Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Your Absolute "Must Have" Players - 2020 NFL Draft

If you want Burrow, you're going to have to shell over more than 2 firsts, I'd imagine.

The fact that he's a relatively local kid (sure wish he'd have played for the Alma Mater, OhioU, where his dad was DC for ages) would likely get the GM murderized if he dealt away the pick for anything less than a Ricky Williams or RGIII level of deal.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-07-2019, 07:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: After seeing Burrow in this game. . .

I don't know man. Might want to consider forking over two first round picks to the Bengals for him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'd give up our top first round pick in this draft as well as a 4th, Cam Robinson and both first round picks in 2021. We use our other first round pick in 2020 to address the OT position and our 2nd rounder to address OG, while signing DT Jordan Phillips in free agency.

(12-09-2019, 06:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 07:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: After seeing Burrow in this game. . .

I don't know man. Might want to consider forking over two first round picks to the Bengals for him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'd give up our top first round pick in this draft as well as a 4th, Cam Robinson and both first round picks in 2021. We use our other first round pick in 2020 to address the OT position and our 2nd rounder to address OG, while signing DT Jordan Phillips in free agency.

Not sure how the value and points work so not sure if that'd be enough, or if they'd want Cam who is on the final year of his rookie deal next year iirc.

But honestly.... if I'm Cincy... I don't even field offers. Even with the haul you can get for trading out of 1 this year... Burrow is too good.

(12-10-2019, 11:31 AM)Kane Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 06:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'd give up our top first round pick in this draft as well as a 4th, Cam Robinson and both first round picks in 2021. We use our other first round pick in 2020 to address the OT position and our 2nd rounder to address OG, while signing DT Jordan Phillips in free agency.

Not sure how the value and points work so not sure if that'd be enough, or if they'd want Cam who is on the final year of his rookie deal next year iirc.

But honestly.... if I'm Cincy... I don't even field offers. Even with the haul you can get for trading out of 1 this year... Burrow is too good.

Agreed, but my friends (who are Bengals fans) wanna trade down and acquire multiple picks. They know their entire O-Line is God-awful and they said what's the point of drafting Burrow, if he's gonna get killed behind the O-Line. They literally don't have a single decent O-Lineman. Their best guy is arguably a rookie who hasn't seen the field yet, due to injury, (Jonah Williams.)

(12-10-2019, 12:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 11:31 AM)Kane Wrote: Not sure how the value and points work so not sure if that'd be enough, or if they'd want Cam who is on the final year of his rookie deal next year iirc.

Agreed, but my friends (who are Bengals fans) wanna trade down and acquire multiple picks. They know their entire O-Line is God-awful and they said what's the point of drafting Burrow, if he's gonna get killed behind the O-Line. They literally don't have a single decent O-Lineman. Their best guy is arguably a rookie who hasn't seen the field yet, due to injury, (Jonah Williams.)

Yeah that'd be great... but you and I both know... what fans want and what franchises do don't always (or rarely) align.

Not sure I'd feel real great about Burrow behind our line either, except I think Linder can still be serviceable and can move to guard., Robinson can move to guard if we get a tackle and Taylor probably improves in year 2. So we really only need 2 OL and if one is a center, we likely can get that in round 2 or 3.

(12-10-2019, 12:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 11:31 AM)Kane Wrote: Not sure how the value and points work so not sure if that'd be enough, or if they'd want Cam who is on the final year of his rookie deal next year iirc.

Lol, i dont think Cincy front office would be that stupid to pass on Burrow.  Even if the oline isnt ready you can sit Burrow for a year and then play him next year.  You dont pass on a QB like Burrow when it's been a news for years like Cincy.  88% Want Burrow

http://thebengalsboard.com/polls.php?act...ts&pid=575

(12-10-2019, 09:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 12:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed, but my friends (who are Bengals fans) wanna trade down and acquire multiple picks. They know their entire O-Line is God-awful and they said what's the point of drafting Burrow, if he's gonna get killed behind the O-Line. They literally don't have a single decent O-Lineman. Their best guy is arguably a rookie who hasn't seen the field yet, due to injury, (Jonah Williams.)

Lol, i dont think Cincy front office would be that stupid to pass on Burrow.  Even if the oline isnt ready you can sit Burrow for a year and then play him next year.  You dont pass on a QB like Burrow when it's been a news for years like Cincy.  88% Want Burrow

Don't sleep on how dumb Mike Brown and his family are. Anything is possible with that team.

