Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team?

I agree about Coughlin. You won’t find another guy out there willing to come to Jacksonville with that resume he’s got.

As far as the decisions that were made, we still don’t know who made those decisions. I remember people saying Bortles was not Coughlin’s guy but it was never proved.

With the way Ramsey jumped ship, I believe that was on Marrone. And now with the QB situation, that’s on Marrone.

Coughlin picked Brunell over Buerlin and he picked Eli over Warner and both decisions worked out. I trust his judgement with finding a QB.

But for all we know, it’s Doug making that call. I’m definitely not running Tom Coughlin out of town again. We made that mistake once already. Not doing it again.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-26-2019, 09:47 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I agree about Coughlin. You won’t find another guy out there willing to come to Jacksonville with that resume he’s got.

As far as the decisions that were made, we still don’t know who made those decisions. I remember people saying Bortles was not Coughlin’s guy but it was never proved.

With the way Ramsey jumped ship, I believe that was on Marrone. And now with the QB situation, that’s on Marrone.

Coughlin picked Brunell over Buerlin and he picked Eli over Warner and both decisions worked out. I trust his judgement with finding a QB.

But for all we know, it’s Doug making that call. I’m definitely not running Tom Coughlin out of town again. We made that mistake once already. Not doing it again.

You are delusional

Coughlin deserves more blame than most of this current mess. He should be the first one fired along with Dave and Doug. That is a Hell No to Coughlin at Coach!
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(11-26-2019, 08:18 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Nah. I’m not firing Coughlin. Just get me a head coach that doesn’t argue with his best player on the sideline, during an actual NFL game///////

Not sure why guys are wanting to run Tom outta town again. Coughlin is not the problem guys...it’s Doug Marrone and Wash. Those 2 are the ones you want to run outta town.

??????

Ramsey and Marrone both repeatedly stated they had no issue beyond that moment. If your pointing to the Ramsey debacle as a fireable offense, then that pretty clearly lays at Coughlin's feet.

(11-26-2019, 09:47 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I agree about Coughlin. You won’t find another guy out there willing to come to Jacksonville with that resume he’s got.

Coughlin was brought in to oversee the front office that had been making questionable picks and moves.
They immediately drafted Fournette instead of Cook or CMC. Extended Bortles. Then drafted Taven Bryan instead of Jackson, OL, TE help.

Coughlin didn't fix anything. He also alienated Ramsey (though, count your blessings sometimes it seems) and has played hard ball with arguably our best player on defense in not paying Yan.
Coughlin was brought in to be the savior and we got one fool's gold season out of it and now we're spiraling back into darkness.

Good. Bye. Coughlin.
Doug, Dave, and everyone else.

Time to start over fresh.

It wasn't a mistake.

He had to go, Weaver made the right decision.

(11-27-2019, 10:22 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

It wasn't a mistake.

Weren't the Giants perennial losers or average with people claiming Eli was a bust and ready to run Coughlin out of town for alienating guys like Strahan and Tiki?
Then they caught lightning in a bottle at 4-6 and got to 10-6 and won a SB on the backs of a really good D. Then a couple more years of meandering around mediocrity and once again TC was about to be shown the door until they got hot in a bad NFC and went on to take down the evil Patriots once more.

So... ya know... if we keep him around we'll probably have some bad years some average ones and then boom, get lucky with some crap like 2017 and keep his average [BLEEP] around some more...

Everyone points to basically 2 good years with the NYG but fail to mention how much luck was involved in those seasons, how bad the teams were otherwise, and how awful they were at the end (and really haven't dug out of it yet)
And he put us in cap Hell back in the day... and our cap isn't in great condition now... best to not let him finish us off before walkering into the sunset.

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019, 07:01 AM by Caldrac.)

(11-27-2019, 10:47 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 10:22 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: It wasn't a mistake.

Weren't the Giants perennial losers or average with people claiming Eli was a bust and ready to run Coughlin out of town for alienating guys like Strahan and Tiki?
Then they caught lightning in a bottle at 4-6 and got to 10-6 and won a SB on the backs of a really good D. Then a couple more years of meandering around mediocrity and once again TC was about to be shown the door until they got hot in a bad NFC and went on to take down the evil Patriots once more.

