Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Nick Foles To Start Jaguars Game @ Colts On Nov. 17

(11-05-2019, 08:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 07:55 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't have a problem with the decision.  I don't think that it has anything to do with the coach "saving his butt" or any of that.

Nick Foles was brought in to be the starting QB not just for this season, but for the next few seasons at least.

The backup position prior to this season was a big question and many (including myself) questioned why they didn't bring someone else in.  Prior to the season I would have thought that at best Minshew might be on the practice squad.  Obviously the coaching staff (the people that actually do this for a living and know more than the message board armchair coaches) saw something more and took the risk of placing Minshew on the final 53.

I don't think that many would have predicted that the 6th round "project" would be so good.  In fact, people were "up in arms" over the decision and there are many that still want to fire the coaching staff and the whole front office, yet many of those same people would probably say that the front office and coaching staff were "brilliant" to make a 6th round pick the primary backup.

My point is, Nick Foles is a veteran with plenty of experience.  He was brought here to be THE starting QB for the next few years, that's why he got the contract that he did.  Do I agree with that position?  Not really.  Gardner Minshew is a 6th round draft pick and a rookie.  He made the team as a backup QB and performed well.  He is going back to the position that he filled when the season started.  The team is going back to the quarterback that they acquired via free agency to be THE starter for the next few years.

Though it's not "popular" I think that it's the right thing to do at this point.
He was brought in to be the starter. Correct. So why did the Seahawks start a rookie in Russel Wilson instead of Matt Flynn who they paid to be the starter?

Sometimes your plans change. This move is 100% to save the coaches jobs and it’s pretty obvious. Marrone can’t afford to have rookie games like the one Minshew had EVEN if those bad rookie games will help Minshew in the future.

Two huge differences...

1. Wilson was a 3rd round pick... not a 6th round pick.

2. Flynn was paid a minimal veteran contract worth $870,000. Foles is being paid $88 mil including $50 mil guaranteed.
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 12:12 AM by Eric1.)

(11-05-2019, 11:51 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: He was brought in to be the starter. Correct. So why did the Seahawks start a rookie in Russel Wilson instead of Matt Flynn who they paid to be the starter?

Sometimes your plans change. This move is 100% to save the coaches jobs and it’s pretty obvious. Marrone can’t afford to have rookie games like the one Minshew had EVEN if those bad rookie games will help Minshew in the future.

Two huge differences...

2. Flynn was paid a minimal veteran contract worth $870,000. Foles is being paid $88 mil including $50 mil guaranteed.

No, Flynn was making a hell of a lot more than that..

"The Seahawks reached agreement Sunday with [font=Georgia,]Matt Flynn on a three-year deal, bringing one of the most wanted -- yet unproven -- free agents to the Pacific Northwest to try and solidify Seattle's QB position.[/font]

The contract is worth $26 million with $10 million guaranteed, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter."

Seahawks ended up paying him $14.5m in total for basically nothing.

I understand it, but not happy about it.
Those poo-pooing Minshew as hitting a wall must have missed his performance against the Jets just two Sundays ago. It was as good a performance as I've ever seen in my 24 years as a Jaguars fan. If Foles can top that game, I'll be shocked.

And some of you guys can choke on this whole draft bias garbage. If we were a Cardinals board and we had taken GM15 with the 1st overall pick and he played like this, no one would be regretting the pick.

(11-06-2019, 12:05 AM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: I understand it, but not happy about it.
Those poo-pooing Minshew as hitting a wall must have missed his performance against the Jets just two Sundays ago. It was as good a performance as I've ever seen in my 24 years as a Jaguars fan. If Foles can top that game, I'll be shocked.

And some of you guys can choke on this whole draft bias garbage. If we were a Cardinals board and we had taken GM15 with the 1st overall pick and he played like this, no one would be regretting the pick.

You mean the 1-7 Jets who just got beat by the hapless Dolphins? That is a very bad team.

(11-05-2019, 08:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:08 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Whatever helps you sleep at night.

If this move is to "save the coaches jobs" do you really think that they are going to start inferior players?
Not sure what the first part has to do with my response to you but ok.

I think the coaches believe they need to win now in order to save their jobs. They could play the young kid who also gives them a chance to win (went 4-4 as a starter) but it would also allow Gardner the chance to develop. The best thing for this franchise is to finally find a franchise QB to build around. Is that Minshew? Who knows but having him play the rest of the games will help you find out faster than watching him hold a clipboard.

I believe that if the coaches weren’t on the hotseat, Minshew would still be the starter.

