Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monday Morning GM: How would you fix this team?

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 10:16 AM by Kane.)

Coaching and FO:
I think the team needs fresh voices from the entire coach staff. Dougs a good dude, but really hasn't been anything special and this team still lacks discipline on the field. And how do you only have like 7 rush attempts while the game is within 3-7 points? I was high on Flip early on but IDK bout this dude so much. His playcalling is almost as suspect as Wash's.

And the FO has done good but not great and without being able to pin it on one dude, both dudes need to go.

D:
Herndon has played well but I still think if there's an opportunity to get a shut down CB in this draft they should pull the trigger. Also Bouye is here for 2020, but beyond who knows.

Retain Dareus... big cap hit, but huge presence in run defense that we are certainly missing. 
PAY YAN!
I'd say all the linebackers could use an upgrade. Perhaps that means moving Jack to WLB and making him the highest paid WLB in the league, since he just got paid, and isn't getting cut for a couple seasons. No one could tackle yesterday (this season?) and it was pathetic.

O:
OGs have been a problem all year. That's not new. Still rotating RG is still pissing me off. Coaches haven't figured out who is the better play yet? Or both suck? Never heard of such rotation on OL.
Also... if we're sticking with Fournette beyond 2020, we need to bring back the full back, imo. (Also, per coaching, play a scheme that suits him running from the I or single back sets, not much of a shotgun runner)
If we're not retaining him beyond 2020... we need to draft his replacement. (I wouldn't be mad moving on personally. He's good but with guys like CMC, Hunt, Kamara, and Cook in the league... I'm not overly impressed, especially when I see LF going East and West instead of North and South)

I think we have some pretty solid weapons at WR, Chark is a legit #1. Westbrook is pretty good from the slot (though seemingly gets blown up and drops balls easily). Conley probably can be upgraded but we should retain him for 2020 and perhaps draft a WR in the middle rounds this year to groom.

QB is where this team has to figure stuff out in a hurry though. I'm not ready to bury Foles after one game where he was off target on a lot of throws (even completions were high or behind targets) but if he can't tighten it up that's going to be an issue. I think this off season we should/could have a legit open comp at QB.
A new front office maybe wants to move on from both QBs and that would be sad for us fans of Minshew.

This team has a cap situation and players to pay (YAN) that free agency probably shouldn't be much of an option until maybe 2021/2022
Gotta draft and develop and let some of our current $ fall off from Campbell (who should probably be kept another year, Dareus who we desperately need it seems, AJ)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-18-2019, 10:14 AM)Kane Wrote: Coaching and FO:
I think the team needs fresh voices from the entire coach staff. Dougs a good dude, but really hasn't been anything special and this team still lacks discipline on the field. And how do you only have like 7 rush attempts while the game is within 3-7 points? I was high on Flip early on but IDK bout this dude so much. His playcalling is almost as suspect as Wash's.

And the FO has done good but not great and without being able to pin it on one dude, both dudes need to go.

D:
Herndon has played well but I still think if there's an opportunity to get a shut down CB in this draft they should pull the trigger. Also Bouye is here for 2020, but beyond who knows.

Retain Dareus... big cap hit, but huge presence in run defense that we are certainly missing. 
PAY YAN!
I'd say all the linebackers could use an upgrade. Perhaps that means moving Jack to WLB and making him the highest paid WLB in the league, since he just got paid, and isn't getting cut for a couple seasons. No one could tackle yesterday (this season?) and it was pathetic.

O:
OGs have been a problem all year. That's not new. Still rotating RG is still pissing me off. Coaches haven't figured out who is the better play yet? Or both suck? Never heard of such rotation on OL.
Also... if we're sticking with Fournette beyond 2020, we need to bring back the full back, imo. (Also, per coaching, play a scheme that suits him running from the I or single back sets, not much of a shotgun runner)
If we're not retaining him beyond 2020... we need to draft his replacement. (I wouldn't be mad moving on personally. He's good but with guys like CMC, Hunt, Kamara, and Cook in the league... I'm not overly impressed, especially when I see LF going East and West instead of North and South)

I think we have some pretty solid weapons at WR, Chark is a legit #1. Westbrook is pretty good from the slot (though seemingly gets blown up and drops balls easily). Conley probably can be upgraded but we should retain him for 2020 and perhaps draft a WR in the middle rounds this year to groom.

