Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who do you start?
Minshew
Foles
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Foles vs Minshew (poll & merged threads)

(09-30-2019, 08:48 AM)rocdee Wrote: can you guys just let it play out for at least 4 more games or so? Stop crowning guys so early in the game.

Magical fairy...gotta pick for next Sunday.. You going with Foles?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-30-2019, 09:42 AM)Rico Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 09:36 AM)jaglyn Wrote: Not ready to crown him yet but refreshing to have a backup that is not a Chad

Be cautious that we've seen this show before, we have to just let him do his thing

We have?

I meant in the NFL (not the Jags franchise), like Matt Flynn, Brock Osweiler, when a young back-up looks amazing at first

I don't think anyone here is claiming Minshew is going to be the next great Brees or anything. But I think it's pretty obvious he's NOT going to be Bortles. That's good, right?

But push comes to shove, I recall a few posters in here not being thrilled with the idea of having Foles signed to this team in the first place..If he came back in Week 12, let's say, and he's back to playing very well, i'd have no issue with him starting. I just think if.....IF Minshew continues to lead key drives throughout the next several weeks, regardless of whatever is happening on the defensive side of things, you've got to start asking about it. It doesn't mean that Minshew immediately has dethroned Foles; it just might be recognition that Foles's days MAY be numbered in Jacksonville if he can't stay healthy

And Matt Flynn I remember well. But call it a hunch, I don't think Gardner is going to be that kind of dude. Agree to disagree.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2019, 10:19 AM by WingerDinger.)

Personally, I don't care if Minshew isn't throwing 300 yards, 4 TD's a game. What I care about is that he's making smart decisions with the football, throws with accuracy and puts this team in the position to win football games.. To me, that screams starter..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(09-30-2019, 09:42 AM)Rico Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 09:36 AM)jaglyn Wrote: Not ready to crown him yet but refreshing to have a backup that is not a Chad

Be cautious that we've seen this show before, we have to just let him do his thing

We have?
Yeah. Exactly. Where have we seen this before?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think he is the real deal but yeah, it is better to wait a bit to see how he plays, although I am pretty sure he will continue to do good.

Foles to Bengals, Vikings (people hate Cousins), Broncos or Washington.

I'm rolling with the Stache. The Stache is already getting killed behind this offensive line, but has shown the ability to escape. Foles can't do that. If it wasn't the collarbone, it would of been something else eventually. Moving forward I also keep Foles as insurance because this offensive line is offensive.

(09-30-2019, 09:03 AM)TJBender Wrote: Minshew has shown himself to be capable of greatness. If he keeps looking like he has thus far, there's no reason to take him out of the lineup.

No one expected this to play out like it has......but, people that have known GMII all his life have said
He doesn't change.....he just makes wherever he goes a better team.
Nuff' said! Because he has shown that beyond any shadow of a doubt.

I was worried about Minshew getting his legs hit....in the Denver media , Channel 9 game recap , they noted after the game while waiting for the plane
he had an ice pack on his knee.
"If its any consolation, Minshew left battered. He was sacked five times -- twice by Miller, who now has 100 in his career -- and was moving with a pronounced limp with an ice pack on his left knee as the Jaguars were waiting hours in the visitors locker room after their win because of an airplane delay.

"I just got hit in the lower body,'' Minshew said. "Just football stuff."

That's him and just who he is....delivers an unbelievable game for the second time in his career ....gets banged up but just waves it off.
We have GOT to protect him better.
The Legend continues.

As I understand it the cap hit will be substantial if we trade Foles ....but wow what an expensive back up he would be.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(09-30-2019, 03:44 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Unless this team loses the next 6+ straight games, or Minshew gets injured later on in this season, there's absolutely no reason why Foles should take another snap as the QB for this team.

Trade Foles for whatever you can get in the off season.

+1 

Why mess with what's working and winning? Minshew has given the team and the fans a morale boost we didn't know we needed. Along with that is his ability to get the job done and fight for every play. I've not seen a QB, or any player in this team, fight as hard as he did yesterday to keep the plays alive in a very long time. Then Fournette, Armstead, Westbrook and O'Shaunessy (sp) started doing the same. Minshew was leading by example, something that has been sorely lacking in the offense for quite some time. 

Both Westbrook and Fournette said he was doing a great job. For some reason that says a lot (to me anyway) about how they see GM15 emerging as a leader. We'll see how he holds up going forward as we're just through the first four games, but if we win out this season I'd say it's a no brainer.

I can only imagine how much that hit would have been milked by Gabbert or Bortles as an excuse for terrible play.

As most have said. You don't pull the hot hand out of the line up. As long as they're winning and rallying behind him there's no need to pull him out of there.

I will say this though. For the long term. If Minshew leads them to a play off berth there's a good chance they trade Foles next year during the draft or off season.

And I actually think there's a good number of teams who might be interested. Chicago, Minnesotta, Washington, Denver & Miami could be interested. A lot of question marks at QB for those teams. And a lot of potential coaching shake up's there too.

They just need to keep him healthy. I have seen enough of Robinson at LT. He's not the answer. Right now that position is numero uno on the list of priorities going into 2020.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-30-2019, 10:58 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 03:44 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Unless this team loses the next 6+ straight games, or Minshew gets injured later on in this season, there's absolutely no reason why Foles should take another snap as the QB for this team.

Trade Foles for whatever you can get in the off season.