I completely agree with this take. If Marrone isn't coaching for his job, Minshew is taking the snaps.

I think a Minshew bromance is clouding some people's minds. Pack away the jorts for now.

(11-06-2019, 12:53 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: I think a Minshew bromance is clouding some people's minds.  Pack away the jorts for now.

The same can easily be said for Foles and his 4 game run in 2017 that is clouding people's minds, rather than looking at his overall body of work.

(11-06-2019, 01:07 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 12:53 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: I think a Minshew bromance is clouding some people's minds.  Pack away the jorts for now.

The same can easily be said for Foles and his 4 game run in 2017 that is clouding people's minds, rather than looking at his overall body of work.

Like it or not, that is our only 2 options. Neither is great, but it's still better than what we've had in the last several years.

(11-06-2019, 01:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:07 AM)Eric1 Wrote: The same can easily be said for Foles and his 4 game run in 2017 that is clouding people's minds, rather than looking at his overall body of work.

Like it or not, that is our only 2 options. Neither is great, but it's still better than what we've had in the last several years.

Which is why you go with the 23 year old rookie with upside/promise, over the average at best, injury prone, stop gap QB who has already peaked.

But that's fine, lets see what Foles can do.. He better be at least a top 10 QB+ and help us win out, or else...

We just watched a 6th round rookie QB with zero 1st team reps going into the season, lead us to a 4-4 record as the starter. If Foles is suppose to be so good, his record as the starter for this team should look far better than .500 going forward. Basically, like I already said, we better win out the rest of this season if Foles is the QB.

Otherwise, what's the point of changing QBs if Foles is going to just produce the same level of production, or worse than a 6th round rookie..

This coaching staff/front office basically backed themselves into a corner with making Foles the starter now. It's literally win now, or else you gotta go. No more excuses.. They think Foles gives them the best chance to win, so it better happen.

(11-06-2019, 03:02 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Like it or not, that is our only 2 options. Neither is great, but it's still better than what we've had in the last several years.

Which is why you go with the 23 year old rookie with upside/promise, over the average at best, injury prone, stop gap QB who has already peaked.

But that's fine, lets see what Foles can do.. He better be at least a top 10 QB+ and help us win out, or else...

We just watched a 6th round rookie QB with zero 1st team reps going into the season, lead us to a 4-4 record as the starter. If Foles is suppose to be so good, his record as the starter for this team should look far better than .500 going forward. Basically, like I already said, we better win out the rest of this season if Foles is the QB.

Otherwise, what's the point of changing QBs if Foles is going to just produce the same level of production, or worse than a 6th round rookie..

This coaching staff/front office basically backed themselves into a corner with making Foles the starter now. It's literally win now, or else you gotta go. No more excuses.. They think Foles gives them the best chance to win, so it better happen.
This is a little intense lol look before the season started nobody even knew who minshew was. They were confident enough in Foles to pay him what they did. He got hurt, they went 4-4 with minshew. A fine result in anyones mind between week 1 and 2. You need to realistically go 6-1 to have a shot at wildcard. And it is just that, a shot. Not a great one but until there is no chance, you have to throw Foles out there and see if he makes this team better.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I find it odd how invested folks are in this QB decision. What impact will it really have? 

Given the state of our roster right now and the performances the entire team has turned in, neither of these QBs is good enough to overcome the overall deficiencies.

Backdooring our way into the playoffs would be a minor miracle with either guy and actually winning a postseason game would be nothing short of divine intervention.

(11-06-2019, 07:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I find it odd how invested folks are in this QB decision. What impact will it really have? 

Given the state of our roster right now and the performances the entire team has turned in, neither of these QBs is good enough to overcome the overall deficiencies.

Backdooring our way into the playoffs would be a minor miracle with either guy and actually winning a postseason game would be nothing short of divine intervention.
Agreed. I think people are just frustrated. And its hard to find where we should point the finger.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

(11-05-2019, 11:56 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 11:51 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Two huge differences...

No, Flynn was making a hell of a lot more than that..

"The Seahawks reached agreement Sunday with [font=Georgia,]Matt Flynn on a three-year deal, bringing one of the most wanted -- yet unproven -- free agents to the Pacific Northwest to try and solidify Seattle's QB position.[/font]

The contract is worth $26 million with $10 million guaranteed, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter."

Oops... my bad.

I checked out Spotrac, but I see now they're only going back to 2015 where Flynn signed with the Seahawks back in 2012.

It's still hardly the same thing tho.

