Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Khan interview about stadium and future

(11-02-2019, 11:11 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 11:01 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Is it not true? Jag home games are rough to watch on tv....soooomany empty seats.

It's a really lazy comment which hides the most important part of that statement.  

Jacksonville won't support 8 home games of a team with 1 good season in a decade +  and nor should it. 

Implying that it is somehow the home fans fault the Jags have been woefully inept during Khan's era is trash. And also the last Jags "home game" in London the stadium was 75% Eagles fans.

(11-02-2019, 11:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I missed the part where season tickets holders don't get charged for the "home" game that isn't played here.

The home game that isn't played there and barely has a majority jags crowd in London too lol

Business men don’t think that way. He looks at it as he wrote the checks and put their right pieces in place twice now. These types of people don’t really accept failure over and over (insert Gus joke), that failure would be not selling out home games. That’s HIS perspective right or wrong. 

The biggest problem the Jags have had is lacking a franchise QB for years. It’s been a loooong time since Brunell wore a Jags helmet. I think the fans could tolerate losing if we had a qb that kept us in the game most games. Instead of feeling like any year could be a playoff year, it feels destitute. 

It’s not all doom or gloom though...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1935...s-in-2010/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-02-2019, 11:27 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 11:11 PM)JackCity Wrote: It's a really lazy comment which hides the most important part of that statement.  

Jacksonville won't support 8 home games of a team with 1 good season in a decade +  and nor should it. 

Implying that it is somehow the home fans fault the Jags have been woefully inept during Khan's era is trash. And also the last Jags "home game" in London the stadium was 75% Eagles fans.

The home game that isn't played there and barely has a majority jags crowd in London too lol

Business men don’t think that way. He looks at it as he wrote the checks and put their right pieces in place twice now. These types of people don’t really accept failure over and over (insert Gus joke), that failure would be not selling out home games. That’s HIS perspective right or wrong. 

The biggest problem the Jags have had is lacking a franchise QB for years. It’s been a loooong time since Brunell wore a Jags helmet. I think the fans could tolerate losing if we had a qb that kept us in the game most games. Instead of feeling like any year could be a playoff year, it feels destitute. 

It’s not all doom or gloom though...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1935...s-in-2010/

Well that's what I'm saying, his perspective, if it really is his true perspective, stinks. 

His football teams have been a monstrous failure since he became owner, on the field, and according to him off the field too. 

The home fans deserve no part of blame for either

I'm firmly convinced the plan is to use 1 billion or so of the JEA sale money and build a new domes stadium or figure out a way to dome TIAA field. The doming of TIAA would be optimal since it would preserve all the money spent on the recent upgrades.

(11-02-2019, 10:28 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 07:23 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I think he's being honest from where he sits but yeah, it's not necessarily confidence inspiring but I guess it's better than getting fed a line of bull about the situation. It sounds to me like he does want the team to stay put and he's doing everything he can to make that happen. The reality is not something that Jag fan wants to hear but the ticket prices revenue must continue to increase (meaning prices and attendance) and the corporate support needs to continue to strengthen.

By the way, those are things most of the small market teams have in common.

He's the owner, if he wants it to happen, all he has to do is say "We're not moving".

Bingo. You can indirectly suggest all you want if you start statements with that. You keep taking passive shots at the city, whether true or not, people are going to take it negatively and draw conclusions about moving whether you intend that or not.

Everyone knows that khan has invested a lot into the stadium and surrounding sections. But everyone knows they are bandaids On the looming need to build a new stadium.

Fielding winning team will obviously fill seats. But announcing intentions to build new stadium would be the ultimate commitment to staying here.

We all know we are a small market. But this town can fill those seats. making subtle jabs will do nothing to bring people in.

I like how people act like there aren't 3/4 of the franchises in the league that have a ton of empty seats if they have 2 losing seasons in a row, much less the stints we've had.

Our fans are great, and frankly this year particularly has had a bad stretch of circumstances, from ongoing rain to ungodly scorchers, well into the season.

I've missed one game since 2003, when they removed 4 inches of my intestine via emergency surgery. There are a ton of others with similar dedication. Thousands.

I'm thrilled with Shad's investment in the city, and I take it as obvious issues and needs. Every business has targets. Unfortunately our fanbase has been trained and mocked regarding moving to LA to moving to London to whatever. If we indeed have the QB situation right, and can be consistently good, a lot of other things all follow.

(11-03-2019, 01:19 AM)nate Wrote: I've missed one game since 2003, when they removed 4 inches of my intestine via emergency surgery.  There are a ton of others with similar dedication.  Thousands.

