Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The "Armchair General Manager" Thread - 2020

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2019, 11:04 AM by Caldrac.)

Boredom has found it's way into my life while sitting here "working" in the office from 430 this morning until 1700 hours this afternoon. So I figured why not come up with something fun. I have become a big fan of this first pick NFL draft game website. We've had several posters run through the mill several times over for our team and I figured why not test everyone's knowledge throughout the NFL a bit and run other teams through the very same process. 

We all get to be General Managers going into 2020's NFL Draft and with that said. Pick any team you like. Pick any team you don't like and completely derail them if you'd like. Let's see if we can separate the Gene Smith's & Matt Millen's from the George Halas' & Bill Walsh's among our community. We can circle back mid-to-late next season and see if some of our decisions for whichever team ultimately made a difference or not. 

https://www.first-pick.com/

[Image: giphy.gif]

I am going with Miami because who the hell wouldn't want to have three first round picks to play with?

Your score is: 32180 (GRADE: B)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 4: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU (A+)
Round 1 Pick 22: Yetur Gross-Matos, DE/OLB, Penn State (B-)
Round 1 Pick 25: Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama (A-)
Round 2 Pick 4: Alex Leatherwood, OG/OT, Alabama (A-)
Round 2 Pick 28: Darryl Williams, C/OG, Mississippi State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 15 (CLE): Najee Harris, RB, Alabama (A+)
Round 3 Pick 26 (BUF): Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic ©
Round 4 Pick 31 (BALT): Michael Pittman, WR, USC (A-)
Round 5 Pick 22 (BALT): Benito Jones, DT, Mississippi (B)
Round 5 Pick 30 (BALT): Ashtyn Davis, FS/SS, California (A+)
Round 6 Pick 4: Evan Weaver, ILB, California (A)
Round 6 Pick 21: Jalen Price, DT/DE, East Carolina (B+)
Round 7 Pick 9 (BALT): Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama (A+)
Round 7 Pick 24: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor (A)

Your Future Picks:
2021 Round 1 Pick
2022 Round 1 Pick
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I went with Jags and I refuse to trade because they are often unrealistic and you just don't really know who will trade come draft day.
After round 3 I often used the "best value available" area to make my picks.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 8: Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn (A-)
Round 1 Pick 20: Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU (B+)
Round 2 Pick 8: Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin (A)
Round 3 Pick 8: Colby Parkinson, TE, Stanford (A)
Round 4 Pick 8: Paddy Fisher, ILB/OLB, Northwestern (A+)
Round 5 Pick 19: Tanner Muse, SS/FS, Clemson (A)
Round 6 Pick 8: Michael Pittman, WR, USC (A+)
Round 6 Pick 32: Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland (A+)
Round 7 Pick 8: Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2021 Round 1 Pick
2022 Round 1 Pick

(12-09-2019, 02:01 PM)Kane Wrote: I went with Jags and I refuse to trade because they are often unrealistic and you just don't really know who will trade come draft day.

Your Picks:

Your Future Picks:
2021 Round 1 Pick
2022 Round 1 Pick
MCFARLAND!

In classic MD fashion, he will be a much better pro than he was a college player.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2019, 12:04 PM by Caldrac.)

(12-09-2019, 02:01 PM)Kane Wrote: I went with Jags and I refuse to trade because they are often unrealistic and you just don't really know who will trade come draft day.

Your Picks:

Your Future Picks:
2021 Round 1 Pick
2022 Round 1 Pick

Nice pick-up's there. I would be happy with this entire class. Getting Pittman in RD6 along with Wills in RD7 seems like steals at this time as those two players are projected to be 1st and 2nd day picks.

(12-09-2019, 03:15 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Your Picks:

Your Future Picks:
2021 Round 1 Pick
2022 Round 1 Pick
MCFARLAND!

In classic MD fashion, he will be a much better pro than he was a college player.

C'mon Cleatwood Mac! Pick a team and join in! You always have interesting insights around here.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-10-2019, 12:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

Your Picks:

Your Future Picks:
2021 Round 1 Pick
2022 Round 1 Pick

Nice pick-up's there. I would be happy with this entire class. Getting Pittman in RD6 along with Wills in RD7 seems like steals at this time as those two players are projected to be 1st and 2nd day picks.

(12-09-2019, 03:15 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: MCFARLAND!

C'mon Cleatwood Mac! Pick a team and join in! You always have interesting insights around here.
I'm saving all my good ideas for the annual Jags Message Board draft!

Last year, I got the Jags and Packers. Had the Jags selecting Hockenson, McLaurin (I was laughed at), Tytus Howard and David Montgomery. Imagine if they had that haul!

