Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can Minshew's problems be fixed?

(11-04-2019, 12:42 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Bah...   we have inexperience across the board.  It isn't like you only have to fix the QB.

This! Calais aside, we dont have many vets who can show the younger guys how it's done. And its been like that for a long time now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I believe in Minshew 100x more than any other Jags QB I’ve ever seen.. He definitely has what it takes to play in this league. He will learn from this and get better. These are the qualities he possesses that make me confident that he will be fine:

- He can see the field well (extremely rare)

- Good anticipation and timing

- Good accuracy

- Good elusiveness escapability ( essential in today’s game)

- He’s got heart (this makes the entire team better as well)

He’s had a couple of bad games.. so what? He’s a damn rookie. I believe in this kid, and I think he’s our guy. This season is a wash, almost no chance to make the postseason. Now is his time to sit behind a seasoned veteran, take notes, and learn how to be a real pro. I am very hopeful for our future with Minshew.

I don't know. All I know is that Minshew needs to trust himself and his receivers to make plays and he absolutely HAS TO make quicker reads and get rid of the ball in a hurry. He can't sit back there all day, like he did yesterday.

(11-04-2019, 03:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't know. All I know is that Minshew needs to trust himself and his receivers to make plays and he absolutely HAS TO make quicker reads and get rid of the ball in a hurry. He can't sit back there all day, like he did yesterday.

He's going to have to take some deeper shots if teams keep playing press coverage.  It seems like he starts dancing around if he can't find somebody by his first or second quick read.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2019, 03:26 PM by Newton.)

(11-04-2019, 03:14 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't know. All I know is that Minshew needs to trust himself and his receivers to make plays and he absolutely HAS TO make quicker reads and get rid of the ball in a hurry. He can't sit back there all day, like he did yesterday.

Despite having a rough game, overall through the course of nine games, Minshew shown more than any other rookie quarterback in recent memory. The game plan that has seem to stop him is good coverage combine with keeping him in the pocket. However, I think that would be difficult for any rookie QB who has not worked in an offense extensively to know how to get to quick reads through tight windows. Plus, the game plan has not been adjusted well when the above scenario happens. For example, where are the screen passes and tight end over the middle? I think the coaching staff has done a poor job regarding game planning for when teams take this approach. Obviously, at the end of the day, it’s in the players hands, but I think that a combination of experience and better game planning will allow him to succeed wheb other teams employ this type of defensive strategy

His problems can be fixed. He needs to go to that QB teacher in California that Bortles was going to.

(11-04-2019, 03:25 PM)Rico Wrote:

He's going to have to take some deeper shots if teams keep playing press coverage.  It seems like he starts dancing around if he can't find somebody by his first or second quick read.

This seems to be a weak spot.  The Saints and just this past game they pressed up on the WRs a lot and Gardner seemed to hold onto the football more and in scramble mode more.  I saw one play where he missed a WR running naked to the left side of the field though.  He'll learn from this and hopefully have the chance to rebound after the bye.

(11-04-2019, 03:48 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 03:25 PM)Rico Wrote: He's going to have to take some deeper shots if teams keep playing press coverage.  It seems like he starts dancing around if he can't find somebody by his first or second quick read.

This seems to be a weak spot.  The Saints and just this past game they pressed up on the WRs a lot and Gardner seemed to hold onto the football more and in scramble mode more.  I saw one play where he missed a WR running naked to the left side of the field though.  He'll learn from this and hopefully have the chance to rebound after the bye.

I think the only way he plays after the bye is if Foles is/gets hurt.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-04-2019, 04:07 PM)Rico Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 03:48 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote: This seems to be a weak spot.  The Saints and just this past game they pressed up on the WRs a lot and Gardner seemed to hold onto the football more and in scramble mode more.  I saw one play where he missed a WR running naked to the left side of the field though.  He'll learn from this and hopefully have the chance to rebound after the bye.

Agreed.

(11-04-2019, 04:07 PM)Rico Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 03:48 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote: This seems to be a weak spot.  The Saints and just this past game they pressed up on the WRs a lot and Gardner seemed to hold onto the football more and in scramble mode more.  I saw one play where he missed a WR running naked to the left side of the field though.  He'll learn from this and hopefully have the chance to rebound after the bye.

So week 12?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

From my experience as a QB coach I would say he’s very natural at throwing. His motion is the same everytime. He throws with nice touch but also with enough zip. Those are the toughest throws to make. Over the backers but in front of the safeties.

