Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
7 years of this rebuild and ths team is like Swiss Cheese! Why not fire everybody?

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019, 11:03 AM by Kane.)

I don't think the secondary is a total overhaul at all.
AJ is still playing well and Harrison is good. Hayden is great in the nickel and Herndon is at least a serviceable backup.

I think DL is a strength, though a really good NT is definitely needed.

I think Chark is a future star at WR honestly, but probably need to upgrade the #2 and #3 spots.

LB is an issue for sure. OL is a mess but I think both Guard spots and Center are bigger issues than either OT.

RBs are really a dime a dozen if you have a good OL. Fix OL first and that position will come along.
And Tight End needs a Lewis type (block first, receive second) and we gotta see if Oliver can stay healthy and develop. I like James O's development so far honestly.

IMO QB and RB should be the last positions drafted on what is seeming like a certain rebuild on the horizon. Fix the OL first. Then NT. Then address back 7 of D. Then skill positions.
2021 is where we need to revisit QB and RB and probably add more to the DL and skill positions.

But yes. Fire everyone in the front office and coach staff because I trust none of them to make the right choices to get this process done with so many premium draft picks to get a quick turnaround done.

(12-03-2019, 10:38 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 10:15 PM)Newton Wrote: I think we have a better foundation than people give us credit for: Stud book end DEs, decent interior pash rush, pro bowl corner in Bouye, number 1 received developing in Chark, serviceable number 2 in Deedee,  and potential rookie of the year QB if he had played all year. We need o-line and more o-line. Get that fixed and this team will look a hell of a lot better next year.

Out of the 22 starting positions, how many do you think are starting caliber on a super bowl aspiring level team? I think maybe like 5 or 6 with the potential to have a handful more if they develop properly. We still need like half of a starting lineup to start seriously competing for anything of value. That's a long way to go considering the embarrassingly huge amount of high picks and FA $$$ Dave has spent over the past 7 seasons.

AJ (#2 CB)
Yan
Allen
Harrison
Campbell (though his age is definitely showing, I still think he'd be rostered on a SB caliber team)
Chark (he's good, and has been getting good numbers from not good QB play. Any team would have him as a #2 and probably quite a few would take him as their #1)

After that.... it's slim pickings for sure... I wouldn't put a single one of our OL guys on a SB team with how they have played recently. I would suggest maybe Jack if he was playing WLB would probably be starting quality for a SB roster.... but that might be stretching it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019, 12:07 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I thought we had a 10-Year Rebuild Plan.

You all can't give up now.

We're almost there.

Just hang on a few years.

It's going to get better.  

We're 3 years away from being elite.

We Believe That We Will Win !!!

The botttom line is no respectable GM is going to come here with grandpa Coughlin hovering around. Time to sweep it all up. Keep some core players but entire new staff outside of some positional coaches.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Just give me a different head coach and keep Coughlin.

The coaching staff is gone. I think we can bank on that. Just leading the league in penalties after the time they've had to fix it is enough to jettison this staff IMO.  The F.O. is anyone's guess.  I'd be fine replacing the TC/Caldwell situation with one GM.  I also understand why some would consider keeping Caldwell, but I'm done defending him.

Regarding the roster -  I don't think it's that bad.
There's talent there even if it isn't all premier talent.

A+ players to build around:
Chark
Minshew
Josh Allen
Yannick Ngakoue (pay him)

Injured Potential Quality Talent:
Oliver

Quality starters:
Harrison
Westbrook
J Taylor (development will be key - may be moved)
Linder
Jack (if moved outside)
Fournette  (if used properly in a committee)
DJ Hayden
Logan Cooke
Lambo
Chris Conley (he's had a few drops but has also has been left wide open a lot)
Campbell (probably one more good year depending on cap scenarios)
Bouye
Lastly - Cam Robinson  - could be on this list if the next staff finds him a new position successfully

Quality Rotational and Quality Depth Players:
Bryan
Cole
Armstead
Leon Jacobs
Richardson
Smoot
Quincy Williams
Jarrod Wilson
Lerentee McCray

Guys with potential to be role players or good depth:
Wingard
Jarrod Wilson
Jake Ryan
Donald Payne
Ozigbo
O'Leary
Charles Jones (intriguing H-Back ability)
Josh Dobbs
DeValve - (good blocker - decent hands - no wheels)

Bottom Line  - There is solid talent here and the proper use of draft capital and cap management should be able to produce a much more competitive product than what we've seen this season. 
I suspect we will see this executed by a new coaching staff and a new boss in the F.O.