QB is where this team has to figure stuff out in a hurry though. I'm not ready to bury Foles after one game where he was off target on a lot of throws (even completions were high or behind targets) but if he can't tighten it up that's going to be an issue. I think this off season we should/could have a legit open comp at QB.
A new front office maybe wants to move on from both QBs and that would be sad for us fans of Minshew.

This team has a cap situation and players to pay (YAN) that free agency probably shouldn't be much of an option until maybe 2021/2022
Gotta draft and develop and let some of our current $ fall off from Campbell (who should probably be kept another year, Dareus who we desperately need it seems, AJ)

Agree with everything. We need some experience to go with all this youth. Show them how you win at this level.

(11-18-2019, 09:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 09:49 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Force Mr. Bologna to play Minshew to see if we need to package some picks to get the QB we want next year....

...or, hopefully, he's as good as we hope he is and learns quickly and shows us he can only get better....

I really don't think QB is necessarily our biggest problem.  Our bigger problem is, we need much better DTs, OGs, TE, and a MLB.  The physical core of our team is weak.  Can't block for the run, and can't stop the run.  And of course, no TE.  

QB is way down the list for me.

I don't think DT is as high on the list as you.  I think having a true MLB will make the DTs we have look better.  We've got to get Myles Jack back in that weak side position.

Every position on the oline could use an upgrade, and of course TE is still a dumpster fire.  The oline fix is urgent.  Every good team has a good oline.  Not every good team has a great TE, and some bad teams do have good ones, so that's a lower priority.

I think Caldwell has been above average in drafting.  I just doubt the talent development has been there. 

1) fire most of the coaches.  Get someone who has spent time with Belichick or Reid as a replacement.

2) draft oline early and consistently.

3) find an MLB.  Be willing to take Jack off the field in nickel.

4) find a natural leader and thumper at the safety position.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-18-2019, 09:58 AM)Upper Wrote: Hard not to spend in FA when you draft as bad as Dave has, and Gene before him. Dave didn't inherit anyone worth extending, and then he drafted precious few players worth extending on top of that.

Seriously? Other than 2013 when he was stuck with Gene Smith's scouting staff, Dave has a good record in the draft. 

2014: Bortles never developed, but the rest of the 2014 draft was excellent. 
2015: Fowler turned out to be a good player, Cann is still starting. Yeldon was a mistake.
2016: Ramsey, Jack, and Ngakoue.
2017: Fournette, Robinson, Smoot, and Westbrook. Three starters and Smoot looking like he wasn't a bust after all.
2018: Chark and Harrison are good starters. Bryan looking like a future solid starter.
2019: Allen is a star in the making. Minshew! The rest need development but appear to be on track.

Certainly there were missed opportunities at QB and poor choices at RB, but overall the drafts are in the top half of the league.

OTOH, the Jags free agency has been poor. Campbell and Bouye were great signings, but there have been many bad choices. It seems the Jags are really good at evaluating CBs and WRs, and really poor at RB and OL. Changes need to be made to the scouting staff to fix that.

I also wonder how much is due to poor coaching. Our development of defensive linemen has been excellent and I credit Wash for that. Wash needs to be replaced as DC but we will miss his DL coaching. The OL development has been nonexistent; not a single one has improved over his first year play with the team. Isn't Marrone supposed to be an OL guru? The DB development improved from terrible to good once Walker was replaced. Coaching matters in player development as well as game preparation. Had the Jags drafted Mahomes would he have turned out as well?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(11-18-2019, 08:33 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: This one’s always fun. Let’s assume that you’re the GM of our Jaguars (You’re guaranteed the job for at least the next few years hypothetically) 

What do you do to fix this team? Spend big in free agency? Add some pieces in the draft? Blow it up and start all over? Clean house and bring in an entirely new staff?