So... ya know... if we keep him around we'll probably have some bad years some average ones and then boom, get lucky with some crap like 2017 and keep his average [BLEEP] around some more...

Everyone points to basically 2 good years with the NYG but fail to mention how much luck was involved in those seasons, how bad the teams were otherwise, and how awful they were at the end (and really haven't dug out of it yet)
And he put us in cap Hell back in the day... and our cap isn't in great condition now... best to not let him finish us off before walkering into the sunset.

The Giants managed all of that though with Tom Coughlin the football coach. Not Tom Coughlin the Executive Vice President Of Football Operations. The biggest mistake Weaver and some of the fans at that time ever made was convincing themselves that firing Tom Coughlin as our football coach was the right thing to do. I think time has proven that it was a mistake. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville...aily9.html

The fact that Tom's downfall was because of some of his personnel decisions and salary cap issues that were not properly handled up front is all but telling of how the last two years have been handled by him in his new role though as you mentioned above.

Tom is a coach. Not a general manager. Not a front office kind of guy. He doesn't belong in a suit. He belongs in a hat and polo with a whistle around his neck. He tries like hell and he's had some good moments over the years with some players but he's not Bill Belichick. He can't do it all. 

Not even their mentor Bill Parcells could handle being a General Manager or a EVPOF. He was terrible at it as well. He's just a damn good football coach. Ernie Accorsi & Jerry Reese made Tom's life easier in the Big Apple. This experiment needs to end already though. His press conference the other day bothered me. That's not the Tom I grew up watching and remembered respecting. It felt like this scene below yesterday:

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12862016]
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Caldrac Wrote: The Giants managed all of that though with Tom Coughlin the football coach. Not Tom Coughlin the Executive Vice President Of Football Operations. The biggest mistake Weaver and some of the fans at that time ever made was convincing themselves that firing Tom Coughlin as our football coach was the right thing to do. I think time has proven that it was a mistake. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville...aily9.html

The fact that Tom's downfall was because of some of his personnel decisions and salary cap issues that were not properly handled up front is all but telling of how the last two years have been handled by him in his new role though as you mentioned above.

Tom is a coach. Not a general manager. Not a front office kind of guy. He doesn't belong in a suit. He belongs in a hat and polo with a whistle around his neck. He tries like hell and he's had some good moments over the years with some players but he's not Bill Belichick. He can't do it all. 

Not even their mentor Bill Parcells could handle being a General Manager or a EVPOF. He was terrible at it as well. He's just a damn good football coach. Ernie Accorsi & Jerry Reese made Tom's life easier in the Big Apple. This experiment needs to end already though. His press conference the other day bothered me. That's not the Tom I grew up watching and remembered respecting. It felt like this scene below yesterday:

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12862016]

This pretty much sums up my view on it too. I respect TC as a coach and he probably is a decent evaluator of talent but being an executive is a completely different skill set. I get the sense from that news conference that he is feeling a little helpless trying to drive from the backseat which is not an unusual feeling for someone who's unsuccessfully made the move he's made. Time to retire Tom.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Courtesy of Mark Long. 

https://twitter.com/tealtalk/status/1200...41600?s=19

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019, 04:24 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(11-28-2019, 04:17 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Courtesy of Mark Long. 

Hey coaches.. get the best from your players, put them in position to succeed... you coachess are [BLEEP] dumb as crap.

(11-28-2019, 04:17 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Courtesy of Mark Long. 

So it pretty much sums up most of our fears on here. No accountability. No captain guiding the crew and ship. They're pretty much lost and there's a lot of uncertain futures in the air.

I know the feeling. I just don't know how Khan can stomach that though. As an owner I would have spoken up and demanded accountability and answers for this.

Just five more weeks I guess. Maybe less. This could be Coughlin's swan song. Sad ending if that's the case. Marrone and Caldwell are out for sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

These coaches try to put square pegs in round holes. They don't adjust to players strength.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-28-2019, 10:33 PM by Upper.)

3. Headed. Snake. Front. Office.

Actually you know what, I take that back. I am actually fond of Marrone as a person. He has been extremely refreshing with his pressers and candid answers this year. It sucks that he's a bad coach cause I think he could be the right guy in many other areas.

