Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Tesla cybertruck

(01-04-2020, 07:47 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 04:54 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Yeah but how many slots do you give to electrics, and if the chargers are too close to the store people will start parking in them with non electrics. You can claim that you tow the cars, but that seems like a bad practice if you want to keep customers.

In ten years there will likely be well over ten million electric vehicles in use between Tesla and all the other brands, and charging providers will want to get their infrastructure deployed to get a share of the market serving them. I don't expect whole parking lots taken up by dedicated charger spots, but having several in every large merchant area is likely. By that I mean you will probably find 10+ charging spots at any Publix or Walmart or Target. I also doubt there will be people getting towed for parking in them often because they'll probably not be right next to the entrance like handicapped spots and parking isn't that hard to find for people that can walk a few yards. We'll see though.

Electric charging is never going to be as painless or as profitable as filling gas tanks.
It's always going to take longer.  
It's always going to take long enough that the owner is tempted to walk away - "let me park at the charger by my office, walk to work, check on it at lunch"
Someone's going to drive up to the charging stations, and they'll all have a car in them, but none of the cars will be charging.
The owners of the charging stations are going to have to charge for the time that the car is there, and it will be buggy, and it will piss EV owners off.  You think paying a dollar for an hour of parking by the courthhouse is bad?  Think about how much they would have to charge the EV owner to make sure he moves his car out of the way when he's done.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-08-2020, 01:24 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 07:47 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: In ten years there will likely be well over ten million electric vehicles in use between Tesla and all the other brands, and charging providers will want to get their infrastructure deployed to get a share of the market serving them. I don't expect whole parking lots taken up by dedicated charger spots, but having several in every large merchant area is likely. By that I mean you will probably find 10+ charging spots at any Publix or Walmart or Target. I also doubt there will be people getting towed for parking in them often because they'll probably not be right next to the entrance like handicapped spots and parking isn't that hard to find for people that can walk a few yards. We'll see though.

Electric charging is never going to be as painless or as profitable as filling gas tanks.
It's always going to take long enough that the owner is tempted to walk away - "let me park at the charger by my office, walk to work, check on it at lunch"
Someone's going to drive up to the charging stations, and they'll all have a car in them, but none of the cars will be charging.
The owners of the charging stations are going to have to charge for the time that the car is there, and it will be buggy, and it will piss EV owners off.  You think paying a dollar for an hour of parking by the courthhouse is bad?  Think about how much they would have to charge the EV owner to make sure he moves his car out of the way when he's done.

That's assuming not every parking spot will have a charger. But aside from that possibility, of course we're going to be dealing with EVs differently than we do with ICE cars. But the issues you raise here are in no way insurmountable. For instance, if in your case people are commuting to and from work they likely don't need a charging station if they have one at home (something certain apartment complexes are already starting to offer). Then the charging they'd need would be provided at home.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2020, 07:10 PM by SeldomRite.)

(01-08-2020, 01:24 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-04-2020, 07:47 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: In ten years there will likely be well over ten million electric vehicles in use between Tesla and all the other brands, and charging providers will want to get their infrastructure deployed to get a share of the market serving them. I don't expect whole parking lots taken up by dedicated charger spots, but having several in every large merchant area is likely. By that I mean you will probably find 10+ charging spots at any Publix or Walmart or Target. I also doubt there will be people getting towed for parking in them often because they'll probably not be right next to the entrance like handicapped spots and parking isn't that hard to find for people that can walk a few yards. We'll see though.

What do you mean never be as painless or profitable? If you charge your car at home and don't often take trips exceeding its range then it's much less painful than a gas powered car as you don't have to deal with gas stations at all, and only have to worry about charging stops on rare occasion.

The profitable part is what perplexes me, though. Do you mean for fuel station operators? If so then you're probably right as we'll likely see a decline in them over the next few decades as less people need their service. For places that just install chargers in their parking lots I expect it will be much more profitable as parking space goes from being a cost center to possibly generating revenue.

Tesla is now the world's most valuable automaker.