(11-06-2019, 12:24 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:17 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Not sure what the first part has to do with my response to you but ok.

I think the coaches believe they need to win now in order to save their jobs. They could play the young kid who also gives them a chance to win (went 4-4 as a starter) but it would also allow Gardner the chance to develop. The best thing for this franchise is to finally find a franchise QB to build around. Is that Minshew? Who knows but having him play the rest of the games will help you find out faster than watching him hold a clipboard.

I believe that if the coaches weren’t on the hotseat, Minshew would still be the starter.

I completely agree with this take. If Marrone isn't coaching for his job, Minshew is taking the snaps.

I highly doubt this. Don't see at all.

Foles is the right decision at this point, and nothing about Marrone suggests a guy that would make a totally different call just because he's worried about getting fired. Moreover, this is not just about winning now, but also about looking at our future because the Jaguars must know precisely who they have with their $88 million investment. They know precisely what they have with Minshew. 
'02

There are some really interesting comments in this thread...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(11-06-2019, 08:35 AM)Rico Wrote: There are some really interesting comments in this thread...

I’m definitely a minshew fan, but I had long thought we would return to Foles, right or wrong. At this point, I’m trying to just keep an open mind. If somehow Foles sparks us to the playoffs, then I think we made the right move. If Foles has a similar or inferior record compared to minshew, then Minshew is the starter next year or late in the year this year.

Well i'm days late (grad school) but I can't say i'm surprised with this decision. It sucks, but here's to hoping Foles can bring a savvy to the offense that Minshew doesn't have just yet.

I don't think this will be permanent. (No kidding) I hope Foles doesn't get hurt behind this Oline and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him put the Jags on a win streak these next few weeks, if such is possible. But it sucks because up until London, Minshew was one of the few exciting parts of this team. Sucks he's on the bench now.

It's up to Foles to get them to the AFC division title is such is still possible (barely, I think). Marrone has to hope for that too; he's gone if they don't make the playoffs, I do believe that.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 09:31 AM by Cleatwood.)

(11-05-2019, 11:51 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 08:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: He was brought in to be the starter. Correct. So why did the Seahawks start a rookie in Russel Wilson instead of Matt Flynn who they paid to be the starter?

Two huge differences...

Well you're wrong on point number two so you're off to a good start.

Regarding your first point, both Wilson and Minshew were brought in to be backups with the hope of turning into something better. You mean to tell me you think the Seahawks drafted Wilson in round 3 to be the starter? Nope.

Carroll has never and will never coach scared. He didn't care that they gave Matt Flynn a 26 million dollar contract (Not 870K) to be the starter.

(11-06-2019, 07:43 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 11:56 PM)Eric1 Wrote: No, Flynn was making a hell of a lot more than that..

Oops... my bad.

I checked out Spotrac, but I see now they're only going back to 2015 where Flynn signed with the Seahawks back in 2012.

It's still hardly the same thing tho.

(11-06-2019, 12:24 AM)TJBender Wrote: I completely agree with this take. If Marrone isn't coaching for his job, Minshew is taking the snaps.

I highly doubt this. Don't see at all.

Foles is the right decision at this point, and nothing about Marrone suggests a guy that would make a totally different call just because he's worried about getting fired. Moreover, this is not just about winning now, but also about looking at our future because the Jaguars must know precisely who they have with their $88 million investment. They know precisely what they have with Minshew. 
Which is what exactly? What do they know they have in Minshew?

I knew Marrone would go back to Foles because he has consistently played every single scenario safe or scared.

(11-06-2019, 07:08 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I find it odd how invested folks are in this QB decision. What impact will it really have? 

Been saying it for a while, just enjoy the entertainment. 

We have so much youth and talent that the games are very entertaining but riddled with mistakes. 

This org is in a great spot! We have a wealth of young talent and a bunch of draft capital. We need to confirm what to do with that draft capital. Starting Foles answers a lot of questions.

That’s the frustrating part; if you’re paying a QB 88 million dollars, he better be the kind that *can* overcome those deficiencies.

Our problems aren't with the QB position. It is a pleasant surprise to have Minshew available and he will work hard no matter if it is starting or backing up. It is cliché of course, but the guy wants to work and be a starter. Nothing wrong with competition.

Our problems is the inexperience and talent gaps we have sprinkled throughout the roster. The team has done a decent job but the build moving to a rebuild effort has been a patchwork shotgun approach that has never really fixed anything. I enjoyed 2017 but really that was the confluence of bad luck for our opponents and stretches of good play with our team.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.