Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rudolph, Garrett and DeCastro...

(11-15-2019, 02:52 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: From what I have seen most of the punishments handed out so far by the NFL are justified.

Myles Garrett - Suspended Indefinitely without pay - I would make it 16 games not including the post-season.
Maurkice Pouncey - Suspended 3 games without pay
Larry Ogunjobi - Suspended 1 game without pay - I think 3 games would have been more appropriate.

It doesn't really matter as far as "who started it".  It was garbage time and not justified at all.

I don't think Ogunjobi warranted more than a game. He bumped the guy from behind, he didn't body slam him or throw any punches or kicks. Pretty minor and actually a bit funny.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-15-2019, 03:12 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: After first viewing of the altercation I didn't even notice that Rudolph had been grabbing and twisting Garrett's helmet, but he clearly was, and he should be suspended, too, even if not for as long. The NFL continues to exhibit problems on issues like this. Just because he got tackled late isn't any excuse for that kind of action, and it led directly to what happened.

Tackling people is part of the game, trying to twist their neck and pull their helmet off isn't. I'm disappointed that the whole browns team didn't come to Garrett's defense.

Rudolph should be suspended.

According to NFL.com, Rudolph isn't getting suspended, but he is getting fined.

(11-15-2019, 03:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 03:12 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: After first viewing of the altercation I didn't even notice that Rudolph had been grabbing and twisting Garrett's helmet, but he clearly was, and he should be suspended, too, even if not for as long. The NFL continues to exhibit problems on issues like this. Just because he got tackled late isn't any excuse for that kind of action, and it led directly to what happened.

Tackling people is part of the game, trying to twist their neck and pull their helmet off isn't. I'm disappointed that the whole browns team didn't come to Garrett's defense.

Rudolph should be suspended.

According to NFL.com, Rudolph isn't getting suspended, but he is getting fined.

Yes, I saw, and it's ridiculous. If we didn't have video of him instigating the problem it would be one thing, but since clear video evidence does exist that he was the one trying to cause injury first he should also be out.

League got something right. A handful of posters here on the absolute wrong side of this (surprise)

Ridiculous to think Rudolph did anything to warrant a suspension.

I stop short of thinking Garrett deserves any sort of lifelong ban or criminal charges. But his excessive and unnecessary play at the end, that continued on the ground is what instigated the entire situation.
And then he topped it off with a big no-no, with the ripping and swinging of the helmet.

Yeah, we all see what Rudolph is doing while on the ground in a defensive position.
To think that warrants severe action is what is ridiculous.

Rudolph is likely being fined for his actions after his helmet was ripped off (getting up and pursuing Garrett)

I don't agree with suspending Pouncey...

I think, in his mind, he was saving Rudolph's life. Helmets are heavy and can definitely fracture a skull swung by a professional athlete.

(11-15-2019, 03:18 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 02:52 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: From what I have seen most of the punishments handed out so far by the NFL are justified.

Myles Garrett - Suspended Indefinitely without pay - I would make it 16 games not including the post-season.
Larry Ogunjobi - Suspended 1 game without pay - I think 3 games would have been more appropriate.

It doesn't really matter as far as "who started it".  It was garbage time and not justified at all.

I don't think Ogunjobi warranted more than a game. He bumped the guy from behind, he didn't body slam him or throw any punches or kicks. Pretty minor and actually a bit funny.

I can almost agree with you except for the fact that he is bumping an un-protected player to the ground (no helmet) during a serious altercation.

The bottom line is this whole incident has no place in the game, and the key players should be made an example of.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I agree with suspensions that were handed out. I would have liked to see Rudolph get one game for escalating the incident that was at best hanging on by a thread.

I think if Garrett sits the rest of the year he should be reinstated to start next year.

(11-15-2019, 04:27 PM)rufftime Wrote: I agree with suspensions that were handed out.  I would have liked to see Rudolph get one game for escalating the incident that was at best hanging on by a thread.

I think if Garrett sits the rest of the year he should be reinstated to start next year.

He's catching a fine. Probably in the 12.5-25k range.
I think that is fair for what he did engage in.

League says more fines could be coming. I hope DeCastro doesn't catch anything but I'm wondering if some players came off the bench off camera?

Here is my question. Why? Is worse than what Kareem Hunt did? It is 2 times worse than what Kareem did?

(11-15-2019, 03:28 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 03:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: According to NFL.com, Rudolph isn't getting suspended, but he is getting fined.

Yes, I saw, and it's ridiculous. If we didn't have video of him instigating the problem it would be one thing, but since clear video evidence does exist that he was the one trying to cause injury first he should also be out.

Your username is fitting since you are not right in this case.

The thing is, he (Rudolph) wasn't "instigating" anything.

