Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
After Raiders Win we are pick #8 - Now back to #7

(12-23-2019, 10:54 AM)Kane Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 10:46 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Unless it's Burrow, I'll pass on a QB. I'd like Tua, but we HAVE TO get Derrick Brown with that #6 pick. He's the key to fixing the run defense. I then take a LT with the Rams pick and the best OG on the board in round 2. From there I look for a CB, ILB, TE, Safety and WR. If we can fix the O-Line and run defense, we'll be in decent shape to get our QB in 2021. I want to have good pieces around him when he arrives, so he can have a better chance at succeeding early on.

Yeah, it's looking like Brown should be the pick at 6.
I wouldn't lock down OT/OG to any one pick though. Just add the OL pieces and figure it out in camp. Maybe that's an OT and a G, maybe it's a C and then an OT.
If we can add 2 pieces I like Minshews ability to move around enough that the OL doesn't have to be perfect right away. Just get better than it is currently.

As far as LT, this is a pretty deep class. Obviously I love Thomas and I really like Wirfs. I also really like Austin Jackson of USC and he would be my primary target with that Rams pick, but it is no guarantee that he declares. If he doesn't, I would take Biadasz and then target one of three LT's in round 2. The first being Trey Adams of Washington, another being a guy that is quickly rising up many draft boards, Josh Jones of Houston and finally the third is John Runyan Jr. of Michigan. All are very polished. On just about any other year, they would probably be first rounders. For some reason, Runyan is mostly being looked at as an OG. He played LT at Michigan and held Chase Young to 0 tackles and 0 sacks in that game, but for some reason, he is being discounted as an OT prospect and is projected to move inside. We have needs at both spots, so I'd consider him in round 2 as well.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Pick 1 (rd. 1) - Derrick Brown, no brainer

Pick 2 (rd. 1) - Jackson or Wirfs

Pick 3 (rd. 2) - Wade, Dantzler or Hall (very deep cornerback group). If Biadasz falls a little, he'd be my pick.

Pick 4 (rd. 3) - Best guard or center available. Trey Smith or Sternberg would be top 2 in that order. Smith's health history may cause him to drop and he'd be a steal at this spot.

Pick 5 (rd. 4) Hopefully a decent middle linebacker will be here.

This draft class would not fill all the team's needs. However, they could still find a running back and receiver in the last 3 rounds who could make the team better. I'm counting on Oliver to be the starter at tight end once he gets healthy. The trenches are clearly the top priority. An offensive line of:

Wirfs, Robinson, Linder, Trey Smith and Taylor could be very nasty.

Allen, D. Brown, Calais and Yan would not be hard to take, either, as long as Calais agrees to re-negotiate.

(12-23-2019, 11:59 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 10:54 AM)Kane Wrote: Yeah, it's looking like Brown should be the pick at 6.
I wouldn't lock down OT/OG to any one pick though. Just add the OL pieces and figure it out in camp. Maybe that's an OT and a G, maybe it's a C and then an OT.
If we can add 2 pieces I like Minshews ability to move around enough that the OL doesn't have to be perfect right away. Just get better than it is currently.

As far as LT, this is a pretty deep class. Obviously I love Thomas and I really like Wirfs. I also really like Austin Jackson of USC and he would be my primary target with that Rams pick, but it is no guarantee that he declares. If he doesn't, I would take Biadasz and then target one of three LT's in round 2. The first being Trey Adams of Washington, another being a guy that is quickly rising up many draft boards, Josh Jones of Houston and finally the third is John Runyan Jr. of Michigan. All are very polished. On just about any other year, they would probably be first rounders. For some reason, Runyan is mostly being looked at as an OG. He played LT at Michigan and held Chase Young to 0 tackles and 0 sacks in that game, but for some reason, he is being discounted as an OT prospect and is projected to move inside. We have needs at both spots, so I'd consider him in round 2 as well.

Runyan Sr. was a nasty [BLEEP].  If his son is anything like him I'd jump all over it.  I think we definitely need some attitude on the OL.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-23-2019, 12:28 PM)Rico Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 11:59 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As far as LT, this is a pretty deep class. Obviously I love Thomas and I really like Wirfs. I also really like Austin Jackson of USC and he would be my primary target with that Rams pick, but it is no guarantee that he declares. If he doesn't, I would take Biadasz and then target one of three LT's in round 2. The first being Trey Adams of Washington, another being a guy that is quickly rising up many draft boards, Josh Jones of Houston and finally the third is John Runyan Jr. of Michigan. All are very polished. On just about any other year, they would probably be first rounders. For some reason, Runyan is mostly being looked at as an OG. He played LT at Michigan and held Chase Young to 0 tackles and 0 sacks in that game, but for some reason, he is being discounted as an OT prospect and is projected to move inside. We have needs at both spots, so I'd consider him in round 2 as well.