(12-10-2019, 09:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 12:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed, but my friends (who are Bengals fans) wanna trade down and acquire multiple picks. They know their entire O-Line is God-awful and they said what's the point of drafting Burrow, if he's gonna get killed behind the O-Line. They literally don't have a single decent O-Lineman. Their best guy is arguably a rookie who hasn't seen the field yet, due to injury, (Jonah Williams.)

Yeah.... but if they take Burrow #1 overall, he ain't sitting a single down.

(12-11-2019, 11:26 AM)Kane Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 09:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol, i dont think Cincy front office would be that stupid to pass on Burrow.  Even if the oline isnt ready you can sit Burrow for a year and then play him next year.  You dont pass on a QB like Burrow when it's been a news for years like Cincy.  88% Want Burrow

Yeah.... but if they take Burrow #1 overall, he ain't sitting a single down.
If they cant protect the QB I bet he will sit.  You dont want to throw him to the wolves and risk injury.  He could sit and learn for a year like Mahomes and a bunch of the other greats did

(12-11-2019, 02:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 11:26 AM)Kane Wrote: Yeah.... but if they take Burrow #1 overall, he ain't sitting a single down.
If they cant protect the QB I bet he will sit.  You dont want to throw him to the wolves and risk injury.  He could sit and learn for a year like Mahomes and a bunch of the other greats did

Mahomes sat because Smith was playing well and that team was better overall anyway.

Burrow, in theory, could sit... but once they are 0-2 or 0-3, they're throwing the kid out there. Coaches get desperate trying to save their jobs.

I understand your logic... it just doesn't happen anymore. Teams claim the guy is gonna sit and then he doesn't.
Hell, in DC they knew better than to trot out Haskins and 2 games into Bill Callahan's tenure as interim, boom, here comes Haskins.
Maybe the hold on to Dalton... which could give them enough cushion to not be pressed to throw Burrow in. But even still.. Dalton starts out slow going 0-fer... Burrow will be in. He certainly won't sit the whole year.

And really... they could have a much improved OL next year with a FA signing or two and grabbing some 2nd or 3rd rounders too.

(12-11-2019, 02:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 11:26 AM)Kane Wrote: Yeah.... but if they take Burrow #1 overall, he ain't sitting a single down.
Or. He can play right away like Kyler, Cam, Peyton, Prescott, Wentz, Ryan, Wilson, Marino.... That's just off the top of my head.

The point is that there isn't a right or wrong way to play a rookie QB. To me, they either got the goods or they don't. I don't think Mahomes would be any different today if he had played as a rookie because Andy Reid is that good.

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2019, 11:09 AM by Kane.)

(12-11-2019, 03:39 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 02:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If they cant protect the QB I bet he will sit.  You dont want to throw him to the wolves and risk injury.  He could sit and learn for a year like Mahomes and a bunch of the other greats did
Or. He can play right away like Kyler, Cam, Peyton, Prescott, Wentz, Ryan, Wilson, Marino.... That's just off the top of my head.

The point is that there isn't a right or wrong way to play a rookie QB. To me, they either got the goods or they don't. I don't think Mahomes would be any different today if he had played as a rookie because Andy Reid is that good.

True...
If playing the rookie gets him shell shocked, he wasn't the dude.
If Burrow is the guy everyone thinks he is, and I think he is, then he should start right away.
As bad as the OL is... it isn't like Dalton is sacked on every play and getting hurt.

The only reason to sit a first round QB is if your other QB is good enough to win (Alex Smith, Flacco-ish, something along those lines)

(12-13-2019, 11:08 AM)Kane Wrote:
(12-11-2019, 03:39 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Or. He can play right away like Kyler, Cam, Peyton, Prescott, Wentz, Ryan, Wilson, Marino.... That's just off the top of my head.

True...
If Burrow is the guy everyone thinks he is, and I think he is, then he should start right away.
As bad as the OL is... it isn't like Dalton is sacked on every play and getting hurt.

The only reason to sit a first round QB is if your other QB is good enough to win (Alex Smith, Flacco-ish, something along those lines)

But Dalton is good enough to win if Green and William's is healthy.  I would always sit the rookie until the veteran just isnt getting it done or until Burrow is ready.  Sometimes the rookie isnt ready right away.  Throwing him into the line of fire when you have one of the worst oline in the league can hurt a QBs progression imo.  I think it killed David Carr and a number of others.  Now will their oline be that bad next year?  Have to wait and see but I would start Dalton next year regardless if he is still on the roster even if they draft Burrow

(12-13-2019, 11:33 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 11:08 AM)Kane Wrote: True...

