he good.

I don't have any qualifications other than watching tons of college football and scouting players for fun. I'm what you would call a "draftnik". Barnett was very good, but my argument was that in the NFL, Robinson will be seeing guys equally as good, if not better, on a weekly basis.

(08-02-2017, 05:46 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(08-02-2017, 11:41 AM)Kane Wrote: Can I ask your qualifications for making such an observation?

I don't have any qualifications other than watching tons of college football and scouting players for fun. I'm what you would call a "draftnik". Barnett was very good, but my argument was that in the NFL, Robinson will be seeing guys equally as good, if not better, on a weekly basis.

Mike Mayock is a draftnik.

Which media outlet do you work for?

Anywho... enough busting your chops. 
But I hope you're very wrong about Robinson. From what I've read reports ranged from "awesome, LT NFL prospect" to "might have to kick inside"

We'll see.

Mahomes II
Cook
Butt
New signature because HIGH SCORE found the periodic table offensive. Pathetic LOL