Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can Minshew's problems be fixed?

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2019, 12:22 PM by Firesky.)

(11-04-2019, 12:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: My thoughts on Minshew's issues from another thread earlier:

*I wouldn't try to totally break him of moving laterally out of the pocket because he's good at it, but he needs to be able to operate without doing that more consistently. I'd drill him on stepping up rather than out more, but the o-line plays a hand in this too. He's got to have a pocket to step into.

*His diligence to make reads on most of his snaps is great for a rookie, but it needs to be a beat or two quicker. Holding the ball over 3 seconds as often as he does is going to create protection issues for even very good o -linemen at times. A few too many forced into coverage as well - which just won't work with his velocity.

*There's still a marked difference between "poised 15" and "rattled 15" when it comes to his footwork.  That'll have to level out.

*Might need some help seeing throwing lanes in the middle of the field.  Height is a factor, but likely the playbook designed for Foles also is playing a hand in this issue too. Either way, needs improvement.

None of this stuff seems insurmountable to me.

I hope to see him again as a starter for the Jags with some of this stuff cleaned up.

To answer these:
*We need better Guards to create a pocket for him to step up into. Linder is great but it's clear he doesn't trust Cann/Norwell to not get whipped as he's moving in the pocket, I think that heavily contributes to him moving laterally rather than stepping up. Easily coachable especially if they improve the interior Oline. Also it's worth noting that he stepped up in the pocket way more earlier in the year, I think moving laterally was more learned bc it was working this year (and stepping up into interior pressure isn't an option) rather than being his preferred way to extend the play/avoid the rush.

*He needs to be QUICKER at going through reads, I love that he's always trying to hit the big play downfield, but with more experience he'll develop an internal clock that has him say "Long Ball not there, Intermediate is covered, ok Check it down" 

*Absolutely agree, his footwork is stellar but it unravels when he gets pressured on consecutive plays, again this is just a consistency issue that'll come with experience imho

*The Over route he threw a pick on looked like it was designed for Foles. Manipulating the throwing lanes is something he does well, but I think having an offense that's designed around his strengths and preferred throws will do wonders for him if he's "The Guy" going into next year.

All of his "issues" seem to be related to experience and just being a rookie adjusting to the NFL. I haven't seen any glaring deficiency that can't be coached around or would cap his celing. As I said in the pre-season ... I think Gardner is likely our future.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-08-2019, 01:02 AM)lastonealive Wrote: Can Rivers problems be fixed?

News flash no QB plays well every week.

So you're saying it's the exact same situation when a veteran that's played a couple of hundred games and a rookie who has played 9 is the same thing?

Really?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

So you are going to be harder on a rookie than the experienced QB.

That makes sense...

(11-09-2019, 01:59 AM)lastonealive Wrote: So you are going to be harder on a rookie than the experienced QB.

That makes sense...

More careful.  That DOES make sense.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2019, 09:18 AM by NH3.)

GM15's issues to which is minor in my opinion is definitely fixable w/time and experience other than being on the field. He's a quick learner that will seriously benefit from sitting, watching and continuing to learn. In my opinion, he hit that dreaded "Rookie Wall" as he over lobbied to extend Minshew Mania. Overall he did well. Held his own but it wasn't good enough. NF7 would have to lead our Jaguars through an near undefeated second half in order for us to have a shot at the post season.

Remember Now. When NF7 and company came aboard we were spewing "SB or Bust". I remember and Y'all do to. Quit acting like you don't.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

I think one thing we can all agree, after Houston, 0-2, Foles out, Ramsey wanting out, it looked like full blown dumpster fire territory. I'd waited 9 months for this?!

But Minshew gave this team, City and fanbase something to rally around, some hope to build on for the season. Hes not done himself any harm this season and hes made a hell of an impression in these 9 weeks.

The fumbles are very correctable. Tony Romo had the same issue early in his career while he tried to buy time and makes plays. He devoted part of an offseason to improving this and made leaps in bounds.

The ONLY thing that I worry about is Minshew’s arm strength. I think that if his mechanics improve, he could put some more velocity on this throws. The question is how much more.

(11-04-2019, 11:46 AM)JagFanFirst Wrote: Teams know how to play against him now. The Texans are the first team to see him twice.  So we know he has problems staying inside the pocket - he's more comfortable when he can improvise. I don't want to take away that improvision at all--that's what makes him special. But for him, the next step is to learn how to be comfortable and play in the pocket.  Is that doable?

Agreed. Right now he's basically Jake "the Snake" Plummer.
'02

(11-04-2019, 12:03 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 11:48 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Actually that is completely backwards. Minshew is a classic pocket QB who is being forced into running by inadequate protection. That he's doing it fairly well speaks to his ability because it was not something he did in college at all.

Hmm.... saw a stat before I turned off the TV that Minshew was kept clean. No hits no hurries. (This was prior to the 4th Q)\

The pass pro isn't perfect by any means. But the kid HAS to learn how to take a damn check down. Far too often Fournette is in the flat or the TE is open on a shallow crosser and he is looking downfield trying to hit the big one to Conley and Chark. When he hits those, we love that play, but sometimes you just gotta take the 3 yards.

He's a rookie. He can learn and get better. But to put it all on the OL is kinda silly.
Most OLs don't/can't protect for 5+ seconds. When our WRs don't get separation and aren't open, he's gotta get rid of it sometimes.