Runyan Sr. was a nasty [BLEEP].  If his son is anything like him I'd jump all over it.  I think we definitely need some attitude on the OL.

I watched him several times this year and I was impressed. I don't think he makes it out of round 2.

I don't know much about the offensive lineman in this draft yet. Perhaps there are a few absolute cant miss prospects. But when in doubt, I'd much rather we lean towards guys who were consistently good players in college that maybe dont have the elite physical tools(size, power, etc..) as opposed to a guy who has all the physical tools but isn't consistent. I really don't care if our lineman has the ability to push his defender back 20 yards and pancake them every once and awhile. All I want is a guy that gets in position and holds their block.

Now Matt Miller joins Brugler in hijacking my Wills Jr OT1 hype train. Get off my lawn people.

Also, take him at 6 if he's there.

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 03:39 PM by JackCity.)

(12-23-2019, 03:00 PM)Upper Wrote: Now Matt Miller joins Brugler in hijacking my Wills Jr OT1 hype train. Get off my lawn people.

You mean Bruglers train. I really don't rate him enough to take him top 10

(12-23-2019, 03:38 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 03:00 PM)Upper Wrote: Now Matt Miller joins Brugler in hijacking my Wills Jr OT1 hype train. Get off my lawn people.

You mean Bruglers train. I really don't rate him enough to take him top 10

It'll probably be credited to Brugler since he was the first big name that had Wills as OT1, but I called him my OT1 before Brugler did.

And top 10 is going to be a very popular spot to put him if he tests as expected at the combine. I think him and Austin Jackson are going to be the hot names.

(12-23-2019, 04:04 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 03:38 PM)JackCity Wrote: You mean Bruglers train. I really don't rate him enough to take him top 10

It'll probably be credited to Brugler since he was the first big name that had Wills as OT1, but I called him my OT1 before Brugler did.

And top 10 is going to be a very popular spot to put him if he tests as expected at the combine. I think him and Austin Jackson are going to be the hot names.

How many of the other tackles have you watched? 

I'd still have Thomas and Wirfs over bout for now

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2019, 10:50 AM by Upper.)

(12-23-2019, 11:49 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 04:04 PM)Upper Wrote: It'll probably be credited to Brugler since he was the first big name that had Wills as OT1, but I called him my OT1 before Brugler did.

How many of the other tackles have you watched? 

I'd still have Thomas and Wirfs over bout for now

I've watched a lot of games of all of the top guys except Jackson (baby kept me from watching west coast games like usual this year), but I haven't studied them from a pro perspective. I will eventually.

It's just shocking when you watch Wills how much better he moves than the rest of them. And he's a mauler too. I don't know if it's better to label him as a mauler with great feet or an athlete with a mean streak. Either way, I want him at 6 more than anyone else as of now.

Unfortunately, PFF now has him as their OT1 going 4th overall in their updated mock this morning. The cat has been let out of the bag.

https://twitter.com/JReidNFL/status/1209171979187736577

I really believe the Jags will have a good shot at one of Wirfs, Jackson or Wills with their 2nd 1st rounder. Anyone of these three added to Brown would be a great start to re-building this team.

(12-24-2019, 10:59 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 10:43 AM)Upper Wrote: I've watched a lot of games of all of the top guys except Jackson (baby kept me from watching west coast games like usual this year), but I haven't studied them from a pro perspective. I will eventually.

It's just shocking when you watch Wills how much better he moves than the rest of them. And he's a mauler too. I don't know if it's better to label him as a mauler with great feet or an athlete with a mean streak. Either way, I want him at 6 more than anyone else as of now.

Unfortunately, PFF now has him as their OT1 going 4th overall in their updated mock this morning. The cat has been let out of the bag.

https://twitter.com/JReidNFL/status/1209171979187736577

I really believe the Jags will have a good shot at one of Wirfs, Jackson or Wills with their 2nd 1st rounder. Anyone of these three added to Brown would be a great start to re-building this team.