He is streaky and he’s not afraid to get yards in chunks. He is not bothered by the pass rush and he always has his eyes downfield. He’s mobile and picks up first downs when he needs to.

I don’t think he has “issues” if anything he needs more reps as a starter. He was thrown to the wolves in week 1 and he did pretty dang good.

The first bad game by Foles and Minshew Mania will be back in full effect.

Minshew's problems will go away against th Colts. Thats when Foles returns as the starting QB.

Sounds like your judging a rookie as if he’s a 3 year vet. I haven’t seen much if anything that couldn’t be developed with a seasons worth of starts and an off season with the film.

(11-04-2019, 05:38 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: From my experience as a QB coach I would say he’s very natural at throwing. His motion is the same everytime. He throws with nice touch but also with enough zip. Those are the toughest throws to make. Over the backers but in front of the safeties.

He is streaky and he’s not afraid to get yards in chunks. He is not bothered by the pass rush and he always has his eyes downfield. He’s mobile and picks up first downs when he needs to.

I don’t think he has “issues” if anything he needs more reps as a starter. He was thrown to the wolves in week 1 and he did pretty dang good.

The first bad game by Foles and Minshew Mania will be back in full effect.

Makes sense to me. Is he really that broken?

(11-04-2019, 03:27 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: His problems can be fixed. He needs to go to that QB teacher in California that Bortles was going to.

If he really is "broken" don't Brady and others go there?.Off season ...the Jags should pay the guy to help GMII!
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Minshew showed that he is what he is.  A rookie QB.  He did well doing his job as the backup QB.  He also displayed (in my opinion) the "rookie meltdown" in this past game.  I haven't re-watched or analyzed it much, but from watching the game on TV it looked like he was holding the ball too long, tried to "make something happen" a-la Watson and made several poor throws.  The accuracy just wasn't there in that game.

I'm not going to say that it was all on him.  Receivers dropped and/or missed several balls that should have been caught, but the accuracy and "putting the ball in the right spot" was just not there.

Coach Marrone has said that he is going to look at the "whole body of work" that each QB has in order to make his decision.  I think the proper decision at this point is to play the veteran and let the rookie sit and learn.  I say that not because of this last game, but because of experience and ability.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-04-2019, 12:08 PM)Jagwired Wrote: The only problem that dude has, which is lack of experience at this level is only fixable by getting more. Really simple. Otherwise, he has in his short time playing already shown most of all the attributes you would look for in a franchise QB.

+1

He was on the injury report this week with a sore throwing shoulder. Could that have played a factor?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(11-04-2019, 12:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 12:13 PM)JackCity Wrote: He was actually checking down too often yesterday imo

Yeah. I got that impression too. 

Pressure had him a bit rattled and reluctant to keep an eye downfield. I have a feeling the all 22 will show a number of open guys downfield that weren't seen by the QB as he was either evading pressure or overly anticipating pressure.

Of course there have also been instances where he holds the ball too long looking downfield and even the checkdown is then gone from viability -  as well as the other poster eluded.

For the first time the pressure seemed to get to him a bit and I don't just mean on the field. I think he started to feel the weight of the expectations that have grown from his previous performances. Even in the Saints game where he wasn't extremely productive, he never looked rattled. He looked a little rattled yesterday. Especially late in the game.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I’ve told people that Minshew reminds me of Romo and Romo reminded me of Favre. Gunslingers. I remember Favre talking about Romo once and saying guys like them feel like they have to make up for the team around them. Look at the Minshew scramble and big throw along with the diving first down. The same plays that make you laugh will make you cry.
Everything good that happened on offense yesterday was due to Minshew’s playmaking ability. He felt pressed to make those plays late in the game, down 16. As a rookie gunslinger, it’s going to happen.

Minshew doesn't need fixing. He's already played at a higher overall level than any rookie QB not named "Watson" in recent memory and clear levels above Murray, Jones, Haskins from last year's draft. If he would've had 1st Round pedigree, no one would be getting antsy and everyone would relax and let him grow and improve and we;d all feel we got the best QB available in the last two drafts. I think it's a mistake to shove journeyman Foles out there in Indy, but I suppose it may serve the purpose of letting the Rock Star pressure wear off and let GM15 catch his breath and reset. May be the last chance he gets to do this for the next 12 years or so.