I love the guy, think he can really develop (but probably with a different coaching staff as ours just gets out coached and out schemed far too often)

This is where I feel his sitting and developing a while watching Foles is beneficial and will pay off as these concepts hopefully sink in.

(11-04-2019, 12:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: My thoughts on Minshew's issues from another thread earlier:

*I wouldn't try to totally break him of moving laterally out of the pocket because he's good at it, but he needs to be able to operate without doing that more consistently. I'd drill him on stepping up rather than out more, but the o-line plays a hand in this too. He's got to have a pocket to step into.

*His diligence to make reads on most of his snaps is great for a rookie, but it needs to be a beat or two quicker. Holding the ball over 3 seconds as often as he does is going to create protection issues for even very good o -linemen at times. A few too many forced into coverage as well - which just won't work with his velocity.

*There's still a marked difference between "poised 15" and "rattled 15" when it comes to his footwork.  That'll have to level out.

*Might need some help seeing throwing lanes in the middle of the field.  Height is a factor, but likely the playbook designed for Foles also is playing a hand in this issue too. Either way, needs improvement.

None of this stuff seems insurmountable to me.

I hope to see him again as a starter for the Jags with some of this stuff cleaned up.

Hopefully his fumbles get cleaned up as well.
'02

(11-05-2019, 08:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think the lack of a TE is a really huge problem that people are overlooking.   Opposing teams are emphasizing covering the WRs, so where is the TE?

It did seem like the Texans concentrated their zones on the WRs to take them away.

As for the TE, he just doesn't seem to have any rapport with Oliver which is something Foles established with Oliver during training camp. My guess is we'll be seeing considerably more catches from Oliver.

Late in the game, Minshew was clearly pressing and the results were not pretty. You could practically see him hitting that rookie wall.
'02

(11-05-2019, 09:55 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: It doesn't matter who we put behind center.  This isn't a Minshew right now problem.  This is an offensive problem for about 5 years now.  The game plan is bad but a bunch of it is because the players are inexperienced, hurt or not executing.  Our opponents know our trends, know our plays and can beat us like a drum.  When you have inexperience and you are relying on young guys, there is only so much you can put on them to execute.

So we have chicken, egg, chicken problems with our team.  The coaches are suspect, the talent is suspect and time may be the only remedy we have.  It isn't just the QB that has to make his reads.  The WRs have to beat press and adjust routes as needed.  Foles may stabilize things in some ways but it is the same coaches and the same inexperienced players.  Until we can break through this cycle we are going to be scratching to be .500

The NFL is tough to get wins and no team is above losing.  Honestly there are much better coaches out there and they can overcome injuries and inexperience because they have systems and years of working with players.

We keep changing out players like a turnstile and lose guys as they are developing.

DJ Chark is doesn't a sensational job out there, and I don't feel like he needs to adjust his routes. I feel that he's too often forced to come back for the ball as he tracks it in the air and is then forced to make the contested catch with the corner draped all over him. Fortunately, he's great at doing this, but with Nick, I see Chark catching perfectly thrown passes downfield with a couple of steps on the defender en route to the end zone. Chark is currently ranked #11 among NFL WRs, but his ranking just might go up a bit with Foles.
'02

Michew is going to develop into a ver good NFL QB.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2019, 05:21 PM by Caldrac.)

His problems can be fixed with mastery of the playbook, relaxing under pressure and just over time with experience in general. He out performed his value as a rookie. 4 - 4 as a starter is a solid return on a 6th RD pick. As far as the offensive line being bottom five (read only a few posts from page 1 on here) it's a give and take thing. Technically one really bad whiffed block cost us Foles within what? 1 Qt. of football?

I have seen some games this year though where QB's like Mason Rudolph (TNF against CLE prime example), Kyler Murray, Jameis Winston & Daniel Jones have had their [BLEEP] absolutely handed to them. Some of it was on them. A LOT of it was on piss poor pass protection.

I agree that most QB's won't see 5+ seconds in the pocket. And a lot of guys, including Minshew, will tend to dance around and try to make something happen. Josh Allen does it in BUF. Russell Wilson does it in SEA. Aaron Rodgers does it in GB.

That's one aspect of Minshew's game that you DON'T want to restrict or lose. But he does need to get better at taking what the defense gives him sometimes. And he does need to work on settling his feet inside the pocket and not looking at his first read and maybe second read before deciding to dance around. My primary concern is just the long term staying power for this coaching staff. Tomorrow decides the rest of the year IMHO. Foles either light's it up or gets lit up.

It's never good for a team's development when you see coaches come and go. It's especially never good for a young QB's development. We've seen a lot of promising QB's lose momentum due to those changes happening year in and year out.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(11-09-2019, 09:26 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: I think one thing we can all agree, after Houston, 0-2, Foles out, Ramsey wanting out, it looked like full blown dumpster fire territory. I'd waited 9 months for this?!

But Minshew gave this team, City and fanbase something to rally around, some hope to build on for the season. Hes not done himself any harm this season and hes made a hell of an impression in these 9 weeks.
He gave us hope most of all!

(11-09-2019, 11:18 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: Michew is going to develop into a ver good NFL QB.

It's going to be great watching him any time he plays.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2019, 01:26 AM by pirkster.)

I feel good about what Minshew did for us when called up from the backup role.

Not sure what's so "problematic" that needs to be "fixed" at this stage of his early career.

He filled in admirably, and continues his growth from a more comfortable position now. As intended.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."