It was garbage time (near the end of the game).

He had clearly released the ball and should not have been taken down, especially in the manner that it was done with the defender.   <- There is the "instigation".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-15-2019, 04:32 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:

Here is my question. Why? Is worse than what Kareem Hunt did? It is 2 times worse than what Kareem did?

Fair point. Kareem Hunt got off easy in some people's eyes (assault on a woman)
Some people claim this is assault with the helmet.

I don't think the league will give him 16 games... he'll get these 6 and perhaps 2 to start next season (unless Browns make playoffs---they wont)
And the league will likely allow him to return at that point, or perhaps after just the 6, as long as there are no incidents with him outside of football, and with his lack of history there is nothing to say there will be.

Hunt also did not appeal his suspension. And I would think it wise for Garrett to just take it and talk with the league to figure out what he needs to do to get back in the game after the season.

(11-15-2019, 04:32 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:

The two have nothing in common or to do with one another.

(11-15-2019, 04:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 04:32 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Here is my question. Why? Is worse than what Kareem Hunt did? It is 2 times worse than what Kareem did?

Why not?

They are both suspensions for acts of violence detrimental to the league and put other people in jeopardy. Both were caught on camera and viewed publicly. Neither will face legal action. Hunt actually also had a prior accusation of assault against a man as well.

Also, you don't think some of the media won't point out a discrepancy in punishments?

(11-15-2019, 04:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 04:32 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Here is my question. Why? Is worse than what Kareem Hunt did? It is 2 times worse than what Kareem did?

This is true. One happened on field and one off.
But if Hunt gets 8 for assault, a crime, why would a player get 16 without a crime being committed? Though some would argue what Garrett did was in fact assault
It's a matter of perception and 'protecting the shield' and the product on the field. If Garrett smacks Rudolph on the head with a helmet in the street, does it warrant less games?
I'm not going to Garretts defense in any way here. I'd just like the NFL to not knee jerk on suspensions just because something happened in game and shades the shield as opposed to crimes outside the game that get tougher suspensions based on if there is video evidence or not (hunt, rice).

(11-15-2019, 04:51 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 04:45 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The two have nothing in common or to do with one another.

Why not?

They are both suspensions for acts of violence detrimental to the league and put other people in jeopardy. Both were caught on camera and viewed publicly. Neither will face legal action. Hunt actually also had a prior accusation of assault against a man as well.

Also, you don't think some of the media won't point out a discrepancy in punishments?

The difference is that one happened on the field in front of national television and one happened off the field.  FWIW I would have upped Hunt's suspension as well.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2019, 05:09 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

Lol. At least i know it is ok to try an rip off a players helmet if they tackle you late/commit a foul that isnt flagged. Its only suspension worthy if that player retaliates.

I forgot who asked but no, i would not "let" myles swing a helmet at me. I also wouldnt try and rip another players helmet off that is a 300 lb jacked DL and then run after him after he then rips mine off. Oh, and i have held a helmet and played the sport. I'm just not having this "oh my god" reaction like most. The helmet hit is definite grounds for suspension but a slap on the wrist for the QB and pouncey are a joke. At least i know how the rules work better for pulling at helmets, swinging, and kicking.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-15-2019, 05:09 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Lol.  At least i know it is ok to try an rip off a players helmet if they tackle you late/commit a foul that isnt flagged.  Its only suspension worthy if that player retaliates.  

Absolutely no one said that.

(11-15-2019, 05:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 05:09 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: Lol.  At least i know it is ok to try an rip off a players helmet if they tackle you late/commit a foul that isnt flagged.  Its only suspension worthy if that player retaliates.  

Absolutely no one said that.

The league did by not suspending the player.  He might as well be wearing inappropriate field attire.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-15-2019, 03:28 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 03:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: According to NFL.com, Rudolph isn't getting suspended, but he is getting fined.

I disagree and this is coming from someone who HATES the Steelers. I've hated them since I was a kid.

(11-15-2019, 04:05 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I don't agree with suspending Pouncey...

I think, in his mind, he was saving Rudolph's life. Helmets are heavy and can definitely fracture a skull swung by a professional athlete.

He was kicking the guy in the head. That's gotta count for something.

(11-15-2019, 04:23 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 03:18 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I don't think Ogunjobi warranted more than a game. He bumped the guy from behind, he didn't body slam him or throw any punches or kicks. Pretty minor and actually a bit funny.

I can almost agree with you except for the fact that he is bumping an un-protected player to the ground (no helmet) during a serious altercation.

The bottom line is this whole incident has no place in the game, and the key players should be made an example of.

Okeechobee definitely deserved a game suspension or even two for escalating the melee.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile