Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What would you do to the college football playoff?
This poll is closed.
Leave as-is, only power 5 should ever be invited
33.33%
1 33.33%
Proposal #1
0%
0 0%
Proposal #2
33.33%
1 33.33%
Something else, post below.
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Improve the college football playoffs.

(11-12-2019, 06:22 PM)JackCity Wrote: 5 conference winners  + best loser + best of group of 5 + one spot left over to whoever you think deserves it.

would you do that by adding a week to the season, or taking away one of the weeks that we already have?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2019, 09:27 PM by JackCity.)

(11-12-2019, 06:44 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 06:22 PM)JackCity Wrote: 5 conference winners  + best loser + best of group of 5 + one spot left over to whoever you think deserves it.

would you do that by adding a week to the season, or taking away one of the weeks that we already have?

I guess you'd have to add a week

Ps Throwing money on Bama to make the playoffs right now

(11-12-2019, 02:41 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Get rid of the meaningless bowl games and expand the playoffs.

Use the meaningless bowl games as playoff venues and make them less meaningless.

I still favor 8 teams in the playoff, that way G5 schools have a chance to get in and get exposure while possibly upsetting a few marquis opponents along the way.

I can't stand seeing the same teams year in year out, it's like the Pats in the SB. Whoop de poop.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2019, 11:15 AM by Kane.)

(11-12-2019, 05:48 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 05:03 PM)Kane Wrote: If you don't win your conference, do you deserve to go to the playoff?
I say no.
Don't care for the "but but bama only lost to the best team they deserve another shot"... nonsense...

Power 5
4 conference champions with best records go. Yes, one conference champion will be left out. Likely a weak Pac 12, Big 12, or ACC champion.
Solution for weaker conferences - schedule harder out of conference games.

Also, I think 9 conference games should be required. Which I believe is how the PAC 12 does it.

But that's just like.... my opinion man.

Should a 1 loss SEC conference loser, or non championship team get in over an undefeated or 1 loss PAC 12 champ?
Nope. Not in my opinion.

Expanding the playoffs to 8 teams allows in 2 or 3 or maybe 4 conf championship losers or non participants.

But what about Independents and MAC, SUN, AAC you say?
They get the "bowl" games. If they want a shot at the big dance, join a power 5 (ND would be good for Big10 I think, Louisville recently went from AAC to ACC so a school like UCF would be wise to do the same Big12 only has 10 teams, and sure could use a couple more to create divisions for their conf champ.)

But I doubt we see sweeping changes to the current system for awhile.
It seems to be working with a playoff atmosphere but essentially the same schtick we got from the BCS

Right now the only reason we have a power five is because selecting the playoff teams is left to humans and the humans believe there should be a power five. But it's not really written anywhere in the bylaws.

What you're saying is, it should be written.

I disagree.  I don't like punishing the kids who play for group of five teams or the fans for scheduling decisions that were made five or ten years ago.  You say they need to schedule tougher out of conference games. I think they are trying. but it takes two to tango and the other side has no incentive to tango.

Punishing the kids who play for group of five?

If they were better, they'd play for a better school and have a better shot.

The fans?! Really, punishing the fans? Give me a break.
I say the weaker power 5 conferences should schedule harder out of conference games, like when Michigan, USC, and FSU all decided to open vs Bama in recent years. And Oregon opened with Auburn. There are plenty of takers out there. Hell UF's AD recently took to Twitter to try and drum up some interest in those types of games.
And power 5 conferences should be forced to play more conference games.
1 cupcake (FCS) per schedule max.

And those at large or other 5 conferences, can make up the money in the bowl games. Which is all those bowl games are really about anyway.
When BYU goes undefeated they deserve a shot at the playoff, they deserve an outback bowl vs Mich St.

(11-13-2019, 11:11 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 05:48 PM)mikesez Wrote: Right now the only reason we have a power five is because selecting the playoff teams is left to humans and the humans believe there should be a power five. But it's not really written anywhere in the bylaws.

