Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It’s a coaching problem

Hodges isnt exactly a guy they picked up off the streets..
Former Samford quarterback Devlin Hodges was invited to the Pittsburgh Steelers’ rookie minicamp. He must have impressed because he announced on social media that he signed a contract with the Steelers on Sunday.

Hodges was the best player in the FCS last season. He won the Walter Payton Award as the most outstanding player after throwing for 4,283 yards and 32 passing touchdowns. Hodges also chipped in 313 rushing yards and eight scores on the ground.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-03-2019, 09:44 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 09:35 PM)PAJag Wrote: Yea My point I’m trying to make is that I think wiping the front office clean is a bad idea they have supplied talent at a much better than average rate the problem is coaching which we knew but there’s allot calling for the FO which would be a mistake IMO

I think it's time to come to the realization that maybe our talent has just not been as good as advertised. Dave taking offensive tackles that the good teams passed on might have been for a reason and not automatically mean that Dave is smarter than everyone else, for example.

Dave can't pick up a good offensive lineman to save his life.

(12-03-2019, 05:59 PM)snowwolf776 Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 01:40 PM)PAJag Wrote: It always has been. Fat bologna boy is terrible. I look around the league at guys like Sean Peyton and mike Tomlin and Andy Reid and they are always competitive doesn’t matter if they’re playing with a third string qb they game plan well and rally the troops and find ways to win. The Steelers might make the playoffs this year and I think there’s more talent on our teams the last two years then they have. Bash Caldwell and the front office all you want but they have brought in allot of talent. Has he made a few mistakes that everyone loves to harp on yea but everyone does. Dj Chark telvin Smith yan jack Allen Robinson Linder are all pro bowl caliber players drafted after round 1 also allot of other solid players one thing he hasn’t a great eye for Is WR. I think it’s a mistake to get rid of him

your way behind i said that when jags hired doug how he was a lousy head coach. no one here wanted to belieave me. he destroyed the bills,and the jags are pretty much destroyed except for minshew. 

minshew need to not listen to any of the coaches,and just let minshew magic fly. if jags keep doug around aftr this season he will completly destroy the jags. once a loser coach always a loser coach.

I believed you

Its always a combination of poor coaching, not enough talent and bad front office

(12-03-2019, 01:40 PM)PAJag Wrote: It always has been. Fat bologna boy is terrible. I look around the league at guys like Sean Peyton and mike Tomlin and Andy Reid and they are always competitive doesn’t matter if they’re playing with a third string qb they game plan well and rally the troops and find ways to win. The Steelers might make the playoffs this year and I think there’s more talent on our teams the last two years then they have. Bash Caldwell and the front office all you want but they have brought in allot of talent. Has he made a few mistakes that everyone loves to harp on yea but everyone does. Dj Chark telvin Smith yan jack Allen Robinson Linder are all pro bowl caliber players drafted after round 1 also allot of other solid players one thing he hasn’t a great eye for Is WR. I think it’s a mistake to get rid of him

your way behind i said that when jags hired doug how he was a lousy head coach. no one here wanted to belieave me. he destroyed the bills,and the jags are pretty much destroyed except for minshew. 

minshew need to not listen to any of the coaches,and just let minshew magic fly. if jags keep doug around aftr this season he will completly destroy the jags. once a loser coach always a loser coach.

Whether he is a good coach is debatable.  But you keep saying this and it's dead wrong.  Please explain how he 'destroyed the Bills'  when he went 9-7 his last year there with Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel as his quarterbacks.  If anything, he did a remarkable job with that trash.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-03-2019, 01:40 PM)PAJag Wrote: It always has been. Fat bologna boy is terrible. I look around the league at guys like Sean Peyton and mike Tomlin and Andy Reid and they are always competitive doesn’t matter if they’re playing with a third string qb they game plan well and rally the troops and find ways to win. 

The 3 coaches you referenced above are all making $7m per year or more.  The Jags are notoriously cheap when it comes to paying head coaches.  That's one of the primary reasons we always suck !!!

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019, 09:57 AM by Mikey.)

Snowie is our resident nostril doomus.

(12-03-2019, 09:44 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-03-2019, 09:35 PM)PAJag Wrote: Yea My point I’m trying to make is that I think wiping the front office clean is a bad idea they have supplied talent at a much better than average rate the problem is coaching which we knew but there’s allot calling for the FO which would be a mistake IMO

I think it's time to come to the realization that maybe our talent has just not been as good as advertised. Dave taking offensive tackles that the good teams passed on might have been for a reason and not automatically mean that Dave is smarter than everyone else, for example.

....so he should have taken the tackles that the other teams already picked? Bold strategy, definitely not one they'd be planning for.

I don’t know this to be a fact, nor does anyone here, but I believe Marrone is dealing with a lot interference from TC. Perhaps his coaching calls and decisions are being second guessed by Coughlin and no one in the building has the muscle or nerve to tell him to stay in his own lane. Marrone stated last season that he appreciated using TC as a resource, I bet he doesn’t say that anymore.

Regardless, notwithstanding Coughlin’s potential interference, I’m not overly impressed with Marrone. His look of abject resignation on the sidelines when momentum shifts against us indicates to me that he’s not a dynamic leader or tactician. I say clean house with the exception of DeCamillis. I wouldn’t be disappointed if we kept Caldwell, I just wish he had a more assertive leadership style.

(12-04-2019, 10:03 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I don’t know this to be a fact, nor does anyone here, but I believe Marrone is dealing with a lot interference from TC. Perhaps his coaching calls and decisions are being second guessed by Coughlin and no one in the building has the muscle or nerve to tell him to stay in his own lane. Marrone stated last season that he appreciated using TC as a resource, I bet he doesn’t say that anymore.

Regardless, notwithstanding Coughlin’s potential interference, I’m not overly impressed with Marrone. His look of abject resignation on the sidelines when momentum shifts against us indicates to me that he’s not a dynamic leader or tactician. I say clean house with the exception of DeCamillis. I wouldn’t be disappointed if we kept Caldwell, I just wish he had a more assertive leadership style.

I dunno the FG team has been great + Cooke is playing but leading the league in ST penalties every single season isn't fun

(12-04-2019, 09:55 AM)Mikey Wrote: ....so he should have taken the tackles that the other teams already picked? Bold strategy, definitely not one they'd be planning for.

No, I'm saying that instead of being like "omg Dave got two top 10 players in this draft he's a god amongst mortals" we should start looking for the reasons why the NFL clearly didn't agree with the mock drafts that Jack/Cam/Taylor were top 10 talents. You know, things like can't diagnose a play to save his life or has feet like an elderly sumo wrestler.

(12-04-2019, 10:27 AM)Upper Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 09:55 AM)Mikey Wrote: ....so he should have taken the tackles that the other teams already picked? Bold strategy, definitely not one they'd be planning for.

No, I'm saying that instead of being like "omg Dave got two top 10 players in this draft he's a god amongst mortals" we should start looking for the reasons why the NFL clearly didn't agree with the mock drafts that Jack/Cam/Taylor were top 10 talents. You know, things like can't diagnose a play to save his life or has feet like an elderly sumo wrestler.

Kudos for the word picture!
[Image: giphy.gif]

(12-04-2019, 10:27 AM)Upper Wrote:

Obviously he was on the same page as the rest of the NFL because he didn't take these guys in the top 10 either.