Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
7 years of this rebuild and ths team is like Swiss Cheese! Why not fire everybody?

(12-04-2019, 01:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 01:30 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I think some people underestimate just how good Chark is. He's a Pro-Bowl quality player.
Top 15 in receiving yards. 2nd in receiving TDs.

I'd say he's doing pretty well.

Most of the folks disparaging Chark as something less than top tier are trying to mitigate the amount of crow they'd have to eat after calling him a bust or "just a guy" in 2018. 
  Others are simply afraid to crown anything remotely involved with the Jaguars for fear he'll fall off a cliff.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yeah its weird. We finally found a WR1 but people still seem to think because he got schemed out in the Saints game he isn't actually legit

(12-04-2019, 01:47 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yeah its weird. We finally found a WR1 but people still seem to think because he got schemed out in the Saints game he isn't actually legit

Indeed. Been saying it all year. With better QB play/OL play and maybe an actual TE to draw some coverage or someone a little more legit on the other side, it wouldn't be as easy to just double him up to take him away. And even so.. he's still having a very good year.

He'll never be Nuke or CantGuardMike... but shoot, those are the guys that go down as elite.

There ain't more than 2-3 elite WRs in the league in any given year, imo. He's easily a top 10 fringe top 5 WR for years to come imo.

And touching on what NYC said... too many people are quick to throw a bust label on a guy after 16 or fewer games and wanna double down on it regardless of facts. Especially when someone else that we didn't draft was their favorite.
The first WR taken from that draft class was DJ Moore. And Chark has more TDs and a better avg on fewer catches. And one could argue Moore has the better team around him (Curtis Samuel, Olson at TE, CMC in the backfield... we'll call the QB situation a wash with Allen back there)
He's about on par with Ridley (with arguably a way better QB) & on par with Sutton
Better than Kirk (some injuries caused him to miss time), Miller, Washington and Pettis with a couple of those guys having a way better situation.

Yeah, Chark had a dud of a rookie season... but we had a dud of a team and a lot of wide outs don't start off on fire.

(12-04-2019, 02:02 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 01:47 PM)JackCity Wrote: Yeah its weird. We finally found a WR1 but people still seem to think because he got schemed out in the Saints game he isn't actually legit

Indeed. Been saying it all year. With better QB play/OL play and maybe an actual TE to draw some coverage or someone a little more legit on the other side, it wouldn't be as easy to just double him up to take him away. And even so.. he's still having a very good year.

He'll never be Nuke or CantGuardMike... but shoot, those are the guys that go down as elite.

There ain't more than 2-3 elite WRs in the league in any given year, imo. He's easily a top 10 fringe top 5 WR for years to come imo.

And touching on what NYC said... too many people are quick to throw a bust label on a guy after 16 or fewer games and wanna double down on it regardless of facts. Especially when someone else that we didn't draft was their favorite.
The first WR taken from that draft class was DJ Moore. And Chark has more TDs and a better avg on fewer catches. And one could argue Moore has the better team around him (Curtis Samuel, Olson at TE, CMC in the backfield... we'll call the QB situation a wash with Allen back there)
He's about on par with Ridley (with arguably a way better QB) & on par with Sutton
Better than Kirk (some injuries caused him to miss time), Miller, Washington and Pettis with a couple of those guys having a way better situation.

Yeah, Chark had a dud of a rookie season... but we had a dud of a team and a lot of wide outs don't start off on fire.
I love Chark but I also love me some DJ Moore (Terp alumni). DJ Moore and Samuel are pretty great route runners as well.

However, Chark and Sutton are the next big play guys to take over the league. Sutton has been incredible this year.

(12-04-2019, 02:49 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 02:02 PM)Kane Wrote: Indeed. Been saying it all year. With better QB play/OL play and maybe an actual TE to draw some coverage or someone a little more legit on the other side, it wouldn't be as easy to just double him up to take him away. And even so.. he's still having a very good year.

I love Chark but I also love me some DJ Moore (Terp alumni). DJ Moore and Samuel are pretty great route runners as well.

However, Chark and Sutton are the next big play guys to take over the league. Sutton has been incredible this year.

I love DJ Moore too (did me right in fantasy this year) but a full round later and production is similar in year two.
If we could pair a WR like Samuel with Chark it'd do him wonders I think. Conley is just a dude.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019, 05:38 PM by Upper.)

(12-04-2019, 01:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 01:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Top 15 in receiving yards. 2nd in receiving TDs.

