Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Would you draft Tua at #20 for the Jags?

He won't make it to us, but I'd take him at 9.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Earlier in the thread I said I would take him at 20 because it would not be that big of an investment at 20.

But upon further reflection, the only way he lasts to pick # 20 is if his hip is severely damaged to the point where a whole boatload of teams pass on him. And at that point, I would have second thoughts.

Him falling to # 20 would tell me he has a very serious medical issue. So, in an absence of any other knowledge, I think I would say no.

Even if he somehow made it past to pick 9 (which I do believe he won't; Chargers and other teams still have QB needs as well) I still look at this team and see issues on both trenches. I see a guy that team has invested tons of capital in, in Foles (unfortunately). I see Gardner Minshew holding up and playing as well as if not better than any other rookie QB last year. With all of that going on, as I've said elsewhere, if you put aside the other SERIOUS needs this team has for the Oline, defensive upgrades, and even receiving playmakers for whoever QBs this team, why would you bring in a third QB to a team already having somewhat of a QB controversy (I know, we all think Minshew is clearly better than Foles, but who knows what the coaches are gonna say when camps start.)

I'm not saying Tua may not be a fantastic addition to the pantheon of young QBs in this new era; maybe he will. But with everythhing going on with his hip, assuming it's still a grey area come draft time, along with all of the other injuries he's suffered over time, as well as EVERYTHING ELSE Jacksonville's dealing with? Yeah, I like the guy, but I don't see drafting him as essential. If he and Brown are somehow available at pick 9, I know which one i'm taking, and it won't be Tua. Call me crazy.

To play along with the hypothetical:

I am thinking as if I am Dave Caldwell, and not just some Jags GM with a lifetime contract. If Tua is there at 20, that means that:
1) His medicals did not come back as positively as anticipated during pre-draft workouts or combine.
2) Everybody else with glaring needs at QB have either passed on him to take a different QB (not a good look at all for him) or to take a player at a different position who represents greater value (not a good look either, but less damaging).
3) Every other GM in the league has suffered a stroke and forgot that he was on the board.

If it's the case of #1 or the second part of #2 above, I strongly entertain offers for our 20th pick. If I can move back a few spots and get some more picks in the second (or another first next year) for a team that still needs a QB and is willing to pay for the pick, I jump at the chance.

If everybody else has passed on him, that's a red flag. Did he not test well? Did the medicals show a poor prognosis? Did he simply state that he would not sign a deal if those teams in need of QB picked him (also a la Bo Jackson!)?

If everything checks out and he is still there (Very unlikely), and nobody is willing to move up to get him (also unlikely), I would consider it, but would have to get buy-in from the Owner. If our expectation is to win now, I'm not taking a guy who is going to need time to recuperate or won't likely unseat either of the guys we already have on the roster. Why else would he be there at 20, other than needing time to heal? I probably find other guys at positions of need that grade similarly but can see the field right away.

TLDR version - I doubt I would, in the extremely unlikely chance he's there. He would only be there for reasons that make him undraftable.

Yes, there's only three players worthy of a top ten selection and he's one of them.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Many FO guys are saying they still think Tua goes top 5, so our chances of getting one of Brown, Simmons, Okudah, or Wills Jr should be awfully high.

(01-08-2020, 01:49 PM)Upper Wrote: Many FO guys are saying they still think Tua goes top 5, so our chances of getting one of Brown, Simmons, Okudah, or Wills Jr should be awfully high.
1. Cincy- Burrow
2. Wash-Young
3. Det- Okudah
4. NYG-Thomas
5. Mia- Tua
6. LAC- Wildcard
7. Car- Brown
8. Ari- Simmons
9. Jac- ?

Jeudy? Willis?

(01-08-2020, 01:55 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 01:49 PM)Upper Wrote: Many FO guys are saying they still think Tua goes top 5, so our chances of getting one of Brown, Simmons, Okudah, or Wills Jr should be awfully high.
1. Cincy- Burrow
2. Wash-Young
3. Det- Okudah
4. NYG-Thomas
5. Mia- Tua
6. LAC- Wildcard
7. Car- Brown
8. Ari- Simmons
9. Jac- ?