Now’s your time to shine.. aaaand go!

For this year, help is not on the way.

Step one is you determine what your identity is. If you stick with Marrone, you are going to continue being a tight-game, run-first offense. You continue to emphasize linemen that are road-graders with a mean streak, get guys with speed and vision who can get outside and make players miss. We already have our battering ram in Fournette. You get receivers who block as well as they receive, and focus on tight ends that can double as a smaller tackle when blocking is needed. We are not a wide-open offense, these undersized TE that catch first and block as an afterthought are our undoing. Wash is gone. I don't care if this ruffles Doug's feathers or not, Wash is going to cost Doug his job if he stays here any longer. We need a thumper in the middle at LB. Jack can move back outside. If this means Quincy loses snaps, so be it, just win, baby. He can relieve Jack, or heck, if he outplays him, Jack can be shopped to another team in search of a confused, undersized MLB.

If you go in a different direction offensively, you are in for a couple years of frustration while you retool the roster. Cam is nearing the end of his rookie deal, so the time is now to make that determination of how the offense will be designed, and either keep him around or let him walk.

I do not spend big in FA. I look for the guys who were miscast with other teams and may be more affordable because they failed to appear as dominant as they could actually be. I use FA to patch holes with short-term fixes, and do not hamstring my cap with older, ill-fitting members on the roster. I offer Yan a sound, long-term deal that is intended to see the contract played out - no shenanigans with over-inflating end-of-contract salaries that result in players being cut due to cap hits and yielding no compensation to the team.

If I start today, I let Foles finish the season. I don't want to break Minshew, and I think he can apply the half-season of experience to all instruction and training reps on the practice field without risking a long-term injury. Next season, though, it's a battle, and the best player gets the nod, regardless of their cap implication. 

Most importantly, I start headhunting scouts from Baltimore. They seem to hit very well on guys that have talent, fit their systems, and end up translating to the pro game after college. I don't know how they've done it, short of making a deal with the devil. And considering that Art is down there campaigning on the team's behalf, it's a rather plausible explanation.

1. Fire Coughlin, Caldwell, Marrone, and his entire staff
2. Cut every player on the roster except: Foles, Chark, Allen, Linder, and Yan
3. Convince Rodger that we need another expansion draft.

(11-18-2019, 11:34 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: 1. Fire Coughlin, Caldwell, Marrone, and his entire staff
2. Cut every player on the roster except: Foles, Chark, Allen, Linder, and Yan
3. Convince Rodger that we need another expansion draft.

Foles is old and sucks.

Fire whole coaching staff and FO.

2first round picks almost have to be LB and OL, with TE 2nd priority.

Resign Yan

Just hope we land a competent Coach and GM. A good coach can win some games this this roster next year with a good draft and FA
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES 
ATLANTS BRAVES 

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 04:17 PM by Caldrac.)

(11-18-2019, 08:33 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: This one’s always fun. Let’s assume that you’re the GM of our Jaguars (You’re guaranteed the job for at least the next few years hypothetically) 

What do you do to fix this team? Spend big in free agency? Add some pieces in the draft? Blow it up and start all over? Clean house and bring in an entirely new staff?

Now’s your time to shine.. aaaand go!

Build through the draft like any good general manager would do in the NFL. I wouldn't spend both of our first round picks next year at all. And I wouldn't probably spend both of our first round picks in the following draft neither. I would actually try and position myself out of the 1st RD while picking up future 1st RD picks for 2021 and 2022. My scouting department would be looking at promising sophomore prospects in the college ranks TODAY and for future drafts. 

As far as free agency? I would look for low risk / high reward depth players to bolster my offensive line and defensive line. All of my draft picks are used on skill position players that will give me my most bang for the buck. 

I want three down players at TE, RB & WR. I want versatile players. Players with range. Players with high character and consistent production. Blockers that can make pancakes and get around the edge to that next level. I don't want guys that get pushed back or stone walled at the point of attack. 