Perhaps, but there's the difference between Jacksonville and Green Bay or Pittsburgh. If one of our thousands drops out, the Packers or Steelers have ten other people lined up at the gate to take that seat. Jacksonville doesn't.

I don't see Jacksonville ponying up hundreds of millions for a new stadium, nor do I see Khan funding it himself--at least, not until he has a viable downtown and a fanbase that will actually buy tickets. And even if they do replace the stadium, Regency Square, while as good a location as any, isn't going to happen. Why would Khan sink so much into revitalizing downtown then take his crown gem into the gang-infested ghetto that part of town has become?

I think the significance of Khan saying that the market can't sell out eight games is being lost a bit here. What he's saying in the next few sentences without actually saying it is that the revenue to operate a stadium isn't there without coming up with something for the hot dog vendor to do. That's not a healthy market, and as a businessman with billions invested in his product, Khan understandably and realistically needs to know that his investment isn't hinging on the ability to bring big musical acts to the stadium that his team can't sell out.

That said, I'm not joining the "they're leaving" brigade. I do think that the next London contract will see the team take a second home game per year overseas as soon as the Jags are contractually able to do so. And yes, it will be a home game that goes. I've seen the one home, one away idea, and I would love to be in the owners meeting when Khan suggests giving the Jaguars a schedule with what amounts to nine home games. To be brutally honest about it, London is Jacksonville's life support while Jacksonville figures out if it wants a team or not. Moving a second home game over there would help the revenue situation, but ultimately it's going to come down to the city. If the fans start selling out the stadium, and if the downtown revitalization projects finally do something other than look pretty on paper, and if the second London game adds enough revenue to subsidize Jacksonville without adding so much than Khan decides it's worth the time and money to figure out how the hell a full-time team would work over there...lots of ifs. And here's the biggest if of all--if the big-market team owners decide during this CBA to stiff the small-market teams and that shared revenue stream dries up to a large extent, suddenly those long-term viability questions become very, very short-term.

(11-02-2019, 10:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: Pretty pathetic to say the local fans can't support 8 home games

Maybe they can and maybe they can't but for sure they don't.  There were large amounts of unsold tickets for the Jets game.  

I would think that if the new CBA has a 17 or 18 game season, the Jaguars will be playing 2 home games in London.

I would be more than willing to send London a preseason game. See how they support that trash product.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 08:12 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

I call your bluff Mark & Shad. Where will you move the team? London, San Diego, St. Louis, San Antonio? Good luck.

(11-03-2019, 05:49 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 10:05 PM)JackCity Wrote: Pretty pathetic to say the local fans can't support 8 home games

Maybe they can and maybe they can't but for sure they don't.  There were large amounts of unsold tickets for the Jets game.  

I would think that if the new CBA has a 17 or 18 game season, the Jaguars will be playing 2 home games in London.

That's what I'm thinking. Theres been a lot of talk about an extra regular season game, I think they may play that in London too. Local fans dont lose another game but another London game revenue boost.

My main worry would be travelling twice in a season but if we could make them back to back that may help.

All I can say is my wife and I would definitely attend more games if we had a dome. Many times we have chosen to watch games on TV because the stadium is simply so stinking hot and uncomfortable. Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, and Atlanta all understand the importance of comfort in order to draw attendance in southern (and southwestern) hot climes. The more northern teams don't deal with the extended and unrelenting hot seasons like we do. If a new stadium is ever built, it must be domed.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 08:36 AM by Mowerguy.)

There are several things in play ....what comes first?
Jaguar's commitment to staying?
Fan's commitment to attending?

Look at what NASCAR went through ....heck even Daytona pulled some seats because of lower attendance.
Broadcast of events has gotten better and better ....the technology is pretty incredible.

So the owners are going to have to really come to terms with this....
Do you want viewers in the stands? Or do you want them at home or in a sportsbar?
This is the challenge they face.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(11-03-2019, 08:34 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: There are several things in play ....what comes first?
Jaguar's commitment to staying?
Fan's commitment to attending?

Look at what NASCAR went through ....heck even Daytona pulled some seats because of lower attendance.
Broadcast of events has gotten better and better ....the technology is pretty incredible.

So the owners are going to have to really come to terms with this....
Do you want viewers in the stands? Or do you want them at home or in a sportsbar?
This is the challenge they face.
Pay per view NFL games at $80 per game. Revenue problem solved.

(11-03-2019, 08:12 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I call your bluff Mark & Shad. Where will you move the team? London, San Diego,  St. Louis, San Antonio?  Good luck.