Most of the folks disparaging Chark as something less than top tier are trying to mitigate the amount of crow they'd have to eat after calling him a bust or "just a guy" in 2018. 
  Others are simply afraid to crown anything remotely involved with the Jaguars for fear he'll fall off a cliff.

There's definitely some of the latter in there for me, and I'd still like to see the sample size grow considerably before putting him in a top tier. We've prematurely labeled countless players who had good stretches but were unable to sustain it.

(12-04-2019, 05:38 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 01:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Most of the folks disparaging Chark as something less than top tier are trying to mitigate the amount of crow they'd have to eat after calling him a bust or "just a guy" in 2018. 

There's definitely some of the latter in there for me, and I'd still like to see the sample size grow considerably before putting him in a top tier. We've prematurely labeled countless players who had good stretches but were unable to sustain it.

Some of the latter - mostly the former. 
You were outspoken about how bad this receiving corps was in the Spring.

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019, 08:53 PM by Predator.)

(12-04-2019, 05:38 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 01:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Most of the folks disparaging Chark as something less than top tier are trying to mitigate the amount of crow they'd have to eat after calling him a bust or "just a guy" in 2018. 

Prematurely labeling is what you often do. It's just that you are quick to tout players on other teams and quick to trivialize players on this team.

(12-04-2019, 08:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 05:38 PM)Upper Wrote: There's definitely some of the latter in there for me, and I'd still like to see the sample size grow considerably before putting him in a top tier. We've prematurely labeled countless players who had good stretches but were unable to sustain it.

Some of the latter - mostly the former. 
You were outspoken about how bad this receiving corps was in the Spring.

I said it was a bottom tier corps because of how unproven they were, which is definitely not the same as calling them busts or just guys. I never even called Bortles or Fowler busts, nor someone like Cam Robinson...yet.

We are definitely missing a pure speed guy. Grant was such a useful weapon at RB and you could do so much with him. Plus a good returner too.

Speed is becoming the biggest weapon in the NFL, either at RB or WR, just a burner that makes a D react could really help. Chark and Dede are very good. Give them time to progress. They dont have to be SB quality after 2-3 years, we want them to have a 10 year career.

(12-04-2019, 11:14 AM)ONYC4jags Wrote: The coaching staff is gone. I think we can bank on that. Just leading the league in penalties after the time they've had to fix it is enough to jettison this staff IMO.  The F.O. is anyone's guess.  I'd be fine replacing the TC/Caldwell situation with one GM.  I also understand why some would consider keeping Caldwell, but I'm done defending him.

Regarding the roster -  I don't think it's that bad.
There's talent there even if it isn't all premier talent.

A+ players to build around:
Chark
Minshew
Josh Allen
Yannick Ngakoue (pay him)

Injured Potential Quality Talent:
Oliver

Quality starters:
Harrison
Westbrook
J Taylor (development will be key - may be moved)
Linder
Jack (if moved outside)
Fournette  (if used properly in a committee)
DJ Hayden
Logan Cooke
Lambo
Chris Conley (he's had a few drops but has also has been left wide open a lot)
Campbell (probably one more good year depending on cap scenarios)
Bouye
Lastly - Cam Robinson  - could be on this list if the next staff finds him a new position successfully

Quality Rotational and Quality Depth Players:
Bryan
Cole
Armstead
Leon Jacobs
Richardson
Smoot
Quincy Williams
Jarrod Wilson
Lerentee McCray

Guys with potential to be role players or good depth:
Wingard
Jarrod Wilson
Jake Ryan
Donald Payne
Ozigbo
O'Leary
Charles Jones (intriguing H-Back ability)
Josh Dobbs
DeValve - (good blocker - decent hands - no wheels)

Bottom Line  - There is solid talent here and the proper use of draft capital and cap management should be able to produce a much more competitive product than what we've seen this season. 
I suspect we will see this executed by a new coaching staff and a new boss in the F.O.

They should get Coughlin to retire and then make you the new VP. Just sayin’...

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2019, 05:37 PM by jaguarmvp.)

(12-04-2019, 01:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 01:42 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Top 15 in receiving yards. 2nd in receiving TDs.

Do you blame anyone?  Every year we have a breakout player who we crown elite and turns out to be a bum the next year. I will admit I was on the DJ Chark bust wagon last year. I will eat my crow if he continues to keep growing but major props to him this year.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]