Defensively I want virtually the same. I don't want any "tweeners" on here or "one tricky pony's with room to grow". Give me healthy, consistent starters from college and then show me how they played from start to finish in big games, bowl games and whether or not they let the scoreboard, whether down or up, dictate their effort and morale on the football field. 

I have never been a fan of "blowing up" anything. Unless it's the bathroom and my guts have had enough. But other than that. You have to have a good mix of youth, vets and role players. But the more you can do individually as a player? The better. With limited practices. Short contract lengths. And only 53 spots to carry into the regular season? Versatility, availability, discipline and consistency are the golden rules of my department when it comes to value. That would be drilled into my scouting department's head.

Coaching wise I would go after Mike McCarthy. Followed by Greg Roman, Kellen Moore & Jay Gruden as potential new hires.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Run and gun.air it out. Every play.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 04:26 PM by Jagulars.)

Hire a new HC. Offensive-minded college coach. New DC who specializes in LBs. Make some space in your cap. Release the following:

Dareus
Lee
Norwell
Cann
Swaim
Robinson

In FA, pick up a middle-of-the pack CB, LB, DT, and OL. I would avoid grabbing WRs in FA. Have been nothing but trouble for so many years or have been disappointing.

In the draft. 1st round goes to LT and WR. 2nd round on LB. 3rd on OG. 4th on FS. Go offense the rest of the draft with TE, HB, OL. Etc.

First thing to do to fix this team is to cut Josh Oliver. I thought he would be good but he's fragile like Foles. Cut bait and move on.

(11-18-2019, 04:34 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: First thing to do to fix this team is to cut Josh Oliver.  I thought he would be good but he's fragile like Foles.   Cut bait and move on.

[Image: Robert-De-Niro-Oh-you.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 04:54 PM by Kane.)

(11-18-2019, 11:16 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 09:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I really don't think QB is necessarily our biggest problem.  Our bigger problem is, we need much better DTs, OGs, TE, and a MLB.  The physical core of our team is weak.  Can't block for the run, and can't stop the run.  And of course, no TE.  

QB is way down the list for me.

I don't think DT is as high on the list as you.  I think having a true MLB will make the DTs we have look better.  We've got to get Myles Jack back in that weak side position.

Every position on the oline could use an upgrade, and of course TE is still a dumpster fire.  The oline fix is urgent.  Every good team has a good oline.  Not every good team has a great TE, and some bad teams do have good ones, so that's a lower priority.

I think Caldwell has been above average in drafting.  I just doubt the talent development has been there. 

1) fire most of the coaches.  Get someone who has spent time with Belichick or Reid as a replacement.

2) draft oline early and consistently.

3) find an MLB.  Be willing to take Jack off the field in nickel.

4) find a natural leader and thumper at the safety position.

Caldwell has been above average in drafting? Really? He has like 2 entire drafts that are throw aways. And he had a couple gimme first rounders with Ramsey and Allen. I think he's "good, not good enough." And Tom Coughlin hasn't really helped since he's been brought in. If anything his hard [BLEEP] approach has alienated the millennial players.

1A) per DT, if Dareus is released it absolutely is a big need and we may be in position to get Derrick Brown the way this season is going.
1B ) Fire all the coaches, all of them. Start fresh everywhere. I love Keenan but you'll be hard pressed to find a HC that doesn't want to bring in his guys. They all got to go.

2. We need two OGs, and a future C for when we move on from Linder who has been good not great here recently. He was a stud but I think his injuries slowed him down and now he's just aiight.

3. There are actually a couple MLB prospects in this draft if they decide to go this route that can be had in the middle rounds I think. Jack doesn't need to come off in nickel if we move him to WILL (the SAM comes off in Nickel) Also, with the contract they just gave him, fans might be crying for something that just won't happen... moving Jack at all (but perhaps they will move him and make him one of the highest paid WILL in the league). But in todays NFL a more creative defensive coach can figure out who to move when and where and don't need the traditional 43 Mike. Versatile linebackers can move around and play in certain spots in certain packages. Simmons would be a great addition.