(12-04-2019, 11:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The coaching staff is gone. I think we can bank on that. Just leading the league in penalties after the time they've had to fix it is enough to jettison this staff IMO.  The F.O. is anyone's guess.  I'd be fine replacing the TC/Caldwell situation with one GM.  I also understand why some would consider keeping Caldwell, but I'm done defending him.

Chark
Minshew
Josh Allen

Oliver

Quality starters:
Harrison
Westbrook
Linder
Jack (if moved outside)
DJ Hayden
Logan Cooke
Lambo
Bouye
Lastly - Cam Robinson  - could be on this list if the next staff finds him a new position successfully

Bryan
Cole
Armstead
Leon Jacobs
Richardson
Smoot
Quincy Williams
Jarrod Wilson
Lerentee McCray

Wingard
Jarrod Wilson
Jake Ryan
Donald Payne
Ozigbo
O'Leary
Josh Dobbs

Bottom Line  - There is solid talent here and the proper use of draft capital and cap management should be able to produce a much more competitive product than what we've seen this season. 
I suspect we will see this executed by a new coaching staff and a new boss in the F.O.

I'd probably move a few of those guys from quality starters into just starters but agreed with the overall thesis. Its probably around an average roster and should be above average with better coaching and these new draft picks coming in.

(12-04-2019, 11:14 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The coaching staff is gone. I think we can bank on that. Just leading the league in penalties after the time they've had to fix it is enough to jettison this staff IMO.  The F.O. is anyone's guess.  I'd be fine replacing the TC/Caldwell situation with one GM.  I also understand why some would consider keeping Caldwell, but I'm done defending him.

Chark
Minshew
Josh Allen

Oliver

Quality starters:
Harrison
Westbrook
Linder
Jack (if moved outside)
DJ Hayden
Logan Cooke
Lambo
Bouye

Bryan
Cole
Armstead
Leon Jacobs
Richardson
Smoot
Quincy Williams
Jarrod Wilson
Lerentee McCray

Wingard
Jarrod Wilson
Jake Ryan
Donald Payne
Ozigbo
O'Leary
Josh Dobbs

+1

Good overall analysis. It wouldn’t surprise me if Khan keeps Coughlin. But a clean sweep wouldn’t surprise me either. I’m ready for the team to have an elite GM rather than just a competent one in Caldwell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019, 11:41 AM by Upper.)

A lot needs to improve/develop/change for more than half of those quality starters to be truly quality. I don't consider any of Harrison, Westbrook, Taylor, Cam, Jack, Fournette, Conley, or Robinson good enough to start on a super bowl aspiring team right now.

I would move Chark down to quality starter and Minshew to a new "potential core piece" category that includes guys like Harrison, Jack, and Taylor.

(12-04-2019, 11:38 AM)Upper Wrote: A lot needs to improve/develop/change for more than half of those quality starters to be truly quality. I don't consider any of Harrison, Westbrook, Taylor, Cam, Jack, Fournette, Conley, or Robinson good enough to start on a super bowl aspiring team right now.

"quality starter" is a pretty broad stroke. 
Intentionally. 
Every SB team has a number of guys of this type of talent spread about their roster. 
Nobody fields 22 all pros.
That list for the Jags will be presented with competition in the coming offseason. Hopefully upgrading the roster. 
This is why I didn't state "all of the following players will start in 2020 and we will win the super bowl."

(12-04-2019, 11:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 11:38 AM)Upper Wrote: A lot needs to improve/develop/change for more than half of those quality starters to be truly quality. I don't consider any of Harrison, Westbrook, Taylor, Cam, Jack, Fournette, Conley, or Robinson good enough to start on a super bowl aspiring team right now.

I don't think any of them are even average starters yet.

(12-04-2019, 11:49 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 11:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: "quality starter" is a pretty broad stroke. 

I don't think any of them are even average starters yet.

LOL

Yeah - of course you don't.

The list is part of a roster breakdown. The players labeled "quality" here are guys you keep and selectively present with competition. This isn't an attempt to compare them to other teams' middle core. It's a breakdown of OUR talent into tiers.  You can nitpick and disparage it all you want.

My intent is clear and reasonable.

(12-04-2019, 11:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: My intent is clear and reasonable.

Mostly, yes. It just needs another grouping to separate the guys who are already quality starters like Bouye, Hayden, Chark, etc and the ones who could be there with the right development or role like Harrison, Taylor, Jack, etc. Having them in the same group doesn't make sense.

I would move Chark down to quality starter and Minshew to a new "potential core piece" category that includes guys like Harrison, Jack, and Taylor.

