Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Your Absolute "Must Have" Players - 2020 NFL Draft

(12-02-2019, 12:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 12:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: So you think hes good under pressure?  Or even close to Minshew in that aspect?

I think he's o.k., he needs to work on it, as every young QB does, but he's definitely better than Minshew. The only thing that really scares me about Tua is his injury history. I think the kid is extremely talented, but can't stay healthy.

Tua isnt close too as good as Minshew under pressure.  Tua cant handle pressure

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-03-2019, 08:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 12:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I think he's o.k., he needs to work on it, as every young QB does, but he's definitely better than Minshew. The only thing that really scares me about Tua is his injury history. I think the kid is extremely talented, but can't stay healthy.

Tua isnt close too as good as Minshew under pressure.  Tua cant handle pressure
Good grief.

Why weren't you posting all these amazing Minshew thoughts last year when he was coming out? Tua does things that Minshew can't. His arm strength, accuracy, touch and ball positioning are pretty elite for college.

I love Minshew but you're acting like he's the next great QB. He has A LOT to prove and I would hate for you to see here in 2 years saying "Man. Jags passed on Tua because they thought Minshew was the next great thing"

Derrick Brown, Delpit, Okudah, Jackson, Thomas, Biaasz, Okwuegbunam, Higgins.
If we can get 3 off this list with our 2 firsts and a second, I'd be elated.

Middle to late round guys I like
Dejon Harris, AJ Dillon, Dezmon Patton, Leki Fotu, Jake Hansen.

(12-03-2019, 09:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 08:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Tua isnt close too as good as Minshew under pressure.  Tua cant handle pressure
Good grief.

Why weren't you posting all these amazing Minshew thoughts last year when he was coming out? Tua does things that Minshew can't. His arm strength, accuracy, touch and ball positioning are pretty elite for college.

I love Minshew but you're acting like he's the next great QB. He has A LOT to prove and I would hate for you to see here in 2 years saying "Man. Jags passed on Tua because they thought Minshew was the next great thing"

You're both right.
Tua is far better an athlete and his arm strength is far superior.
Tua is also awful under pressure. (Our OL isn't great so...) When Bama's OL broke down VS Clemsons DL, Tua looked lost, awful, and scared. There have been a handful of games vs the better teams with good DLs that Tua didn't look unstoppable as he has for most of his collegiate career. I was super big on Tua... but...
He is racking up an injury history that would make me weary of using a first round pick on him.
Though I'd be hard pressed to find myself saying Minshew > Tua in any argument.

Love me some Minshew and definitely want this team to build up around the QB room we currently have and address QB in 2021. But if somehow we get a chance to get Burrow (not likely) or Tua slides to the 2nd (also not likely) kinda gotta pull the trigger there.

But really, Tua has had an all star cast at WR his entire tenure at Bama. And his OL during his first starting season kept him super clean for the most part.
Something we don't have either of here, so I doubt his ability to come in and be a franchise savior, with the state of our franchise.

I feel like a lot of my favorite prospects aren’t illegible or aren’t coming out till next year:

Kyle Pitts
Pat Freiermuth
Ben Mason
Patrick Surtain
Trevor Lawrence

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2019, 11:46 AM by Caldrac.)

(12-03-2019, 12:53 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 09:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Good grief.

You're both right.
Tua is far better an athlete and his arm strength is far superior.
Tua is also awful under pressure. (Our OL isn't great so...) When Bama's OL broke down VS Clemsons DL, Tua looked lost, awful, and scared. There have been a handful of games vs the better teams with good DLs that Tua didn't look unstoppable as he has for most of his collegiate career. I was super big on Tua... but...
He is racking up an injury history that would make me weary of using a first round pick on him.
Though I'd be hard pressed to find myself saying Minshew > Tua in any argument.

Love me some Minshew and definitely want this team to build up around the QB room we currently have and address QB in 2021. But if somehow we get a chance to get Burrow (not likely) or Tua slides to the 2nd (also not likely) kinda gotta pull the trigger there.

But really, Tua has had an all star cast at WR his entire tenure at Bama. And his OL during his first starting season kept him super clean for the most part.
Something we don't have either of here, so I doubt his ability to come in and be a franchise savior, with the state of our franchise.

Well said. Pretty much sums up how I feel about this year's QB class. You're not landing Burrow unless you hand over an arsenal of draft picks to the Bengals for him. And there's a good chance the Bengals are already eyeing the Ohio native as their guy to begin with so any trades are probably off the table. 