4. Harrison is a beast and is developing nicely as a leader on D imo. And a very good SS. Wilson can be upgraded for sure though.

(11-18-2019, 04:34 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: First thing to do to fix this team is to cut Josh Oliver.  I thought he would be good but he's fragile like Foles.   Cut bait and move on.

It is quality posts like this that keep me coming back to this board.

(11-18-2019, 11:28 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 09:58 AM)Upper Wrote: Hard not to spend in FA when you draft as bad as Dave has, and Gene before him. Dave didn't inherit anyone worth extending, and then he drafted precious few players worth extending on top of that.

Seriously? Other than 2013 when he was stuck with Gene Smith's scouting staff, Dave has a good record in the draft. 

2014: Bortles never developed, but the rest of the 2014 draft was excellent. 
2015: Fowler turned out to be a good player, Cann is still starting. Yeldon was a mistake.
2016: Ramsey, Jack, and Ngakoue.
2017: Fournette, Robinson, Smoot, and Westbrook. Three starters and Smoot looking like he wasn't a bust after all.
2018: Chark and Harrison are good starters. Bryan looking like a future solid starter.
2019: Allen is a star in the making. Minshew! The rest need development but appear to be on track.

2014 Bortles was a bust and you can't bust on top 5 picks. Arob is gone, despite being very good. Lee turned out to not be a great pick. Colvin was good for a bit. Linder solid. Smith shined and then got paid and disappeared and then quit. The depth and develop portion of the draft 5th-7th, never became much if anything.
2015 Fowler was never as good as he was supposed to be. Cann is still starting even though he sucks (and rotates with4th rounder Richardson) Yeldon was a role player picked in the 2nd, Sample, Greene, Sterling, Bennett amounted to nothing. Koyack still a servicable backup TE, I guess.
2016 Ramsey home run pick that essentially netted us 2 first round picks for 2020, Jack everyone is wanting to replace already, Yan was a steal, 3 players not here or not in league and BA starting QB for Broncos
2017 (When babysitter Tom was hired because Caldwell hadn't been doing so hot) Fournette (being outshined by 2-3 RBs from same class, at least) Cam Robinson which many of the posters want replaced (I don't personally I think he's a good LT that was hindered by injuries), Smoot took awhile but he's a solid role player (3rd round pick though), Westbrook solid slot guy (but many fans want WR to be heavily upgraded) Brown, Myrick, and Marquez all gone
2018 Bryan is coming along, but not worthy of the first round selection. Chark is great. Harrison is great. Richardson is a rotational player with Cann, Tanner Lee was a throwaway pick, Jacobs and Cooke have been good.
2019 Allen was easy, couldn't screw that up. Everyone loves Minshew. But everyone else is very much, wait and see still.

Average, at best.
This doesn't include all the questionable FA moves, whether it was paying Jack, not paying Yan, signing and paying guys they shouldn't have, etc.
Some of that falls on Tom.
Which is why they both need to go.

How much are we paying Coughlin? I'm thinking of applying for his job once they get rid of him and post it on www.monster.com

Cryptic post by Hayden?

[Image: Screenshot-20191118-152512-01.jpg]

(11-18-2019, 05:12 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: How much are we paying Coughlin?  I'm thinking of applying for his job once they get rid of him and post it on www.monster.com

I don't know but when he was hired I remember everyone was excited and he was going to turn it all around (then we got fools gold in his first year here)

But all I can think of now is

[Image: CmjZjs9.gif]

there is no fixing the team at this point and time. just like he did the bills doug destroyed the jags franchises's winning ways. told you he was wrong person.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2019, 06:05 PM by Talented Kalamari.)

I say bring in an air raid offense.. could it succeed in the NFL? Won’t know until someone tries..

(11-18-2019, 05:15 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Cryptic post by Hayden?

[Image: Screenshot-20191118-152512-01.jpg]

Is he talking about Benching Foles? Firing Wash? Firing Marrone? Firing Coughlin??

Find out, on the next episode of Dragon Ball Z.