What you're saying is, it should be written.

I disagree.  I don't like punishing the kids who play for group of five teams or the fans for scheduling decisions that were made five or ten years ago.  You say they need to schedule tougher out of conference games. I think they are trying. but it takes two to tango and the other side has no incentive to tango.

Punishing the kids who play for group of five?

I say the weaker power 5 conferences should schedule harder out of conference games, like when Michigan, USC, and FSU all decided to open vs Bama in recent years. And Oregon opened with Auburn. There are plenty of takers out there. Hell UF's AD recently took to Twitter to try and drum up some interest in those types of games.

And those at large or other 5 conferences, can make up the money in the bowl games. Which is all those bowl games are really about anyway.
When BYU goes undefeated they deserve a shot at the playoff, they deserve an outback bowl vs Mich St.

I don't understand.
BYU would deserve a playoff game? Or they deserve a spot in the outback bowl? Or are you saying that the outback bowl should be a playoff game?

Nobody wants to see group of 5 teams get blown out every playoffs

(11-13-2019, 12:23 PM)JackCity Wrote: Nobody wants to see group of 5 teams get blown out every playoffs

Why are you sure they would get blown out?
What about UCF's win in 2017? What about Utah's win in 2008?

(11-13-2019, 02:19 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 12:23 PM)JackCity Wrote: Nobody wants to see group of 5 teams get blown out every playoffs

UCF would have been stomped on by any of the top 4 in the playoffs. 

Outliers happen in every sport

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2019, 03:54 PM by Kane.)

(11-13-2019, 11:36 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 11:11 AM)Kane Wrote: Punishing the kids who play for group of five?

I don't understand.
BYU would deserve a playoff game? Or they deserve a spot in the outback bowl? Or are you saying that the outback bowl should be a playoff game?

Sorry, typo. When BYU goes undefeated they don't deserve a shot at the playoff.
But they do deserve a decent bowl game.

If UCF or BYU play in a real conference, and go undefeated, they'd be a shoe in for the playoff.
It's simple.

(11-13-2019, 02:19 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Because ND went undefeated in 2012 and proved they didn't deserve their spot in the natty. And they were better than the UCF team and Utah team you point to.
And often when a really good BIG10 or SEC team misses playoff or BCS, they don't quite show up for their consolation bowl game.
Bama misses the natty, they mail it in for the sugar bowl, cuz no one cares about those games except the people making money from them (and stupid fans that think a sugar bowl or citrus bowl win means something)

(11-13-2019, 03:47 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 11:36 AM)mikesez Wrote: I don't understand.

Sorry, typo. When BYU goes undefeated they don't deserve a shot at the playoff.

If UCF or BYU play in a real conference, and go undefeated, they'd be a shoe in for the playoff.
It's simple.

(11-13-2019, 02:19 PM)mikesez Wrote: Why are you sure they would get blown out?

Because ND went undefeated in 2012 and proved they didn't deserve their spot in the natty. And they were better than the UCF team and Utah team you point to.
And often when a really good BIG10 or SEC team misses playoff or BCS, they don't quite show up for their consolation bowl game.
Bama misses the natty, they mail it in for the sugar bowl, cuz no one cares about those games except the people making money from them (and stupid fans that think a sugar bowl or citrus bowl win means something)

You can't be sure that the 2012 ND team was better than 2008 Utah or 2017 UCF.  
And you can't be sure about the outcome of games that never happened.
It's hypocritical to insist that BYU or UCF or Utah don't deserve a meaningful game, and then dismiss the result of the less meaningful game you gave them as, "well the other team didn't 'show up.'" That's a classic double bind.
And it's even more hypocritical to insist that the 2017 UCF team only deserved the Peach Bowl, but then insist that they shouldn't be joint national champs based on the peach bowl result.  The Colley Matrix put them at the top.  The NCAA record book says so too.  You can say that Alabama would have beat them.. sure... but it would be hypocritical to say that if you're one of the people who didn't want Alabama to play UCF in the first place.