Tagovailoa has been fun to watch. But over the last two years his inability to stay healthy is concerning. Especially considering he'll be facing much faster and heavier defenses at the next level. Any team eyeing him early better have their horses up front dialed in and ready to protect him as well. Which most teams that high rarely do. 

Virtually his entire WR group are pegged as 1st to early 2nd RD picks. All that said. If he slides to us in RD2. I'll be screaming for his selection. If not? 2021 has a promising class already between Lawrence and Fields.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2019, 01:38 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-03-2019, 09:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 08:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Tua isnt close too as good as Minshew under pressure.  Tua cant handle pressure
Good grief.

Lol, good grief, this is the pros not college.  what Minshew did in college is irrelevant to what he has showed in the pros.  With that said he led the nation in passing and was a Heisman candidate.  Tua had one of if not the best oline in college, the best WR corps, and one of the best run games. and struggling mightily when the slightest bit of pressure and when he didnt have all day to throw, not to mention he cant stay healthy . I'm acting like hes the next great QB?  No, I'm acting like he is 4-4 with this trash coaching staff, no TE, and a weak WR corps.  Not to mention he won 6 of 8 rookie of the weeks and has made some crazy plays that most WBs in this league cant make. If the guy isnt a Pro Bowl QB you want to draft a new QB every year, you would of gave up on a lot of the greats because a lot of them didnt have good rookie years.  Minshew has shown enough to try an get him a good coaching staff a decent oline and TE to see what he can do along with the experience.

(12-05-2019, 01:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Lol, good grief, this is the pros not college.  what Minshew did in college is irrelevant to what he has showed in the pros.  With that said he led the nation in passing and was a Heisman candidate.  Tua had one of if not the best oline in college, the best WR corps, and one of the best run games. and struggling mightily when the slightest bit of pressure and when he didnt have all day to throw, not to mention he cant stay healthy . I'm acting like hes the next great QB?  No, I'm acting like he is 4-4 with this trash coaching staff, no TE, and a weak WR corps.  Not to mention he won 6 of 8 rookie of the weeks and has made some crazy plays that most WBs in this league cant make. If the guy isnt a Pro Bowl QB you want to draft a new QB every year, you would of gave up on a lot of the greats because a lot of them didnt have good rookie years.  Minshew has shown enough to try an get him a good coaching staff a decent oline and TE to see what he can do along with the experience.

So you are saying we shouldn't go QB in rd 1 because we found a decent late rd 6 QB.  Just stop it and understand that Minshew doesnt make us not draft a 1st rd QB.  If the new FO is as stupid as the last then cool.  We have 1 hopeful QB and 2 wasted roster spots at QB behind him.  We need to draft another to see if they can have as much/or better success than a 6th rd QB with our team or we can just call Minshew the next brady if he's already proved enough.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

I'm not giving up on Minshew but I'm also not ready to bet my future on him. This is how you end up with Trubisky and Bortles for 4-5 years. If you refuse to admit your mistakes and instead double down on them, you're doomed.

I 100% would continue drafting QBs until I found the right one.

(12-05-2019, 02:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 01:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol, good grief, this is the pros not college.  what Minshew did in college is irrelevant to what he has showed in the pros.  With that said he led the nation in passing and was a Heisman candidate.  Tua had one of if not the best oline in college, the best WR corps, and one of the best run games. and struggling mightily when the slightest bit of pressure and when he didnt have all day to throw, not to mention he cant stay healthy . I'm acting like hes the next great QB?  No, I'm acting like he is 4-4 with this trash coaching staff, no TE, and a weak WR corps.  Not to mention he won 6 of 8 rookie of the weeks and has made some crazy plays that most WBs in this league cant make. If the guy isnt a Pro Bowl QB you want to draft a new QB every year, you would of gave up on a lot of the greats because a lot of them didnt have good rookie years.  Minshew has shown enough to try an get him a good coaching staff a decent oline and TE to see what he can do along with the experience.
I'm not giving up on Minshew but I'm also not ready to bet my future on him. This is how you end up with Trubisky and Bortles for 4-5 years. If you refuse to admit your mistakes and instead double down on them, you're doomed.

Agreed.

(12-05-2019, 02:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 01:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol, good grief, this is the pros not college.  what Minshew did in college is irrelevant to what he has showed in the pros.  With that said he led the nation in passing and was a Heisman candidate.  Tua had one of if not the best oline in college, the best WR corps, and one of the best run games. and struggling mightily when the slightest bit of pressure and when he didnt have all day to throw, not to mention he cant stay healthy . I'm acting like hes the next great QB?  No, I'm acting like he is 4-4 with this trash coaching staff, no TE, and a weak WR corps.  Not to mention he won 6 of 8 rookie of the weeks and has made some crazy plays that most WBs in this league cant make. If the guy isnt a Pro Bowl QB you want to draft a new QB every year, you would of gave up on a lot of the greats because a lot of them didnt have good rookie years.  Minshew has shown enough to try an get him a good coaching staff a decent oline and TE to see what he can do along with the experience.