But Dalton is good enough to win if Green and William's is healthy.  I would always sit the rookie until the veteran just isnt getting it done or until Burrow is ready.  Sometimes the rookie isnt ready right away.  Throwing him into the line of fire when you have one of the worst oline in the league can hurt a QBs progression imo.  I think it killed David Carr and a number of others.  Now will their oline be that bad next year?  Have to wait and see but I would start Dalton next year regardless if he is still on the roster even if they draft Burrow

I don't think David Carr was really that good.

Like I said, if getting banged around hurts a QBs progression, he wasn't "that dude".
Plus Burrow is a better athlete that is able to make some plays with his legs. Also, I don't think the Bengals OL is that bad Miami, the Jets, and Chicago have all allowed more sacks.
And with a little help via draft and/or FA the OL could be better in just one off season.

IF you have a guy that can win ahead of him, yeah sit the dude. But Dalton and Finley have proven to not be able to win.

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2019, 12:27 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-13-2019, 12:00 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 11:33 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: But Dalton is good enough to win if Green and William's is healthy.  I would always sit the rookie until the veteran just isnt getting it done or until Burrow is ready.  Sometimes the rookie isnt ready right away.  Throwing him into the line of fire when you have one of the worst oline in the league can hurt a QBs progression imo.  I think it killed David Carr and a number of others.  Now will their oline be that bad next year?  Have to wait and see but I would start Dalton next year regardless if he is still on the roster even if they draft Burrow

I don't think David Carr was really that good.

Like I said, if getting banged around hurts a QBs progression, he wasn't "that dude".
Plus Burrow is a better athlete that is able to make some plays with his legs. Also, I don't think the Bengals OL is that bad Miami, the Jets, and Chicago have all allowed more sacks.
And with a little help via draft and/or FA the OL could be better in just one off season.

IF you have a guy that can win ahead of him, yeah sit the dude. But Dalton and Finley have proven to not be able to win.
Youre trying to say a QB getting hurt cant affect his progression?
Dalton has made the playoffs 4 different years.  You're not going to win the SB in a QBs rookie year and with that roster.  A rookie QB has never won the SB. Alson how many times a QB is getting sacked isnt the only factor determining how good a oline is. WR not getting open and the WB holding the ball too long also have to take into account

(12-13-2019, 12:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 12:00 PM)Kane Wrote: I don't think David Carr was really that good.

Youre trying to say a QB getting hurt cant affect his progression?
Dalton has made the playoffs 4 different years.  You're not going to win the SB in a QBs rookie year and with that roster.  A rookie QB has never won the SB.  Alson how many times a QB is getting sacked isnt the only factor determining how good a oline is.  WR not getting open and the WB holding the ball too long also have to take into account

While I can't speak for Kane. I would think he's maybe implying that if your QB can't overcome an injury to the degree in which his level of play improves or returns to his form then he's probably not a good QB. 

I tend to lean that way. Many QB's have taken some licks over the years and picked up where they left off pretty quickly. McNair, McNabb, Watson, Rodgers, Brady & Luck have all proven that. Favre playing through multiple injuries throughout his career proved that. 

I don't completely fault Dalton though for the shortcomings with the Bengals. Same goes for Marvin Lewis. That team's front office and ownership is well, well known for being extremely cheap and stingy when it comes to selecting and maintaining talent worth their salt. This is why you've seen this team historically take chances on players like PacMan Jones, Vontaze Burfict, Antonio Callaway & Joe Mixon. High talent with a lot of concerns off the field. 

I also fully agree with you regarding the dynamics revolving around a QB getting sacked. There's plenty of variables between bad receivers, holding onto the football too long, bad offensive line play, broken plays, blown assignments, etc. 

I think the number one thing that wasn't said though is just how tough it is to win in the AFC North. The Steelers & Ravens for the most part, since at least 2000, they've tend to dominate off and on in that division. That's why I give credit to Marvin Lewis during his streaks of winning that division or at least being above .500 because I know it's tough there with that cheapskate of an owner and front office. 

If they take Burrow number one overall. He's absolutely starting day one. Because he's too good to sit and it's the Bengals with a young head coach. They can't afford to let him sit. And that's just the trend of today's NFL. Most teams don't sit rookie QB's anymore. For better or worse.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

For where he is projected now, I would like to see Jacob Eason in teal and let him sit a year and see if we can develop him.
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]