Back to the topic at hand, I think change is needed to avoid these kinds of joint national titles in the future.

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2019, 01:02 PM by Kane.)

(11-14-2019, 12:17 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 03:47 PM)Kane Wrote: Sorry, typo. When BYU goes undefeated they don't deserve a shot at the playoff.

It's simple.

You can't be sure that the 2012 ND team was better than 2008 Utah or 2017 UCF.  
It's hypocritical to insist that BYU or UCF or Utah don't deserve a meaningful game, and then dismiss the result of the less meaningful game you gave them as, "well the other team didn't 'show up.'" That's a classic double bind.
And it's even more hypocritical to insist that the 2017 UCF team only deserved the Peach Bowl, but then insist that they shouldn't be joint national champs based on the peach bowl result.  The Colley Matrix put them at the top.  The NCAA record book says so too.  You can say that Alabama would have beat them.. sure... but it would be hypocritical to say that if you're one of the people who didn't want Alabama to play UCF in the first place.

Back to the topic at hand, I think change is needed to avoid these kinds of joint national titles in the future.

Boy... a lot to unpack here.
Yes, I can be sure that 2012 ND team was better. The roster had more NFL talent to start with.
I never said they don't deserve a meaningful game, I said with their schedule they don't deserve the playoffs. 
I am dismissive of bowl games in general as a money grab and it's very true that when big schools don't meet their BCS/Playoff hopes a lot of them tend to mail it in for their bowl games. It is what it is.
Co-National champs is a joke in the playoff era, and yeah they beat Auburn that year, nice close bowl game. Well deserved... they wouldn't have sniffed a victory vs Bama or Clemson or Georgia or OSU, or OU. You're kidding yourself.

But leave it to mikesez to be the voice of the little people. HAHAHA.

There is no longer a joint national title. That is some AP poll/BCS nonsense.
There is a playoff, the winner is the national champion. No matter what UCF says.

Honestly, the best improvement could be removing a committee from the equation and having a system set up like the NFL. Divisions, conferences, champions, simple.
Hell, you wanna include the little guys? 8 conferences, include the MAC and SUN. And they can be one and done when they get matched up with the real talent. I would love to watch Bama murder Boise St in the first round of college football playoff (said no one ever)

(11-14-2019, 01:01 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 12:17 PM)mikesez Wrote: You can't be sure that the 2012 ND team was better than 2008 Utah or 2017 UCF.  

Boy... a lot to unpack here.
Yes, I can be sure that 2012 ND team was better. The roster had more NFL talent to start with.
I never said they don't deserve a meaningful game, I said with their schedule they don't deserve the playoffs. 
I am dismissive of bowl games in general as a money grab and it's very true that when big schools don't meet their BCS/Playoff hopes a lot of them tend to mail it in for their bowl games. It is what it is.
Co-National champs is a joke in the playoff era, and yeah they beat Auburn that year, nice close bowl game. Well deserved... they wouldn't have sniffed a victory vs Bama or Clemson or Georgia or OSU, or OU. You're kidding yourself.

There is a playoff, the winner is the national champion. No matter what UCF says.

Honestly, the best improvement could be removing a committee from the equation and having a system set up like the NFL. Divisions, conferences, champions, simple.
Hell, you wanna include the little guys? 8 conferences, include the MAC and SUN. And they can be one and done when they get matched up with the real talent. I would love to watch Bama murder Boise St in the first round of college football playoff (said no one ever)

NCAA also says UCF and Bama share the title in 2017.
You'd have to add not one but probably two weeks to the season to get a true NFL style playoff.
I agree people don't want that.  No one wants to see the MAC winner go up against the SEC winner in a playoff game, most years. But if it's a strange year where the MAC winner is undefeated, and the SEC winner has 2 losses, a lot more people get interested.  
That's why my proposals say what they say.
No weeks added to the season.
10 conference champions.
The four conference champs that are highest on the Colley Matrix are the playoff teams.
No bye weeks. 
No laying down to duck out of a conference championship.
And 9 times out of 10, the four teams selected would be power 5 teams, like you wish for.  
But now we decide things only based on what happened on the field this year, not on people's opinions or what happened 20 years ago.