You don't have to double down on him if hes not the guy but most of the time it takes a QB more than 1 year.  Minshew has flashed and you need to give the guy some help to see what he can do.  You only give QBs 1 year to prove their worth and 90 % of the QBs in this league would of failed with this staff and roster.

(12-05-2019, 02:26 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:

So you are saying we shouldn't go QB in rd 1 because we found a decent late rd 6 QB.  Just stop it and understand that Minshew doesnt make us not draft a 1st rd QB.  If the new FO is as stupid as the last then cool.  We have 1 hopeful QB and 2 wasted roster spots at QB behind him.  We need to draft another to see if they can have as much/or better success than a 6th rd QB with our team or we can just call Minshew the next brady if he's already proved enough.

What round he was drafted is irrelevant, I dont care if he was undrafted.  Minshew has been the best looking QB from this years class and to go 4-4 with this coaching staff, TEs , and oline is impressive.  Unless he falls flat these last 4 games I feel he has showed enough to give him a chance with a real coach and try to build around him.

(12-05-2019, 07:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 02:26 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: So you are saying we shouldn't go QB in rd 1 because we found a decent late rd 6 QB.  Just stop it and understand that Minshew doesnt make us not draft a 1st rd QB.  If the new FO is as stupid as the last then cool.  We have 1 hopeful QB and 2 wasted roster spots at QB behind him.  We need to draft another to see if they can have as much/or better success than a 6th rd QB with our team or we can just call Minshew the next brady if he's already proved enough.

Minshew has been the best looking QB from this years class and to go 4-4 with this coaching staff, TEs , and oline is impressive. 

Nah man... Kyler Murray has looked way better.
But I'll give you 2nd best from this class.

(12-06-2019, 11:09 AM)Kane Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 07:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Minshew has been the best looking QB from this years class and to go 4-4 with this coaching staff, TEs , and oline is impressive. 

Nah man... Kyler Murray has looked way better.

If you say so...

With a much better team around him and a smart offensive minded HC that built it's offense FOR him... he still hasn't looked very good. And compared to Minshew? Sorry, Kyler hasn't looked as good.

(12-06-2019, 11:17 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 11:09 AM)Kane Wrote: Nah man... Kyler Murray has looked way better.

If you say so...

With a much better team around him and a smart offensive minded HC that built it's offense FOR him... he still hasn't looked very good. And compared to Minshew? Sorry, Kyler hasn't looked as good.
Lol

Have you actually watched him play or you're just looking at his stats (which are still good btw). Every week, Kyler makes 2 or 3 throws that maybe 3 other guys can make in the league. He's going to be really good. Not to mention he has played behind an Oline worse than the Jags, Kirk has been hurt a ton, DJ has been hurt, he has an old old Fitz and zero TE.

Has he had bad games? Sure. He's a rookie. But I would trade Minshew and our 2nd 1st rounder for Murray in a heart beat. He will most likely have over 25 total TDs, 3,500 passing yards and over 550 rushing yards. He's going to be very good.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2019, 11:30 AM by Kane.)

(12-06-2019, 11:17 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(12-06-2019, 11:09 AM)Kane Wrote: Nah man... Kyler Murray has looked way better.

If you say so...

Much better team? Their OL sucks and they have no D
They've had a carousel of RBs and he has an old Fitz and rookie Kirk at WR (who was hurt for 3 games)
And they play in the NFCW which is a much better division.

I agree with you on this one. Why draft a quarterback next year when:

1. The only guy likely to succeed from this draft at this position will be gone with the 1st or 2nd pick. Tua, Herbert and Fromm all have major question marks.

2. Despite their horrendous season, they are actually in a good spot regarding their q.b.'s going into next season. Foles may not be the long-term answer, but it's too early to write him off despite his very disappointing season. Minshew, on the other hand, has shown way more than anyone could have expected. With a better offensive line and tight end, I believe he has what it takes to succeed in the NFL. His intangibles are off the charts and he has a strong enough arm to make all the necessary throws. However, if both guys flame out next season they will have a great shot at getting either Lawrence or Fields. 

3. As you said, no quarterback can succeed without a decent offensive line. I hope they use two of their top 4 picks on offensive linemen, including one in the 1st round. Having Wirfs or Thomas at left tackle would likely be a big upgrade with Robinson moving to guard and upgrading that position, also. They could then take the interior lineman in either round 2 or 3. This revamped line would make things much easier for whoever emerges as the starting q.b. next season.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2019, 01:34 PM by Caldrac.)