+1 

Why mess with what's working and winning? Minshew has given the team and the fans a morale boost we didn't know we needed. Along with that is his ability to get the job done and fight for every play. I've not seen a QB, or any player in this team, fight as hard as he did yesterday to keep the plays alive in a very long time. Then Fournette, Armstead, Westbrook and O'Shaunessy (sp) started doing the same. Minshew was leading by example, something that has been sorely lacking in the offense for quite some time. 

Both Westbrook and Fournette said he was doing a great job. For some reason that says a lot (to me anyway) about how they see GM15 emerging as a leader. We'll see how he holds up going forward as we're just through the first four games, but if we win out this season I'd say it's a no brainer.

He could have easily have been sacked 2 more times yesterday. His scramble ability and leg strength keeps him up. I just don’t see Foles being able to do what he does. I believe if Foles was in that game yesterday, it would have been a loss. 

Minshew is tough to stop. He’s deadly accurate and you don’t know what he’s going to do. He hit what, 9 different receivers yesterday? He makes more time so he can continue to read the field and throw a clean pass. 

From what I’ve seen of Foles. He’s smart, and throws a clean ball. But I don’t think he has the ability to buy more time in the pocket. If we had a good OL, I could see Foles blasting out. But we don’t.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2019, 12:24 PM by JagJohn.)

(09-30-2019, 10:14 AM)Nikowho Wrote: I don't think anyone here is claiming Minshew is going to be the next great Brees or anything. But I think it's pretty obvious he's NOT going to be Bortles. That's good, right?

But push comes to shove, I recall a few posters in here not being thrilled with the idea of having Foles signed to this team in the first place..If he came back in Week 12, let's say, and he's back to playing very well, i'd have no issue with him starting. I just think if.....IF Minshew continues to lead key drives throughout the next several weeks, regardless of whatever is happening on the defensive side of things, you've got to start asking about it. It doesn't mean that Minshew immediately has dethroned Foles; it just might be recognition that Foles's days MAY be numbered in Jacksonville if he can't stay healthy

And Matt Flynn I remember well. But call it a hunch, I don't think Gardner is going to be that kind of dude. Agree to disagree.

Speak for yourself.

(09-30-2019, 11:43 AM)Caldrac Wrote: As most have said. You don't pull the hot hand out of the line up. As long as they're winning and rallying behind him there's no need to pull him out of there.

I will say this though. For the long term. If Minshew leads them to a play off berth there's a good chance they trade Foles next year during the draft or off season.

And I actually think there's a good number of teams who might be interested. Chicago, Minnesotta, Washington, Denver & Miami could be interested. A lot of question marks at QB for those teams. And a lot of potential coaching shake up's there too.

They just need to keep him healthy. I have seen enough of Robinson at LT. He's not the answer. Right now that position is numero uno on the list of priorities going into 2020.

I don't think Foles is traded due to his cap hit next year.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I think that this is all a bit premature right now.

With that being said as it currently stands, I would keep Foles on the sideline should he be back and healthy this week (I know that he's not going to be healthy for quite some time).  Stay with the "hot hand".

As far as contracts and salary cap stuff, I'm by no means an "expert" on such matters, but I would try to keep him for another season as the backup, even with his high salary unless he can be traded (doubtful).  He's going to be a hit on the salary cap either way (if he's released), and it gives the team the opportunity to draft a potential new future backup while having a VERY capable backup in place.

The bottom line is, like it or not the team has already "paid" for this season and the next for his services... at least if I understand how his contract works correctly.

If I am wrong about this, one of you "salary cap geeks" please correct me.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Why is everyone so eager to get rid of Foles. Keep him until his dead cap drops down to a manageable number. Having two capable QBs for this team is a gigantic boost to this team, one that helped teams like Philly win a Superbowl title.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2019, 03:24 PM by Kane.)

If Nick Foles was healed and ready to go for this Sunday. They'd likely play Nick.

And we are all riding high on emotion right now, but if you're honest with yourself you'll know that RIGHT NOW, the correct answer would be Foles. But... in reality Foles won't be ready this weekend. So when week 11 rolls around, if Minshew Magic Mania is still going strong, at that point you probably let Nick get his full healing in and ride the rook and deal with QB in the off season (Maybe you trade Foles.... IDK)

(PS I love the auto correct on Foles' nickname initials)

(09-30-2019, 03:23 PM)Kane Wrote: If Nick Foles was healed and ready to go for this Sunday. They'd likely play Nick.

And we are all riding high on emotion right now, but if you're honest with yourself you'll know that RIGHT NOW, the correct answer would be Foles. But... in reality Foles won't be ready this weekend. So when week 11 rolls around, if Minshew Magic Mania is still going strong, at that point you probably let Nick get his full healing in and ride the rook and deal with QB in the off season (Maybe you trade Foles.... IDK)

(PS I love the auto correct on Foles' nickname initials)

IDK....

We know what Foles is... 

We are learning what Minshew is...

and it looks like Minshew has tools that Foles can only dream of.

As a WSU Coug alumnus, I hope Minshew wins the starting job, he has another four games or so to prove he is worthy of the starting spot. If the Jags are 5-3 or 6-2 by the time Foles returns, I don't see how Minshew is not the starter. If they stand a 4-4 well the it is more of a debate. But my chips are on Garner! He did it at WSU, I am confident he will do it in Jacksonville. The guy has it, as you all are seeing.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2019, 03:44 PM by KABD.)

who the hell voted for Foles? Noobs!

Ride with the stache until he proves otherwise.