Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
London Chargers?

(11-05-2019, 05:27 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 11:05 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Personally, I don't quite understand the struggle in LA for the Chargers. They will eventually be playing in the same stadium as the Rams, so its no different than the Jets/Giants. In a few years when the Rams are in salary cap hell, the Chargers will probably be the better team anyway.

My cousin is a lifelong San Diego resident and Chargers fan, so I asked him to explain why the Chargers were a team without a home field advantage (50% plus of the fans attending are typically non-Chargers fans).  The historic fan base is located in San Diego, Orange and Riverside counties and in Tijuana, Mexico.  And the stadium is in Carson (further North near Long Beach) so traveling to games would be a lot like driving to east Orlando (115 Mi) for Jaguar games.  L.A. had trouble supporting two teams back in the 80's when they had the Raiders and Rams.  And a lot of Chargers fans (my cousin included) are still bitter about the way the whole move was handled.  Unlike many cities who lose their team or are threatened to have their team relocated, San Diego supported the Chargers with well-above average attendance, at least according to him.  Apparently, the Spanos family wanted out of San Diego for whatever reason, and took their chance when they got it.

San Diego county/city saw the 49ers and Rams each start building their own stadiums and said "why not us?"

Apparently the Spanos family doesn't have nearly as much disposable capital as the other NFL owners, so they weren't able to build their own.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I wonder how these folks going to 1 game, or 2 a year would feel about paying for 10 games all of a sudden. Would the support be there then? The ticket pricing would surely have to come down, the novelty would wear off for sure if a full time team played there.. Would the international UK games go away then? How about when they go 3-13 as an expansion team? How do you handle road games? The logistics will never match up well until we get some form of travel that is inexpensive and very fast. Even then, dealing with the time zone change and quick turnarounds the following week is rough on teams(Why most have bye weeks after the London game) and I don't see how you will ever make it viable. All the NFL sees is green.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 10:54 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(11-05-2019, 01:51 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 01:42 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Check out the fans within this Chargers Home Game.

Damn..... what a great fan base... traveling all the way to LA to see their team get worked

While the Packers do have a good fanbase, most of those fans actually live in California.  Just like the Steelers, all of us left Pittsburgh after college to find decent paying jobs.  Years ago all of those rust belt and blue collar cities saw a heavy migration out so the pics give the impression they are all jumping on planes and following the team but in all reality they are living right their in LA.  This is evident since they are not milky white and obese.  The pic below illustrates the Packer fans that reside in Wisconsin
[Image: 7f6c7a63d83eb11a72263faa6e6989af.jpg]

(11-05-2019, 01:42 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [Image: EIenH88VUAAsr9W.jpg]

[Image: EIenH-kU0AAgIsL.jpg]

^ Is this Jax or LA? 

Lol, sorry, I just couldnt resist.

Cincinnati stadium is majority opponent fans too, especially when the Steelers are in town.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2019, 11:24 AM by Kane.)

(11-06-2019, 10:50 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 01:51 PM)Kane Wrote: Damn..... what a great fan base... traveling all the way to LA to see their team get worked

While the Packers do have a good fanbase, most of those fans actually live in California.  Just like the Steelers, all of us left Pittsburgh after college to find decent paying jobs.  Years ago all of those rust belt and blue collar cities saw a heavy migration out so the pics give the impression they are all jumping on planes and following the team but in all reality they are living right their in LA.  This is evident since they are not milky white and obese.  The pic below illustrates the Packer fans that reside in Wisconsin
That many GB fans live in LA? I suppose it is a huge city that could have large groups of any teams fanbase....

I wasn't paying attention to skin tone lol
25k GB fans easily in that soccer stadium though.... some had to make the flight right?

(11-06-2019, 02:12 PM)jagherd Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 01:42 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [Image: EIenH88VUAAsr9W.jpg]

[Image: EIenH-kU0AAgIsL.jpg]

^ Is this Jax or LA? 

Cincinnati stadium is majority opponent fans too, especially when the Steelers are in town.

Last year I went to the Jags Skins game...
It was awful how many more Skins fans were there than Jax fans. Late season so heat wasn't an issue. Both teams were bad, so it was a winnable game. There were tons of empty seats too.
I was surrounded by burgundy and gold.... It was sad.

(11-05-2019, 01:43 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 12:58 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Chargers to London is gaining steam. Good thing Spanos beat Khan to the money prize.  Jaguars can squash the moving talk, stuck in Duval County for a very long time.

LA Jaguars, debuting September 2023.

Nah, I don't think they put a second team in LA again.

Which, I mean, doesn't matter, because they're not going to move the Chargers out so quickly. As much as Kroenke wants the LA market all to himself (and, let's be real, he has it), that 20-year lease is a lot of money.

As to other posters asking why SD fans aren't driving up to see the Chargers, one of the biggest reasons is that the fans were taken for granted and slapped in the face. Even back when I lived there (2007-2010), there was a sense that relocation would happen sooner or later, but moving just up the road to LA then making overtures about fans still being able to see the Chargers play was ridiculous. I think Spanos was banking on a large portion of his existing fan base going up north on Sundays, and I think he was somewhere between naive and an idiot to assume that would happen.

Or he just didn't care and assumed shared revenue plus the exposure of being in LA would take care of it. Whichever.

These dumb rumors pop up every year when the London games come up on the schedule.

And every year they are proven to be nothing but dumb rumors.

Unless the league expands and puts a whole division in the UK and/or nearby mainland Europe, it ain't happening.

(11-07-2019, 11:22 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 10:50 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: While the Packers do have a good fanbase, most of those fans actually live in California.  Just like the Steelers, all of us left Pittsburgh after college to find decent paying jobs.  Years ago all of those rust belt and blue collar cities saw a heavy migration out so the pics give the impression they are all jumping on planes and following the team but in all reality they are living right their in LA.  This is evident since they are not milky white and obese.  The pic below illustrates the Packer fans that reside in Wisconsin
That many GB fans live in LA? I suppose it is a huge city that could have large groups of any teams fanbase....

I wasn't paying attention to skin tone lol
25k GB fans easily in that soccer stadium though.... some had to make the flight right?

(11-06-2019, 02:12 PM)jagherd Wrote: ^ Is this Jax or LA? 

Last year I went to the Jags Skins game...
It was awful how many more Skins fans were there than Jax fans. Late season so heat wasn't an issue. Both teams were bad, so it was a winnable game. There were tons of empty seats too.

I lived out in southern california for a bit as well and there is definitely a divide between LA and San Diego and the two don't mix. If told they live in southern california, San Diego folks will make it very clear that they arent to be lumped in with LA. Couple that with Spanos giving them them finger and it isn't surprising at all that San Diego locals refuse to drive up to LA to support an LA Chargers team. I doubt Spanos expected a huge contingent to follow the team. Even though I dont live in Jacksonville anymore, if the Jags were to leave, I wouldnt continue to support them. Would either ditch the NFL entirely or slowly go back to being a Dolphins fan who I rooted for before the Jags became a team.

As far as the picture of the packers fans in LA, a lot of those folks dont look like they are from wisconsin. A lot of those folks look hispanic. Probably LA locals that picked the Packers as their team growing up. I never believed teams like the Packers, Steelers, Cowboys, etc... travelled well but instead just had fans everywhere as they are popular teams.

(11-07-2019, 11:22 AM)Kane Wrote: Last year I went to the Jags Skins game...

You must have been in one of the '31 or '32 visitor sections.  There were zero 'skins fans in my section for that game except the one I brought with me.