(11-14-2019, 01:58 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 01:01 PM)Kane Wrote: Boy... a lot to unpack here.

NCAA also says UCF and Bama share the title in 2017.
You'd have to add not one but probably two weeks to the season to get a true NFL style playoff.
I agree people don't want that.  No one wants to see the MAC winner go up against the SEC winner in a playoff game, most years. But if it's a strange year where the MAC winner is undefeated, and the SEC winner has 2 losses, a lot more people get interested.  
10 conference champions.
The four conference champs that are highest on the Colley Matrix are the playoff teams.
No bye weeks. 
And 9 times out of 10, the four teams selected would be power 5 teams, like you wish for.  
But now we decide things only based on what happened on the field this year, not on people's opinions or what happened 20 years ago.

I honestly don't care what NCAA and Colley Matrix say.
Champions are decided by championships.
UCF didn't play in one.

(11-14-2019, 02:02 PM)Kane Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 01:58 PM)mikesez Wrote: NCAA also says UCF and Bama share the title in 2017.
10 conference champions.
No bye weeks. 

I honestly don't care what NCAA and Colley Matrix say.
UCF didn't play in one.
I agree with that. Can't be a champion unless you won the championship game lol If that's the case, my Terps won the title last season. Prove me wrong!

However, the NCAA will NEVER do away with bowl games because they make them a ton of money. I think bowl games  are the absolute worst part about all of the college sports. They mean absolutely nothing in terms of your season and record but it just gives these schools more money to not give to the players.

Expand the college football playoff. Give the top 4 teams a BYE and roll from there. All this "Well every game means something is college football" is such crap because if you have name recognition, you can lose and still be in. Bama is going to find a way back into this playoff only because they're Bama.

(11-14-2019, 02:13 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 02:02 PM)Kane Wrote: I honestly don't care what NCAA and Colley Matrix say.
UCF didn't play in one.
I agree with that. Can't be a champion unless you won the championship game lol If that's the case, my Terps won the title last season. Prove me wrong!

However, the NCAA will NEVER do away with bowl games because they make them a ton of money. I think bowl games  are the absolute worst part about all of the college sports. They mean absolutely nothing in terms of your season and record but it just gives these schools more money to not give to the players.

Expand the college football playoff. Give the top 4 teams a BYE and roll from there. All this "Well every game means something is college football" is such crap because if you have name recognition, you can lose and still be in. Bama is going to find a way back into this playoff only because they're Bama.

You're seriously going to compare a 7 loss Maryland team to an undefeated UCF team?

Is there a computer algorithm or human polls that puts Maryland on top for 2018?

I agree Bama shouldn't be sneaking into the 4 team playoff.  I agree name recognition shouldn't count for anything. I have a solution to both problems.  Two, actually.  I don't think you have to add weeks to do it.  Why do you want to add weeks?  I'd be afraid the quality of play would diminish.

(11-14-2019, 03:27 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 02:13 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I agree with that. Can't be a champion unless you won the championship game lol If that's the case, my Terps won the title last season. Prove me wrong!

You're seriously going to compare a 7 loss Maryland team to an undefeated UCF team?

Is there a computer algorithm or human polls that puts Maryland on top for 2018?

I agree Bama shouldn't be sneaking into the 4 team playoff.  I agree name recognition shouldn't count for anything. I have a solution to both problems.  Two, actually.  I don't think you have to add weeks to do it.  Why do you want to add weeks?  I'd be afraid the quality of play would diminish.
Yo..... It's a joke JDub. Relax.

Adding weeks? Maybe 1 additional week to make sure we really do have the best team in college football win. Not to mention it adds parody and the NCAAMB tournament can tell you that parody draws ratings.