(12-10-2019, 12:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 12:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Nice pick-up's there. I would be happy with this entire class. Getting Pittman in RD6 along with Wills in RD7 seems like steals at this time as those two players are projected to be 1st and 2nd day picks.

I'm saving all my good ideas for the annual Jags Message Board draft!

Last year, I got the Jags and Packers. Had the Jags selecting Hockenson, McLaurin (I was laughed at), Tytus Howard and David Montgomery. Imagine if they had that haul!

Man I really wanted Montgomery... and I'm so peeved the Bears have misused him for most of the year.

That would have been a very solid haul. Though... I really like Josh Allen (I'm sure he was gone in the board mock by the time you picked)

(12-10-2019, 12:28 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 12:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I'm saving all my good ideas for the annual Jags Message Board draft!

Man I really wanted Montgomery... and I'm so peeved the Bears have misused him for most of the year.

That would have been a very solid haul. Though... I really like Josh Allen (I'm sure he was gone in the board mock by the time you picked)
100%.

Allen was off the board to the Raiders I think.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 20: Trey Adams, OT, Washington (B-)
Round 3 Pick 8: Xavier McKinney, FS, Alabama (A)
Round 4 Pick 8: Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 5 Pick 19: AJ Green, CB, Oklahoma State (B)
Round 6 Pick 8: Tremayne Anchrum, OG, Clemson (A+)
Round 6 Pick 32: Michael Warren, RB, Cincinnati (A+)
Round 7 Pick 8: Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic (A+)

The only thing missing is LB which I guess we'd have to find a cheap vet FA 'mike' backer maybe

Went with the Giants this round:

Your score is: 32753 (GRADE: B)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 2: Chase Young, DE/OLB, Ohio State (A+)
Round 2 Pick 2: Alex Leatherwood, OG/OT, Alabama (A-)
Round 4 Pick 2: Darrell Taylor, DE/OLB, Tennessee (A)
Round 5 Pick 2: Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty (A+)
Round 6 Pick 2: Michael Pittman, WR, USC (A+)
Round 7 Pick 27: Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama (A+)
Round 7 Pick 30: Joshua Kelley, RB, UCLA (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2021 Round 1 Pick
2022 Round 1 Pick

Young is probably the best player in this draft. Leatherwood and Wills help shore up their pass protection for 2nd year QB Daniel Jones. Giving him some guys with range and 50/50 jump skills in Gandy-Golden & Pittman at WR can only help him down the road. 

Shored up their defense a little bit more with the versatile Taylor from the Vols. as he can play standing up or with his hands in the dirt. And with some of the injuries this year with Barkley at RB I feel a guy like Kelley that late in the draft offers some tremendous value and potential there when and if needed in the rotation for 2020. 

All about making that investment at your QB position nice and comfortable for the long haul while landing honestly the best player in the draft at DE in Young and another good pass rushing prospect in Taylor in RD4. Couldn't be happier with this draft if I say so myself. 

Chase Yong saying he plans to return to school next season

He's going to declare, just doing the "concentrating on playoffs first" thing.

Wouldn't read anything into it

Went with the Redskins this time. 

NFL DRAFT GAME 2020
Logged in as: Caldrac2019

YOUR TEAM: WASHINGTON REDSKINS
GAME OVER!

Your score is: 35302 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 3: Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia (A)
Round 3 Pick 9 (NYJ): DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama (A+)
Round 4 Pick 3: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama (A+)
Round 4 Pick 18 (N.E.): Jon Runyan, OG, Michigan (A)
Round 4 Pick 29 (N.E.): Brandon Jones, FS/SS, Texas (A+)
Round 4 Pick 32 (DEN): Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty (A+)
Round 7 Pick 3: Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 11: Noah Togiai, TE, Oregon State (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2021 Round 1 Pick
2022 Round 1 Pick

Shored up their offensive line a bit with Thomas and Runyan. Should give Haskins a better chance in 2020. Hopefully the kid gets more stability. Added some playmakers from Alabama with Smith and Harris to help the offense out. Stole Jones & Dantzler late to help shore up their secondary. Added a 50/50 guy in Gandy-Golden and with Reed oft injured it wouldn't hurt taking a shot on Togiai that late in RD7 to help bring along slowly as a security blanket in the passing game. 

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2019, 03:38 PM by Kane.)

(12-14-2019, 12:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Chase Yong saying he plans to return to school next season

“That moment was just a real spontaneous moment. It caught me off guard,” Young said. “I’m not even really worried about anything in the future. I’m just worried about beating Clemson right now.”

