Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jets trade Leonard Williams to Giants

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...to-giants/

Wow, a 3rd and 5th round pick (could be 4th) for a 6th overall pick?!?!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He's a pending free agent, so they will also have to give him a big contract to keep him beyond this year.

(10-28-2019, 12:41 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: He's a pending free agent, so they will also have to give him a big contract to keep him beyond this year.

He was mocked as a top 3 pick in 2015. I think its a good gamble by NYG.

(10-28-2019, 12:42 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 12:41 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: He's a pending free agent, so they will also have to give him a big contract to keep him beyond this year.

He was mocked as a top 3 pick in 2015. I think its a good gamble by NYG.

Its pretty much the same thing we got for Fowler.  They have both had pretty equal careers imo

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2019, 01:08 PM by NCJag.)

(10-28-2019, 12:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 12:42 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: He was mocked as a top 3 pick in 2015. I think its a good gamble by NYG.

Its pretty much the same thing we got for Fowler.  They have both had pretty equal careers imo

More or less. Except Williams has actually MADE a Pro Bowl team. Not sure why the G-men traded for him. Its not like they are going anywhere this year either.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(10-28-2019, 01:08 PM)NCJag Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 12:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Its pretty much the same thing we got for Fowler.  They have both had pretty equal careers imo

More or less. Except Williams has actually MADE a Pro Bowl team. Not sure why the G-men traded for him.  Its not like they are going anywhere this year either.

Pro Bowl*  Lol

(10-28-2019, 12:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 12:42 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: He was mocked as a top 3 pick in 2015. I think its a good gamble by NYG.

When it comes to Florida players, your opinion is skewed.

(10-28-2019, 01:08 PM)NCJag Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 12:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Its pretty much the same thing we got for Fowler.  They have both had pretty equal careers imo

More or less. Except Williams has actually MADE a Pro Bowl team. Not sure why the G-men traded for him.  Its not like they are going anywhere this year either.

This is a weird move for a crappy team to make.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(10-28-2019, 01:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 01:08 PM)NCJag Wrote: More or less. Except Williams has actually MADE a Pro Bowl team. Not sure why the G-men traded for him.  Its not like they are going anywhere this year either.

Pro Bowl*  Lol

He went as an alternate, which means the coaches/players picked him.  I don't make the news, I just report it.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2019, 03:09 PM by The Real Marty.)

(10-28-2019, 02:21 PM)Rico Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 01:08 PM)NCJag Wrote: More or less. Except Williams has actually MADE a Pro Bowl team. Not sure why the G-men traded for him.  Its not like they are going anywhere this year either.

It depends on the Giants' cap space, and how they intend to rebuild that team, I guess.  A 3rd and a 4th for a guy who is worth a 1st is a good move if you can afford his upcoming contract.  They do have a big advantage in having a starting QB on a rookie contract, which frees up all kinds of cap space.

There is a REALLY fine line between a crappy team and a good team. Giants have a lot of good pieces in place, including what looks like a franchise QB.

(10-28-2019, 03:17 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 02:21 PM)Rico Wrote: This is a weird move for a crappy team to make.

There is a REALLY fine line between a crappy team and a good team. Giants have a lot of good pieces in place, including what looks like a franchise QB.

Fair points. Jones looks good in some games and lost in other games. Between Jones (if he pans out), Barkley, and Evan Engram they've got the outline of a stellar offense.

If they plan to keep him long term, they get the chance to evaluate how he fits in their scheme, and they have a 5-month jump on the rest of the league in any contract negotiation.

I also think I read that NYJ is paying a portion of his remaining salary, so they're doing all this with a discount at the same time.

Good move.