This team is in a good spot right now. Hopefully Khan doesn't botch the next hiring. I am going to assume Marrone and Coughlin are out of here after all of the nonsense that's been reported between the two. Seems like a chasm between them. Not sure where this will leave Caldwell but there shouldn't be any legitimate rush to add a QB in 2020 when they can focus on getting quite a few things patched up along the trenches and back end of the defense. Unless Burrow falls to our first pick in RD1 or Tagovailoa slips to us in RD2 there's no reason to pull the trigger on a QB in 2020.

You're on the hook with Foles contract in 2020 no matter what you do. And unless Minshew completely implodes with these next four games he's really earned the right to compete for the job again during training camp next summer. We'll just end up like the Redskins & Dolphins in this case. No thanks. Just patch some holes up, let these two guys compete under new leadership and if they stink it up? They stink it up.

2021 gives you a shot at two promising prospects with broader skill sets and less questions regarding their physical builds and durability between Fields and Lawrence. Remember what happened last time they rushed a decision at QB? It was in 2003. It ended up doing three things that embarrassed the [BLEEP] out of us in the NFL.

1. You gave Brunell away to the Redskins for practically nothing and he ended up leading them to the play-off's, clearly indicating he had at least one more good year in the tank.

2. You hindered Garrard's growth who showed flashes here and there with Brunell being out.

3. Leftwich had NO business being drafted that highly at that time. His mechanics were AWFUL. He had a cannon for an arm but the accuracy of a blind man throwing darts. He never had a single season here where he completed 60% of his passes.

2004's class comes around and you missed out on NFL royalty in Eli Manning, the next great Gunslinger in Philip Rivers & Big Ben who only showed everybody as a rookie that he was the real deal and could make things happen with his mobility. They set us back for 15 years with that decision. Passing up on Suggs in the process of rushing for Leftwich. Wish I could have punched Shaq Harris in his face for that one.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-07-2019, 01:24 PM)Caldrac Wrote: This team is in a good spot right now. Hopefully Khan doesn't botch the next hiring. I am going to assume Marrone and Coughlin are out of here after all of the nonsense that's been reported between the two. Seems like a chasm between them. Not sure where this will leave Caldwell but there shouldn't be any legitimate rush to add a QB in 2020 when they can focus on getting quite a few things patched up along the trenches and back end of the defense. Unless Burrow falls to our first pick in RD1 or Tagovailoa slips to us in RD2 there's no reason to pull the trigger on a QB in 2020.

You're on the hook with Foles contract in 2020 no matter what you do. And unless Minshew completely implodes with these next four games he's really earned the right to compete for the job again during training camp next summer. We'll just end up like the Redskins & Dolphins in this case. No thanks. Just patch some holes up, let these two guys compete under new leadership and if they stink it up? They stink it up.

2021 gives you a shot at two promising prospects with broader skill sets and less questions regarding their physical builds and durability between Fields and Lawrence. Remember what happened last time they rushed a decision at QB? It was in 2003. It ended up doing three things that embarrassed the [BLEEP] out of us in the NFL.

1. You gave Brunell away to the Redskins for practically nothing and he ended up leading them to the play-off's, clearly indicating he had at least one more good year in the tank.

2. You hindered Garrard's growth who showed flashes here and there with Brunell being out.

3. Leftwich had NO business being drafted that highly at that time. His mechanics were AWFUL. He had a cannon for an arm but the accuracy of a blind man throwing darts. He never had a single season here where he completed 60% of his passes.

2004's class comes around and you missed out on NFL royalty in Eli Manning, the next great Gunslinger in Philip Rivers & Big Ben who only showed everybody as a rookie that he was the real deal and could make things happen with his mobility. They set us back for 15 years with that decision. Passing up on Suggs in the process of rushing for Leftwich. Wish I could have punched Shaq Harris in his face for that one.

I was never a fan of Garrard at all. I couldn't wait until he was gone. People tried to make something out of him that wasn't there. As far as Leftwich, you're right he had a cannon. I liked his accuracy as well, but he had absolutely no touch on his passes, what so ever. He tried to rocket everything. Even screen passes were launched as hard as he could. He nearly broke the fingers of his receivers and that resulted in a lot of drops. He just didn't know how to take something off his passes on short throws. Add that to his overly long and slow delivery and it just didn't work.

After seeing Burrow in this game. . .

I don't know man. Might want to consider forking over two first round picks to the Bengals for him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk