Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Roman - Caldwell

(12-03-2019, 12:29 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I’m actually OK with Caldwell. I think he’s a decent GM. I don’t, however, trust his ability to pick a head coach. And, to me, our biggest problem is developing talent and we’ve had some of the worst coaches in the league since he’s been here.

I seem to recall stories from back then indicating that Gus Bradley initially wasn't even on the interview list for Caldwell, but he was called in and "wowed" the team to the point that he was hired. Roman was supposedly Caldwell's guy.

Translation: at no point was Bradley Caldwell's top choice. That's not to defend Caldwell too much, but Marrone was definitely Coughlin's call, which means that you could credibly suggest that despite being "responsible" for two coaching hires, Caldwell hasn't actually hired a coach yet.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019, 04:20 PM by Caldrac.)

(12-03-2019, 02:34 PM)Upper Wrote: Caldwell has proven to be a bad GM, but my god I think he has a future as a hypnotist. It's ridiculous how people can keep defending him after producing just terrible results over 2/3 of a damn decade despite having more ammo to build a franchise than any GM in history.

I blame it on Gene Smith. We went from seeing JUCO players being drafted early to big name school guys being drafted relatively early. Same thing with Marrone Vs. Bradley. Being slightly better isn't enough. And you're always what your record says you are. We went 14 - 38 during those four years under him and Bradley and virtually his first three drafts were lackluster or didn't net anybody with long term staying power here.

(12-03-2019, 04:16 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 12:29 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: I’m actually OK with Caldwell. I think he’s a decent GM. I don’t, however, trust his ability to pick a head coach. And, to me, our biggest problem is developing talent and we’ve had some of the worst coaches in the league since he’s been here.

I seem to recall stories from back then indicating that Gus Bradley initially wasn't even on the interview list for Caldwell, but he was called in and "wowed" the team to the point that he was hired. Roman was supposedly Caldwell's guy.

Translation: at no point was Bradley Caldwell's top choice. That's not to defend Caldwell too much, but Marrone was definitely Coughlin's call, which means that you could credibly suggest that despite being "responsible" for two coaching hires, Caldwell hasn't actually hired a coach yet.

Then that explains why he's still clinging on here and maybe my hatred for him is unjust. Still doesn't erase his blunders between 2013 - 2015 and it doesn't erase the fact that his highly touted 2016 class is beginning to fall apart with Ramsey already out of the picture, Jack regressing and Ngakoue's contract extension not coming through yet. 

Maybe that's all on Coughlin too I guess if he's controlling all of the money. That's the problem though. It's hard to tell anybody's [BLEEP] from their elbow in that building and they don't really paint a picture other than a messy one for us fans to figure out and interpret yearly.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-03-2019, 04:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I blame it on Gene Smith. We went from seeing JUCO players being drafted early to big name school guys being drafted relatively early. Same thing with Marrone Vs. Bradley. Being slightly better isn't enough. And you're always what your record says you are. We went 14 - 38 during those four years under him and Bradley and virtually his first three drafts were lackluster or didn't net anybody with long term staying power here.

Yeah it's pretty sad but I guess when you have dated a 1 in the past dating a 3, or maybe even a 4 if you've had a few drinks, could look good by comparison.

(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019, 04:35 PM by knarnn.)

(12-03-2019, 04:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 02:34 PM)Upper Wrote: Caldwell has proven to be a bad GM, but my god I think he has a future as a hypnotist. It's ridiculous how people can keep defending him after producing just terrible results over 2/3 of a damn decade despite having more ammo to build a franchise than any GM in history.

I blame it on Gene Smith. We went from seeing JUCO players being drafted early to big name school guys being drafted relatively early. Same thing with Marrone Vs. Bradley. Being slightly better isn't enough. And you're always what your record says you are. We went 14 - 38 during those four years under him and Bradley and virtually his first three drafts were lackluster or didn't net anybody with long term staying power here.

(12-03-2019, 04:16 PM)TJBender Wrote: I seem to recall stories from back then indicating that Gus Bradley initially wasn't even on the interview list for Caldwell, but he was called in and "wowed" the team to the point that he was hired. Roman was supposedly Caldwell's guy.

Then that explains why he's still clinging on here and maybe my hatred for him is unjust. Still doesn't erase his blunders between 2013 - 2015 and it doesn't erase the fact that his highly touted 2016 class is beginning to fall apart with Ramsey already out of the picture, Jack regressing and Ngakoue's contract extension not coming through yet. 

Maybe that's all on Coughlin too I guess if he's controlling all of the money. That's the problem though. It's hard to tell anybody's [BLEEP] from their elbow in that building and they don't really paint a picture other than a messy one for us fans to figure out and interpret yearly.

It’s really not all that difficult to interpret. I’ve sad it numerous times on this board but every time I mention it it seems to get glossed over. See below:

Quote: [font=Georgia,]Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan has given Tom Coughlin total control of the team’s football operations.[/font]

That includes having final say on the 53-man roster, free agency, the NFL draft, and, apparently, approving the hiring of assistant coaches.

https://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-j...head-coach

Dave does the leg work and sets the table. He then discusses it with Tom. Tom pulls the trigger either yay or nay.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Outside of his 10% success rate of signing free agents, his lack of ability to hire coaches who can develop his draft picks, and his ability to draft running backs when franchise QB's are on the board, Caldwell is a decent GM.