So we'd rather have the same usual suspects in the playoffs, and sometimes end up getting blanked?

not this body.

(11-14-2019, 03:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 03:27 PM)mikesez Wrote: You're seriously going to compare a 7 loss Maryland team to an undefeated UCF team?

Yo..... It's a joke JDub. Relax.

Adding weeks? Maybe 1 additional week to make sure we really do have the best team in college football win. Not to mention it adds parody and the NCAAMB tournament can tell you that parody draws ratings.

I am relaxed.  This is me relaxed.  ISWYDT.

4 seems to be working in the sense that we haven't had many, if any, examples of a team being left out that everyone thought might be the best team in the country.

I think 8 could work (5 major conference championship + 3 more with maybe one of those 3 being best non major team). The downside is the more you expand the playoffs, the less meaningful regular season games become. We've already seen that with the expansion to 4. The biggest games have lost a little luster. Two years ago when undefeated Bama played Auburn at the end of the year and lost, you knew the game didnt really matter for Bama. This years LSU-Bama game, meant more for Bama. LSU losing that game on the road probably wouldnt have knocked them out of the playoffs. Had more meaning for Bama but they are still right there. Penn St losing to Minnesota last week didnt really do much to derail them as if they win out (beating OSU and then rematching Minnesota in the Big10 title game) realistically they are in. Same with Georgia losing to South Carolina. Their season doesnt really change with that loss.

Anything more than 8 and you may as well not even have a regular season. LSU, Alabama, Ohio St, Penn St, Oklahoma, etc... they are all in. Conference championship games become essentially meaningless. The LSU-Bama game this year would be meaningless. The Ohio St - Penn St game in two weekends becomes basically meaningless. I suppose Penn St losing could knock them out but probably not. It would be too much like the NFL. I know the Patriots, Ravens, Niners, etc... are making the playoffs this year. Not being a fan of either team, why would I have any interest in their remaining regular season games? Am I supposed to care if they get homefield advantage or what their playoff seeding is? I don't. Just fast forward me to the playoffs at this point.

(11-15-2019, 09:19 AM)rfc17 Wrote: 4 seems to be working in the sense that we haven't had many, if any, examples of a team being left out that everyone thought might be the best team in the country.  

I think 8 could work (5 major conference championship + 3 more with maybe one of those 3 being best non major team).  The downside is the more you expand the playoffs, the less meaningful regular season games become.  We've already seen that with the expansion to 4.  The biggest games have lost a little luster.  Two years ago when undefeated Bama played Auburn at the end of the year and lost, you knew the game didnt really matter for Bama.  This years LSU-Bama game, meant more for Bama.  LSU losing that game on the road probably wouldnt have knocked them out of the playoffs.  Had more meaning for Bama but they are still right there.  Penn St losing to Minnesota last week didnt really do much to derail them as if they win out (beating OSU and then rematching Minnesota in the Big10 title game) realistically they are in.  Same with Georgia losing to South Carolina.  Their season doesnt really change with that loss.  

Anything more than 8 and you may as well not even have a regular season.  LSU, Alabama, Ohio St, Penn St, Oklahoma, etc... they are all in.  Conference championship games become essentially meaningless.  The LSU-Bama game  this year would be meaningless.  The Ohio St - Penn St game in two weekends becomes basically meaningless.  I suppose Penn St losing could knock them out but probably not.  It would be too much like the NFL.  I know the Patriots, Ravens, Niners, etc... are making the playoffs this year.  Not being a fan of either team, why would I have any interest in their remaining regular season games?  Am I supposed to care if they get homefield advantage or what their playoff seeding is?  I don't.  Just fast forward me to the playoffs at this point.
Except having 8 doesn't diminish the regular season at all. It just allows for the SEC bias to be diminished and gives another team a shot. What if Baylor, Clemson, OSU and LSU run the table? Are all 4 in? So that leaves out 1 loss Bama, 1 loss Oregon, 1 loss Georgia?