The bigger question is from where would Jacksonville get the replacement should Shad move the team? 

Would that even be possible/feasible?

How long would it take?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

For better or for worse, Shad has always been honest to a fault.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 09:02 AM by SeldomRite.)

(11-03-2019, 03:13 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 01:19 AM)nate Wrote: I've missed one game since 2003, when they removed 4 inches of my intestine via emergency surgery.  There are a ton of others with similar dedication.  Thousands.

Perhaps, but there's the difference between Jacksonville and Green Bay or Pittsburgh. If one of our thousands drops out, the Packers or Steelers have ten other people lined up at the gate to take that seat. Jacksonville doesn't.

That's because they've been on top of the standings for decades. Let them have 10-20 years like the jaguars have had and they'll be right back to splitting games with Milwaukee and the waiting list will suddenly be dry.

(11-03-2019, 08:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 08:12 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I call your bluff Mark & Shad. Where will you move the team? London, San Diego,  St. Louis, San Antonio?  Good luck.

The bigger question is from where would Jacksonville get the replacement should Shad move the team? 

How long would it take?

We wouldn't. The NFL will never award another "small market". It's not the 90s anymore.

I am however tired of this carrot being dangled in front of our faces on an annual basis around London time as a scare tactic. 

At the end of the day, the city existed before Shad Khan got here and is home to one of the best golf courses in the entire world and a good climate. I stopped losing sleep a decade ago about this team moving.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 09:10 AM by SeldomRite.)

(11-03-2019, 09:02 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 08:55 AM)Bullseye Wrote: The bigger question is from where would Jacksonville get the replacement should Shad move the team? 

How long would it take?

We wouldn't. The NFL will never award another "small market". It's not the 90s anymore.

I am however tired of this carrot being dangled in front of our faces on an annual basis around London time as a scare tactic. 

At the end of the day, the city existed before Shad Khan got here and is home to one of the best golf courses in the entire world and a good climate. I stopped losing sleep a decade ago about this team moving.

Correct, the NFL would give Orlando a team before they put another one here. If the Jaguars leave get used to pulling for the dolphins again. That said I'm much less a fan of the NFL than I used to be, if the Jags left it would be the last straw for me and I'd become the most casual of casual NFL fans, the kind that doesn't pay attention to who's playing and forgets there are even games on TV.

For the Jags to have a long term future here they need a winning couple of decades like the Packers have had. Minshew might make it happen. Then the Jags could become a national interest level team. Without that happening is always going to be a case of the Jags just hanging on to stay in Jax.

(This post was last modified: 11-03-2019, 09:16 AM by JackCity.)

(11-03-2019, 05:49 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

You can't deliver the decade the Jaguars have had an expect anything else in a market like this. 

Now add in what seems to be a pretty terrible game day experience in terms of the heat, food and entry times and you have lots of reasons to stay away... especially in an era where attendance is down across the board in multiple sports

If the Jags were doing everything right, had been a consistently competitive team, the game day experience was great and fans were STILL not showing up like for the Jets game

Ok then that's a problem. But I highly doubt that's the case

(11-03-2019, 09:09 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 09:02 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: We wouldn't. The NFL will never award another "small market". It's not the 90s anymore.

Correct, the NFL would give Orlando a team before they put another one here. If the Jaguars leave get used to pulling for the dolphins again. That said I'm much less a fan of the NFL than I used to be, if the Jags left it would be the last straw for me and I'd become the most casual of casual NFL fans, the kind that doesn't pay attention to who's playing and forgets there are even games on TV.

For the Jags to have a long term future here they need a winning couple of decades like the Packers have had. Minshew might make it happen. Then the Jags could become a national interest level team. Without that happening is always going to be a case of the Jags just hanging on to stay in Jax.

I was never a fan of a Florida team or the NFL in general before the Jags got here. Heck, I think I liked the Raiders because they had cool colors. 

If they left, it would be casual viewing for me and focus solely for FF. As you get older and the business side rears its ugly head, it is very easy to fall out of love with professional sports.

As far as winning, yes, that would help immensely.  For the latter part of their existence,  this team has been a total embarrassment on the field and unable to string together even a few winning seasons. The expectation for a small market to support a crap product while trying to avoid skin cancer is a pretty large ask.

At the end of the day, I have always said the team will be shared between Jax and London with an even split of games.  This will be the true litmus test if London can support a full time team while using the small market excuse to defend the decision. If the London experiment fails and Khan comes crawling back to Jax fulltime and COJ isn't receptive, he (or Tony) can then move the team.