Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Too early for CAP talk - 2020?

Star 

Where do that Jaguars go in 2020 for Cap Space?

M.Dareus - 22.5M Cap Number for 2020
(Dead Money 2.5M / Savings 20M)

C.Campbell - 17.5M 
(Dead Money 2.5M / Savings 15M)

AJ.Bouye - 15M
(Dead Money 4M / Savings 11.5M)

M.Lee - 8.7M
(Dead Money 3.5 / Savings 5.3M)

B.Linder - 8M
(Dead Money - 0 / Savings 8M)

DJ.Hayden - 7.6M
(Dead Money 1.6 / Savings 6M)

J.Ryan - 6.2M
(Dead Money 250K / Savings 6M)

J.Swaim - 4.3M
(Dead Money 250K / Savings 4M)

Abry Jones - 4M
(Dead Money 0 / Savings 4M)

Pending any type of restructures or extensions IMO this is where the Jags can go for cap savings in 2020.

Cuts: (Savings 45M / Dead Money 7.8M)
Dareus
Lee
Hayden
Ryan

Gains if they restructure Campbell and AJ. 
Linder for what he does is worth the 8M IMO. 
Swaim and Abry are roll players but worth the salary as well IMO.

*A.NORWELL - 14.5M
(Dead Money 9M / Savings 5.5M)

Norwell is too much of a hit so a restructure is warranted here. He is not the answer at LG.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Lee's gotta go.

Ryan and Swaim certainly can go.

The one guy you can't touch is Bouye.
'02

Dareus, Lee, and Swaim are the easy cuts.

Hayden and Bouye are off limits.

I’d like to give Ryan another chance, but if he doesn’t look like he’s progressing then I wouldn’t care if we cut him too.

Dareus and Lee can go, or maybe dareus can sign for a more reasonable number. Campbell, if he keeps playing like he has maybe restructures and adds another couple of years to his contact to lower his number, maybe more for Bouye and Hayden. Bouye and Hayden are young enough that another 3-4 year extension for each to lower their near term cap number with the last year being more of a team option would be okay, if they're willing. Ryan could be done, we'll see in the off-season. Swaim seems ripe for cutting at that number, too.

What if Norwell refuses to re-structure? If he does, I say cut him. Dead money or not, we can find better. Take any savings we can get. He's been awful this year and I can't justify paying him his current salary in 2020. Add that to Dareus, Lee, Swaim and Ryan and we've cut $40 million off the cap.

No brainer to cut: Lee

No brainer to keep: Hayden, Bouye, Linder, Jones

Keep if they re-structure: Campbell, Dareus

Most likely keep: Ryan

Most likely cut: Swaim

Hardest decision: Norwell (has way underperformed his salary, but a huge amount of dead money.

You people have no appreciation for what Dareus brings this defense.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-10-2019, 01:10 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: No brainer to cut: Lee

Hardest decision: Norwell (has way underperformed his salary, but a huge amount of dead money.

No way you cut Norwell. Competent lineman are needles in the proverbial haystack of the NFL.. I agree he is overpaid but you have to hold on to him or at least try to restructure.

(11-10-2019, 02:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You people have no appreciation for what Dareus brings this defense.

22 million is just to much to pay a defensive tackle. As has been said, if the number can be made reasonable that's fine, but that number can't be brought into next year, it's just too high.

(11-10-2019, 02:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You people have no appreciation for what Dareus brings this defense.

I agree, but that's not what this is about. The way his contract was restructured this past offseason is clearly meant to put him into FA in 2020. He's essentially in a contract year and he wants one last big pay day. One last big contract before his body finally and completely gives out. And though he absolutely deserves that pay day, I don't think we should be the team to give it to him.

I think we do. 

I don’t think he brings $22M-worth to it though.

I’m keeping Dareus at all cost

No reason to cut Hayden yet.   No reason to cut Campbell unless he drops off or sustains major injury.

Just draft a stud NT if there is one that can effectively play Dareus' role without a huge drop off.
Lee and Swaim are basically no-brainers to release. Ryan may be needed if Jack doesn't get it together.

That's enough. (Dareus, Lee, Swaim)

The cap will be fine after that and we've got draft capital to add at least two immediate starters.

(11-10-2019, 05:18 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

I think we do. 

His skills elevate the play of Campbell and the linebackers. As long as he can play keeping him should be a priority.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-10-2019, 06:37 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 05:18 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I think we do. 

His skills elevate the play of Campbell and the linebackers. As long as he can play keeping him should be a priority.

I have a huge appreciation for what Dareus does. Our run game goes to [BLEEP] when he's out.

I just want to pay a rookie to do it instead. And yes,  realize that means at least a marginal drop off for at least some period of time. 

If Dareus wants to do a major restructure, that's great, but... I'm not super optimistic.

The only one that makes sense too cut is Lee, who cares how much cap space they have.. who are they going to spend all this extra money on?

(11-10-2019, 06:49 PM)Elitemajik Wrote: The only one that makes sense too cut is Lee, who cares how much cap space they have.. who are they going to spend all this extra money on
Ngakoue would be a good start. Maybe some free agency guard help, just don't overpay like with Norwell.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2019, 07:13 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Dareus is a really good player, but his cap number for 2020 is $22 million. There is no way we keep him at that number.

(11-10-2019, 02:33 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 01:10 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: No brainer to cut: Lee

No way you cut Norwell. Competent lineman are needles in the proverbial haystack of the NFL.. I agree he is overpaid but you have to hold on to him or at least try to restructure.

He has not been competent this year or last.

(11-10-2019, 06:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 06:37 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: His skills elevate the play of Campbell and the linebackers. As long as he can play keeping him should be a priority.

I have a huge appreciation for what Dareus does. Our run game goes to [BLEEP] when he's out.

I just want to pay a rookie to do it instead. And yes,  realize that means at least a marginal drop off for at least some period of time. 

If Dareus wants to do a major restructure, that's great, but... I'm not super optimistic.

Agreed.  Get me Javon Kinlaw or Derrick Brown or Marlon Davidson.  Raekwon Davis too.

(11-10-2019, 06:49 PM)Elitemajik Wrote: The only one that makes sense too cut is Lee, who cares how much cap space they have.. who are they going to spend all this extra money on?

Thank you. Its like they always want to release a player to save cap space. These players are producing. We are going to have to find someone to replace there productivity. Lee should have been cut. Campbell deserves to be paid. He is now the heart and soul. If he restructures to help that's great but we should try to allow him to retire here. We need to keep all Dareus and mostly everyone else until they stop producing or until we have the rookie or free agent replacement that is producing on the field on our team.