I really hope Jackson declares. I believe Wirfs will most probably be gone though. I just don't wanna try an Alabama OT who has never played LT in college and hope he takes to the position in the NFL. Trey Adams of Washington, Josh Jones of Houston and John Runyan Jr. are guys I'd be looking at if Jackson stays in school and Wirfs is gone. All have extensive experience at LT and have played very well at the position.

Trey Smith would be super intriguing assuming 1) he comes out and 2) his medical is clear.

He looked like a Quenton Nelson level player before all the blood clot stuff.

(12-24-2019, 04:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I really hope Jackson declares. I believe Wirfs will most probably be gone though. I just don't wanna try an Alabama OT who has never played LT in college and hope he takes to the position in the NFL. Trey Adams of Washington, Josh Jones of Houston and John Runyan Jr. are guys I'd be looking at if Jackson stays in school and Wirfs is gone. All have extensive experience at LT and have played very well at the position.

Wills Jr at 6, keep him at RT, and Jackson at 20 then. Live up to your username.

(12-24-2019, 08:36 PM)Upper Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 04:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I really hope Jackson declares. I believe Wirfs will most probably be gone though. I just don't wanna try an Alabama OT who has never played LT in college and hope he takes to the position in the NFL. Trey Adams of Washington, Josh Jones of Houston and John Runyan Jr. are guys I'd be looking at if Jackson stays in school and Wirfs is gone. All have extensive experience at LT and have played very well at the position.

Wills Jr at 6, keep him at RT, and Jackson at 20 then. Live up to your username.

What about the run defense? Derrick Brown is about as sure a thing as there is in this draft. I don't wanna lose out on him, because it's pretty much a crapshoot the rest of the way when it comes to finding a true run stuffing NT. I'm all for building the O-Line, but there's no sense in neglecting the run defense in the process. We get a LT or Center at #20 (Austin Jackson or Tyler Biadasz) and follow up with another O-Linemen in round 2 (Trey Adams, Solomon Kindley, Josh Jones, Trey Smith, John Runyan Jr. or John Simpson. 

I recently did a 7 round mock draft, 225 picks. I have the Jags taking........

1. Derrick Brown, NT, Auburn
1. Austin Jackson, OLT, USC
2. Solomon Kindley, OG, Georgia
3. Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah
4. Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming
5. Harrison Bryant, TE, FAU
6. Cale Garrett, LB, Missouri
6. Omar Bayless, WR, Arkansas State
7. Rodney Clemons, S, SMU

(12-24-2019, 08:36 PM)Upper Wrote:

Taylor has shown enough to be RT for next year

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2019, 05:33 PM by Upper.)

(12-24-2019, 09:39 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 08:36 PM)Upper Wrote: Wills Jr at 6, keep him at RT, and Jackson at 20 then. Live up to your username.

Taylor has shown enough to be RT for next year

He's been ok, but he's struggled exactly where I expected him to. And I don't think they are deficiencies that he is going to overcome with experience/development.

I'm not rushing out to replace him, but if BAP with the first few picks is a player that I would project at RT I would not hesitate to kick Taylor inside either.

I still feel Biadasz is the best olineman in the draft. Of course he's interior so the position value isn't as high but RG has been the weakest link on this offense for years and he fixes that whether it be him or Linder at RG

(12-25-2019, 04:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I still feel Biadasz is the best olineman in the draft.  Of course he's interior so the position value isn't as high but RG has been the weakest link on this offense for years and he fixes that whether it be him or Linder at RG

RG has certainly been a problem position, but with the way Norwell has been playing, LG is almost as important. Especially considering how bad Robinson has been at LT. We really can't go wrong drafting any O-Line position other than RT. Not because Taylor has been good, (he hasn't,) but I don't see the team giving up on him after just one season.

(12-25-2019, 04:45 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I still feel Biadasz is the best olineman in the draft.  Of course he's interior so the position value isn't as high but RG has been the weakest link on this offense for years and he fixes that whether it be him or Linder at RG

It is critical that the Jaguars take 2 offensive linemen with their first 4 picks. Pick one is reserved for Derrick Brown, but two of the next three need to be an offensive tackle and guard. If Wirfs, Jackson or Wills aren't available, Biadasz would be a very good and very safe pick with the selection belonging to the Rams. Trey Adams or Leatherwood might then be available in round 2 and either would be solid choices at tackle.