Dave and Tom though, 100% snakes.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2019, 12:05 AM by JagNGeorgia.)

Those are coaches that are trying to cover their [BLEEP]. Wilson, Williams, and Bryan May not be the best choices, but they’ve also given you Minshew, Chark, Ngakoue, Allen, etc. we’ve seen these losers get out coached regularly, and I think they’re looking for someone else to blame which tells me they don’t have a proper understanding of our problems.

Also, Wilson and Williams’s regression seemingly falls on the coaching. Williams was lights-out in preseason, and Wilson showed promise last year. I don’t know if one or all facets of the team is the problem, but I know coaching is so why why to root out the source of this toxic culture.

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2019, 09:33 AM by Caldrac.)

(11-29-2019, 12:02 AM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

Those are coaches that are trying to cover their [BLEEP]. Wilson, Williams, and Bryan May not be the best choices, but they’ve also given you Minshew, Chark, Ngakoue, Allen, etc. we’ve seen these losers get out coached regularly, and I think they’re looking for someone else to blame which tells me they don’t have a proper understanding of our problems.

Also, Wilson and Williams’s regression seemingly falls on the coaching. Williams was lights-out in preseason, and Wilson showed promise last year. I don’t know if one or all facets of the team is the problem, but I know coaching is so why why to root out the source of this toxic culture.

Coaches are trying to save face. I get it. They're all on the gallows. 

The thing with Williams is the timing. Coaches and front office probably didn't know or get a sense or feel with what Telvin Smith was going to do. That seemed like a reach at the time until other teams like San Francisco came forward and said they were interested and hoping he would have fallen to them at some point. Considering the success the 49ERS are having this year, especially on defense under John Lynch's management? I'll take that as a positive. 

Same argument for the TE position. They weren't expect O'Shaughnessy to end up on IR. They were probably hoping Josh Oliver would have held up physically along with him as well so there's 2 bodies down at that position there. Swaim was brought in. He's been nicked up here and there. Now it's Koyack and O'Leary.

You can only have so much depth and so many roster spots to keep intact. You can try and make the argument about maybe taking Hockenson over Allen but honestly Hockenson has had a tough time staying healthy for the Lions this year. That's the problem when you're that big of a target and that fast. You're easy to locate and knock the [BLEEP] out of. Allen > Hockenson for right now though. Not even close.

Maybe the strength and conditioning coach needs to be replaced? Maybe the rehab personnel need to be looked at? I don't know.

This team needs a new start next year. BAD. I hope the next coach we gain isn't vanilla and likes to scheme [BLEEP] up constantly and throw different looks around on offense and defense. Watching some of these late night games makes me sick because they literally all seem to do things not only different but they seem to rotate more players, change things up last minute before the snap is taken, lots of motion, misdirection, etc. 

We're just a boring [BLEEP] team to look at sometimes.

Monday after the season is over, I'm firing every single person that has had a connection with this team over the last 5 years. Caldwell, Coughlin, Marrone, Wash, Flip.... All gone.

Next, I'm hiring Mike Borgonzi or Daniel Jeremiah for the GM position Mike is from KC and DJ is an analyst.
Coach. I'm going after Matt Rhule from Baylor.

Players. Signing Yan. Dumping Fournette, Norwell, Cann, Conley. Restructure Dareus and Campbell. Trade Foles (hopefully). Draft Tua and an Oline in round 1 with our picks. Or draft Oline and WR in round 1.

(12-03-2019, 11:18 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Monday after the season is over, I'm firing every single person that has had a connection with this team over the last 5 years. Caldwell, Coughlin, Marrone, Wash, Flip.... All gone.

Next, I'm hiring Mike Borgonzi or Daniel Jeremiah for the GM position Mike is from KC and DJ is an analyst.
Coach. I'm going after Matt Rhule from Baylor.

Players. Signing Yan. Dumping Fournette, Norwell, Cann, Conley. Restructure Dareus and Campbell. Trade Foles (hopefully). Draft Tua and an Oline in round 1 with our picks. Or draft Oline and WR in round 1.