He really has no reason to return, unless graduating college is a big deal to him.
Which, if so... kudos.
But he's risking a lot of money for a degree he could definitely get later in life.

(12-16-2019, 03:37 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 12:14 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Chase Yong saying he plans to return to school next season

“That moment was just a real spontaneous moment. It caught me off guard,” Young said. “I’m not even really worried about anything in the future. I’m just worried about beating Clemson right now.”

He really has no reason to return, unless graduating college is a big deal to him.
Which, if so... kudos.
But he's risking a lot of money for a degree he could definitely get later in life.
Yeah, I never thought he would stay.  Was just posting what he said

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2019, 05:59 PM by MJonesD_32.)

This was my first attempt at a simulator for the draft... if i was the GM and the draft was under my power i would have went with the following picks.

8: Isaiah Simmons
, LB
Clemson

20: Alex Leatherwood
, OT
Alabama

40: Lucas Niang
, OT
TCU

72: Gabriel Davis
, WR
UCF

104: Justin Madubuike
, IDL
Texas A&M

147: Julian Blackmon
, S
Utah

167: Francis Bernard,
LB
Utah

190: Lavert Hill
,CB
Michigan

199: McTelvin Agim
,IDL
Arkansas

In addition to an obviously very important draft (next years too)... i would target Ebron in Free agency and restructure Calais Campbell or leave his contract where it is as i believe hes a cornerstone leader that we cannot afford to lose. I would resign Yan for whatever he wants and deal with a roster cut if needed to make sure he's on this roster. Also, would release Ryan & Norwell and resign Dareus (unpopular opinion) as most believe he needs to be cut primarily due to cap constraints. I also would not cut Bouye despite alot of people wanting to do so.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2019, 08:14 PM by Caldrac.)

(12-16-2019, 07:35 PM)MJonesD_32 Wrote: In addition to an obviously very important draft (next years too)... i would target Ebron in Free agency and restructure Calais Campbell or leave his contract where it is as i believe hes a cornerstone leader that we cannot afford to lose. I would resign Yan for whatever he wants and deal with a roster cut if needed to make sure he's on this roster. Also, would release Ryan & Norwell and resign Dareus (unpopular opinion) as most believe he needs to be cut primarily due to cap constraints. I also would not cut Bouye despite alot of people wanting to do so.
At this point they need to probably resign anyone willing to stay.

After today's [BLEEP] with Coughlin being made public we'll be lucky to draw up anyone worth a lick for a few years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

(12-16-2019, 08:13 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 07:35 PM)MJonesD_32 Wrote: In addition to an obviously very important draft (next years too)... i would target Ebron in Free agency and restructure Calais Campbell or leave his contract where it is as i believe hes a cornerstone leader that we cannot afford to lose. I would resign Yan for whatever he wants and deal with a roster cut if needed to make sure he's on this roster. Also, would release Ryan & Norwell and resign Dareus (unpopular opinion) as most believe he needs to be cut primarily due to cap constraints. I also would not cut Bouye despite alot of people wanting to do so.
At this point they need to probably resign anyone willing to stay.

After today's [BLEEP] with Coughlin being made public we'll be lucky to draw up anyone worth a lick for a few years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's true man. This may complicate who comes on board for us.... that being said, if they clean house as expected, it may not mean a whole hell of a lot as everyone knows this is Coughlin's old school mentality creeping in.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 10:57 AM by TJBender.)

Here's what I came up with as the Jaguars:

Quote:Your score is: 36091 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 13 (OAK): Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn (A)
Round 1 Pick 20: Alex Leatherwood, OG/OT, Alabama (B)
Round 1 Pick 32 (BALT): CJ Henderson, CB, Florida (B+)
Round 2 Pick 14 (IND): Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri (A+)
Round 3 Pick 8: DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama (A+)
Round 4 Pick 10 (DEN): Brandon Jones, FS/SS, Texas (A+)
Round 5 Pick 19: Lorenzo Neal, DT, Purdue (A+)
Round 6 Pick 12 (PHI): Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan (A+)
Round 6 Pick 20 (LAR): Donell Stanley, OG, South Carolina (A+)
Round 7 Pick 13 (OAK): Sam Ehlinger, QB, Texas (A+)
Round 7 Pick 27 (NYG): Brendon Hayes, DE, Central Florida (A)
Round 7 Pick 30 (NYG): Daelin Hayes, DE/OLB, Notre Dame (A+)

Your Future Picks:
2021 Round 1 Pick
2022 Round 1 Pick

The thought process wasn't too complicated. Trade down where possible, jump up and grab a guy when it makes sense (Henderson and Jones) and add beef.