I think that's a bit overboard. I think of a quality starter as a guy that can fulfill a role in a good scheme and only get regularly beat in that role by elite level players.

No one has elite level players at every position, you need players that aren't just blocking dummies and a scheme that keeps them from regularly getting pwned by elite players. The Jaguars a couple of years ago had elite level defensive players and quality starters all over the field. This year a lot of those guys are gone or have declined, it happens. That's why drafting talent over need is so important. The draft isn't about this year, it's about what happens to your team 2-10 years from now.

As Vic often said, the draft is about taking care of the future, and if you take care of the future then the future will take care of the present.

(12-04-2019, 12:07 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:

I think that's a bit overboard. I think of a quality starter as a guy that can fulfill a role in a good scheme and only get regularly beat in that role by elite level players.

No one has elite level players at every position, you need players that aren't just blocking dummies and a scheme that keeps them from regularly getting pwned by elite players. The Jaguars a couple of years ago had elite level defensive players and quality starters all over the field. This year a lot of those guys are gone or have declined, it happens. That's why drafting talent over need is so important. The draft isn't about this year, it's about what happens to your team 2-10 years from now.

As Vic often said, the draft is about taking care of the future, and if you take care of the future then the future will take care of the present.

This is like one of those clichés that sounds great but doesn't add up for practical application. 

There will be multiple picks for every team in the 2020 draft that will undoubtedly be about RIGHT NOW. 
They will be about need.  Every single team will sacrifice value for need to some degree at multiple picks. 
That's how the draft works, and that's what the Jags will do regardless of who is determining the pick. 

There also isn't a GM on the planet choosing a draft pick over another option based on his prognostication of ten years down the road. 

This is like the squirrel storing away nuts for the winter but dying from emaciation in the process.

(12-04-2019, 11:38 AM)Upper Wrote: I would move Chark down to quality starter

Chark has been playing at a very high level with less than ideal QB play and overall play around him to be real.

I don't get how people keep trying to knock Chark down a peg when he made a substantial leap from year 1 to 2 and is on par or better than most #1s in the league outside of Nuke Hop, Mike Thomas, and Mike Evans.

Chark
Minshew
Josh Allen

Oliver

Quality starters:
Harrison
Westbrook
Linder
Jack (if moved outside)
DJ Hayden
Logan Cooke
Lambo
Bouye

Bryan
Cole
Armstead
Leon Jacobs
Richardson
Smoot
Quincy Williams
Jarrod Wilson
Lerentee McCray

Wingard
Jarrod Wilson
Jake Ryan
Donald Payne
Ozigbo
O'Leary
Josh Dobbs

Haha!  You've got our kickers listed as quality starters.  Not saying it's wrong or anything, but it struck me funny #becauseGeneSmith

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019, 01:08 PM by JagFan81.)

(12-04-2019, 11:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Intentionally. 
Every SB team has a number of guys of this type of talent spread about their roster. 
That list for the Jags will be presented with competition in the coming offseason. Hopefully upgrading the roster. 
This is why I didn't state "all of the following players will start in 2020 and we will win the super bowl."

I get your point. Good analysis as always NYC. I look them as players who can take the next step and be in that A+ category. Take someone like Cooper Kupp with the Rams. Wouldn't be a #1 WR but how they use him makes him A+

I think we have a much better foundation to build from. There are good players on this team and youngsters who have flashed. No team is full of stars and you need those UDFA and late round picks to improve and be good enough to play at the same level as the starters.

I want depth. We need to fix the Oline, LB's and DB's in the off season and the coaching decisions will effect a lot of that. But for 2 years, we lose 2 guys from a position group and it collapses. You cant win in the NFL missing a unit. I just want a focus on guys who fit the scheme, fit what we use them for. Theres no point using a run stopping LB like Goode in zone pass coverage. He becomes a target to pick on.

(12-04-2019, 01:01 PM)scottyg Wrote:

Haha!  You've got our kickers listed as quality starters.  Not saying it's wrong or anything, but it struck me funny #becauseGeneSmith

It's a division of our roster into tiers. For my purposes here, that's exactly where those guys belong. 
I get why it's a bit comical - but I wasn't interested in trying to divide this list into 9 different categories. 

Obviously - folks are going to take issue with parts of my roster division -  and they are all welcome to present their own superior classification of current talent.

I think some people underestimate just how good Chark is. He's a Pro-Bowl quality player.

(12-04-2019, 01:30 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I think some people underestimate just how good Chark is. He's a Pro-Bowl quality player.
Top 15 in receiving yards. 2nd in receiving TDs.

I'd say he's doing pretty well.