(12-03-2019, 04:34 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 04:17 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I blame it on Gene Smith. We went from seeing JUCO players being drafted early to big name school guys being drafted relatively early. Same thing with Marrone Vs. Bradley. Being slightly better isn't enough. And you're always what your record says you are. We went 14 - 38 during those four years under him and Bradley and virtually his first three drafts were lackluster or didn't net anybody with long term staying power here.

It’s really not all that difficult to interpret. I’ve sad it numerous times on this board but every time I mention it it seems to get glossed over. See below:

Quote: [font=Georgia,]Jacksonville Jaguars owner Shad Khan has given Tom Coughlin total control of the team’s football operations.[/font]

That includes having final say on the 53-man roster, free agency, the NFL draft, and, apparently, approving the hiring of assistant coaches.

Dave does the leg work and sets the table. He then discusses it with Tom. Tom pulls the trigger either yay or nay.

Fair enough. So, with that being said and put out there. Tommy Boy has only been here since 2017 in that role. That's 3 years of making football decisions Vs. Caldwell's 4 years. They both suck. They both need to go. Caldwell doesn't deserve a pass after his early failings and the Bortles selection alone is normally what gets you fired as a General Manager.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-03-2019, 05:07 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 04:34 PM)knarnn Wrote: It’s really not all that difficult to interpret. I’ve sad it numerous times on this board but every time I mention it it seems to get glossed over. See below:

Fair enough. So, with that being said and put out there. Tommy Boy has only been here since 2017 in that role. That's 3 years of making football decisions Vs. Caldwell's 4 years. They both suck. They both need to go. Caldwell doesn't deserve a pass after his early failings and the Bortles selection alone is normally what gets you fired as a General Manager.

But that’s the thing. Caldwell was not given a pass. He was given a demotion. He no longer has the ability to make these decisions. He’s more or less a glorified scout and coffee fetcher with a nice office at this point.

While I agree with you that neither have performed exceptionally well and should be shown the door I still have slight reservations. I have zero confidence in Khan’s ability to identify a viable replacement. It’s quite possible that the next guy in line is Tony Khan - who I’ve mentioned before as seemingly being groomed for such a role. Yes, its possible we could actually get worse from where we currently are at now.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(12-03-2019, 12:59 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 12:44 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: My guess is that there would be an 80% chance to get a worse GM if Caldwell were fired. If the plan is to clean house it may need to be done, but don't expect an improvement.

Our record under Caldwell over the past 7 years under Caldwell is 34-74 and you're telling us we have an 80% change of getting worse if he's fired? 

We are such a pathetic franchise.

80% chance of worse personnel decisions. Better coaching might tilt the W-L record in a positive direction. 

Of course 35-73 would be a 'positive' direction.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

CaldracMaybe that's all on Coughlin too I guess if he's controlling all of the money. That's the problem though. It's hard to tell anybody's [BLEEP Wrote:from their elbow in that building and they don't really paint a picture other than a messy one for us fans to figure out and interpret yearly. pid='1267600' dateline='1575404253']

That's the bottom line. We don't know who made which decision, so we don't know who deserves the blame. We can only guess.

Khan knows. Let's just hope he gets rid of the problem people and keeps the ones who were right.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(12-03-2019, 04:36 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

Outside of his 10% success rate of signing free agents, his lack of ability to hire coaches who can develop his draft picks, and his ability to draft running backs when franchise QB's are on the board, Caldwell is a decent GM.

I think you described a lot of teams. I don’t think he’s done poorly drafting. I just don’t believe he’s hit any superstars. Minshew, Chark, and Allen May change that. He’s had plenty of solid picks, with severs being very good. I think a lot of people look at more successful teams and assume the GM is knocking it out of the park, but I think some of it comes down to having star power. 

Having a Brady, Mahommes, Wilson, etc. will cover up a lot of the flaws in the roster. We don’t have that kind of power. How many good GMs can you point to?

Yes to Roman, no to Caldwell

(12-03-2019, 01:51 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 01:45 PM)jg77 Wrote: If Roman is bringing Lamar Jackson with him then I'm all for it. I doubt Roman goes anywhere since he has his dream QB.

So you think a guy will opt to remain a coordinator because he likes his QB rather than take one of the 32 jobs that exist on the entire planet?

I don't think he leaves Lamar Jackson for Minshew.

(12-04-2019, 02:01 PM)jg77 Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 01:51 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So you think a guy will opt to remain a coordinator because he likes his QB rather than take one of the 32 jobs that exist on the entire planet?

I don't think he leaves Lamar Jackson for Minshew.

But he certainly leave OC for HC.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I could sign up for a Caserio and McDaniels combo.

(12-04-2019, 06:23 PM)Upper Wrote: I could sign up for a Caserio and McDaniels combo.

I think I'm good on any New England south project

I think Caldwell is fine. We just need a new head coach.

(12-04-2019, 07:20 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 06:23 PM)Upper Wrote: I could sign up for a Caserio and McDaniels combo.

I think I'm good on any New England south project

It's more just that they are each top candidates in their own right and I'm sure they have a rapport already.