Jeudy? Willis?
THIS^^^^ BASICALLY
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

1. Cincy- Burrow
2. Wash-Young
3. Det- Okudah
4. NYG-Thomas
5. Mia- Tua
6. LAC- Wildcard
7. Car- Brown
8. Ari- Simmons
9. Jac- ?

Jeudy? Willis?

Trade back.  I think Herbert goes to LA

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2020, 04:48 PM by Upper.)

1. Cincy- Burrow
2. Wash-Young
3. Det- Okudah
4. NYG-Thomas
5. Mia- Tua
6. LAC- Wildcard
7. Car- Brown
8. Ari- Simmons
9. Jac- ?

Jeudy? Willis?

I think Herbert ultimately goes to one of the Dolphins/Panthers/Chargers trio too. 3 top 7 QBs. And then probably Jeudy or Lamb to the Cardinals, leaving us with Simmons if I had to guess this early. I think Wills, Brown, and Okudah will be gone.

Maybe he is there at 9 or 20 because he needs a year to heal. In that case we would be the perfect team for him. A team like MIA may not have the patience for that.

Minshew gets a year to show progress. Good competition in 2021. Winner starts, loser traded (or excellent young backup). I would sign up for 20 right now. 9 if a couple of blue chip guys are off the board.

I'm kinda starting to think Simmons wont be there. But if he is it would be a hard decision between him and Brown. LBs that run in the 4.3s and as good as Simmons is dont come around that often

Too won't last until 20.  If he's there at 9, you take him and don't think twice.  

Minshew may or may not be the man, but we've missed too many times on franchise QB's because we thought we were set at the position. Of course, by keeping DM/DC they'll be in win-now mode and reach for positions of need rather than taking a franchise-changing QB like Tua.

Pass. Weak arm and injury prone. Looked good in college because he played with elite athletes.

(01-06-2020, 09:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 06:48 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I don't watch a lot of CFB. Can someone do a comparison between Tua and Minshew? On paper they seem a fairly similar other than pedigree.

I think they are pretty similar players, Minshew is a much better player under pressure.  Tua always had a ton of time and the best WR in the country, the few times he faced a little pressure he folded.  If he came here it would be no different.  The Colts would be a great spot for him being they have one of the best olines in football and Hilton

Thanks, and yeah that's why I'm asking. They seem fairly similar. 

Same height, same arm strength, both good at manuevering in the pocket. 

What are we getting with Tua that separates him from a player we already have in Minshew, that makes him worth a top 10 pick? 

Is he just otherworldly great at reading defenses? Pinpoint accuracy?

(01-09-2020, 02:08 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(01-06-2020, 09:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I think they are pretty similar players, Minshew is a much better player under pressure.  Tua always had a ton of time and the best WR in the country, the few times he faced a little pressure he folded.  If he came here it would be no different.  The Colts would be a great spot for him being they have one of the best olines in football and Hilton

Thanks, and yeah that's why I'm asking. They seem fairly similar. 

Same height, same arm strength, both good at manuevering in the pocket. 

What are we getting with Tua that separates him from a player we already have in Minshew, that makes him worth a top 10 pick? 

Is he just otherworldly great at reading defenses? Pinpoint accuracy?

He is more accurate when he has a clean pocket but he wont have the clean pocket like he did at Alabama and his WRs wont always be wide open like at Alabama.   The gap between the 2 isn't that big and Minshew has showed he can do it at the next level withe one of the worst olines in the league and no TE.

Pinpoint accuracy is Tua's biggest strength yes. He has some of the best ball placement I've ever seen.

(01-09-2020, 09:51 AM)Upper Wrote: Pinpoint accuracy is Tua's biggest strength yes. He has some of the best ball placement I've ever seen.

How do you rate Minshew's accuracy?

(01-09-2020, 02:42 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(01-09-2020, 09:51 AM)Upper Wrote: Pinpoint accuracy is Tua's biggest strength yes. He has some of the best ball placement I've ever seen.

How do you rate Minshew's accuracy?

Better the deeper he throws, which isn't too surprising considering the air raid offense he came from. So I'd say bad when he's throwing short, average on intermediate passes, and excellent on those deep sideline balls.

Six first round QBs bodes well for the Jaguars considering it will bump some players to our 41pick as well.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.