Draft Tua?  Nahhhh.  I need to hear more about his rehab and progress and his expected availability.  I wouldn't be opposed to some of the other QB prospects.  It just really depends on the coaching staff and whoever the FO personnel will consist of.

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019, 02:33 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

As I watch this team get worse and worse, I've been thinking about the possible best plan of action going forward. Not everything can be fixed in one year, but I believe some things can. My main focus this off season would be fixing the run defense and the offensive line. Aside from firing the entire coaching staff and the front office, here is what I would do.

1. Go all in and sign DT Jordan Phillips of Buffalo. Phillips is a massive 6'6" 341 lbs. and is solid against the run and an accomplished pass rusher as well. He is currently playing 3 technique for the Bills, but certainly has the mass and natural ability to play NT as well, much like a younger version of Marcell Dareus. This does not mean I give up on trying to draft Derrick Brown. Brown is still my #1 target in the draft. Imagine this, we somehow manage to be in position to draft the best NT in the draft, Derrick Brown of Auburn. Phillips plays 3 technique and the 6'5" 320 lb. Brown plays NT. That gives us some serious beef in the middle of the D-Line. We need to find a way to get Brown any way we can. It might take trading up a few spots. Whether that means parting with a player, a future 2nd round pick or whatever, getting Brown is paramount to fixing the run defense. Phillips and Brown could be the new version of Stroud and Henderson.

2. Use our second pick in round 1 to select OT Trey Adams of Washington. Adams is everything I look for in a LT. He's athletic, has good feet, is a road grater and protects the QB very well. I select him and either move Robinson inside to LG or have him and Taylor compete for the RT job. I always though Robinson was a more natural RT, so having him compete with Taylor would not only upgrade the OT positions, but it would create much needed depth.  That should sure-up the OT positions for years to come.

3. In round 3. I continue building the O-Line, this time from the inside. I dangle Norwell and Cann as trade bait and take the hit with the dead money. See if we can move one of those guys. We need an upgrade on the inside. There are several OG's I would target in round 2 such as John Simpson of Clemson, Solomon Kindley of Georgia, Shane Lemieux of Oregon or Trey Smith of Tennessee. Have the new OG compete with Richardson, Norwell or Cann (who ever doesn't get moved) and see if the improved OT play doesn't make a big difference.

4. Round 3 is the area I address TE. This is not an especially good or deep TE class, but there are some players with potential. I just don't see much division between the top of the class and the middle. In this 3rd round area, so I target either Brycen Hopkins of Purdue or Harrison Bryant of FAU. Both have potential, but they need help from good QB play and a solid O-Line.

5. Rounds 4-7 I address obvious needs at linebacker. I take no less than two linebackers in this draft. One true MLB and one guy who shows the versatility to play inside or outside. Some players I am really like are Joe Bachie of Michigan State, Logan Wilson of Wyoming, Carter Coughlin of Minnesota,  Kamal Martin of Minnesota and Francis Bernard of Utah. I wanna get two of those guys somewhere in rounds 4-7. I know Bachie is currently serving a suspension for using a banned substance, but the kid is a fantastic player and sometimes you gotta take some risks. Putting these types of linebackers behind a re-vamped interior D-Line, should in theory, fix the run defense. With the rest of the picks, we could address a number of needs, such as depth at CB, S, RB, WR or we could take another O-Lineman for depth.

What are your thoughts?

(12-03-2019, 02:32 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As I watch this team get worse and worse, I've been thinking about the possible best plan of action going forward. Not everything can be fixed in one year, but I believe some things can. My main focus this off season would be fixing the run defense and the offensive line. Aside from firing the entire coaching staff and the front office, here is what I would do.

1. Go all in and sign DT Jordan Phillips of Buffalo. Phillips is a massive 6'6" 341 lbs. and is solid against the run and an accomplished pass rusher as well. He is currently playing 3 technique for the Bills, but certainly has the mass and natural ability to play NT as well, much like a younger version of Marcell Dareus. This does not mean I give up on trying to draft Derrick Brown. Brown is still my #1 target in the draft. Imagine this, we somehow manage to be in position to draft the best NT in the draft, Derrick Brown of Auburn. Phillips plays 3 technique and the 6'5" 320 lb. Brown plays NT. That gives us some serious beef in the middle of the D-Line. We need to find a way to get Brown any way we can. It might take trading up a few spots. Whether that means parting with a player, a future 2nd round pick or whatever, getting Brown is paramount to fixing the run defense. Phillips and Brown could be the new version of Stroud and Henderson.

