Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Any NHL Fans?

Recently, I have to say that I am at the point of no longer caring about the NFL and football nearly as much as I used to. It has a lot to do with our beloved Jaguars and their current state; it also has a lot to do with the nonsense in the NFL such as all of the various assaults that NFL players commit, the fights on the field just recently, kneeling/protesting our nation, the cost of attending games, etc.

With that said having played hockey when I was young along with the lack of basically everything that I mentioned about the NFL, I have an attraction for the sport. I have been to two Florida Panthers games this year and very much cannot wait to attend another. I know that the majority of you are in the Jacksonville area and there is not a local team. 

I didn't see a thread on this and thought I would see if anyone else shares this interest?

Go Panthers!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2019, 07:37 PM by rfc17.)

I'm in the same boat. I enjoyed playing hockey as a kid. Feels as though there is a lot less off the field drama with hockey players. Very little politics as well. Just about the sport which is why we watch. Been trying to get more into it but I just don't have the time to really invest. Have randomly been to two games this year. An Avs game in Colorado and saw the Islanders at Barclays this year. Both fun games and good environments. Don't live in a city with a team though so it'll be hard to adopt one. Thought of hopping on the Predators bandwagon since I have so many ties to Nashville and go back a few times a year.

Growing up though, do fondly remember pulling for the Florida Panthers when they made that run to the stanley cup finals 20+ years ago. Scott Mellanby, Ed Jovanowski, Rob Neidermeyer, John Vanbeisbrook. They'd throw rats onto the ice after every goal. Good times.

Big islanders fan. Only sport where my team is even half good right now.

Been a Flyers fan since the true Broad Street Bully days. Hard to follow them now unless I pay for some sort of hockey package...which I won't do.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-02-2019, 03:00 PM)Rico Wrote: Been a Flyers fan since the true Broad Street Bully days.  Hard to follow them now unless I pay for some sort of hockey package...which I won't do.

The '76 Flyers were scary.

Made the Red Army refuse to even get back on the ice with them. 

"Skilled. But Soft."

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019, 08:47 AM by RicoTx.)

(12-02-2019, 03:08 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 03:00 PM)Rico Wrote: Been a Flyers fan since the true Broad Street Bully days.  Hard to follow them now unless I pay for some sort of hockey package...which I won't do.

The '76 Flyers were scary.

Made the Red Army refuse to even get back on the ice with them. 

"Skilled. But Soft."

Bernie Parent made that team.  He was just unconscious in goal.  I've never see anything like it.  They regularly played shorthanded because of their...um...aggressive play and he was under 2 in goals against the two years they won the cup.  He was the reason they went downhill the third year.  After he took a stick in the eye he was never the same, even though his vision was supposedly OK.  They've been searching for a goalie ever since.  Maybe Hextall was close....maybe.

Schultz, Saleski, Kelly were thugs.  Schultz beat the snot out of Ed Rolfe in a cup semi-final one year.  It actually made me cringe.  Youtube that.  Don't know if I'd appreciate that type of hockey anymore.  Although, it wouldn't be allowed anyway.  It was a shame they were known for that because they had some offensive studs on that team in Clarke, Barber, MacLeish, and Leach.  As great as Clarke was, he was a cheap shot.  You never saw what he did, but you know he was doing something behind the play with the way the opposing players were acting. And they had great role players in Lonsberry, Dornhoefer, Kindrachuck, and Clement.  [BLEEP], that was over 40 years ago.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Reddit. It's how I watch every Panthers game unless I am at the game. 

Nice to see some replies. I don't know much about many of the historic players and teams being that I am somewhat new to actually paying attention and following The Panthers and the NHL teams in general. As a kid I was more into watching the Olympics & IIHF than NHL. My family is from Finland, hockey is a huge deal in a country like Finland. There are ofcourse Finnish players in the NHL but not nearly the amount of Canadians, Americans, etc. Despite that Team Finland always does very well in international play, in relative terms. I remember watching the 98 Nagano Olympics, taking Bronze after beating Canada. Even though they took the Bronze perhaps the most memorable game from that tournament was beating Sweden in the quarterfinals. I don't know if anyone can relate, but a Finland vs. Sweden hockey game is a huge deal to these countries. It's significance is greater than a Florida Georgia football game, or even the Superbowl, in relative terms to the small populations of these two Nordic Nations. Basically everyone knows what everyone else is doing that day.

I need something to fill the void left by caring less and less about the Jags week after week, year after year of disappointment. At this point I would rather watch a Panthers game than a Jaguars game. It hurts to say this, especially considering NHL teams have several games a week, longer season, vs the NFL. 

In general though I have to say that I am more and more beginning to enjoy watching hockey over football even when it isn't my favorite teams playing. It's just more fun to watch.

Panthers on tonight at 7! Thinking about going but it's a school night for my nine year old. Cheapest tickets on Stubhub as of last night, $8, realistically $30-40 for decent lower levels seats. Great value regardless.

In general, I haven't been although I went to the occasional Blues game as a kid growing up near St. Louis. My interest in hockey has been slightly rekindled by the ECHL Icemen, the games are fun and competitive even though the quality of the hockey isn't near NHL level.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

[Image: Montreal_Canadiens_logo_logotype_emblem.png]
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Hockey fan here.  Started as a Red Wings (& Detroit Tigers & Detroit Lions) fan while growing up in Michigan in the 70’s.

I followed the Panthers for a while back when Laus & Niedermayer played for them back in the 90’s.

I also went to several Lizard Kings games back in the 90’s before moving back to Alaska in 2000.

Nowadays I don’t really have a team I am invested in, but I like watching any games that come on tv.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019, 01:38 PM by Kane.)

ESPN+ isn't bad really. You don't get all the games obviously but there's a much better selection than waiting for the 2-3 games NBCSN plays a week.
And it offers a lot more than just some extra hockey if you're into boxing or MMA (I'm not, I basically pay the 5 bucks a month for the extra hockey)

OT:
I'm more of a fan of the NHL than NFL for a lot of the same reasons most people are falling away from the NFL. Rule changes, quality of product (and reffing).

Been a B's fan since 03 when hockey was really introduced to me by a co-worker who hated football and wanted to convert me to hockey. (It's more of a man's sport than football he used to say, in more words than I'm allowed to use)
Well the full conversion never happened (I can't quit my Jags, though sometimes I think I should lol) but I picked a team, not based on my Florida location which ultimately was my reasoning for following the Jaguars (after being a childhood Cowboys fan), but because after doing some research I really liked the history. Also, I always liked the Boston area but could never...ever... ever... root for the Pats or Celtics. Was really just a casual hockey (and baseball) fan at that point. Barely keeping up with the ins and outs, but whenever I'd catch a game I'd root for the Bruins.

I became a much more serious hockey fan in 08. Started finding ways of watching more games online and in bars. 
The B's rewarded my new found fandom with a championship in 2010-2011. Given me a lot of good seasons since. (And a heartbreaking finish vs the Blackhawks in 13)
Now I consider myself more of a hockey fan watching more hockey than I do football. And been to more live hockey games than football games. Pensacola actually has a solid SPHL team that has given us a few championships and very good seasons.

As long as they don't completely take fighting out of it... Hockey will always have me.
Go B's, and screw the Habs!!

Panthers 2-0 over the weekend, outscoring their opponents 9-2.

More and more, I am enjoying watching this team and this sport rather than that horrid football team we follow.

Penguins fan since birth (growing up in Pittsburgh).

Lost interest a few years ago but will watch the playoffs.