(07-10-2020, 06:48 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Tesla is now the world's most valuable automaker.

I wouldn’t say I’m shocked, but seriously?  That was fast.   I see a ton around but not so much as other makes even specific models, such as F-150.  Good for them  I suppose.  How do they calculate “valuable”?

(07-10-2020, 08:44 PM)Jags Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 06:48 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Tesla is now the world's most valuable automaker.

I wouldn’t say I’m shocked, but seriously?  That was fast.   I see a ton around but not so much as other makes even specific models, such as F-150.  Good for them  I suppose.  How do they calculate “valuable”?

By market cap I believe. I had no idea they were even in the realm of this but better a US company than a Japanese one (Toyota) I say.

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2020, 08:29 PM by surfon.)

I have a Chevy volt for about 4 years now. It,s not all electric but it gets me 35 to 40 miles in town. So to and from work no gas. To me the car is the best of both worlds most all daily driving and some errands are done on electric. Gas engine available after the electric is used up for long trips or to st. Aug or fernandina or such. It is probably the best car I have ever had. I bought it used so the price of an avg used car. It's not a tesla but that can come down the line when they are used and the prices drop. I really like the phev concept and hope manufacturers don't do away with it to quick. It is a GRT bridge concept for a new ev person.

I charge at home and never noticed a difference on the electric bill. I have a 220v charger I and an electrician friend put in so from zero to almost 40 miles in about 4 hours. I can get a quick 2 hour charge for about 20 miles for running around too.

Really it is a great car. Pure bev is ply the future, but I still love my phev.

(07-13-2020, 08:28 PM)surfon Wrote: I have a Chevy volt for about 4 years now.  It,s not all electric but it gets me 35 to 40 miles in town.  So to and from work no gas.  To me the car is the best of both worlds most all daily driving and some errands are done on electric.  Gas engine available after the electric is used up for long trips or to st. Aug or fernandina or such.  It is probably the best car I have ever had.  I bought it used so the price of an avg used car.  It's not a tesla but that can come down the line when they are used and the prices drop.  I really like the phev concept and hope manufacturers don't do away with it to quick.  It is a GRT bridge concept for a new ev person.

I charge at home and never noticed a difference on the electric bill.  I have a 220v charger I and an electrician friend put in so from zero to almost 40 miles in about 4 hours.  I can get a quick 2 hour charge for about 20 miles for running around too.

Really it is a great car.  Pure bev is ply the future, but I still love my phev.

That’s great that it works for you.  Genuine question, what happens on the gas side of things since you don’t drive far enough for it to kick in?   Wouldn’t that screw it up Over time not  getting used?

I'm not sold on the battery/hybrid technology for my needs.  Sure it might be great for a "daily driver" for someone that lives in the city and doesn't do a lot of work/hauling with their vehicle.  To go to work, the grocery store, etc. within a relatively short area it might make sense, but for me personally it doesn't.

The other thing that isn't talked about much is maintenance and/or replacement of the batteries.  It is my understanding that the cost is pretty high when it comes to such things.

I'll stick with my "polluting" gas/diesel vehicles and tools and know that they are reliable and do what I need to do when I need to do it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ok to answer so i do use the gas enough prly fill up 7 gallons or so once every month and a half and again gas is used on the weekends some so not an issue. Jagibelieve not saying it works for everyone the battery is an 8 yr 100k mile warranty so pretty safe chevy really holds back on battery use to only like 30 percent of capacity. There are volts out there going strong on original battery at close to 4ook miles.

I havent had to change brake pads yet at 60k miles due to regenerative braking. Electric motors and batteries last a loooong time. I will probably be going bev when i sell.

If the battery runs outta juice you still have the motor to get you where you need to go. I get your point tho if you drive 100 miles a day prly not for you.

The other point is driving on electric only is such a pleasure over a gas motor, ridiculously smooth and quiet.

I was a go fast car guy before also, mazdaspeed three and several mustang gts. Btw i still have my gas guzzling truck for the grunt work for now when needed. So i dont fart only ev dust. Jmo.
E