2. Use our second pick in round 1 to select OT Trey Adams of Washington. Adams is everything I look for in a LT. He's athletic, has good feet, is a road grater and protects the QB very well. I select him and either move Robinson inside to LG or have him and Taylor compete for the RT job. I always though Robinson was a more natural RT, so having him compete with Taylor would not only upgrade the OT positions, but it would create much needed depth.  That should sure-up the OT positions for years to come.

3. In round 3. I continue building the O-Line, this time from the inside. I dangle Norwell and Cann as trade bait and take the hit with the dead money. See if we can move one of those guys. We need an upgrade on the inside. There are several OG's I would target in round 2 such as John Simpson of Clemson, Solomon Kindley of Georgia, Shane Lemieux of Oregon or Trey Smith of Tennessee. Have the new OG compete with Richardson, Norwell or Cann (who ever doesn't get moved) and see if the improved OT play doesn't make a big difference.

4. Round 3 is the area I address TE. This is not an especially good or deep TE class, but there are some players with potential. I just don't see much division between the top of the class and the middle. In this 3rd round area, so I target either Brycen Hopkins of Purdue or Harrison Bryant of FAU. Both have potential, but they need help from good QB play and a solid O-Line.

5. Rounds 4-7 I address obvious needs at linebacker. I take no less than two linebackers in this draft. One true MLB and one guy who shows the versatility to play inside or outside. Some players I am really like are Joe Bachie of Michigan State, Logan Wilson of Wyoming, Carter Coughlin of Minnesota,  Kamal Martin of Minnesota and Francis Bernard of Utah. I wanna get two of those guys somewhere in rounds 4-7. I know Bachie is currently serving a suspension for using a banned substance, but the kid is a fantastic player and sometimes you gotta take some risks. Putting these types of linebackers behind a re-vamped interior D-Line, should in theory, fix the run defense. With the rest of the picks, we could address a number of needs, such as depth at CB, S, RB, WR or we could take another O-Lineman for depth.

What are your thoughts?

Phillips would be a great pick-up, but I'm afraid he will stay with the Bills. He is one of their top defenders and they have the money to re-sign him. Derrick Brown would be my top choice, but if he's gone I'd take the best left tackle available. I believe that Tristan Wirfs will be the BAP at a position of need so he'd be my pick after Brown. With the 2nd 1st rounder, I'd probably go for Kinlaw from S. Carolina. He'd be my pick even if they managed to sign Phillps. 

The 2nd round pick would likely be an interior lineman. All the guys you mentioned are good candidates. Creed Humphrey and Tyler Biadasz will likely both be gone, but there are always players who drop more than they should so I'd hope one of these two falls to the Jaguars. Trey Smith has some real medical concerns with blood clots and I'd be afraid to take him in the 2nd round, especially the way our team is jinxed with draft picks. An offensive line of Wirfs, Linder (guard), Humphrey, Robinson/Norwell and Taylor would be a big upgrade. Will Richardson would provide solid depth along with the loser of the Norwell-Robinson competition at guard.As you said, both lines should take priority and I agree. 

As far as the rest of the draft, this team can't lose by picking the BAP with all remaining picks, with the exception of q.b. It will take 2 years minimum to re-build this team with definite needs at linebacker, safety (1), cornerback and tight end. Even though they seem at least average at running back and receiver, it certainly wouldn't be a mistake to add to one or both of these positions in the draft. A couple of guys I like are Hamler from Penn State (3rd round possibiity) and Cam Akers from FSU. Both these guys would make the team and Hamler could contribute immediately as a punt returner. He has Tyreek Hill- like explosiveness and would give them another option in case Westbrook gets hurt (unfortunately likely to happen due to his size). 

Overall, I like your strategy of prioritizing both lines since this is the key to winning in the NFL, along with a good quarterback.